Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

I can't stand Vastra and company, they were okay for one or two appearances but now they've worn out their welcome. They should have exited stage left after The Name of the Doctor. I also really didn't like how Moffat undercut a mindblowing scene with Jenny's "I think I've been murdered" by bringing her back to life instantaneously. "The Great Intelligence kidnapped us to another planet, including the dead girl, but luckily he left us a space defibrillator!" If Jenny had stayed dead, it would have at least given Vastra a dramatic scene where she wasn't overwhelmingly and unbearably smug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Why did the Doctor go out of his way to show the Great Intelligence a map of the London underground and mention that it was a key strategic weak point in The Snowmen? I know about the yetis in the underground that Two faced and all that, and I understand that in Snowmen it's the GI before it got around to that, but why did he do that? And why did Vastra or whoever it was go out of their way to go "well it's highly unlikely that the London Underground will ever become a key strategic weak point"?

And why was The Snowmen so loving bad?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think the point was that he had that lunchbox (was it a lunchbox? I forgot) lying around and used it to hide the memory worm in, and babbled about the London Underground map because Rule One The Doctor Babbles, and also to retroactively set up the Great Intelligence in earlier episodes.

To answer your later question, The Snowmen was actually good.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's like, third best for Christmas Specials. There's only been three good Christmas Specials, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was super-excited for Season 8 and Capaldi, and I was horrified at how bad I found much of the opening half of Deep Breath. But then it gets good, REALLY good. Then it gets even better, then it gets amazing! And though this should really be a mark against it, in hindsight the scene with Missy is incredible because now we have all the context for who she is, what she's like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

I was super-excited for Season 8 and Capaldi, and I was horrified at how bad I found much of the opening half of Deep Breath. But then it gets good, REALLY good. Then it gets even better, then it gets amazing! And though this should really be a mark against it, in hindsight the scene with Missy is incredible because now we have all the context for who she is, what she's like.

Season 8 on the whole is really good, except for Forest of the Night. That one's just a trainwreck of terrible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was really pleased overall with season 8, but yeah holy poo poo did Forest stand out as particularly terrible. Doctor Who and the Space Spiders was pretty poor too, but everything else was good to excellent.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Kill the Moon (mostly) owns, gently caress the haters.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm really happy with Capaldi, though he still feels like he's not 100% nailed down who his Doctor is, but Clara and Danny and that final two parter can gently caress off.

Luckily the Christmas special was really good, I just wish it had been her swan song.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jerusalem posted:

I was really pleased overall with season 8, but yeah holy poo poo did Forest stand out as particularly terrible. Doctor Who and the Space Spiders was pretty poor too, but everything else was good to excellent.

Kill the Moon was at least entertainingly bad. Forest of the Night is just outright bad, with a pretty goddamn awful message to boot.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Forest of the Night is just outright bad, with a pretty goddamn awful message to boot.

I was expecting them to go with a time-displaced jurrasic forest or whatever. Nope just Gaia theory bullshit delivered in the worst possible way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pesky Splinter posted:

I was expecting them to go with a time-displaced jurrasic forest or whatever. Nope just Gaia theory bullshit delivered in the worst possible way.

Dont forget telling all the little kiddies they don't need their psych meds, the Doctor says you're just special :v:.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I think the point was that he had that lunchbox (was it a lunchbox? I forgot) lying around and used it to hide the memory worm in, and babbled about the London Underground map because Rule One The Doctor Babbles, and also to retroactively set up the Great Intelligence in earlier episodes.

To answer your later question, The Snowmen was actually good.

Sorry it's bad. Really bad.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pesky Splinter posted:

"The planet's dyin' Clara!"

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Dabir posted:

Sorry it's bad. Really bad.

Lately I've been watching through season 7, for the first time. I thought The Snowmen was actually pretty good, though the single word answer that Clara gives to get the Doctor out of retirement was pretty stupid. As it is, its just blind luck that 'Pond' has a deeper significance as an answer for the Doctor, and the villain happens to be hibernating in a pond. As I was watching that scene I was guessing that the word would be 'children', as children were directly in danger in that scenario and season 5 established that the Doctor cares for children above all, and I still feel that that would have been a much better reason for the doctor to help out.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

To me it came off as an hour-long session of Moffat wanking furiously while going LOOK! LOOK HOW DIFFERENT AND SPECIAL CLARA IS! SHE DIDN'T SAY IT'S BIGGER ON THE INSIDE! THE DOCTOR'S BLATANTLY FALLEN IN LOVE WITH HER ALREADY! ISN'T SHE AMAZING!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dabir posted:

SHE DIDN'T SAY IT'S BIGGER ON THE INSIDE!

Please, they've been playing on variations of that one for ages, it's not like that makes her unique.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I guess after the whole Doctor and Rose thing during the RTD era, a single hour of the Doctor falling in love didn't seem that bad...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
When Rory first saw it he just looked around calmly and went "oh, it's another dimension".

