Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Dave Ramsey once said "You can't walk into a Walmart without spending at least $200." Granted he was talking to his child rearing followers still on baby step one or two, but he wasn't wrong. A lot of people just go insane in those places.

In Antioch, TN the mega Walmart is way, way nicer than the Target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I remember a supply chain professor sharing an anecdote that Wal Mart experimented with a more organized layout and more orderly shelving. The test markets didn't respond well to it. I guess some people like digging through a pallet of $5 DVDs to find the one they want.

He also used to say that he likes going to the dollar store, because he doesn't have to dress up like when he goes to Wal Mart :v:

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I was just in the states with my British fiancé and was giving the Americana tour. We stopped at Walmart in Waco and it was everything People Of Walmart said it would be. Holy moly, fat people on rascals, methed out ladies wearing very little clothing, people shouting across the store for a manager, there was nothing remotely classy about this place. And we still spent $200!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruen_transfer

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Subjunctive posted:

They want merchandise density and people to be exposed to a lot of items as they wander around. Nothing about it is an accident.

Yes, I know that it's by design. The design is such that I will avoid the store except as a very last resort, though.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
People who loudly avoid Wal-Mart do so mostly to feel superior to others.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Switchback posted:

I was just in the states with my British fiancé and was giving the Americana tour. We stopped at Walmart in Waco and it was everything People Of Walmart said it would be. Holy moly, fat people on rascals, methed out ladies wearing very little clothing, people shouting across the store for a manager, there was nothing remotely classy about this place. And we still spent $200!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruen_transfer

Which one? Waco has shithole Walmarts and also a decently nice one.

(I used to live there, I'm glad I got out)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Switchback posted:

And we still spent $200!

Whenever I go to Aldi I skip renting the shopping cart and haul everything by hand. Even if I find an empty box, about the most I can carry is $30 worth of merchandise.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

High Lord Elbow posted:

I buy Mobil 1 Synthetic there because it's way loving cheaper, but I generally avoid it for most purchases if I can because gently caress The Waltons™.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

High Lord Elbow posted:

People who [verb] always [verb]

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

High Lord Elbow posted:

Yeah well I don't own a tv

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The day I was moving into a new apartment in a nicer area I mentioned running to Wal-mart to get some quick supplies and my apartment manager looked like I had just told her I was gonna poo poo on the floor. I don't get it.

Also I stopped going there. Society and humans are weird.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

blugu64 posted:

Yeah well I don't own a tv

But are you vegan?

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Bad with money:

I was talking to my mom today, she's semi retired from her nursing career (she's got medicare, and now that my dad can get insurance through the ACA, she doesn't have to keep working full time so he'll have insurance. Thanks Obama!) but still works three days a week. She mentioned that they had called her to ask if she could work extra hours and she said no. I asked if they pay extra for OT, and she said they get time-and-a-half, and they're allowed to negotiate for 2x. So the scheduling manager could call you and ask you to work OT, and you can say "yeah, but only for double time". And then it's up to the scheduling manager to either pay it or find someone else.

I asked if she ever does this and she told me "no, because I don't want to gouge the company". Ugggggh. My mom spends hours each evening working on charts, totally uncompensated, in complete violation of labor laws. I told her she has Stockholm syndrome and she just laughed and said most nurses do.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Blackjack2000 posted:

My mom spends hours each evening working on charts, totally uncompensated, in complete violation of labor laws. I told her she has Stockholm syndrome and she just laughed and said most nurses do.

poo poo, she might as well be a teacher.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Subjunctive posted:

poo poo, she might as well be a teacher.

I visited my high school after graduating from university and my former teachers, who now felt more comfortable discussing work stuff with me i guess, were at one point talking about how many YEARS of paid/sick leave each person has not used over the decades.

hosed up.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
When my mother retired from teaching she had a year and a half of paid time off, so she was paid at the normal salary for that time before she had to start drawing her pension.

And then went to work part time at a children's museum and still brought her work home with her like she was still teaching.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

CannonFodder posted:

When my mother retired from teaching she had a year and a half of paid time off, so she was paid at the normal salary for that time before she had to start drawing her pension.

And then went to work part time at a children's museum and still brought her work home with her like she was still teaching.

That sounds like a quick way to end up on the wrong end of an Amber Alert.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Zo posted:

at one point talking about how many YEARS of paid/sick leave each person has not used over the decades.

