Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

K. Waste posted:

I done told you guys.

Fuckin Tree man :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I would totally put Banshee forth as better than True Detective, but it's kinda splitting hairs because it's not THAT much better and they scratch very very different itches.

I am on episode 6 season 2 of Banshee, and I love it. That said why would you even mention it with True Detective? They are completely different shows, doing completely different things.

I've been recommending Banshee to all my friends that think SoA was good show. Banshee is pure pulpy fun with real violence and sex, unlike SoA. Only other show I can think of that does pulpy fun that good is Spartacus or maybe True Blood in it's prime (what an awful show did that become).

LloydDobler posted:

You should watch the Shield. It's streaming free on amazon prime if you have it.

I do, and put it on my list. About time I did.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

I am on episode 6 season 2 of Banshee, and I love it. That said why would you even mention it with True Detective? They are completely different shows, doing completely different things.

Somebody said True Detective was not good so then we argued about that for a while. He said he could name ten cop shows off the top of his head that are better.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Fuckin Tree man :smith:

Don't forget Chauncey.

edit: And Jimmy got locked up. Fuckin' b.s. possession charge, too.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
For anyone interested in Dawg Fight, Dada 5000 is holding his next event in June on a barge in international waters

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Don't forget Chauncey.

edit: And Jimmy got locked up. Fuckin' b.s. possession charge, too.

Yeah, but Chauncey went out a champion, at least. I really felt for Tree and wanted to see him get hit poo poo together and then, "killed by police taser".

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Yeah, but Chauncey went out a champion, at least. I really felt for Tree and wanted to see him get hit poo poo together and then, "killed by police taser".

Yeah, it's all pretty fifty shades of hosed up. You especially gotta love/seriously contemplate when Dada's brother (not his 'brother,' his literal brother, I don't even know if that was necessary) is saying, “This is what’s been goin’ on for centuries. The Romans started it with the coliseum and the gladiators. And it continues today, here in West Perrine.” The irony is palpable. The vast majority of gladiators were vilified and hated slaves. Only a few were distinguished by the honor of being "volunteers," and they mostly acquired this distinction by callously murdering these undesirables.

Like, the Boxing commissioner is constantly saying straight up that these fights are dangerous and illegal and that he has nothing to do with them, but these illegal rings are actually totally how these new athletes are 'discovered.'

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

nate fisher posted:

I do, and put it on my list. About time I did.

Awesome. Report back after the first episode, it gave me chills. Makes me sad I can only experience that once.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, it's all pretty fifty shades of hosed up. You especially gotta love/seriously contemplate when Dada's brother (not his 'brother,' his literal brother, I don't even know if that was necessary) is saying, “This is what’s been goin’ on for centuries. The Romans started it with the coliseum and the gladiators. And it continues today, here in West Perrine.” The irony is palpable. The vast majority of gladiators were vilified and hated slaves. Only a few were distinguished by the honor of being "volunteers," and they mostly acquired this distinction by callously murdering these undesirables.

Like, the Boxing commissioner is constantly saying straight up that these fights are dangerous and illegal and that he has nothing to do with them, but these illegal rings are actually totally how these new athletes are 'discovered.'

The parallels to gladiator fights also extend to the heavy implication that these are poor people being violently pitted against one another to distract the lower class from their misery, and that it's a desperate means for disenfranchised people to earn their freedom.

With regards to the first part of that:

"I'm against violence. I have to say that, because I'm involved with United Homes for Children. BUT" sums up a lot of the movie.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Watched a movie called animal which is basically a generic bunch of friends get lost in the woods then find a house horror movie. It's not good and the acting is dire but the creature effects are okay and it gave me a Dog Soldier werewolf vibe. It really loses track during the last 10 minutes and there's a hilarious scene where it turns out there car is parked about 2 minutes away from the house.

The least interesting and worst acted character is also the only surivvor. I reckon it's just because they wanted her running about with cleavage out but it was a bizzare choice, and if it was meant to be a twist it sucked.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I've been excited for Beyond Clueless since it was hitting the festival circuit last year because I love me some teen high school movies. It's a little disappointing after the wait, but still worth watching. As a documentary it doesn't have much of a thesis and basically recounts the themes and plots of the genre. It's pretty much a wikipedia article with clips. I wish they cited the title of every movie they show because it really makes me want to watch Can't Hardly Wait and American Pie and Clueless and everything they show.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
They added a season of Bill Nye the Science Guy on Netflix.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
New in June:

The Aviator (2004)
Nightcrawler (2014) (Available June 10)
Beyond the Lights (2014) (Available June 24)
Rosewater (2014) (Available June 10)
Lee Daniels' The Butler (Available June 16)
Sense8 (season 1) (Available June 5)

