Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Amazon's selling the Paperwhite for $20 off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have a Kindle Fire HDX and the keyboard gets to unusable level of lag. Like, you know how that little Type Trace line fades away after you form a word? It'll take like 4 or 5 seconds to fade away... that level of lag.

Nothing else on the device is slow. Everything is super speedy except for the keyboard. If I hard reset it, it's fine but quickly gets back to unusable within a day (and it does so gradually).

I've removed almost every single app on there but it still does the same thing. Is this a known issue? I can't quite find someone with the exact same problem.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I've tried googling this ( and admittedly only briefly searching this thread ) but can't really get a concise answer.

I've got a bunch of unused gift certs from Amazon.CA piling up that I figure I might as well use for an ereader ( right now I use my nexus 10 but it's just annoyingly heavy in bed and too bright even with color temp/brightness reduction apps ). I have a .COM account as well ( with Prime for border hopping ) but of course .CA is a totally separate store/totally separate Prime/totally separate gift cards.

Anyway - I've convinced myself to get an eReader and have figured it's either the Paperwhite or a Kobo.

Does either store suck less for Canada? I pretty much exclusively read fantasy/sci fi, if that matters. Supposedly Kobo has an extra 500k titles but well, unless they are good fantasy/sci-fi series I don't really care.

If I were to get a Kindle, is the OS/Store actually locked to a region? Can I buy one from .CA and sign in with my Prime .COM account and all the glory that entails?

If I were to get an American Kindle, could I use it in Canada and still get to the .COM/US store? or would it just auto-detect based on IP and throw me to the .CA/CDN store?

Either way, what kind of a difference is there really between CA/US as far as books go? I know for movies/tv obviously it is quite different but for books...?

Supposedly Kobo will allow access to public library ebooks in Canada but the Kindle doesn't/won't ( 2 year old complaint in customer reviews on Amazon ). I don't even know what that means really, I haven't been to a real library in years.

Forgot to add - how about the Android apps? Right now I use Google Play Books so I'd be losing that library, but as long as either Kobo/Amazon has a decent Android app so I can read on occasions I don't have my ereader with me, then that is a huge bonus. Obviously my preference would be if I could somehow integrate the libraries but I'm sure that that is never going to happen.

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 1, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

TollTheHounds posted:

I've tried googling this ( and admittedly only briefly searching this thread ) but can't really get a concise answer.

I'll take a stab.

quote:

I've got a bunch of unused gift certs from Amazon.CA piling up that I figure I might as well use for an ereader ( right now I use my nexus 10 but it's just annoyingly heavy in bed and too bright even with color temp/brightness reduction apps ). I have a .COM account as well ( with Prime for border hopping ) but of course .CA is a totally separate store/totally separate Prime/totally separate gift cards.

Anyway - I've convinced myself to get an eReader and have figured it's either the Paperwhite or a Kobo.

Does either store suck less for Canada? I pretty much exclusively read fantasy/sci fi, if that matters. Supposedly Kobo has an extra 500k titles but well, unless they are good fantasy/sci-fi series I don't really care.

The selection is pretty much identical now for Canada vs. US. The pricing is the same (slightly cheaper in CAD thanks to poor CAD -> USD)

Book selection in general wise, almost any book you could walk into a bookstore and buy today is on Amazon and Kobo so general selection is not an issue. The day a book is released, is the day its available on your ereader.

Where lack of availability arises is usually due to stupidity on the part of the author (Bradbury hated ebooks, Rowling didn't think it was an ~authentic~ experience) or nightmarish publishing rights where no one knows who owns the rights anymore.

Or...in the case of Amazon, a spat with a publisher and the publisher pulling books. Kobo seems immune to these spats, I guess they're not big enough.

quote:

If I were to get a Kindle, is the OS/Store actually locked to a region? Can I buy one from .CA and sign in with my Prime .COM account and all the glory that entails?