Though they are usually able to take this into account when they retire, so they could "retire" and get their full salary for a couple of years and then get their real retirement. So, actually good with money?

e:f,b

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The Nards Pan posted:

That sounds like a quick way to end up on the wrong end of an Amber Alert.

There's a right end of an amber alert?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gold and a Pager posted:

Though they are usually able to take this into account when they retire, so they could "retire" and get their full salary for a couple of years and then get their real retirement. So, actually good with money?

e:f,b

Depends on when they were hired. I know I had a couple middle school gym teachers who retired with at least a year of sick leave to burn. Probably if they were hired in the 70s/80s and those kinds of things got grandfathered in, but many new contracts (especially in right-to-work states) have a use-it-or-lose-it after a certain number of years.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Depends on when they were hired. I know I had a couple middle school gym teachers who retired with at least a year of sick leave to burn. Probably if they were hired in the 70s/80s and those kinds of things got grandfathered in, but many new contracts (especially in right-to-work states) have a use-it-or-lose-it after a certain number of years.

At the private school I was doing my first practicum at they didn't pay out annual leave on retirement, but I think you could take everything you accumulated at the end like that. Sick leave I think just went away (if you're out more than a day you need a doctor's note, not being able to BS it may have something to do with it), although it's not a bad idea to have a bunch stockpiled, especially as you get older and the chance of something putting you out of commission for a while increases.

My old Board of Education in Japan were jerks actually breaking the law and wouldn't let the foreign teachers take their remaining leave at the end of their contracts if it fell before the end of classes, even if the school themselves said they didn't need you and to go on ahead and take the vacation. People whinged about it but nobody actually had the stones to take the leave and go... what were they going to do, fire you? :ohdear:

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

But are you vegan?

Vegan? How 2000's, everyone knows that all the cool kids are gluten-free nowadays.

Enilev
Jun 11, 2001

Domesticated
Came across this article today. A couple had their car totaled after hitting a big pot hole:

quote:

They paid $50,000 for the car when it was brand new, selling both their old car and their son Phil's former car, dipping into savings and making nearly a decade of car payments.

It was a 2006 Acura TL, which had a list price of $36000. So they overpaid by a huge amount, sold other cars, and dipped into savings for a car that they had to pay on for 9 years. At least they weren't still upside down on the loan when they totaled it.

Though, to be fair, California roads are also bad with money. In San Jose, for example, many haven't been maintained in years:

quote:

Once a typical road hasn't been touched up in 10 years, it hits a tipping point and deteriorates rapidly, requiring construction that is three to five times more expensive than simple routine maintenance

Enilev fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 21, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Enilev posted:

Though, to be fair, California roads are also bad with money. In San Jose, for example, many haven't been maintained in years:
I wonder if they're as bad as many Michigan roads.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Never give up your position in a lane to drive in the median to avoid a driver slowly drifting into your lane

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

MrKatharsis posted:

Dave Ramsey once said "You can't walk into a Walmart without spending at least $200." Granted he was talking to his child rearing followers still on baby step one or two, but he wasn't wrong. A lot of people just go insane in those places.

In Antioch, TN the mega Walmart is way, way nicer than the Target.

In Antioch, TN there is no Target. It's been closed for like 2 years now. And if you are talking about the Walmart at Hamilton Church and Murfreesboro Rd, the store itself is nicer than the Target was, but the people working and shopping there are not.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I wonder if they're as bad as many Michigan roads.

Yes, but they got that way entirely without the help of snowplows and freeze-thaw cycles.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

DJCobol posted:

In Antioch, TN there is no Target. It's been closed for like 2 years now. And if you are talking about the Walmart at Hamilton Church and Murfreesboro Rd, the store itself is nicer than the Target was, but the people working and shopping there are not.

Woops, I moved out about three years ago. That Target was gross and both the Murfreesboro Rd and Nolensville Pike Walmarts were way nicer. How does the saying go? Any place where you can buy both a steak and underwear is a place where you shouldn't buy either?

I miss both Waffle House and Steak and Shake. Those made for some good with money date nights.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

MrKatharsis posted:

Woops, I moved out about three years ago. That Target was gross and both the Murfreesboro Rd and Nolensville Pike Walmarts were way nicer. How does the saying go? Any place where you can buy both a steak and underwear is a place where you shouldn't buy either?
I would disagree with that statement. In the Midwest, Meijer is awesome. Being from the home of Meijer and being accustomed to having at least one in every town, I really miss them since the closest one is in Bowling Green.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Hey all, I think I've got a pretty good BWM here...