NEW SEASONS OF TV:
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (season 2) (June 11)
Bindi's Bootcamp (season 1) (June 15)
Danger Mouse (seasons 1-10) (June 15)
Dragons: Race to the Edge (season 1) (June 26)
Heartland (season 6) (June 17)
Really Me (seasons 1-2) (June 15)
Pretty Little Liars (season 5) (June 10)
[b[Orange Is the New Black (season 3) (available June 12)[/b]
Scandal (season 4) (June 13)
Some Assembly Required (season 1) (June 19)
Team Toon (season 1) (June 15)
Wizards vs. Aliens (seasons 1-3) (June 15)
Young and Hungry (season 2) (June 26)

NEW SPECIALS:
Rodney Carrington: Laughter's Good (2015) (June 15)
Shaquille O'Neal Presents: All-Star Comedy Jam: Live From Atlanta (2013)
Shaquille O'Neal Presents: All-Star Comedy Jam: Live From Las Vegas (2014)
Shaquille O'Neal Presents: All-Star Comedy Jam: Live From Orlando (2012)

OTHER MOVIES AVAILABLE:

June 1
Employee of the Month (2006)
Hidden Kingdoms (2014)
La Dictadura Perfecta (2014)
R.L. Stine's Mostly Ghostly (2008)
R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour: Don't Think About It (2007)
Sex Ed (2014)
The High and Mighty (1954)
The Magdalene Sisters (2002)
The Perfect Dictatorship (2014)

June 3
Best of Me (2014)
Hector and the Search for Happiness (2014)

June 6
On the Road (2012)

June 7
Words and Pictures (2013)

June 8
Grace of Monaco (2014)

June 9
Free the Nipple (2014)
It's Tough Being Loved by Jerks (2008)

June 11
The Legend (1993)
The Legend 2 (1993)

June 12
Champs (2015)
Life of Crime (2013)
The Cobbler (2014)

June 13
Antarctica: Year on Ice (2013)
Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)

June 15
Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer (2013)

June 16
Backstreet Boys: Show 'Em What You're Made Of (2015)
Curious George (2006)
Two Days, One Night (2014)

June 17
Point and Shoot (2014)

June 19
A Most Wanted Man (2014)

June 20
Cake (2014)

June 23
Advantageous (2015)

June 25
Ballet 422 (2014)

June 26:
Katy Perry: The Prismatic World Tour (2015)
What Happened, Miss Simone? (2015)

June 27
The Reluctant Fundamentalist (2012)

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Holy poo poo, that's a fast turnaround time on Season 2 of Agents of SHIELD -- less than a month from televised season finale to making the whole season available on Netflix.

Also, psyched as hell for Nightcrawler.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

Nightcrawler (2014) (Available June 10)

Aw hell yeah.

quote:

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014)

AW HELL YEAH! :w00t:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Nightcrawler is an absolute must see for pretty much everyone in this thread. Absolutely outstanding.

Orange is the New Black should be good too.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Any recommendations for gangster/mafia movies on Netflix? Reservoir Dogs, Donnie Brasco, Lawless, that kind of stuff? I'm mainly looking for serious ones, but light-hearted things like Lock Stock and Snatch work too.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chichevache posted:

Nightcrawler is an absolute must see for pretty much everyone in this thread. Absolutely outstanding.

Orange is the New Black should be good too.

Nightcrawler is amazing. It's more chilling than pretty much every actual horror film from last year.

Interested to see what they do with Orange is the New Black. I loved the first season, but thought the second season didn't really have a point in that everything involving Piper seemed really aimless, and her character progression seemed to stall/go backwards (although that could be due to running past the source material). At this point I think ditching her and having the show focus on everyone else would be better, but that's unlikely to happen. Although Homeland finally dumped Brody so I guess it's not out of the question.

drunken officeparty posted:

Any recommendations for gangster/mafia movies on Netflix? Reservoir Dogs, Donnie Brasco, Lawless, that kind of stuff? I'm mainly looking for serious ones, but light-hearted things like Lock Stock and Snatch work too.
In Bruges is really good. The Killing Kind and Essex Boys were other british gangster movies that I liked.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Danger Mouse? Going to watch the poo poo out of that. Hello my childhood.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

alansmithee posted:

Nightcrawler is amazing. It's more chilling than pretty much every actual horror film from last year.

It would be an easy #1 for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
drat after a weak month of May Nightcrawler in June makes up for it completely. I've been wanting to see that for months, came close to buying it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I completely missed Two Days, One Night on there. Really good month.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Sense8 and Danger Mouse. June looks pretty drat good to me.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

alansmithee posted:

Interested to see what they do with Orange is the New Black. I loved the first season, but thought the second season didn't really have a point in that everything involving Piper seemed really aimless, and her character progression seemed to stall/go backwards (although that could be due to running past the source material). At this point I think ditching her and having the show focus on everyone else would be better, but that's unlikely to happen. Although Homeland finally dumped Brody so I guess it's not out of the question.

they should just kill her off in a horrible bus crash

along with the rest of the cast

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
I'm about halfway through season 2 of Bates Motel and none of the brilliance this thread has talked about has happened yet. Can I give up now? I'm pretty bored with it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

The Time Dissolver posted:

Whenever people say, "The thing you have to remember is (work of genre fiction) is kind of, like, about (genre) itself" it's like, yes, genre works generally are created by people with knowledge of genre conventions and thus will reflect them somehow, so what?
You're missing out on the metanarrative angle, though. Not all writers are either savvy enough or self-aware enough to do it, and many more are not capable enough to do it without being hamfisted.