Tied to your account. You can't buy back and forth from each store. You're locked into the store you activate the Kindle on. Same goes for giftcards, so activate the Kindle on the Amazon account with the giftcards.

quote:

If I were to get an American Kindle, could I use it in Canada and still get to the .COM/US store? or would it just auto-detect based on IP and throw me to the .CA/CDN store?

Pretty sure its one or the other. When I got my .ca Kindle I HAD to activate it on the US store because no .ca ebookstore existed yet. I recently switched with the dropping value of the Canadian dollar. :canada:

quote:

Either way, what kind of a difference is there really between CA/US as far as books go? I know for movies/tv obviously it is quite different but for books...?

Not from what I can tell? There used to be a huge difference but I'm pretty sure the publishers realized this was dumb and broadened their selling options when contracts were renewed. Can't remember the last time I went looking for a book that wasn't available in Canada but was in the US (North America vs. Europe and the UK on the other hand...).

quote:

Supposedly Kobo will allow access to public library ebooks in Canada but the Kindle doesn't/won't ( 2 year old complaint in customer reviews on Amazon ). I don't even know what that means really, I haven't been to a real library in years.

Correct. Its to do with the formats the 2 readers use. Kindle uses .mobi, Kobo .epub.

.epub is widely supported by the various ebook lending systems that libraries (in Canada, at least) use.

.mobi, not so much.

What this means is, you sign into your library's ebook lending site, and "take out" an ebook. Back in the day this was done through Adobe Editions? Not sure what the common program is now. The software makes sure your copy self-destructs in 2 weeks time, and if a license for a book is used you can't take it out. Applying scarcity to digital formats.

Could be different now, someone can correct me.

quote:

Forgot to add - how about the Android apps? Right now I use Google Play Books so I'd be losing that library, but as long as either Kobo/Amazon has a decent Android app so I can read on occasions I don't have my ereader with me, then that is a huge bonus. Obviously my preference would be if I could somehow integrate the libraries but I'm sure that that is never going to happen.

Can't speak for Android. The Kindle ebook app is pretty slick outside of Apple's idiotic restrictions that force you to only buy books through the website. Ditto for the Kobo app. Android does not have these restrictions as far as I know. All said, I still prefer to read on my Kindle.

So Kobo vs. Kindle:

Storefront wise, they're the same now. Price and selection. The big difference? Kobo seems to be fairly aggressive with coupons for cheap books. Amazon just randomly puts stuff on sale. At the end of the day, however, its stupidly easy to convert from epub to mobi so buy from wherever.

Hardware wise, I think the Kobos are nicer now. Versus a Kindle, Kobo's software lets you fiddle way more with fonts and formatting.

I have a Paperwhite Kindle, I'm happy with it. Can't really go wrong with either.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 1, 2015

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Snuffman posted:

Tied to your account. You can't buy back and forth from each store. You're locked into the store you activate the Kindle on. Same goes for giftcards, so activate the Kindle on the Amazon account with the giftcards.

Pretty sure its one or the other. When I got my .ca Kindle I HAD to activate it on the US store because no .ca ebookstore existed yet. I recently switched with the dropping value of the Canadian dollar. :canada:

Thanks a ton for the reply! I'll probably just go with the Kindle if all things are more or less equal. I'm not really bothered about font options and the like.

What you said here though sort of confuses me - if my Amazon account is the same, just different depending which site I sign into... How does the activation work exactly? My email address I use is the same either way.

Assuming I can pick which I'm registered to, post purchase (or switch stores by signing in/out of. Ca/. Com) is there any advantage to having Prime? Special discounts or anything? I don't see anything relating prime/kindle but wasn't sure.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Snuffman posted:

What this means is, you sign into your library's ebook lending site, and "take out" an ebook. Back in the day this was done through Adobe Editions? Not sure what the common program is now. The software makes sure your copy self-destructs in 2 weeks time, and if a license for a book is used you can't take it out. Applying scarcity to digital formats.

Could be different now, someone can correct me. 

