Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Btw guys, never try to use Axii on people when you're talking to a group of two or more, they'll notice what you're doing.

I love the reactions to this, "Oi everyone! The freaks done something to Mikuls mind!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Anyone know if there is some way of disabling the auto-camera tracking on PC? Half the fun is looking around at the world, but it's tedious to continually fight the camera in order to get a good look at anything. Especially with a controller, mouse isn't quite so bad, but I'd rather us a controller so I can run the game on the TV and sit back on the couch.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

This game needs a fist of the north star mod stat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Why does he still roll if he has that ability?

To get further away? It covers a much greater distance.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

Why does he still roll if he has that ability?

Because he's punching an angry bear?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

How much modding potential does this games have?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do decoctions refill using Alcohest like potions and bombs do? I'm guessing yes, but I haven't drank it yet because if not, I want to save it for when it matters.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Does the game allow me to zoom in and out? There are times where doing this would allow me to more easily see my enemy's telegraphed attacks.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

How much modding potential does this games have?

They've said that want to get the modding tools out sooner then they did with witcher 2. Some people are plugging away already.

Harrow posted:

Do decoctions refill using Alcohest like potions and bombs do? I'm guessing yes, but I haven't drank it yet because if not, I want to save it for when it matters.

They don't.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It'd be the same. That 5/5 dodge ability is really good.

A solo drowner? You wouldn't even need the dodge ability. Their timings are super easy to learn.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I sold my books, inclkuding one about ladies in a wood, which apparently I need to further a main quest.

No idea who I sold it to.

Am I hosed?

edit: never mind, it was in my quest items rather than with the rest of the books.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Xavier434 posted:

Does the game allow me to zoom in and out? There are times where doing this would allow me to more easily see my enemy's telegraphed attacks.

Unfortunately, no. All you can do is toggle between having a soft lock or hard lock on your target, which just moves the camera placement slightly.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Found an.. interesting bug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA4wDsmpXF0

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finally! Something to do with all these alchemy ingredients I've been stockpiling.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Aurain posted:

As a result of a quest on an island near Fyke Isle? If so, I think I got that sword too and it's bugged for me aswell. It's the best sword I have so I don't want to stop using it but it's kinda cheap.

Loot's randomized, I got it from the quest where you kill the gravehag in Velen iirc.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I handed both my swords over to some Scoia'tel scout. Then, when he took me to see his leader, I called her a common bandit. In this game, those choices are a really bad idea. :v:

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Harrow posted:

They do. The big tradeoff with decoctions is that they don't just drop a bunch of toxicity on you, they RESERVE it for the duration of their effect. So if you drink a decoction that has a cost of 80/100 and lasts half an hour you're not dropping below 80 tox until you either mediate or the half hour passes. Decoctions are a big gamble unless you've got a bunch of points in alchemy.

Edit: They might still need a little balance tweaking but the general concept behind them in W3 seems to be as build enablers. Some of them make drastic changes to the way your other abilities/resources can be used.

Cephalocidal fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 22, 2015

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Cephalocidal posted:

They do. The big tradeoff with decoctions is that they don't just drop a bunch of toxicity on you, they RESERVE it for the duration of their effect. So if you drink a decoction that has a cost of 80/100 and lasts half an hour you're not dropping below 80 tox until you either mediate or the half hour passes. Decoctions are a big gamble unless you've got a bunch of points in alchemy.

It would be better if most potions worked closer to that rather than the night and day where they're either regular potions that last 30 seconds and decoctions that last 30 minutes.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Just finished the Velen portion of the main quest, and I gotta say, the Baron is probably my favorite NPC I've seen in a game.

The range of emotions he exhibits both through his voice actor and facial expressions blew my mind. I'm sad that he died on my path because I didn't want to kill the giant scary tree thing

Also, the fact that decisions you made several hours ago in real time still affect stuff is great. If this were another game I would just hit reload and try all the options, but there's something nice about finally getting stuck with what I've done to these fake video game people.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Played a bunch more last night. I feel bad for anyone rushing through the game. It's a blast to just take your time and find little things while roaming around. And I'm only in the 2nd area so far.

Also, at any opportunity I'm telling buds to go hang out at my Witcher stronghold. I hope my ending is just stocking that place full of the coolest peeps and saying gently caress you to the rest of the continent.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ghost of the Past is a pretty cool quest. Glad I could save Letho. And I've sent him to Kaer Morhen to boot, which is cool. Wonder how many people I'll be able to send in the end? Already had Keira.

Candles are the bane of my goddamn existence. Let me loot, dammit!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cephalocidal posted:

Edit: They might still need a little balance tweaking but the general concept behind them in W3 seems to be as build enablers. Some of them make drastic changes to the way your other abilities/resources can be used.

Oh, interesting. I noticed that this decoction has "+100% Toxicity" on it, so I'm guessing I probably shouldn't drink it at all if I'm not an alchemy build because that's, well, 100% Toxicity for 30 minutes.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

Also, at any opportunity I'm telling buds to go hang out at my Witcher stronghold. I hope my ending is just stocking that place full of the coolest peeps and saying gently caress you to the rest of the continent.

I'm a fair way through the story and this is a good idea. I forgot about a lot of people and only sent Keira to KM and I'm now very worried about what's to come :ohdear:

Feels like a Mass Effect 2 scenario.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Just getting started and roaming around White Orchard. Killed off a level 7 wraith at level 1. I guess the loot is levelled? The loot from the wraith's crypt wasn't much better than the loot I got from killing some level 4 drowners.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Loving this game so far. Despite my abominable computer, the game still looks amazing on toaster settings.

