Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

cat doter posted:

Does the clock speed of RAM even matter? I've always heard it was timings or whatever.

http://anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I'm thinking of overclocking my i5 2500k. This will be the first time I've attempted overclocking, so I'm going to try and understand what's being said in the OP. But first, what is the max tempurature I should be getting on my i5 using a stock fan running at max load? I always seem to get around 80 degrees C. But the OP mentions that 72 is the recommended safe tempurature when overclocking, so I might be quite a ways away from even attempting this.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Just buy a cheap cooler like the 212 EVO, it's not worth the trouble of working with the stock one unless you're completely broke.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I'm thinking of overclocking my i5 2500k. This will be the first time I've attempted overclocking, so I'm going to try and understand what's being said in the OP. But first, what is the max tempurature I should be getting on my i5 using a stock fan running at max load? I always seem to get around 80 degrees C. But the OP mentions that 72 is the recommended safe tempurature when overclocking, so I might be quite a ways away from even attempting this.

I did exactly the same thing with the same processor and stock cooler a while ago and I was also getting around 80 degrees while on high loads. I got myself a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and now I've overclocked it to 4.400 MHz and I'm running 60 degrees while on 100% load.

tl;dr: get an aftermarket cooler, the stock for the 2500k sucks arse.

/edit: ^^^^ what he said. If you want go to my post history on this thread and you'll see a few posts with people recommending coolers and talking about overclocking the 2500k.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Well drat I think I'll do just that. Thanks!

Now I'm just annoyed that I've worn my CPU down at this tempurature for like 3 years.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Now I'm just annoyed that I've worn my CPU down at this tempurature for like 3 years.

You may have shortened your cpu lifespan from 35 years to 34.5 years

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DarkAvenger211 posted:

By max load do you mean a torture test like Prime95? They hit unrealistically high temperatures you'll almost never see in real world use.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

You may have shortened your cpu lifespan from 35 years to 34.5 years

Haha good to know.

And by max load I kind of mean the most my machine will work when chugging a game like GTA 5, or Dwarf fortress or something CPU intensive. Not actually working it to the max 100% of the time.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno about you but GTA5 maxes the hell out of my i5 quite frequently. The most CPU intensive game I've played in recent times.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

I dunno about you but GTA5 maxes the hell out of my i5 quite frequently. The most CPU intensive game I've played in recent times.

Does it stutter for you when it hits 100%?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Does it stutter for you when it hits 100%?

Not really? I did have minor occasional stutter that could've been attributed to the CPU but I just played the game a lot and didn't worry too much about performance. Definitely a CPU bottleneck often though, could do with a higher CPU clock than my stock clocks undervolted 3570K.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Assembled a new watercooling system and had a few tries for a decent gaming oc, I have these settings at the moment : http://valid.canardpc.com/f12a1e

Vcore seems excessive but it's not heating much, around 70c after 20 minutes of stress tests, any tips ?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Seems like 4.6 Ghz is my max, how come I can't go higher ? At 4.8Ghz the computer reboots if I put any load on the fpu

http://valid.canardpc.com/raeeu6

Temp is 83c after 30 minutes of stress test, I feel I should be able to go 5 Ghz but it just reboots for no reason, I'm confused

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
That pains me

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Sh4 posted:

Assembled a new watercooling system and had a few tries for a decent gaming oc, I have these settings at the moment : http://valid.canardpc.com/f12a1e

Vcore seems excessive but it's not heating much, around 70c after 20 minutes of stress tests, any tips ?

1.4 is too high. Try to keep it at 1.35V or less.

My Sandy Bridge i7-2600k runs at 4.3Ghz on stock voltage (1.25V), but 4.4Ghz immediately requires 1.36+.

Most of the time that extra 200MHz isn't worth it.

Try running the chip at 4.4-4.5Ghz and 1.35V.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I finally got my hands on a new cooler (coolermaster hyper 212x) and the Z77 board I ordered. Now I'm wondering, what temps and voltages should I be aiming for with an i5 3570k? I want a comfortable overclock rather than a total bleeding edge one, I'll be happy with anything over 4ghz though I'm aiming for 4.4.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

cat doter posted:

Wait...really? I have 16gb of RAM rated at 1600mhz and it's always been at 1333, I just assumed there was a mixup with my RAM but I didn't really care. Does the clock speed of RAM even matter? I've always heard it was timings or whatever.

Sounds like you haven't turned on XMP.

Cynagen
Aug 3, 2007
I love a lot of things, just not you.

cat doter posted:

Wait...really? I have 16gb of RAM rated at 1600mhz and it's always been at 1333, I just assumed there was a mixup with my RAM but I didn't really care. Does the clock speed of RAM even matter? I've always heard it was timings or whatever.