My library checks out the limited copies of their ebooks through Amazon if you're using a kindle. The process is painless, you click a link and it takes you to an Amazon page to start the transfer. You can return it early from your account, and if you want to buy it all your bookmarks and highlights are saved.

Now, searching my library's terribly slow, disorganized, Overdrive-powered site only to find books 1,4, and 7 of a series are available is another matter entirely. I hate the false scarcity licensing situation.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have books on my kindle that I have gotten through my library (Amazon process). Other books have automatically been returned at the end of the use, 4 still remain 6 months after the 2 weeks was up.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I believe the expiration happens on Amazon's end, so if you keep wireless off and don't sync your Kindle then the library books will stick around indefinitely.

Also, with one of the books I borrowed and wanted to keep reading past the due date (it was an omnibus), after I deleted it from my digital library on the Amazon website and accidentally turned on my Kindle's wireless, the book didn't delete itself. My theory is that it needs the "loan expired" book file in your library to delete itself from your device, but I still haven't finished the rest of the books in the omnibus so I'm hesitant to test this out again.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Got my Kindle, sweet! Only - it has a loving dead pixel on it. I normally wouldn't even be that picky but seriously it is right in the center of the screen and because of the lighting on this thing if I tilt it ever so slightly it's like this glaring bright square boring into my brain. Super disappointing - in all the gadgets I've ever bought I've never ever had a dead pixel ( or at least one I've noticed ) and the very first time I buy an ereader that should have basically the least complex display panel ( compared to other higher res/colour displays ), it's defective.

On the bright-side Amazon was super great about sending me a replacement unit next day, so I'll keep my fingers crossed this one has no defects.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

TollTheHounds posted:

Got my Kindle, sweet! Only - it has a loving dead pixel on it. I normally wouldn't even be that picky but seriously it is right in the center of the screen and because of the lighting on this thing if I tilt it ever so slightly it's like this glaring bright square boring into my brain. Super disappointing - in all the gadgets I've ever bought I've never ever had a dead pixel ( or at least one I've noticed ) and the very first time I buy an ereader that should have basically the least complex display panel ( compared to other higher res/colour displays ), it's defective.

On the bright-side Amazon was super great about sending me a replacement unit next day, so I'll keep my fingers crossed this one has no defects.

Finally got to use it last night, my first time reading on an ereader AND at night and holy poo poo! This is an absolute joy to read on, I can't believe I waited so long to get one - it's just so pleasant on the eyes and not heavy on the hands. A+ would buy again.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I discovered over the weekend that a gen 1 nook doesn't like having more than a thousand books loaded into the library at a time. Or at least mine doesn't.
I found it in a box a few weeks ago (after thinking I had lost it in a move). After figuring out why it wouldn't charge (or as I put it after I pulled the back off "Batteries aren't supposed to swell like that.") I decided it would be a an interesting exercise to see what it would hold.
The interface got sluggish after a thousand books and after 1,300 or so it wouldn't update the library anymore.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I finally broke the screen on my kindle 4 (basic model with page buttons). Worth getting fixed, or should I check out the voyage/paperwhite?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

blugu64 posted:

I finally broke the screen on my kindle 4 (basic model with page buttons). Worth getting fixed, or should I check out the voyage/paperwhite?

I would try contacting Amazon first to see whether they'll still offer free or cheap replacement/repair. The Voyage and Paperwhite are excellent, but you might only need to pay like $20 to get the device you already have fixed.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I would try contacting Amazon first to see whether they'll still offer free or cheap replacement/repair. The Voyage and Paperwhite are excellent, but you might only need to pay like $20 to get the device you already have fixed.

They will also generally offer a discount on a new model if you have broken a previously owned one. So if you want to upgrade it may be cheaper. Their customer service is fantastic.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Heads up, there is finally a method to root the Amazon Fire HD 6 and 7

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Which thread should I ask in about e-reader programs, ie to manage and read epub files on a tablet? If this is the right one, then what do you recommend? Mom's previous tablet was an Asus something or another, and that came with MyLibrary Lite - which, confusingly, is apparently quite different from the MLL the rest of the world uses, which apparently only arranges books but doesn't read them.

