Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I finally beat GoldenEye on 00 Agent. I never want to look at Control Center, Water Cavern or Antenna Cradle again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

theultimo posted:

Honestly SS 1 had an even better atmosphere, however trying to play it is learning an 108 key Gamepad.

There was a mod released back in 2010 that added a mouse look/cursor toggle just like SS2, it's pretty nifty and makes SS1 a lot more playable.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
drat people hating on hl2 itt. I had a lot of fun cutting zombies in half with saw blades and pinning soldiers to walls with the stake gun

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
The driving sections are boring, the physics puzzles are meh, but I guess both of those things looked great back then.
Also, it was really jarring going from HL1 straight to HL2 and people would treat you like loving Che Guevara out of the loving blue. Was I supposed to just accept that people end up knowing about and acknowledging that you defeated whole armies on HL1? It's kind of weird to accept that a single guy with no military training was able to do all that, but that's one of those things you just brush off as "video game stuff", until the characters start treating you like Rambo Guevara that is. Or maybe that's explained on Opposing force and blue shift games?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

program666 posted:

The driving sections are boring, the physics puzzles are meh, but I guess both of those things looked great back then.
They didn't. These were the two biggest complaints about the game.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

im dissapointed by the lack of gaben whiteknighting

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jon Do posted:

Weight knighting.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Weight knighting.

An obese shape in the shadows scrawls something in a notebook before leaving on a whisper. We don't forget.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

An obese shape in the shadows scrawls something in a notebook before leaving on a whisper. We don't forget.
They hunger for justice.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i still really enjoy half life 2 and half life 1. i played them when they came out so got caught right up in the fun and its nice to know i can go back to them all these years later and still have a fab time playing them.

i often wonder what half life 2 would have been with all the stuff from the reveal videos kept in. same with the ravenholm puzzles from the original version

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Jon Do posted:

I'm pc master race but these old tired arguments is the reason I don't go to 4chan anymore. Also it might be trolling.
oops, I thought I was on the e3 thread for a moment

program666 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 22, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Half Life 2 is really good even though it basically killed the genre.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There has not been a first person shooter since Half-Life 2.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I am the only person in existence who prefers third person shooters. Not that I won't play a FPS, but third person gives me a better sense of orientation and what's going on around me. I actually really liked Max Payne 3. Given, a lot of third person shooters are really bad cover shooters, but as a camera/perspective I like it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

FactsAreUseless posted:

There has not been a first person shooter since Half-Life 2.

There have been hundreds of them but I could probably count the ones with good single player campaigns on one hand.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

FPS Genre Doesn't Look Like This Anymore

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eye of Widesauron posted:

FPS Genre Doesn't Look Like This Anymore
This Is What First-Person Shooters Look Like To A Millennial, You Won't Believe How Innovators Are Disrupting The Genre!

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

This Is What First-Person Shooters Look Like To A Millennial, You Won't Believe How Innovators Are Disrupting The Genre!

Upvoted and shared

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Adam Bowen posted:

There have been hundreds of them but I could probably count the ones with good single player campaigns on one hand.

Only if dozens of hours is a requirement for a good single player campaign.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Adam Bowen posted:

Uhhh there have been at least six Halo games idiot (I don't know how many Halo games there have been)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jon Do posted:

I am the only person in existence who prefers third person shooters. Not that I won't play a FPS, but third person gives me a better sense of orientation and what's going on around me. I actually really liked Max Payne 3. Given, a lot of third person shooters are really bad cover shooters, but as a camera/perspective I like it.

Not since TPS became hide behind waist high wall simulators, no. Apart from Vanquish.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Gameplay Is Holding Back The Gaming Industry

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Sakurazuka posted:

Not since TPS became hide behind waist high wall simulators, no. Apart from Vanquish.

MP3 was made after every TPS went to poo poo and even though it included a cover system, the game punished you for using it. Just like how a player would be ready for an enemy to stick their head out from behind cover, the AI could quickly shoot you in the face the second you peeked out. The game was meant to be played with you running around firing while using slo mo to evade enemy fire and occasionally cover was used in specific situation.

Unfortunately most people didn't understand that cover = bad and went and bitched about it being a bad game and we'll never have nonshit TPS games again.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Excels posted:

Gameplay Is Holding Back The Gaming Industry

This, but unironically.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Wolfsheim posted:

Uhhh there have been at least six Halo games idiot (I don't know how many Halo games there have been)

6 plus 2 remakes plus 1 rts plus a mobile game

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Adam Bowen posted:

Half Life 2 is really good even though it basically killed the genre.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/11/how-half-life-killed-the-first-person-shooter/

e: also max payne 3 is a good third person shooter even if it's only because there's a level set in a stadium and you can do a ridiculously long slow-mo jump down the staircases

Problem Sleuth fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 22, 2015

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I liked the vehicle parts, the physics were wonky as hell and you could like fly over buildings or out of bounds and other weird poo poo.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

dat one portagee posted:

drat people hating on hl2 itt. I had a lot of fun cutting zombies in half with saw blades and pinning soldiers to walls with the stake gun
:allears:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

no, you don't understand *I* had fun with it

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

cue ten goons leaning forward and out of breath from their run to their work laptops, just to say that SMOD saves it because no other game is fun with friends

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I thought I was playing Donkey Kong 64 so I could do some relatively poorly designed collectathoning, not so I could play this dumb 80s game nobody likes

EDIT: half-life 2 is good, dumb jerks. SMOD isn't even the one that adds co-op, at least i don't think it is i think that's just synergy

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I accidentally read a review on The Verge today...

quote:

I tested the Xbox One version of Project CARS, which feels like a port from the moment it’s powered on. The on-screen text is uniformly microscopic, as if it’s designed to be viewed on a PC monitor that’s a few inches from your face. That doesn’t work particularly well on a sub-40-inch television that’s across the room. It’s not a huge deal — much of the text is automatically narrated as you work your way through the game’s deep, broad user interface as a sort of tutorial as you go — but it’s an early warning sign that CARS lacks the polish of a Forza.

Holy gently caress... this is a professional game reviewer.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

given that he's a professional game reviewer he probably is dirt poor

program666
Aug 22, 2013

zenintrude posted:

I accidentally read a review on The Verge today...

Holy gently caress... this is a professional game reviewer.

but I thought that this text size on TVs vs monitors was an actual thing isn't it? I do use my 40 inch tv as a monitor but my head is like 5 feet from it

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

program666 posted:

but I thought that this text size on TVs vs monitors was an actual thing isn't it? I do use my 40 inch tv as a monitor but my head is like 5 feet from it

Depends on pixel density. 96 DPI is Windows standard setting, and TVs can get up to 400-500ppi now. I have to set 160% scaling for Windows on my 55 inch, but some games are unplayable without scaling the UI.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

oh it's the reviewer's fault for not adjusting the font size?

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

program666 posted:

On windows you can force doing adjustments. not on consoles, so they ported a 96 ppi interface to something that desperately needed to be bigger.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

program666 posted:

The Verge's fault for allowing reviewers to review games on 32" 1080i Westingtons they bought from Big Lots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i just beat vanquish. Act 4 might be the best hour or two of video game shooting ever. Act 5 feels kinda bad though. the 2 fights are cool but its just killing humanoid sized bullet sponges that aren't actually even the villain/nemesis guy. Maybe i'm spoiled by the ending of mgr going on for ever with a final conclusive amazing boss fight. i did like that the physics of the final cutscene is so badly done that it had to be on purpose and with the melodrama it was actually pretty great schlock but then they go into a very poorly designed credits shooting gallery that is unskippable so that kinda felt like ending on a wet fart.

• Locked thread