Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Must just be because I work with Apple stuff all day long, but her request seemed pretty reasonable. "If it isn't Windows it isn't ready for the enterprise" stopped being true a long time ago.

Mac's have gotten worse about it lately, Mac server has pretty much stopped being supported and all. Not to mention Mac OS upgrades always breaking so much poo poo like Samba or Java versioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Must just be because I work with Apple stuff all day long, but her request seemed pretty reasonable. "If it isn't Windows it isn't ready for the enterprise" stopped being true a long time ago.

We've already had long discussions about the fact that we aren't refusing to support it, we're just not ready yet. Our department was a bunch of 3rd party outsourced contractors not long ago. We were understaffed until about 2 months ago, and we're still playing catchup on some seriously hosed up infrastructure. Not to mention the fact that we have to retire about a dozen windows 2k3 servers before the end of next month and replace them with new installations on new hardware.
Her single, last minute iPad request isn't about whether or not it's possible, it's more about whether it's reasonable.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They don't have an IT bed unfortunately, (well bed-roll at my last job) but they do let you go home at night and on the weekends.
I haven't had a single threadworthy thing... until today.
What kind of job expects you to sleep at work?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

lampey posted:

Never worked in Asia, I see. People just conk out at their desks after lunch alllll the goddamn time, took me several years to get used to (and then embrace it). Once I discovered we had a couch in the break room that poo poo was on.

Edit: I did not consider the angle of sleeping overnight at work.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 22, 2015

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lampey posted:

A friend of mine works for a oil field support company and does overnight trips to pump stations on a regular basis. He can either tent it or stay in the bunk house.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I only use "please advise" when I'm joking and being kind of a dick, because it's kind of a dick thing to say.

What I've noticed my users saying a bunch is that "if you could <fix it|call back|let us know|whatever> i'd greatly appreciate it"

Like everyone says that they'd "greatly appreciate it" and it freaks me out. Did they have a discussion about it? How do they all know to say it? They're at a bunch of different locations

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Sheep posted:

Edit: I did not consider the angle of sleeping overnight at work.

Commuting is literally stealing time from the company, you know. :colbert:

(So is sleeping, but there seems to be a critical shortage of labor resources in the US that don't go batshit insane and die after being awake and working for just a week or two straight. Thanks, Obama! :argh: )

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

dennyk posted:

Commuting is literally stealing time from the company, you know. :colbert:

(So is sleeping, but there seems to be a critical shortage of labor resources in the US that don't go batshit insane and die after being awake and working for just a week or two straight. Thanks, Obama! :argh: )

If only we had authorization to get more H1B employees, we could totally hire people who meet our current requirements. What do you mean this schedule will kill any living human? We have 500 applicants already for the job!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Last Friday we were warned by [FIRE ALARM COMPANY] that local telcos were disconnecting POTS lines used for alarm and fire monitoring in an effort to get out of the copper POTS business. Individual disconnects were taking place with no warning from the telco. [ALARM CO] received notice last Wednesday that all of their customers would be disconnected, so they are scrambling to find network solutions for a myriad of fire equipment.

This morning Frontier disconnected the POTS lines used for off-site monitoring of the [datacenter] fire panel. We are currently on our own for monitoring the building.

[FIRE ALARM COMPANY] is working on a wired network connection for the fire panels in [datacenters]. This afternoon I asked them to expedite their efforts.

The Command Center will need to be vigilant for errors or warnings from the [datacenter] fire panel annunciator.
:fireman:

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
So a customer rejected our full server and support proposal about a year ago because "doing it ourselves is cheaper and better". They still use us for the rare bit of consultancy.

Recently they've been having some hard times and had to make some redundancies within their business. Yesterday they send us an email saking for some urgent help. One of their employees who looked after their IT, did not take kindly to being made redundant, so he went on the network share and deleted the entire thing. Every document they had is gone.

They asked us to try and help them recover it, so I'm just going to paste our engineer's notes with names removed:

quote:

Attended site. No external devices for backing up to, no backup software on server and windows server backup not enabled. No jobs in task scheduler.
Spoke to the MD and he thought they used to back it up to an external 3rd party server but they ceased that several months ago.
No way to retrieve what RedundantEmployee deleted as he deleted it from a network share, right clicking on the folder showed no previous versions available.
I enabled server backup, connected a 2tb usb external hard drive to the server and did a one off full backup. I spoke to MSPHelpdeskGuy and we got remote connection software installed on the server, he tested the connection OK.
I reset the local administrator password on the server as MD has concerns over security.
Whilst checking the server I noticed that the server event log had been cleared down on 16/05/15 at just before 1:00pm. I mentioned this to MD and he said the ex IT manager had been on site at this time.
They do not have AD set up on the server, pcs are just members of a workgroup. There is a folder for each user on the D: drive of the server. In consultation with MD I deleted all the local users off the server for people who are no longer with the company. I checked the permissions to MD’s personal folder and found that all the users had full access to it, I removed this access having checked with MD first.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 22, 2015