(Reading this over, I guess MLL may have been accessing some program built into the tablet, but all the menus etc never mentioned the name of that program)

Anyways, it was hella convenient, intuitive, had a way to sort the books out, big icons with covers on them (some of the programs recommended by friends literally use filename lists as their "library" interface) and had fairly huge text settings.Anything like that (or exactly that, but not exclusive to Asus) you'd recommend?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Marvin is basically the best one on iOS, I don't know if they have an Android version.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Xander77 posted:

Which thread should I ask in about e-reader programs, ie to manage and read epub files on a tablet? If this is the right one, then what do you recommend? Mom's previous tablet was an Asus something or another, and that came with MyLibrary Lite - which, confusingly, is apparently quite different from the MLL the rest of the world uses, which apparently only arranges books but doesn't read them.

(Reading this over, I guess MLL may have been accessing some program built into the tablet, but all the menus etc never mentioned the name of that program)

Anyways, it was hella convenient, intuitive, had a way to sort the books out, big icons with covers on them (some of the programs recommended by friends literally use filename lists as their "library" interface) and had fairly huge text settings.Anything like that (or exactly that, but not exclusive to Asus) you'd recommend?

I really like Calibre Companion on Android, but it requires using Calibre on your desktop. If that isn't to your liking, try Moon+ Reader, maybe - I remember it having pretty good organization.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

withak posted:

Marvin is basically the best one on iOS, I don't know if they have an Android version.
Thanks. Will try it out. Two things I can't quite figure out:

1. How to set things up so that any epub file downloaded to the tablet is automatically opened with the reader program? ATM the tablet is using Aldiko, and I have no idea how to do that (and "open program, go to download folder, import" is so inelegant)

2. Calibre question. How do I set it up so I can batch convert a bunch of files and have all the converted files saved in the same directory instead of being spread in separate folders divided by author and book?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dunno about the first one, but the calibre one is a lil easier.

Basically, set em up to convert, convert them, and then right click the batch and choose "save in single folder" and it'll dump em all into that one folder you choose.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

man, e-readers must be going the way of the dodo if Amazon finally addresses the poo poo typography of the Kindle family but releases it first to the iOS app and the _actual_ Kindles won't get it until "later this summer". Makes me soooo glad I bought a Voyager for its premier Kindle experience.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm having such a hard time telling the difference between this font and Cecilla or the one that looks like it says Cecilla

smr
Dec 18, 2002

noirstronaut posted:

I'm having such a hard time telling the difference between this font and Cecilla or the one that looks like it says Cecilla

It def looks better, a lot of the little details typography nerds (*raises hand*) care about are beautifully done. I need to see if there's a way to find out which books I own have been redone to use the new typography engine because that's where the other big needed changes are, like the new, sensible justifications, drop caps, etc..

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I can't find any books that have been redone, including stuff that came out just last week.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

That new kindle font is nice, and kerning and drop caps support, finally catching up to Kobo's software. Literata also just came out for google play books (you can extract the fonts directly from the apk if you want to play with it). Good week for discerning font people.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 28, 2015

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I finally got a Paperwhite to replace my broken Kindle Keyboard and having a lighted screen is amazing, it completely changes the experience.

I was worried about the lack of page turn buttons but tapping the screen makes it a non-problem. The only problem I'm having is the lack of bezel to grab the thing, the KK had a lot of space and was more comfortable. Other than that I'm happy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gmq posted:

I finally got a Paperwhite to replace my broken Kindle Keyboard and having a lighted screen is amazing, it completely changes the experience.

I was worried about the lack of page turn buttons but tapping the screen makes it a non-problem. The only problem I'm having is the lack of bezel to grab the thing, the KK had a lot of space and was more comfortable. Other than that I'm happy.