I don't know what significance Dandelion had in the previous games but holy loving poo poo, the amount of crap you have to do to free that fucker is amazing, then all you get is some more 'Ciri? gently caress knows.'

The whoreson junior quest was amazing, not only going just in to the whoresons camps and choosing to flat-out murder everyone to advance the quest, but also Geralt's response to the dead hookers and the angry beating he gives to Junior.

And gently caress candles.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Jinnigan posted:

Just getting started and roaming around White Orchard. Killed off a level 7 wraith at level 1. I guess the loot is levelled? The loot from the wraith's crypt wasn't much better than the loot I got from killing some level 4 drowners.

It's leveled but wraiths still drop better loot than drowners, (specifically they'll drop gem dust which is really expensive and used in crafting), so if you didn't get any you got unlucky.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Maybe not many have gotten further than me, i have been nerding pretty hard, but i'll ask anyway. Are you supposed to leave Velen and come back later? My autism desperately wants to 100% every zone before i leave it, and i wanna know if i should tell it to go take a break.

And i'll throw in a unrelated one: any way to tell how long oils on your sword last without going into the menu?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Eastdrom posted:

I don't know what significance Dandelion had in the previous games but holy loving poo poo, the amount of crap you have to do to free that fucker is amazing, then all you get is some more 'Ciri? gently caress knows.'

Dandelion is Geralt's best friend, basically. And him being completely useless/in need of rescuing is his native state of being.

Dongattack posted:

Maybe not many have gotten further than me, i have been nerding pretty hard, but i'll ask anyway. Are you supposed to leave Velen and come back later? My autism desperately wants to 100% every zone before i leave it, and i wanna know if i should tell it to go take a break.

Prolly. There's plenty of quests and mobs there that are levelled much higher than the recommended levels for Novigrad/Skellige.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I keep finding these Person(s) In Distress areas on the map. Are the keys supposed to be close by? I've only once been able to open a cage and I'm not sure where I got the key to do that. I always loot the camps thoroughly and the bandits too but usually just have to wander off. The caged guy probably thinks I'm a real jerk.

The one time I did open the cage the elf guy said he'd be camped out nearby and that I should track him down but he was nowhere to be found.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Timett posted:

I keep finding these Person(s) In Distress areas on the map. Are the keys supposed to be close by? I've only once been able to open a cage and I'm not sure where I got the key to do that. I always loot the camps thoroughly and the bandits too but usually just have to wander off. The caged guy probably thinks I'm a real jerk.

The one time I did open the cage the elf guy said he'd be camped out nearby and that I should track him down but he was nowhere to be found.

The keys are on the bandit leaders you kill.

I've never been able to find any of the guys after I rescue them, though.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Harrow posted:

They absolutely do, but the toxicity from a decoction won't go away while the effect is active. So you're at 80/100 or whatever for ~30 minutes.

e: should have just gone to the next page

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Oh huh, I've gotten to a point in the story were the narration explicitly says "I am Dandelion". I do not care for old man Dandelion.

edit: I also wish the art style of those parts was more like the ones in witcher 2 but I'm just being nitpicky.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 22, 2015

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Autonomous Monster posted:

The keys are on the bandit leaders you kill.

I've never been able to find any of the guys after I rescue them, though.

They show up as merchants in towns, they'll greet you with "the savior returns!" or something similar. One showed up as a barber in some poo poo hole I was passing through in Velen!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Lord Lambeth posted:

Oh huh, I've gotten to a point in the story were the narration explicitly says "I am Dandelion". I do not care for old man Dandelion.

I think it's nice he's finally growing up.

Thirty-five years late :v:

NeurosisHead posted:

They show up as merchants in towns, they'll greet you with "the savior returns!" or something similar. One showed up as a barber in some poo poo hole I was passing through in Velen!

Hmm. Maybe it needs a reload? I have had problems with some vendors/quest NPCs either giving me generic barks or just refusing to respond to the talk action at all.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Timett posted:

I'm pretty sure the bandits in the camps can be killed by wandering guards if you get too close and trigger them without fighting them. There's a cage near a bridge that I can't open because all the bandits are already dead and there's no key nearby.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
Seriously, I canīt understand how anyone would ever think its ok to make the player re-watch all the cut-scenes everytime you die on a mission and have to reload. They seemed to care so much about the players time with the potion refill and making npcs run with you on follow missions, but then they go and drop the ball so bad with this kind of bullshit. /ragefit :qqsay:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, I'm bummed because I rescued somebody who was all "Next time you're in *some town I couldn't remember*, I'll give you a free haircut!" and now I can't find him or any other barbers nearby and I need a goddamn shave.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Harrow posted:

Oh, interesting. I noticed that this decoction has "+100% Toxicity" on it, so I'm guessing I probably shouldn't drink it at all if I'm not an alchemy build because that's, well, 100% Toxicity for 30 minutes.

That's just a very poorly worded way of saying that 100% of the Toxicity cost is going to remain reserved while the effect is active. (It probably still won't leave you with enough room to chug a Swallow without going over your tox cap and immediately losing half your health unless you've got points in alchemy.)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Am I supposed to fight the Wild Hunt with silver or steel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Pigbottom posted:

Seriously, I canīt understand how anyone would ever think its ok to make the player re-watch all the cut-scenes everytime you die on a mission and have to reload. They seemed to care so much about the players time with the potion refill and making npcs run with you on follow missions, but then they go and drop the ball so bad with this kind of bullshit. /ragefit :qqsay:

It's just a loading screen.