Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I Greyhound posted:

Almost certainly trying to do something similarly stupid as this:
https://youtu.be/TWfph3iNC-k?t=1m14s

There's flying, and then there's flying in a way that a gust of wind or 2 milliseconds of error in leg positioning kills you.

Wow, that's almost a two fer. The guy in the wing suit and the guy holding balloons for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Can any of you guys recommend a few good documentaries on thru-hiking? I saw Mile... Mile and a Half on Netflix and that was okay.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, that's almost a two fer. The guy in the wing suit and the guy holding balloons for some reason.

Corliss has actually been part of a few accidents too. Here's one where he hits a rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEFCQRwj28w

Wikipedia posted:

On January 16, 2012, in an accident while proximity flying off Table Mountain, Cape Town, South Africa, Corliss broke both ankles, three toes, and a fibula, tore his left Anterior cruciate ligament, and sustained a gash in his skin that required skin grafts to close. He struck his legs approximately halfway between the hip and knee on a rock ledge he was attempting to skim over while aiming at a target balloon. The impact caused him to tumble forward one revolution before he regained some control, cleared some additional ledges and then deployed his parachute. Due to the lack of stability, his canopy quickly spun him into the ground. He was airlifted out by the Red Cross Air Mercy Service. He has recovered, and plans to return to life as usual. A video of the accident has been released.

Also, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF214wDC4L8 (guy dies in this video, not graphic at all or anything and you wouldn't really even know, but still fair warning)

Wikipedia posted:

In October 2003, Corliss was teamed to jump with his best friend, Australian BASE jumper Dwain Weston, at the inaugural Go Fast Games. Corliss was to fly under the Royal Gorge Bridge, while Weston was meant to pass over it. Instead, Weston impacted the bridge at an estimated speed of 120 mph (190 km/h) and was killed instantly. Corliss had to take evasive action to avoid colliding with Weston's body.

Youtube comment... posted:

"According to Fremont County Coroner Dr. Dorothy Twellman, Weston's leg severed from his body upon impact. He also suffered a punctured lung, severe damage to his other leg and a fractured neck, Twellman said." So, that black object flying up out of frame at 0:51 might very well be Weston's leg.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

DumbparameciuM posted:

Kind of surprised that Shane McConkey hasn't come up yet. He was quite an experienced base jumper (was a famous Mogul/Freestyle skier beforehand) who died because of gear failure. McConkeys thing was, well, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MrhRf7J-cU

Except one day he got the idea to replicate this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaEU_A405zA

So he manages to find the quick release bindings they used in that film. They had stopped being manufactured in the 80's and, IIRC, the company went bust around the same time. No new parts were available. Shane bought as many as he could find, and started experimenting.

So now he's skiing off mountains, quick releasing the skiis, and starting the base jump. Then this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWFTpkDq56U

Basejumping: Not even once.

Shane rules. Shred gnar. What a glorious hero idiot bastard.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The guy's ski in The Spy Who Loved Me stunt actually hit the parachute as it was deploying, which could have ended disastrously. He also deployed the chute somewhat late, so they were worried that they'd have to reshoot the entire stunt. But one of the cameras did catch it.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I Greyhound posted:

Almost certainly trying to do something similarly stupid as this:
https://youtu.be/TWfph3iNC-k?t=1m14s

There's flying, and then there's flying in a way that a gust of wind or 2 milliseconds of error in leg positioning kills you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEFCQRwj28w

He actually hit a mountain too, how he managed to recover it is beyond me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Cojawfee posted:

Wait, your post was serious? lol

Cojawfee posted:

Considering coca leaves are illegal and considered the same as cocaine in many countries, congrats on doing drugs I guess.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ruggan posted:

(guy dies in this video, not graphic at all or anything and you wouldn't really even know, but still fair warning)

IDK, no one hears that BONNNNnnngg as his body hits a bridge at 2000 mph and reasonably thinks, "He probably made it."