That's the primary reason I bought this case, the lack of things to grip otherwise: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062IPIPQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

It also does the magnetic wake/sleep thing. I put two pairs of Velcro squares on it, one at each outer corner of the front and back, so that they close together when the screen's visible and i can kinda just stick my hand through between the covers. Makes it kinda like the old lighted Kindle Keyboard case's rubber band closure thing.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What do you use to send online articles to your Kindle? I read a lot of long form articles and I'd like to move that reading to something easier on my eyes.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

gmq posted:

What do you use to send online articles to your Kindle? I read a lot of long form articles and I'd like to move that reading to something easier on my eyes.

I was going to recommend Pocket but was surpised to learn Kindles still don't seem to support it. I'm so used to using it with my Kobo Aura and I love it; it's totally effortless and works so well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

gmq posted:

http://fivefilters.org/kindle-it/

Besides the website, there's also extensions for the major browsers with real extension support, and apps for the three big mobile OS.

There's also a "pastepad" companion at http://pastepad.fivefilters.org/ which you can use if the default method doesn't properly work with the article you want, where you can manually copy the stuff over and maybe delete things like ads or wonky formatting.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
For anyone interested, I just had a nice chat with someone at Amazon about implementing better things in the Echo, and she had mentioned that she also did support for Kindle. I said "People want the Keyboard back", and I just got this email:

Amazon posted:

I happen to be friends with the head of our Kindle department, so I put in a request for the Kindle 3rd generation, the Kindle Keyboard and let them know people still want these! I found out it is the top feature request for Kindle. Bring back the old one with a keyboard.

So, I doubt it'll ever happen, but if enough people bug Bezos, maybe he'll bring it back.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I love the kindle 3. I got it on release day after dropping my release day kindle 2 a few months earlier.
I have an iphone 6+, iphone 5, ipad, kindle fire, laptop, surface, and I still do 75% of my reading on the keyboard kindle.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

I love the kindle 3. I got it on release day after dropping my release day kindle 2 a few months earlier.
I have an iphone 6+, iphone 5, ipad, kindle fire, laptop, surface, and I still do 75% of my reading on the keyboard kindle.

The prior statement wasn't actually a setup for this, but it did inspire me to get some work done.

I ended up getting into a Kindle/smartphone/etc misc. repair business after fixing a couple 3s for myself and friends. I've mentioned that here under other accounts in the past, with permission.

I have several kindles listed at my cost just to get them sold so I can pay a rather nasty vet bill. They're in SAMart right now if anyone wants one- I'll be putting them up on eBay next week if they aren't all sold by then.

I also have a ton of new unlit cases for the 3rd gen, USB cables and NIB (white) US style USB chargers if anybody needs them.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Why the gently caress would anyone want the keyboard back? Its' a reading device, not a typing device.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I've got a Paperwhite and my girlfriend's got my old Keyboard. I did a search on it the other day and it still somehow felt nicer than doing it on the PW, even though the Kindle itself is slow as gently caress.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Odette posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone want the keyboard back? Its' a reading device, not a typing device.

Keyboard? No idea. Page turn buttons? Yes please.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SB35 posted:

Keyboard? No idea. Page turn buttons? Yes please.

Have you tried a Voyage?

To me, the page turn haptic buttons were virtually indistinguishable from the feedback I got from my Nook Simple Touch page turn buttons.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

Odette posted:

Some people take notes and don't really want an on screen option? That is the best reason I can find, but keyboard folks are very possessive of their keyboards.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

chippy posted:

I've got a Paperwhite and my girlfriend's got my old Keyboard. I did a search on it the other day and it still somehow felt nicer than doing it on the PW, even though the Kindle itself is slow as gently caress.

The keyboard is better if you're typing a lot but honestly I type/search maybe 1% of the time i'm on my Paperwhite, if not less. The 99% of the time I'm reading... well, I prefer a bigger screen/lighter kindle etc.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
It's also the people who have a Kindle Keyboard with 3G since the crappy web browser can be useful when traveling since it works basically worldwide.