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Well, at least you won't need to worry about that business's dumb technology decisions for much longer.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

lampey posted:

You haven't lived until your boss shows up at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon with a complete redesign of a project that you have 4 weeks of work into, and is slated to be delivered to the client on the following Monday.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

:chloe:

Ugh. UGH. Who the gently caress says this in 2015?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

English speakers?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

GreenBuckanneer posted:

On that note who the gently caress says trucks/big rigs/18 wheelers? they're lorries you fools
(The answer to your question is England)

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

larchesdanrew posted:

TigerDirect.

Back in the mid-2000s Tiger Direct ran a secondary website called Global Computers. It was basically a carbon copy of the Tiger Direct site except t was for IT Professionals but didn't offer much difference except for maybe the account reps. Around 2008 Global Computers changed its name to CompUSABusiness.com. Anyone that ever shopped at CompUSA or Circuit City should not be surprised by the things that TigerDirect will do as it is the same company.

I prefer to get things from Provantage.com if I need it quickly. I usually get it next day without paying for next day shipping and their prices are on par with or better than Newegg most of the time. Otherwise I order from Amazon or get it locally if I really need it in a hurry.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Sham I Am posted:

You haven't lived until your boss shows up at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon with a complete redesign of a project that you have 4 weeks of work into, and is slated to be delivered to the client on the following Monday.

And then you said "ah sorry to hear" and left at 5pm, right?

Right?

:negative:

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sham I Am posted:

The right answer to this poo poo is always to say "We can deliver the original project Monday as promised, or you'll need to rework the timeline completely." Not standing your ground on things like this just means you will be living this hell until you learn. And chances are you will have to learn somewhere else. Managing expectations is key to not being a doormat in this industry.

An alternative is also "ok, but I'm also giving you my notice, this is not how I want to work." It's a little ballsier, but if the company expects you to work that way, you'll burn out quickly anyhow.

Gerdalti fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 22, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Trastion posted:

Back in the mid-2000s Tiger Direct ran a secondary website called Global Computers. It was basically a carbon copy of the Tiger Direct site except t was for IT Professionals but didn't offer much difference except for maybe the account reps. Around 2008 Global Computers changed its name to CompUSABusiness.com. Anyone that ever shopped at CompUSA or Circuit City should not be surprised by the things that TigerDirect will do as it is the same company.

Wha? :aaa:

I had a circuit city just blocks from me when growing up. It was in the same plaza as the local Media Play. Fond memories. My family bought their first PC there. The sales guy talk my mom into buying a monitor that was $30 more expensive than the one in the package deal, which meant that she had to spend an extra $80 on a printer that would've otherwise come with it. I'm glad they were the first against the wall when the revolution came and pretty much all those lovely electronics retailers shut down.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gerdalti posted:

An alternative is also "ok, but I'm also giving you my notice, this is not how I want to work." It's a little ballsier, but if the company expects you to work that way, you'll burn out quickly anyhow.

That last one can be scary and totally backfire, but it can also be super effective. I've seen that one pulled a couple times successfully. I've also seen it crash and burn horribly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Gerdalti posted:

The right answer to this poo poo is always to say "We can deliver the original project Monday as promised, or you'll need to rework the timeline completely." Not standing your ground on things like this just means you will be living this hell until you learn. And chances are you will have to learn somewhere else. Managing expectations is key to not being a doormat in this industry.
"If you're redesigning the requirements, I'm redesigning the timeline."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

lampey posted:

The kind where everything is broken and you work 100+hours a week.

Gerdalti posted:

This is the best advice. I worked like a slave for 2 years.
In the end, it's not worth it. If you don't value yourself as a human being, no one else will either. They'll treat you like a dog/robot/slave., and when you keel over from sleep deprivation, they'll drag you outside, pin a pink slip to your chest, and withhold your last paycheck.
Set your expectations up front, be rational, polite, and frank.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FreshFeesh posted:

A server came in ... sort of.

Instead of 3x 2TB 7200s and 2x 300GB 10Ks it came with 3x 1TB 7200s and 0 SAS drives.

I think this will be the last straw with this vendor, after I get done explaining to the customer why their new server won't be up today.

Even worse when something stupid happens internally with a project and it gets delayed. Last job, I had set up a ticket to scope a project for a client to get their fax system upgraded. I included everything one of the project guys gave me (hardware, cost of labor, etc.) and passed it up to get scoped and priced. I got a call from the client a couple weeks later asking for a status update, so I go to the project team to ask about it.