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Meatwave posted:

Can any of you guys recommend a few good documentaries on thru-hiking? I saw Mile... Mile and a Half on Netflix and that was okay.

Youtube has a few thru hikers who've captured most/a lot of their hikes. Will Wood / Redbeard is one, he did the AT last year and is doing the PCT this year with regular updates. I really hate the way he talks, but his videos are very informative. If you hike yourself and am at all interested in lightweight gear, his gear reviews are pretty good too and not as terrible as most on youtube.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I do recommend them if you want to see what the trail looks like in different states, how the towns, the hostels etc look like. The kinda trouble with some of these videos (all videos people are recording of themselves) are that everyone hiking with a camera only turns it on when something special happens and everyone not hiking is looking for more of a glimpse into the hardships and hiking learning experiences, but most people I've seen on youtube are more interested in projecting an image of themselves as super hikers and of course capturing the most spectacular parts of their hike.

edit: to clarify, none of these people take a journalistic approach to document what goes on on the trail, most videos are more like a hi mum, this is dan, dan wave to the camera, look at this cliff face than So Dan, what made you hike the at, how far are we, how is it going, etc. It's other peoples holiday videos basically, but it's still interesting to see what the trail looks like for someone like me who'll never get to walk it.

prinneh fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 21, 2015

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Ruggan posted:

Also, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF214wDC4L8 (guy dies in this video, not graphic at all or anything and you wouldn't really even know, but still fair warning)

I've seen worse but seeing a guy hit a railing at 190 km an hour still isn't a pretty sight.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

For Britgoons, Rondette forgot to tell you you can watch that new BBC K2 documentary online legally here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03td9sc

It is online until Monday 25. Sadly, I don't think the film is available outside of the UK.

That dude's family is absurdly good at getting pity but the reality is that year was a clusterfuck and no one should come away proud of how it turned out.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

On both the geology and unsolved mysteries topics, where do you guys think Devil's Kettle heads to?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CommunistPancake posted:

On both the geology and unsolved mysteries topics, where do you guys think Devil's Kettle heads to?

No one has ever thrown something with GPS into it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say the water almost immediately rejoins the rest of the river, because the idea that the water table there is somehow split and isolated with no joints connecting them is pretty implausible.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sounds like a job for some cave divers

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Cojawfee posted:

No one has ever thrown something with GPS into it?

Doesn't work underground, breaks easily.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

CommunistPancake posted:

Not sure I can really answer that, I'm not really familiar with cave systems that have developed in volcanic rocks like that. At first glance I'd say it's not likely for debris to accumulate in the hole anyway, since potholes like that are gigantic rock tumblers. Anything that falls in will quickly get ground down into bits that can flow out through cracks. Looking at a couple youtube videos, it doesn't look like a lot of debris ends up in there normally.

So my guess would be the same as Leperflesh's, it's probably running through cracks in the rock and gradually rejoining the river downstream. Dye tracing wouldn't turn up anything if a single dye dump is gradually diffusing back into the river. The best way to test that idea would be perform multiple big fluorescent dye dumps during the day, and then look at the river with a handheld blacklight during the night to see if the water is glowing downstream. If that doesn't work, I think it'd be time to send in a kamikaze cave diver.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Any particular reason wingsuits aren't based on flying mammals that actually fly well?

With carbon fiber composite "fingers" you should easily be able to double the wingspan and bring glide speed down to something must less retarded than the flying-squirrel suits.

Or is falling "fast and slightly forward" the preferred mode for thrillseekers?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I Greyhound posted:

Any particular reason wingsuits aren't based on flying mammals that actually fly well?

With carbon fiber composite "fingers" you should easily be able to double the wingspan and bring glide speed down to something must less retarded than the flying-squirrel suits.