I know of a government office with a high percentage of people that have been employed there for less than 2 years. During your 6 month probationary period a portion of your paycheck is deposited into a pre-tax 457 retirement account. After 6 months you're automatically switched to the government pension fund, but that initial amount of ~$1200 remains in a 457 money market account accruing basically nothing. You can move it to different funds at your leisure, and of course continue to contribute to it at your discretion.

Well some decided around month 9 or so that they'd just rather cash out that money (first bad with money decision). They pay the taxes & whatever applicable penalties there may have been(bwm x2) and wind up with ~$800. Unbeknownst to them, they were not supposed to be able to withdraw this money until 2 years of inactivity on the account. So yesterday a bunch of folks walked in pissed as hell with letters saying they need to pay the full pre-tax amount back ($1200) plus presumed interest, plus administrative fees, by June 30th or they will go to collections. So far as I can tell, these poor souls paid taxes & fees for 2/3 of their money, will likely pay post-tax dollars to refill that pre-tax account, & pay taxes on it once again when they finally do cash out legitimately.

A lot of that is not really their fault, since they were allowed to take the money in the first place, but yeah.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Is buying poo poo at 0% interest bad with money?

I was going to buy an Apple Watch, which I've budgeted for, but they're offering me 0% interest on purchases made over 12 months. Tempted to take it up and just reduce my budgeted spending money by the payment rate,. Maybe subsidise it by cutting some things.

It's me. I'm bad with money aren't I.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

0% is one of those things that can be useful even if you could buy it out right. It shouldn't be used as a crutch and or way to buy luxaries you cant actually afford though.

We are paying for our honeymoon with a 0% credit deal. We have the cash to pay it off in one go but rather than asking for wedding presents (since we already have a kettle, toaster and everything housewise) we are asking people to chip in on the honeymoon and rather than take stuff out of investments we would rather see how much we owe after that and decide how to pay.

So yeah no idea if people agree on that but I see 0% as good with money or at least neutral when used for "tactical flexibility" rather than buying things you can't afford.

E- oh and ensure you avoid the obvious trap. Never miss a payment on any 0% stuff ever!

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

CelestialScribe posted:

I was going to buy an Apple Watch, which I've budgeted for, but they're offering me 0% interest on purchases made over 12 months. Tempted to take it up and just reduce my budgeted spending money by the payment rate,. Maybe subsidise it by cutting some things.

It's me. I'm bad with money aren't I.

Not sure if apple specifically does this, but many store credit options will retroactively charge you interest based on the original purchase price for the entire interest free period if you do not paid it off 100% in full by the end of the 12 months. Also as Cast_No_Shadow said make sure not to miss a single payment, as this typically will immediately end the interest free offer.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

I was going to buy an Apple Watch

Just stop right there.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

But I've already got an ironic beard, live in California and follow the paleo diet!

I need something, anything to fill the void until I collapse into my embittered 30's, as millions before me have.

Content:

My former co-worker told me today that a local bank approved his brother for a $10k loan.

The reason for that loan? I don't know what he told the bank, but he freely admits that he's going to start a grow room.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

That writer gives too much of a poo poo about apple watches. They seem worse than the people they're writing about.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Haha, the author gets absolutely slayed in that second comment.

Also don't buy things you can't really afford just because you're getting 0% interest.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Sic Semper Goon posted:

But I've already got an ironic beard, live in California and follow the paleo diet!

I need something, anything to fill the void until I collapse into my embittered 30's, as millions before me have.

Content:

My former co-worker told me today that a local bank approved his brother for a $10k loan.

The reason for that loan? I don't know what he told the bank, but he freely admits that he's going to start a grow room.
Agricultural cash crops with high demand is good with money, but this case is bad with legality.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Barry posted:

Haha, the author gets absolutely slayed in that second comment.

Also don't buy things you can't really afford just because you're getting 0% interest.

But absolutely buy them on 0% if you can afford them (and in real terms if I'm saving up to buy something and I get zero percent, I would factor it into my emergency fund and if it worked right I might buy it a month or two earlier).

In practical terms I do this with some of my budgets. I've saved thousands for a trip at the end of the year but needed a new small PC after a failure. I had recently spent a bit on a big purchase from my tech budget, so I gave myself a zero percent loan knowing I could pay it back to myself before the end of the year. Adding other people just changed the math, not the logic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Content:

sounds like bad with money on the bank's part - usually VCs get equity in the business

• Locked thread