You'll notice a small difference with the speed adjustments. Timing adjustments are tied with speed for the most part, each timing number is a clock number of how frequently can the system send that kind of order to the RAM. The idea is to get those as tight as possible to the actual time it takes to complete a job on the stick of RAM, so that way we can send another order sooner than later. Turning on XMP will get the timings close, but not bleeding edge wasting few cycles, and for somebody new to overclocking, I would recommend just turning on XMP and leaving it as is. It's somewhat common to see sticks that are listed as 1600 automatically clock to 1333, this is a safe operating speed that requires no real concern for operating conditions as the speed is slower than what it can accomplish and the timings are extremely loose where we're wasting cycles, again, enabling XMP will correct. To analogize, the timing on the RAM is like the timing on your car's cylinders, spark plugs, and fuel injection, tinkering with it can yield some positive results, massive tinkering will break things. Once you're tuned in to multipliers, bus, and Vcore as the basics and have them down pat, then move on to the memory, in the meantime, set the speed up, and leave the timings alone, ESPECIALLY if you have mixed brand/model.

cat doter posted:

I finally got my hands on a new cooler (coolermaster hyper 212x) and the Z77 board I ordered. Now I'm wondering, what temps and voltages should I be aiming for with an i5 3570k? I want a comfortable overclock rather than a total bleeding edge one, I'll be happy with anything over 4ghz though I'm aiming for 4.4.

I'm sitting on a Haswell i5-4670k with a Z87 board and Corsair H80 watercooling. I can push this chip from 3.4 to 4.4 with a small bump to the Vcore (I think I had to push .6v extra) and only multipliers, and it's pretty stable, though it heats up REAL fast when I hit it with Prime95 x64. The 3570k is roughly the same, just Ivy Bridge which if I remember was one of the hotter models. Looks like operating voltage is about the same, I wouldn't push more than .5v extra, and you'll want to keep the chip temperature under 65c during load. Push up to your target speed step by step, there are reports of the 3570k operating at 4.2Ghz @ 1v but you'd likely need better cooling. I suspect you'll be fine somewhere around 4Ghz @ .75-.85v, the only concern would be the cooler keeping up and room/case temps.

Cynagen fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 19, 2015

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

So I think the motherboard I bought may be faulty, I press the power button and the fans spin up briefly, then stop, then they spin up briefly again, etc just looping over and over. No overclocking for me.

Though I did have the power cable half plugged into the power supply by accident when I plugged it into the power point, that's not an issue right?

Cynagen
Aug 3, 2007
I love a lot of things, just not you.
If you didn't plug it in all the way, you may have left crucial supplies disconnected. Reseat everything firmly and try again, provided that fails, then replace the board. 1155 is getting a little harder to find good replacements for.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I've seen that exact issue turn out to be a PSU before, and seen that issue to be a motherboard before. If you've got a spare PSU lying around or one you can borrow to test, thats probably a good start. Unless you didn't get a new PSU at the same time and youre still using the same PSU on that new board, its probably the board

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Ahdinko posted:

I've seen that exact issue turn out to be a PSU before, and seen that issue to be a motherboard before. If you've got a spare PSU lying around or one you can borrow to test, thats probably a good start. Unless you didn't get a new PSU at the same time and youre still using the same PSU on that new board, its probably the board

Good news, it was both! My PSU seemed to be on its last legs and whatever I did killed it. Bye bye 850w 80 plus silver rated PSU. Ive got a zalman 600w in there now. Bye bye Z77 chip set, gonna have to put in the old board for now.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gently caress me, guys, I had a hell of a day. Test my PSU? Dead. Test the new motherboard? Dead. Put my old hardware back in, test it, no boot, one of my RAM sticks? Dead. I didn't even get to overclock.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there any common factor in these dead systems?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is there any common factor in these dead systems?

I think the motherboard was DOA but it looks like the bad PSU took the RAM with it.

Wilks Checkov
May 20, 2015

Member: Dual Universe Explorers

Alpha Participant in Dual Universe

Founder & CEO of the corporation: Allied Corporate States in Dual Universe
Just overclocked my Asus ROG G73SW by following the information provided here.

Was Intel I7-2630QM @ 2.00GHZ {8}cpu

Now Intel I7-2630QM @ 2.12GHZ {8}cpu

Only noticing about a 6 Celsius temperature increase, so I may attempt to up it a little further.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Wilks Checkov posted:

Just overclocked my Asus ROG G73SW by following the information provided here.

Was Intel I7-2630QM @ 2.00GHZ {8}cpu

Now Intel I7-2630QM @ 2.12GHZ {8}cpu

Only noticing about a 6 Celsius temperature increase, so I may attempt to up it a little further.

Just be really careful with overclocking laptops, they're not generally built to remove more heat than they can produce at stock speeds.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rexxed posted:

Just be really careful with overclocking laptops, they're not generally built to remove more heat than they can produce at stock speeds.