They're called hang gliders.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I Greyhound posted:

Wing suits seem to be more modeled after flying squirrels where the idea isnt to fly but to have a controlled glide

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the idea of a wing suit is to jump out of a plane and be able to fly around before pulling the chute. Not to skim 6 feet above the ground like an idiot.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This might be of interest to people, I've posted it in the hiking thread before.

Parks Canada posts accident reports for all major incidents in the Canadian Rockies National Parks, in hopes that it's used as a tool for people to learn from others' mistakes and accidents. They range from really experienced people who just encounter bad luck/nature just being nature, to extreme idiots completely out of their league. They go back to 2010.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/mtn/securiteenmontagne-mountainsafety/accidents.aspx

For the August 13 2011 Mt. Aberdeen incident, I was actually at the staging area for the helicopter while preparing for a scramble, so I filmed the helicopter. Sorry for my dumb hoser accent.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/mtn/securiteenmontagne-mountainsafety/accidents/2011/08-2011.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DtmMQ7UOMY

And here's a really cool video of a technical rescue of a climber who had been hit by rockfall. It's the same helicopter team that performed my rescue, but I wasn't in a national park so it was a different ground team and agency. (My incident is not included in the above lists because of that)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7_4n_4Qhu4

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

I Greyhound posted:

Oh poo poo. Call it all in folks, this guy figured it all out, the perfect design.

(I kid I kid)

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Picnic Princess posted:

This might be of interest to people, I've posted it in the hiking thread before.

Parks Canada posts accident reports for all major incidents in the Canadian Rockies National Parks, in hopes that it's used as a tool for people to learn from others' mistakes and accidents. They range from really experienced people who just encounter bad luck/nature just being nature, to extreme idiots completely out of their league. They go back to 2010.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/mtn/securiteenmontagne-mountainsafety/accidents.aspx

For the August 13 2011 Mt. Aberdeen incident, I was actually at the staging area for the helicopter while preparing for a scramble, so I filmed the helicopter. Sorry for my dumb hoser accent.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/mtn/securiteenmontagne-mountainsafety/accidents/2011/08-2011.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DtmMQ7UOMY

And here's a really cool video of a technical rescue of a climber who had been hit by rockfall. It's the same helicopter team that performed my rescue, but I wasn't in a national park so it was a different ground team and agency. (My incident is not included in the above lists because of that)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7_4n_4Qhu4
cliffside helicopter rescuers are amazing, wow.

Those incident reports are grimly fascinating, thank you. I think accidents when climbers have like just simple bad luck get especially terrifying :(

Rockfall accident, Mount Geikie, Mount Robson Provincial Park, Aug 15 2012 posted:

On August 15th 2012, an experienced climbing party of four were climbing the S face of Mount Giekie. This is a remote alpine style rock climb located at the western portion of the Rampart Mountains in Tonquin Valley. The parties were climbing in 2 rope teams staying in close proximity to each other. At approximately 10a.m., one of the climbers was leading a 5.4 pitch when the 1/2 car size block he was standing on released causing him to fall along with it. Tumbling with the large rock, he fell 20m before his belayer caught him just as he hit a ledge with the large rock. The rock exploded spreading shrapnel. This ledge was adjacent to the second party. The belayer was hit by rock fall, injuring him and forcing him off the ledge.

The belayer suffered 3 broken ribs. A third climber, who was standing near the ledge where the block impacted and where the lead climber came to rest, suffered lacerations to his head and soft tissue damage to his ankle with a hole in his boot from the rock. The fourth climber escaped unscathed. The lead climber suffered massive internal injuries, never regained consciousness, and eventually stopped breathing. They attempted to call out with a satellite phone but had no reception. Both climbing party’s ropes were damaged. They salvaged what they could and did short rappels to descend. The satellite phone was attempted several times during the descent with no reception.