Radiolab podcast had an interesting bit about how Don Quixote was apparently the first novel to break the fourth wall and to acknowledge itself as fiction, and how hack writers started ripping on Cervantes' characters and so he wrote a sequel where his character confronts the ripoff artists. It was pretty interesting.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

morestuff posted:

I completely missed Two Days, One Night on there. Really good month.

It's already up in the UK, has been for a month or two, if anybody wants to see it before it gets added stateside

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Zombeaver was great. Stay through the outtakes to hear the closing credits song and the epilogue after the credits.. I've never heard someone rhyme "golden retriever" in a song, before. :catstare:

edit: "No animals were harmed during the making of this movie - except for the bear getting a purple nurple, but he started it!"

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 22, 2015

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Gerdalti posted:

Danger Mouse? Going to watch the poo poo out of that. Hello my childhood.

Yeah that's an interesting add, I'm kinda excited to watch it again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It would be an easy #1 for me.
I think I'd agree, but I qualified it because it's technically not "horror". That said I'm having a hard time thinking of another protagonist of another film that seemed that...repulsive? Idk but I think it's a shame Jake Gyllenhaal didn't win all the acting awards (although last year was a pretty strong year for the category).

Either way it's pretty much a much-watch imo.

umbrellar
Nov 6, 2011

alansmithee posted:

Either way it's pretty much a much-watch imo.

Absolutely. I was so bummed I didn't get to catch it at least a second time in the theater/bring all my friends who didn't have it on their radar.

I'd especially recommend it to anyone who loved Drive, though Nightcrawler is a more action heavy and thrilling, so I'd also recommend to anyone who thought that movie was boring. Yeah ... pretty much everyone should watch Nightcrawler. For me personally it was exactly the tense, focused, seedy-but-slickly-gorgeous night-time L.A. flick I'd been craving since seeing Drive.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Inglorious Basterds is up on Netflix. :D

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's funny hearing a bunch of people talk about how good Toad Road is, since I skipped it solely because a bunch of people said it sucked in the last thread.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Stake Land is a predictable but entertaining survival flick up on Netflix, told from the viewpoint of one survivor who is rescued by an unknown badass named simply 'Mister.' He kind of looks like Remo Williams with a goatee.

This time its a 'vamp' plague but it has some interesting twists, such as a religious coven using the vamps literally as weapons.

Kelly McGillis is in this but she's amazingly unrecognizable, didn't know it was her until the end credits.

Pacing reminds me of Z-Nation but obviously more compact.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NESguerilla posted:

It's funny hearing a bunch of people talk about how good Toad Road is, since I skipped it solely because a bunch of people said it sucked in the last thread.

I don't recall what their reasons were for disliking it but they're wrong.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

DangerDummy! posted:

King of Kong & Chasing Ghosts.

The people involved in this are all so ridiculous, but Mitchell manages to stand out as king. Walter Day is so weird I'm pretty sure he's related to Charlie Day.

Toad Road hits hard if you've ever been part of a friend group like that, the scene where they're jamming in the punk house is utterly true to life.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I don't recall what their reasons were for disliking it but they're wrong.

It's on Hulu now so I'll probably give it a whirl tomorrow. I think it was something like "annoying hipsters it doesn't go anywhere..." Something like that.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Toad Road wasn't bad, but it wasn't a super masterpiece like people claim. It wasn't what I was expecting going off the blurb about the film on netflix. Maybe I don't appreciate it because I'm not into drug culture.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love it and don't think it's a masterpiece. It's just a very good movie with an unusual amount of dread hanging over it.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Stake Land is a predictable but entertaining survival flick up on Netflix, told from the viewpoint of one survivor who is rescued by an unknown badass named simply 'Mister.' He kind of looks like Remo Williams with a goatee.

This time its a 'vamp' plague but it has some interesting twists, such as a religious coven using the vamps literally as weapons.

Kelly McGillis is in this but she's amazingly unrecognizable, didn't know it was her until the end credits.

Pacing reminds me of Z-Nation but obviously more compact.

Is that the one with the boss zombie guy, cause I thought it got a bit dumb.

I also didn't like how it killed one of the characters and then more or less replaced her in the last 5 minutes

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Alterian posted:

Toad Road wasn't bad, but it wasn't a super masterpiece like people claim. It wasn't what I was expecting going off the blurb about the film on netflix. Maybe I don't appreciate it because I'm not into drug culture.

You should start doing drugs