Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I personally didn't find the pronoun game distracting. If the show keeps it up, I'm sure it'll get annoying, but the no-namedrops in the pilot were a non-issue for me personally. As an aside, I really enjoyed the sister dynamic between Kara and Alex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well they were going to make a Wonder Woman show, just David E Kelley turned out a terrible pilot. It's star wasn't even the problem, she's awesome on Agents of Shield. (where her first scene after revealing she was a good guy was to jump into an invisible jet).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

greatn posted:

Well they were going to make a Wonder Woman show, just David E Kelley turned out a terrible pilot. It's star wasn't even the problem, she's awesome on Agents of Shield. (where her first scene after revealing she was a good guy was to jump into an invisible jet).

Nah she was pretty terrible in that pilot. To be fair everyone was. But she was also terrible in the Aquaman pilot. Third time's a charm I guess.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah it must have been a writing and directing problem. She not going to win any acting awards, but she's not going to win a razzie either, she's hot and can sell an action scene, and is big enough you can buy her beating the poo poo out of groups of people.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Yeah it must have been a writing and directing problem. She not going to win any acting awards, but she's not going to win a razzie either, she's hot and can sell an action scene, and is big enough you can buy her beating the poo poo out of groups of people.
Also, she is pretty great on FNL. Tyra4Ever

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I was worried the Supergirl pilot was going to have some semblance to the ill-fated Wonder Woman show because of the first look footage. Glad that wasn't the case.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She also played the fake Supergirl on Smallville. With GI Joe she's almost played as many comics characters as Chris Evans.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

greatn posted:

and is big enough you can buy her beating the poo poo out of groups of people.

And does she ever!

SHIELD's beating the poo poo out of people has gotten so much better lately.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 22, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Yeah that was surprisingly good. Like Rocksicles said in another thread, it felt like an anti-MoS.

The two cringey bits from the teaser were still there, but everything else about the pilot was tight. The music/score was muh more appropriate and the VFX pretty drat awesome.

And the stuff the teaser didn't go into, drat. Looking forward to seeing where that last scene goes. :stare:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
As long as it doesn't fail the Bekhdel test, I'm okay with the cousin stuff. Less so that Dean Cain is in the credits for the show, because c'mon man.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So, how apt is the Lois and Clark comparison?

e X fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 22, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Only apt if you're a moron of the highest order.

People are going to rip it to shreds for no other reason than it's a tall poppy, and everything else has finished.

It's got everything it needs including a pretty good supporting cast and supporting story arc, from the pilot no less.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 22, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
In terms of "feel" and "quality" how does it compare to Arrow and Flash? Though I guess a CBS pilot might be unfair since they probably blew their budget load trying to make it look great to get people to watch it.

The pronoun stuff sounds super annoying, mostly because it doesn't make any narrative sense. And Superman never visiting her doesn't make any sense either. A very basic knowledge of the character would inform anyone that the dude would absolutely not be keeping his distance from the only other surviving person from his planet who is also a blood relative. It's baffling that they didn't come up with a reason that he wasn't around.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did though. It was in the trailer.

He's letting her become her own hero in her own city.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

In terms of "feel" and "quality" how does it compare to Arrow and Flash? Though I guess a CBS pilot might be unfair since they probably blew their budget load trying to make it look great to get people to watch it.

I felt the pilot was better than the pilots for Arrow/Gotham/Constantine, but not better than The Flash pilot. Acting was on par with CW/DC fare. The VFX were pretty nuts and definitely a highlight. Not sure if they can keep up the effects quality for a whole season, but I hope they do.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

The pronoun stuff sounds super annoying, mostly because it doesn't make any narrative sense. And Superman never visiting her doesn't make any sense either. A very basic knowledge of the character would inform anyone that the dude would absolutely not be keeping his distance from the only other surviving person from his planet who is also a blood relative. It's baffling that they didn't come up with a reason that he wasn't around.

Superman has a deep seated sexual attraction to his cousin and an instinctual desire, nay responsibility, to mate with her to preserve his race. He keeps his distance because he is afraid he can not control himself.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trust you to be a pervert about it.

Superman has always left her to her own poo poo. Case closed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

greatn posted:

Superman has a deep seated sexual attraction to his cousin and an instinctual desire, nay responsibility, to mate with her to preserve his race. He keeps his distance because he is afraid he can not control himself.

He solved that problem by finding and hooking up with a woman who looked exactly like her instead.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

They did though. It was in the trailer.