Desktop-replacement and gaming laptops probably do a bit better than average, but yeah, you're not going to push a laptop too far. NVIDIA actually disabled overclocking on mobile chips in their newer driver releases citing heat dissipation problems.

Another problem I've run into is that once you overheat a laptop, you can "cook" the thermal paste. The paste will stop transmitting heat to the cooling system and you'll end up with more and more overheating until you open it up and re-do it. HP laptops, in particular, have the shittiest paste I've ever seen. It's just a time bomb waiting to go off.

The good news is that problem is totally fixable, unless you actually burned up a component. Grab a tube of Noctua NT-H1 off Amazon and go to town, it'll be way better. Also consider buying a replacement cooling assembly and a keyboard off ebay since you'll be taking it all apart anyway.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 22, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Paul MaudDib posted:

NVIDIA actually disabled overclocking on mobile chips in their newer driver releases citing heat dissipation problems.

Then they actually went back on that decision due to the uproar.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Then they actually went back on that decision due to the uproar.

And then they went back on going back on that decision due to uproar from their partners RMA departments, presumably :cop:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
"discovered that the latest GeForce drivers prevent overclocking if it reads a "lock-bit" in the video BIOS. "

I have no problem with this. Blame your laptop manufacturer in this case.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ive overclocked the 675m in my sager before but really there just isn't enough thermal headroom to do much

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
Bear with me here because I'm a big dumb-dumb when it comes to overclocking. I decided yesterday to OC my 4 year old 2500k to get some extra juice and get some overclocking experience for my future builds.

I've only really touched the multiplier and vcore voltage (my Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 motherboard only has that old-timey BIOS and they've always freaked me out) but so far I got it from 3.3 GHz to 4.2 GHz at 1.280V and it seems to be stable so far. Running Prime95's torture tests for a couple of hours puts max temps at around 74-75 degrees C with my Hyper 212. Granted, I haven't done much fine tuning and my case is probably a dust bunny collectathon but does this sound okay overall for a quick n' dirty OC hackjob?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Foulbrood posted:

I've only really touched the multiplier and vcore voltage (my Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 motherboard only has that old-timey BIOS and they've always freaked me out) but so far I got it from 3.3 GHz to 4.2 GHz at 1.280V and it seems to be stable so far. Running Prime95's torture tests for a couple of hours puts max temps at around 74-75 degrees C with my Hyper 212. Granted, I haven't done much fine tuning and my case is probably a dust bunny collectathon but does this sound okay overall for a quick n' dirty OC hackjob?

Sounds great, leave it there. Most 2500Ks hit diminishing returns somwehere around 4.2-4.5 ghz range.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

repiv posted:

And then they went back on going back on that decision due to uproar from their partners RMA departments, presumably :cop:

Disregard this, two days later they've released a hotfix that re-enables overclocking on all mobile GPUs. Guess it was just a mistake.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I finally got around to overclocking my 4690K in the hopes it would make Witcher 3 run better (it didn't, really, sadly), but I had a few questions. Currently it's set at 4.7ghz and 1.225 volts. It's an Asrock motherboard and I've got it set to adaptive, so HWiNFO is reporting 1.237 volts as the max it's hit, which still isn't terrible. My real question is if I should back it off a step, because while it makes it through short tests in OCCT at temps in the low to mid 70's, when I went to run prime95, it gradually climbed up to 99 before I chickened out and stopped it. I'm assuming that's too high even for prime95, but it only took 5 or 10 minutes to get to that point and people always talk about running prime95 for 12 hours to make sure everything is stable. In comparison, I played Witcher 3 for 2 hours or so and it barely broke 60. So am I safe or should I dial it back a little?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Are you using adaptive voltage? Dont do prime95 or occt with adaptive voltage

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

So if I do fixed voltage prime95/OCCT won't melt my processor and I can change it to adaptive once I'm done stress testing?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

ZombieApostate posted:

So if I do fixed voltage prime95/OCCT won't melt my processor and I can change it to adaptive once I'm done stress testing?

Yes. The problem with adaptive on prime95 is it will raise voltage above whats needed. so find your stable voltage at your stable speed. Then use adaptive to in real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I read that that could be a problem, so I kept a watch on it and it never raised nearly as far from where it was set as people complained, but I'll take your word for it rather than fry my chip :v:.

Two more questions. First, there's a setting called Vcore Voltage Additional Offset, which I've just left on Auto because I couldn't find a consistent answer as to what it does. Do I need to worry about it at all or just continue leaving it on Auto? Second, I saw someone mention that the CPU Cache Ratio shouldn't be too far from the Core Ratio. I set it at 35, which should be the default, because I also read that overclocking the cache doesn't get you very much and I wanted to keep this simple. I'm not endangering anything or leaving big gains behind leaving it alone, am I?