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dabir posted:

To me it came off as an hour-long session of Moffat wanking furiously while going LOOK! LOOK HOW DIFFERENT AND SPECIAL CLARA IS! SHE DIDN'T SAY IT'S BIGGER ON THE INSIDE! THE DOCTOR'S BLATANTLY FALLEN IN LOVE WITH HER ALREADY! ISN'T SHE AMAZING!

Weird Sandwich posted:

I guess after the whole Doctor and Rose thing during the RTD era, a single hour of the Doctor falling in love didn't seem that bad...

It's been awhile since I last watched those episodes, but wasn't he more excited about the strange mystery surrounding her than anything?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Yeah, it's like, third best for Christmas Specials. There's only been three good Christmas Specials, though.

What are the other two, Christmas Invasion and?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He didn't figure out she was the same person from Asylum Of The Daleks until the end of the episode, before then she was just someone who made an impression. "Fell in love" is a bit strong but they certainly bonded.

I've seen Moffat get stick for his companions having some secret or mystery that makes then special rather than just being people who come along, but I liked how it turned out the mystery around Clara was because she'd jumped into the Doctor's time stream and she was otherwise totally ordinary. In the end what made her "special" was being a good person who did something brave to save her friend.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

What are the other two, Christmas Invasion and?

Actually I hate Christmas Invasion with a passion. My list would go A Christmas Carol, Last Christmas, and The Snowmen.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
There did seem to be a little romantic subtext in The Snowmen, but it was all one-sided from that episodes version of Clara.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Actually I hate Christmas Invasion with a passion. My list would go A Christmas Carol, Last Christmas, and The Snowmen.

Oh yeah last Christmas is good. I don't like Snowmen so my list of good Christmas specials would just be Christmas Invasion and Last Christmas.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

I've seen Moffat get stick for his companions having some secret or mystery that makes then special rather than just being people who come along, but I liked how it turned out the mystery around Clara was because she'd jumped into the Doctor's time stream and she was otherwise totally ordinary. In the end what made her "special" was being a good person who did something brave to save her friend.

That's a nice way to look at it, and it sort of explains why I like her character a lot better after the mystery of her is solved. I do like The Snowmen a lot, though.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The real list of objectively good Doctor Who christmas episodes is The Christmas Invasion, The Runaway Bride, The Snowmen and Last Christmas

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Christmas Carol episode is good.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

cargohills posted:

The real list of objectively good Doctor Who christmas episodes is The Christmas Invasion, The Runaway Bride, The Snowmen and Last Christmas

Runaway Bride has Catherine Tate at her most annoying. I like Donna in her later appearances, but she's really intolerable in Runaway Bride.

Bicyclops posted:

It's OK.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bicyclops posted:

I was actually a little sad about the fake-out, because Clara turning out to be old and enjoying her last Christmas with the Doctor really would've been a great ending for her. Not to say she's been a bad companion, just that it would've been a really good surprise ending on its own. I did like the Doctor muttering on about how he can't tell if she's old or not :allears:.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

The Christmas Carol episode is bad.

ftfy

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was actually a little sad about the fake-out, because Clara turning out to be old and enjoying her last Christmas with the Doctor really would've been a great ending for her. Not to say she's been a bad companion, just that it would've been a really good surprise ending on its own. I did like the Doctor muttering on about how he can't tell if she's old or not :allears:.

You can thank Jenna Coleman for changing her mind about leaving at the very last second for that fake-out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HD DAD posted:

You can thank Jenna Coleman for changing her mind about leaving at the very last second for that fake-out.

I know, but just on its own merits it was damned good and a little sad it had to be faked-out.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Re: the doctor having a thing for Clara. Everyone seems to be choosing to forget that terrible "in a tight skirt" line from Nightmare in Silver.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I think everyone forgot Nightmare in Silver on purpose.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

That's a nice way to look at it, and it sort of explains why I like her character a lot better after the mystery of her is solved. I do like The Snowmen a lot, though.

Well, also, after the mystery of her is solved she's mainly with Capaldi, who she's amazing with.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

NarkyBark posted:

I think everyone forgot Nightmare in Silver on purpose.

Which is all the more disappointing because there was so much hype going into it. Gaiman, Warwick Davis, and revamped Cybermen should have been an easy slam dunk.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Still can't believe they just made them the Borg.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Kill the Moon (mostly) owns, gently caress the haters.

OK DoctorWhat, you're a good kid.

But you keep using the term haters and I will know no respect for you.

You're better than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dabir posted:

Still can't believe they just made them the Borg.

Adapting to survive has been the Cyberman thing for 50 years or thereabouts, it's not like the Borg were that innovative

• Locked thread