Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

angryhampster posted:

My god that drive would be absolutely miserable. Coast to coast across the US is about the same distance but would at least be entertaining some of the time.

It's pretty good actually, the worst part would be if you were heading Perth to Sydney, so you had to travel through interior NSW on the barrier highway, the inland sucks from broken hill to dubbo. That's straight mad max (old school) territory.

Don't forget from SA/Adelaide to melbourne, there's a bit of winery/tourist country, murray river and stuff, plus you could go the coastal route all around Vic.

I've driven Perth - syd straight across (sucks), also mel-perth (along the coast as much as possible), also Perth - canarvon (I was heading far north as possible as a could before work called me back, and that's as far as I could get at a leisurely pace in that time
I've done Syd to the daintree/cape tribulation, but that was cheating as I flew from perth to sydney and then took a hire car up from there.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Have you ever wanted a car that scored a '6'? Have you ever wanted to drive across Germany in a deathtrap? Well, here's your chance!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I just was given a copy of How to Land an Airbus A330. I can't help but hear May's voice when I read it and it's perfect.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

Theres also an audio book version, read by May. It is superb.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I just was given a copy of How to Land an Airbus A330. I can't help but hear May's voice when I read it and it's perfect.

Ha, I just got a copy of that 2 days ago.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It's basically Man Lab in book form. Great read...or listen to in my case since I got the audiobook.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Preoptopus posted:

I think Mike puts it on for the show because if he was like that IRL no mechanic ever would work with him. And to be frank, I dont believe that Edd has nothing to do with what cars they select.
I personally skip over the Mike parts because they are more boring than anything. gently caress staged transactions, I wanna see valve adjustments on a Lamborghini.
Ehhh... The Mike parts where he actively does some sort of work on the car by sourcing parts are pretty cool. Also, having binged on quite a few episodes there are a few instances where Mike says,"Edd helped me find the car."
EDIT:
Also, a large amount of that show is pretty gimmicky as I don't think Mike would hunt down ridiculously rare cars in some instances if you want to make money.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 23, 2015

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

nmfree posted:

Have you ever wanted a car that scored a '6'? Have you ever wanted to drive across Germany in a deathtrap? Well, here's your chance!

Lol! Wasn't that car so worn out and held together by baling wire that it didn't technically pass inspection for German licensing?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Ehhh... The Mike parts where he actively does some sort of work on the car by sourcing parts are pretty cool. Also, having binged on quite a few episodes there are a few instances where Mike says,"Edd helped me find the car."
EDIT:
Also, a large amount of that show is pretty gimmicky as I don't think Mike would hunt down ridiculously rare cars in some instances if you want to make money.

Well, sure, but the whole show is a gimmick. They only make a profit if you say that both their time is worth nothing and they seem to spend many days on each car in the workshop.

If they were doing it for a profit, they'd put sawdust in the noisy gearbox, remove bulbs from the idiot lights and repair everything with expoy glue.*

*Why yes, I have bought a used car before.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

spog posted:

Well, sure, but the whole show is a gimmick. They only make a profit if you say that both their time is worth nothing and they seem to spend many days on each car in the workshop.

If they were doing it for a profit, they'd put sawdust in the noisy gearbox, remove bulbs from the idiot lights and repair everything with expoy glue.*

*Why yes, I have bought a used car before.
Yeah your first argument is right but honestly that doesn't really make the show a gimmick more than the absurdity of flipping stuff in general. I do agree with the second part of your argument as even in the show they Mike says he could flip a lot of the cars without doing anything.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I was rewatching some top gear episodes and noticed this fellow.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I was rewatching some top gear episodes and noticed this fellow.

Al Gore really let himself go after the election.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?
Dude that's clearly Hugo Chavez. The state press weren't lying when they said he beat cancer.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
So any word on when we will see the remaining episodes from this season?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So apparently you can now pay large amounts of money to drive a lap on the top gear track. I can't tell if the company doing this just bought the name rights from the BBC or is actually founded by the BBC. ( https://topgeartrackexperience.com/ )

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Ika posted:

So apparently you can now pay large amounts of money to drive a lap on the top gear track. I can't tell if the company doing this just bought the name rights from the BBC or is actually founded by the BBC. ( https://topgeartrackexperience.com/ )

quote:

© BBC and Top Gear (word marks and logos) are trademarks of the British Broadcasting Corporation and are used under licence.
BBC logo © BBC 1996. Top Gear logo © BBC 2005. Licensed by BBC Worldwide Limited

Top Gear Track Experience is run by TGXP Ltd under license from the BBC.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

That is why I said it is a separate company. But I don't know whether that means somebody came up with the idea, and paid the BBC tons of money to se the name, or whether the BBC WW just created the company for some legal/tax reasons.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/04/top-gear-bbc-in-james-may-richard-hammond-jeremy-clarkson

Hammond and May are being offered a million quid per show, each, to stay on Top Gear with a series of rotating co-hosts.

The paper speculates that this could leave the door open for JC to return as a 'guest' presenter, or possibly come back full time in a future series.

EDIt not per show.

spog fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 4, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

spog posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/04/top-gear-bbc-in-james-may-richard-hammond-jeremy-clarkson

Hammond and May are being offered a million quid per show, each, to stay on Top Gear with a series of rotating co-hosts.

The paper speculates that this could leave the door open for JC to return as a 'guest' presenter, or possibly come back full time in a future series.

Their schtick won't feel right without Jeremy there. I just can' t imagine Hammond+May plus some other guy working.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Their schtick won't feel right without Jeremy there. I just can' t imagine Hammond+May plus some other guy working.