They returned to base camp at 2050hrs and got satellite reception. They called Jasper National Parks Emergency dispatch to report the incident. It was dusk and a helicopter was launched from Yellowhead Helicopters in Valemount to fly directly to their camp. The helicopter had just enough daylight to retrieve one person and return to Valemount in the dark. Jasper National Parks rescue team helicoptered to the camp at first light. The remaining 2 people were evacuated and the lead climber was heli-slung off the face and pronounced deceased.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Professor of Cats posted:

Oh poo poo. Call it all in folks, this guy figured it all out, the perfect design.

(I kid I kid)

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
"heli-slung off the face"? What does that mean?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

midnightclimax posted:

"heli-slung off the face"? What does that mean?

It's what they do in that second video picnic princess posted

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gently caress. I had a dream last night that I was climbing Mount Everest, and as extreme altitude sickness set in I got convinced that we were all going to die. I turned back at 27.4K feet while the rest of my team went on, and I waited nervously in some Nepalese until the rest of them arrived, having summited safely. I dreamt of altitude sickness being a feeling of nausea and vertigo like I might fall sideways of the mountain, and an extreme tiredness like three days without sleep, while knowing that that falling asleep meant death. At the end of the dream, I went online and updated this thread on my team's success, where the mood went from "You're all going to die" to congratulatory and slightly disappointed that none of us died. My gooniness is even ruining my dreams.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
That's some Inception-level poo poo right there.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i am slightly disappointed you didnt die on dream everest

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Good job on thinking straight on dream everest and not continuing on when doing so would have been dream dangerous. Was really counting on y'all losing a couple people for my dream death pool guess though.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SaltLick posted:

i am slightly disappointed you didnt die on dream everest

But if that happened, they would have died in real life :ohdear:

Edit: if that happened, would it have counted for the death pool?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I was talking to my brother about Everest and the stuff I read in this thread in general, and he was of the mentality that "anyone can climb everest, it's more of a tough hike and less of a climb". I explained that that mentality is what gets a lot of people killed and he was all like "I could probably make it"

it's so strange how little respect people have for climbing literally the tallest point on the earth. They assume it's all gear and equipment and nothing more.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Madcosby posted:

I was talking to my brother about Everest and the stuff I read in this thread in general, and he was of the mentality that "anyone can climb everest, it's more of a tough hike and less of a climb". I explained that that mentality is what gets a lot of people killed and he was all like "I could probably make it"

it's so strange how little respect people have for climbing literally the tallest point on the earth. They assume it's all gear and equipment and nothing more.

Unless your brother has some kind of pre-existing physical ailment, he probably could make it. What he doesn't understand is that most of the odds against him have to do with random chance - of getting HAPE or HACE, or getting wiped out by an avalanche or earthquake, or some other simple but lethal accident.

The only part that'd nominally be up to him is his willingness to turn back and not summit. But even that willingness is heavily compromised by the oxygen deprivation, so even that is at least somewhat up to chance.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Madcosby posted:

It's like whenever I go to the zoo and my guy friends tell me they could win a fight with one of the bears.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Some dipshit is going to waltz in and be like "black bear or brown bear?"

Look, turd bowl, but unless you're timber blood, it doesn't matter, a black bear could bum your dumb gut.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Picnic Princess posted:

Sorry for my dumb hoser

poo poo man, your accent is so :canada: I will only ever be able imagine you as the Canadian Hitler from this moment on.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pick posted:

Some dipshit is going to waltz in and be like "black bear or brown bear?"

Look, turd bowl, but unless you're timber blood, it doesn't matter, a black bear could bum your dumb gut.

Yeah, people tend to forget we're complete wusses pound for pound compared to every other large mammal that is not a domesticated sheep.

People who understand that invented weapons :v:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If that Canadian lady could get up and partly down the mountain by training on a stair master then anyone can do it. She was just dumb and didn't go down when was advisable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
checking back up, has anyone climb the mountain yet or are the sherpas too ascared of angering their mountain gods and there being ANOTHER earthquake?

• Locked thread