One of the supervisors on that team took my ticket, reassigned it back to MY group from the project group, and didn't bother to say anything about it. He had emailed 3 other people on the project team but never once told me he moved the ticket over and his team wasn't working on it. I emailed back, CC'd the CEO and my own manager on it, and the project supervisor promptly got his rear end chewed out while I ended up having to do damage control to explain why a project that would take a week to do was delayed and not even touched for almost 3 weeks. So glad I left that place, poo poo like that happened almost all the time and I wanted to strangle someone.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

"If you're redesigning the requirements, I'm redesigning the timeline."

I am altering the deal. Pray I do not alter it any further.

Sterling_Archer
May 10, 2012

"What do you mean we're not in compliance?"

guppy posted:

I wish I could fire my vendors. I can count the number of things one of them has done right on one hand without running out of fingers. Even if I anticipate the problem and call attention to it in a way that is read by the actual human being responsible for fixing it, it never gets done right.

Yeah I know the feeling. Lately TechData has claimed to have processed an order and had Cisco drop ship a switch or something, only to have the item been back ordered three weeks. Cisco/TD didn't tell anyone until we asked where our product was a week later. They've done this a few times in the past month. We might have to switch over to Ingram.

In other news I had to write a nice big e-mail to the CEO and head of sales explaining that selling a server/domain environment to a vista home prem. environment means some serious upgrades are needed first.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

Haquer posted:

And then you said "ah sorry to hear" and left at 5pm, right?

Right?

:negative:
No. When he asked he also offered a nice sized bonus (relatively speaking) if I did it. Plus I asked for and got 2 extra paid days off the next week. And his wife cooked me food all weekend long, which was pretty boss.

He was a bad planner, but all in all not a bad boss when it came to this sort of thing, at least not for the 2 years I worked there. He knew when he was asking a lot, didn't try and take advantage, and generally made up for it when he did. Where he was lacking was common sense; I left when he fired the sales guy (we only had the 1) and didn't sell anything himself for weeks, then started sitting us down and bitching when we had like 12 billable hours between 4 of us in a week. Pretty crappy actually, because up to that point it was an awesome job.

ETA:

Gerdalti posted:

Not always. He was a pretty good boss and to be honest, I probably would have done the work without a bonus if he had asked, just because he always took care of us and never tried to take advantage.

Oswald Kesselpot fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 22, 2015

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Sham I Am posted:

No. When he asked he also offered a nice sized bonus (relatively speaking) if I did it. Plus I asked for and got 2 extra paid days off the next week. And his wife cooked me food all weekend long, which was pretty boss.

He was a bad planner, but all in all not a bad boss when it came to this sort of thing, at least not for the 2 years I worked there. He knew when he was asking a lot, didn't try and take advantage, and generally made up for it when he did. Where he was lacking was common sense; I left when he fired the sales guy (we only had the 1) and didn't sell anything himself for weeks, then started sitting us down and bitching when we had like 12 billable hours between 4 of us in a week. Pretty crappy actually, because up to that point it was an awesome job.

ETA:

Not always. He was a pretty good boss and to be honest, I probably would have done the work without a bonus if he had asked, just because he always took care of us and never tried to take advantage.

Makes sense. I think most of us are so used to this being super common that we always some the worst.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Ahdinko posted:

So a customer rejected our full server and support proposal about a year ago because "doing it ourselves is cheaper and better". They still use us for the rare bit of consultancy.

Recently they've been having some hard times and had to make some redundancies within their business. Yesterday they send us an email saking for some urgent help. One of their employees who looked after their IT, did not take kindly to being made redundant, so he went on the network share and deleted the entire thing. Every document they had is gone.

They asked us to try and help them recover it, so I'm just going to paste our engineer's notes with names removed:

I find it interesting that I feel like I never hear about full-on company death situations like this in these threads from an in-company perspective-- just situations like the BOFH from a week or two ago where "It could have been company-breakingly bad, but very narrowly wasn't". I don't know if it's because the people in this thread can find surreptitious ways around manglement, leave the companies doing poo poo like this because they don't want to be within a state's border of the company when it keels over, or just have their good luck siphoned out by their companies like some sort of quantum vampire.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ursine Asylum posted:

I find it interesting that I feel like I never hear about full-on company death situations like this in these threads from an in-company perspective-- just situations like the BOFH from a week or two ago where "It could have been company-breakingly bad, but very narrowly wasn't". I don't know if it's because the people in this thread can find surreptitious ways around manglement, leave the companies doing poo poo like this because they don't want to be within a state's border of the company when it keels over, or just have their good luck siphoned out by their companies like some sort of quantum vampire.