No, but a million quid is a lot of money. It doesn't matter as much to them, I'm sure, but goddamn.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Ika posted:

That's not expensive at all! I would totally pay 200 Pounds Sterling to drive around the TG track in a goddam Ariel Atom.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

KillHour posted:

No, but a million quid is a lot of money. It doesn't matter as much to them, I'm sure, but goddamn.

Actually, correction: only a million quid in total, not per show. Sorry.

£1.15M per year, each

I wonder how much they get from TG residuals, tie-ins etc.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is that even enough to buy a Veyron? I wouldn't do it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Especially if they get a show on Netflix or something, I'd imagine that'd have the potential to be worth a lot more.

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

spog posted:

EDIt not per show.

I'd be disappointed if they accepted. Mostly because I want the three of them to make a new show together somewhere else, but also because it'd be lovely if they opted for money they don't really need over friendship.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I could see it working if its just the two of them doing a video and then back to the studio, but If they try to add a third person into the group it probably isn't going to work.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
As Slow said, the three of them work well together for compliant reasons. I think the only way Hamster and Slow will come back to Top Gear as presenters will be in Clarkson is with them.

And one million pounds for a entire year of Top Gear is not as good as it sounds. Those guy spend so much time working and away from there families that it won't seem all that great. They have said that the only way that could spend more time together would be if they shared a bathroom. I am not saying I wouldn't take the money and get to travel the world making cock jokes, but I understand why they probably have defferent opinions on it.

My two cents.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
As presenters you need all three (and I don't really want just two to come back to the show), but if you pick any two to do a segment with then it works rather well.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

spog posted:

Actually, correction: only a million quid in total, not per show. Sorry.

Amazing that there are shows in the US where the actors do get a million dollars an episode, for 20-something episodes a year.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

smackfu posted:

Amazing that there are shows in the US where the actors do get a million dollars an episode, for 20-something episodes a year.

Is it though? We have ads during our shows so if a show is good and the actors are killing it, more people are watching which means advertisers want their ads in there which means you pay the actors more.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'll just take this as another step in getting back to Top Gear normality. The BBC have realized they need Top Gear, tried to find new hosts, realized it wouldn't be the same and have tried to tempt the other two back. Just a few more months and they'll finally give in and begrudgingly offer Clarkson a new contract. With the continued success of the live show they'd be daft to keep being so stubborn over the matter.

The rotating host worked for Have I Got News For You because the host wasn't the heart of that show and it's primarily a guest based show to begin with.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

I'll just take this as another step in getting back to Top Gear normality. The BBC have realized they need Top Gear, tried to find new hosts, realized it wouldn't be the same and have tried to tempt the other two back. Just a few more months and they'll finally give in and begrudgingly offer Clarkson a new contract. With the continued success of the live show they'd be daft to keep being so stubborn over the matter.

The rotating host worked for Have I Got News For You because the host wasn't the heart of that show and it's primarily a guest based show to begin with.

I'm concerned about the possibility of Jeremy getting back on Top Gear. At this point, I'm afraid the sheer size of the poo poo eating grin this will cause may rip a hole in space and time itself.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yours, or his?

But yeah, this all reads to me like they're basically promising a return to status quo ante bellum within like a year or two. Time enough to develop a narrative, publish a book, smooth things over backstage, and rehearse the smug face to end all smug faces for the most watched comeback episode in TV history.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

RillAkBea posted:

Not to mention that it's hard to compare Angus 'Autocue' Deayton with Jezza who not only writes all the dialogue, but also the show itself.

Data Graham posted:

But yeah, this all reads to me like they're basically promising a return to status quo ante bellum within like a year or two. Time enough to develop a narrative, publish a book, smooth things over backstage, and rehearse the smug face to end all smug faces for the most watched comeback episode in TV history.

It is literally in everyone's interest to get it back as it was. The Beeb gets loads of money, the fans get to continue enjoying the show, the car industry gets probably the only positive media aimed at normal folk and the UK gets positive worldwide image.

Even the anti-TG elements, such as The Guardian, would miss on this giant bogeyman to bang on and generate hits on their website.

The only person who might not be a fan of returning to the status quo is the poor sod who got hit, and even then, I am not sure that'd he'd have a problem with it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

He's called "Oisin," who gives a poo poo.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Here is the thing, while the BBC might be offering what is a obscene amount of money for them, pretty much every other player out there is likely offering the same if not more money to all of them along with other perks like owning the show and having a piece of the merch.

I think this might be a case of the BBC realizing that they killed the golden goose and are trying anything to come out of this in good shape. They know May and Hammond aren't going to resign with them but they can throw out a big money (for them) offer and leak it to the press. In their mind it looks like they are the good guys and the Boys are being unreasonable. Honestly it would be the best for the BBC to just let the Top Gear name rest for a bit and then bring it back with a new format. You can recreate the wheel so don't even try.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

"Can you double that to 2 mil quid"

"also, let us choose the guest stars"

"And not ever veto it"

"This season's lineup starts with Clarkson, followed by Clarkson, etc"

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I think the point where rich white dudes can publicly get away with crimes like this is more than likely in the past, especially at the BBC. I'll be absolutely shocked if he appears on top gear another time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I think the point where rich white dudes can publicly get away with crimes like this is more than likely in the past, especially at the BBC. I'll be absolutely shocked if he appears on top gear another time

What crime is that? He wasn't charged with anything, by anyone.