He's letting her become her own hero in her own city.

Letting her become her own hero and being completely absent are not the same thing at all. There are plenty of sidekicks and understudies who have had to become heroes on their own and they at least still talk to their mentors. The pilot presumably shows her first acts of heroics and even the designing of her suit, and the fact that he can't be bothered to help her at all, other than sending Jimmy to deliver a cape (because again he can't do it himself in two seconds) seems a bit absurd. It's bad writing. Good writing would be having a concrete reason as to why he can't be around. Like he's dead, or just gone or something. Going "nope, he's just not particularly interested in what she's doing, but he wishes her well" is really, really bad. Like even if these were two normal human beings, it would be really weird to not address that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes but you said they didn't come up with a reason.

They did. It's not a good one, but they don't ignore it entirely.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Maybe they'll reveal a better reason as to why he's not around in another episode. In the meantime, I'll assume he's busy doing Superman poo poo in Metropolis.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

teagone posted:

Maybe they'll reveal a better reason as to why he's not around in another episode. In the meantime, I'll assume he's busy doing Superman poo poo in Metropolis.

But you know why he's not around.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well that solved it. Superman in this show must be played by John Travolta.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yes but you said they didn't come up with a reason.

They did. It's not a good one, but they don't ignore it entirely.

As I already explained in the second post, letting her become her own hero isn't the same thing as completely avoiding her. Letting her become her own hero is not a reason to not give her the cape in person. It's not a reason to never speak to her. It only explains why he isn't flying around her city helping her save people and it's a bad excuse, since what does she know about using her powers to help people safely? It doesn't explain why he's completely absent. There is no reason given for that from what people are saying.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ToastyPotato posted:

Letting her become her own hero and being completely absent are not the same thing at all. There are plenty of sidekicks and understudies who have had to become heroes on their own and they at least still talk to their mentors. The pilot presumably shows her first acts of heroics and even the designing of her suit, and the fact that he can't be bothered to help her at all, other than sending Jimmy to deliver a cape (because again he can't do it himself in two seconds) seems a bit absurd. It's bad writing. Good writing would be having a concrete reason as to why he can't be around. Like he's dead, or just gone or something. Going "nope, he's just not particularly interested in what she's doing, but he wishes her well" is really, really bad. Like even if these were two normal human beings, it would be really weird to not address that.

Do you really give that much of a gently caress, or are you just being pedantic for giggles?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

Do you really give that much of a gently caress, or are you just being pedantic for giggles?

I don't think he's even seen the pilot yet. The pronoun game and Superman not being in every loving scene aren't really all that distracting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

As I already explained in the second post, letting her become her own hero isn't the same thing as completely avoiding her. Letting her become her own hero is not a reason to not give her the cape in person. It's not a reason to never speak to her. It only explains why he isn't flying around her city helping her save people and it's a bad excuse, since what does she know about using her powers to help people safely? It doesn't explain why he's completely absent. There is no reason given for that from what people are saying.

Again, you know why he's completely absent.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Why are people on a comic book subforum so averse to seeing someone explain a point of view? I said they provided no real reason for him not being around and called it bad writing, someone thought they did, and I explained myself more thoroughly, since it seemed like perhaps they didn't understood what I meant.

I am sorry words bother you?

zoux posted:

Again, you know why he's completely absent.

I know the real life business reasons behind it. The in story attempt at explaining things doesn't actually make any sense. Which is why I have been expressing disappointment. Because having plot points that don't make sense is a sign of bad writing, and bad writing is not good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obviously he can't be in the show... you should just rip that band aid off right now. But she's not in a universe without him.

So you get minimal Superman poo poo to keep the story going. Now she's not playing second fiddle in her own show, that'd be stupid.

ToastyPotato posted:

Why are people on a comic book subforum so averse to seeing someone explain a point of view? I said they provided no real reason for him not being around and called it bad writing, someone thought they did, and I explained myself more thoroughly, since it seemed like perhaps they didn't understood what I meant.

I am sorry words bother you?

Words don't bother me bruv, but you were making some troll shaped sentences. About something you clearly hadn't watched.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 22, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

I know the real life business reasons behind it. The in story attempt at explaining things doesn't actually make any sense. Which is why I have been expressing disappointment. Because having plot points that don't make sense is a sign of bad writing, and bad writing is not good.