I do recall a story a few months ago about a hosted file server or something going out of business with no notice to it's clients and when they terminated the service they deleted all the info with it.

More or less hosed a company over.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Ursine Asylum posted:

Ultimately it depends on the data deleted, but speaking to the engineer earlier, he says the MD said that whilst its a setback, he doesn't think its going to bring their business to an end. I assume in their case that one of the only things that could finish them right now is legal action from a customer/supplier/employee, the business would have no records at all to prove anything

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 22, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

m.hache posted:

I do recall a story a few months ago about a hosted file server or something going out of business with no notice to it's clients and when they terminated the service they deleted all the info with it.

More or less hosed a company over.

That company also failed to notify the clients they were providing backup service to that all their data went bye bye

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
Relevant post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564747&perpage=40&pagenumber=359#post433693062

Of course it's a law firm.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

That's the one.

I can't believe how much of a poo poo show that turned out to be, and yet somehow it's probably not the worst disaster type story out there. I am curious if there is a documented case of a business just going rear end end up overnight as a result of failed tech/worker incompetency.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

m.hache posted:

That's the one.

I can't believe how much of a poo poo show that turned out to be, and yet somehow it's probably not the worst disaster type story out there. I am curious if there is a documented case of a business just going rear end end up overnight as a result of failed tech/worker incompetency.

Fire/flood related office closures can destroy a firm. All your servers, workstations, inventory, business records, and in progress work goes up in a blaze of 'probably not arson, we hope'. Now the insurance company is dragging their feet as long as humanly possible while the fire investigators look into things, your employees aren't being paid, and work isn't being delivered. Without an amazing level of reserve working capital, and clauses in contracts for 'acts of god and nature well beyond the bounds of normal business risks', you can easily end up with a thriving company going out of business. It's why a lot of smaller business don't re-open even years later after a flood, hurricane or tornado.

A pure 'we sell things for people, and oops! thunderstorm blew up the only copy of all our client data' type situation is a little more rare.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Not a ticket so much as a general annoyance.

We posted a job listing on craigslist.
It says attention to detail is required.
It says submit resume in PDF format.

First 5 responses, 3 .docx's, 1 .doc, 1 .rtf (wtf?).
Jesus christ people, how hard is it to follow instructions?!

e: number 6 says resume attached. No attachment. :wtc:

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 22, 2015

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ilkhan posted:

When we post job openings we specifically say no phone calls. We get lots of phone calls.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

ilkhan posted:

I would find it absolutely hilarious if they were submitted by headhunters.

I had one get pissy with me because I sent him a PDF of my resume, and when I asked him what the problem was he said "Because I can't change it". These days I just hang up on anyone who has a foreign accent and wants to talk to me about a great job opportunity.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

The Fool posted:

When we post job openings we specifically say no phone calls. We get lots of phone calls.

Take down their name and number, then tell them they'll explicitly be disqualified because they can't follow instructions.

Related: My friend was telling me a story the other day of a programming applicant that got a simple programming question that wanted a factorial functions in a loop and with recursion. Pretty standard stuff.

They gave functions that did fibonacci, and failed to do it properly at that. This was, ostensibly, for a senior position. :psyduck:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Our IT manager moved into a sales role within the business.

Previously, our other sales reps would send Us jobs to do for our existing clients. Data restoration, consolidation, deduping etc. IT manager would control which jobs we got and if they were worth the effort, considering we also have to run out IT operations. This was good as it meant IT wasn't seen entirely as a loss in the account side of things and could generate income.

Since he has been in sales he has sent us these requests:

Build a PC with backup exec on it and our backup software and show how much faster it is. It's not faster and when we pointed that out he told us to make the file test for our software one 20GB file and the BE test 20GB of 1kb files. And ship it to an interstate island by the next day.

Copy 1200 DVDs to tape (we have no DVD carousels or bulk management hardware at all)

Client wants to move all their tape backups to our cloud backup service. 10yrs of tapes. They just want do the yearly tapes but have no idea which tapes are the yearly sets. He asks us to remote to their server and go through their backup exec logs to find them. This is before he has quoted cost of anything.

And finally:

Convert 800 vhs tapes to digital video and back up to tape. He sent out a business_all email asking if anyone had a VHS player at home they didn't need and told us "duh it's just a USB capture card to the vhs and you load a tape and hit play!"

The only one of those jobs that fits into a product or service we sell is the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I would find it absolutely hilarious if they were submitted by headhunters.

I had one get pissy with me because I sent him a PDF of my resume, and when I asked him what the problem was he said "Because I can't change it". These days I just hang up on anyone who has a foreign accent and wants to talk to me about a great job opportunity.

I thought it was weird too. Apparently they take out all of your identifying and contact information, so that companies can't contact you directly.

• Locked thread