No it's not? You are saying they should have Superman show up in person to give her the cape, but you know they cannot do it for business reasons. No amount of "good writing" is going to get you out of that.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's just something you're going to have to get over. I also wish it has been a show where Kara was the first kryptonian, but I won't let that keep me from enjoying it as is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's like people getting super mad at Hawkeye not being in Cap 2 despite knowing that they aren't going to pay Jeremy Renner money for what is an extremely bit part.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It felt targeted at a teen demographic. Was that how Smallville was?

greatn posted:

Well that solved it. Superman in this show must be played by John Travolta.

The ideal would be Nick Cage with big 80s hair.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Bad writing, bad scripting, bad writing blah blah"

This is a CBS show about super heroes from comics with HILARIOUSLY bad writing, as a general rule... this isn't high art by any means.

But it's all you got, so either get onboard and enjoy it for what it is. Or spend the next 2-3-4 years being a git.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Or spend the next 2-3-4 years being a git.

I...I can see into the future....

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

No it's not? You are saying they should have Superman show up in person to give her the cape, but you know they cannot do it for business reasons. No amount of "good writing" is going to get you out of that.

Um.. There are plenty of reasons for why a person may no longer be physically present (permanently or indefinitely), especially in a comic universe.

Rocksicles posted:

Obviously he can't be in the show... you should just rip that band aid off right now. But she's not in a universe without him.

So you get minimal Superman poo poo to keep the story going. Now she's not playing second fiddle in her own show, that'd be stupid.

Words don't bother me bruv, but you were making some troll shaped sentences. About something you clearly hadn't watched.

greatn posted:

It's just something you're going to have to get over. I also wish it has been a show where Kara was the first kryptonian, but I won't let that keep me from enjoying it as is.

I'm not saying I want Superman to be on the show or to steal the show. I am saying that if they wanted a show about Supergirl with having to worry about Superman, then use some creativity and get rid of Superman. It's not hard. Superman has, across more than one continuity, had more than one reason for not being present during things. My whole point is that they didn't even try. Instead, they just went, well he's totally around and about guys. He's no particularly busy, he's keeping an eye on her, apparently, but from a distance. Also he is maintaining complete silence. Hell, the premise that she is replacing Superman is actually incredibly interesting, and much better than, "he's also around saving people, but always some where else, and he can't be bothered as she takes her first steps toward following in his shoes."

It's bad because it smacks of having cake and eating it too. They want to tie it to Superman to get people to watch, and tease that he's out there, but they don't want him on the show. That's kind of shallow. Let Supergirl be her own show and drop the Superman stuff, using creative writing skills, an don't dangle him in front of audiences to generate interest.

zoux posted:

It's like people getting super mad at Hawkeye not being in Cap 2 despite knowing that they aren't going to pay Jeremy Renner money for what is an extremely bit part.

Not really though, if you actually stopped to think about it.

But it seems pretty clear that stopping and thinking about things we enjoy might be expecting too much of this subforum as well. Much better to just be a dick to people who have an opinion about comic book stuff. Goddamn.

Accretionist posted:

It felt targeted at a teen demographic. Was that how Smallville was?

Smallville was SUPER teen focused for like the first half of the series. It was targeting the Dawson demographic. About halfway through they started throwing a lot of comic book stuff in and just ran with it. It kind of became the proto-version of the Arrowverse stuff we have now by the end.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

'scheduling'

quote:

What it was going to be, we were trying to complicate the relationship between Cap and his S.H.I.E.L.D agent friends. If Hawkeye got a call from S.H.I.E.L.D saying Captain America is a fugitive, would he listen to that call or not listen to that call? That sequence actually was heartbreaking for us to cut it. I think it ultimately might have been a conflict with Renner’s schedule. But there was a great sequence where Hawkeye was chasing Cap through Washington D.C. there was an awesome sequence where they confronted each other in a ravine on the outskirts of D.C. and Hawkeye was shooting a series of arrows closing in on Cap, Cap closing in on him. And then Cap took him down and he realized for the first time that Hawkeye was trying to trick S.H.I.E.L.D, where he whispered something into Cap’s ear that Cap had a tracker on his suit and to punch Hawkeye to make it look real, because there was a Quinjet hovering above where they were watching the feedback back at S.H.I.E.L.D.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So did you watch the pilot yet?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You must like reading your own posts. I assure you, it's not this "good writing" you speak of. :)
I'm only calling you out a little bit, because you're being a notch above annoying.

If you want to sit down and write a pilot script for Supergirl at some point, i'll happily read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hope they treat Superman exactly like Maris in Fraser.