Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Choco1980 posted:

Speaking of Taco Bell getting their customers better, apparently a new one opening in the Wicker Park area of Chicago has applied for a liquor license.

I don't care if they are getting their customer base better. Their old breakfast commercials were at least tolerable. Every time I see those " breakfast defector" commercials I want to break my TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

If you think that's bad...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beKVrPW0LLQ
:commissar:

also I keep reading that hashtag as Man DP

yah but, Dem Feet

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

I don't care if they are getting their customer base better. Their old breakfast commercials were at least tolerable. Every time I see those " breakfast defector" commercials I want to break my TV.

The one for Nashville is awful. Two smug middle class white tools who "speak for the whole South," just utterly punchable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bluemillion posted:

Wait, are they really trying to market a third pound burger? Take into consideration what happened when A&W tried that:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/magazine/why-do-americans-stink-at-math.html

Hahahaa yessss, I knew all about this. Americans are so loving bad at math.

Phanatic posted:

Smith & Wesson makes a line of handguns called the M&P.

This is not how to advertise that:

Sidestepping the name issue, I don't want any gun ad to picture a gun pointed towards me in any fashion. That's a huge no-no.

jojoinnit posted:

I can't believe taco bell is somehow the only one who "gets it". It's like if RC Cola suddenly figured out how to outmarket Coke.

Its funny how Jack and the Box directly targets Stoners, trying desperately to do what Taco Bell has done, and yet it doesn't quite work. Maybe because they're too overt about it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The White Dragon posted:

also I keep reading that hashtag as Man DP

:thejoke:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't want to experience bullets, or feel them. In fact I have dedicated a significant portion of my life to not doing so.

There's nothing like the feeling of a well-oiled bullet something something I never played that game.

Choco1980 posted:

Speaking of Taco Bell getting their customers better, apparently a new one opening in the Wicker Park area of Chicago has applied for a liquor license.

Waiting for one in CO, WA, AK, or OR to apply for a retail marijuana license.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

I don't think I've seen those, but there've been absolutely insufferable radio spots, treating things like you've tuned into some pirate signal talking about a secret rebellion to take down the man...by eating Taco Bell for breakfast. Right.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Waiting for one in CO, WA, AK, or OR to apply for a retail marijuana license.

There was a great story in Texas a few years back about a mcdonalds that was selling weed straight out of the drive-thru. Like people would just pull up, order weed, and then get it and drive off. :allears: This went on for some time before they got busted.

Obviously it wasn't legal, though.

I have to imagine the manager was in on it :haw:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Choco1980 posted:

poo poo, the only better location would be a combined Taco Bell/ weed dispensary

EDIT: gently caress, I need to refresh before posting

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

There was a great story in Texas a few years back about a mcdonalds that was selling weed straight out of the drive-thru. Like people would just pull up, order weed, and then get it and drive off. :allears: This went on for some time before they got busted.

I worked at a pizza place where one of the shift managers would sell weed out of the store. He kept it in a paper bag out in the open, along with his pipe and grinder. He would go behind the store and smoke with one of the drivers.

The Glumslinger posted:

poo poo, the only better location would be a combined Taco Bell/ weed dispensary

EDIT: gently caress, I need to refresh before posting

:smug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a gas station chain here in Northeast Ohio that locks the doors ad midnight and you have to interact with the person through a window with a little slide out drawer for everything. The one by me had the midnight guy selling weed through the window.

When I worked at a different gas station this Jimmy Johns driver would come in and turns out she dealt weed while delivering sandwiches.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bluemillion posted:

Wait, are they really trying to market a third pound burger? Take into consideration what happened when A&W tried that:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/magazine/why-do-americans-stink-at-math.html

This sounds like bullshit, and Google is turning up tons of sites calling it bullshit but none that even claim there to be a source.

Kukash
Apr 22, 2010

Len posted:

There's a gas station chain here in Northeast Ohio that locks the doors ad midnight and you have to interact with the person through a window with a little slide out drawer for everything. The one by me had the midnight guy selling weed through the window.

When I worked at a different gas station this Jimmy Johns driver would come in and turns out she dealt weed while delivering sandwiches.

How does it feel to live in heaven? Jimmy Johns AND weed...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This sounds like bullshit, and Google is turning up tons of sites calling it bullshit but none that even claim there to be a source.

'snopes mcdonalds third pound' has this as the first link:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=90037

which has a link to:

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2014/07/great-third-pound-burger-ripoff

where the head of A&W at the time is quoted:

quote:

UPDATE: Elizabeth Green tweets that her source for this anecdote is Threshold Resistance by Alfred Taubman, who owned A&W in the 80s. Here's the relevant passage, after Taubman has called in Yankelovich, Skelly and White to figure out what was wrong with their burger:

Well, it turned out that customers preferred the taste of our fresh beef over traditional fast-food hockey pucks. Hands down, we had a better product. But there was a serious problem. More than half of the participants in the Yankelovich focus groups questioned the price of our burger. "Why," they asked, "should we pay the same amount for a third of a pound of meat as we do for a quarter-pound of meat at McDonald's? You're overcharging us." Honestly. People thought a third of a pound was less than a quarter of a pound. After all, three is less than four!

Granted, he might be full of poo poo, but at least he's a source.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Davfff posted:

i buy the one with the anthropomorphised toilet rolls on the packaging. what does that say?

I buy mine in a 250 grit. That seems the most comfortable.

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
I hate the ever progressively creepier Charmin commercials with the bears. We get it, you REALLY like wiping. "Everyone goes, so why not enjoy the go?"
Cue closeup of bear smiling as he wipes.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
We're not better at maths across the pond either. The National Lottery had to withdraw a series of scratchcards because the British public were incapable of understanding negative numbers and thought they were being defrauded: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/cool-cash-card-confusion-1009701

quote:

Tina Farrell, from Levenshulme, called Camelot after failing to win with several cards.

The 23-year-old, who said she had left school without a maths GCSE, said: "On one of my cards it said I had to find temperatures lower than -8. The numbers I uncovered were -6 and -7 so I thought I had won, and so did the woman in the shop. But when she scanned the card the machine said I hadn't.

"I phoned Camelot and they fobbed me off with some story that -6 is higher - not lower - than -8 but I'm not having it.

"I think Camelot are giving people the wrong impression - the card doesn't say to look for a colder or warmer temperature, it says to look for a higher or lower number. Six is a lower number than 8. Imagine how many people have been misled."

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

A million pages back, but back when I worked for McD's, they said at orientation that some people will literally pick McD's as a rest stop off the interstate, primarily because of the prided cleanliness of the bathrooms. Once they're in, they'll usually buy something. It was basically "Keep the place white-glove clean, because that matters in all facets of the company." On paper, it looks really dumb, but it's essentially "I just came in to the use the bathroom, and the next thing I knew, I was lovin' the McFlurrys! Who would've thought!?"

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Some people just buy something wherever they stop as a sort of voluntary bathroom fee. That's what I was raised to do, at least.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Some people just buy something wherever they stop as a sort of voluntary bathroom fee. That's what I was raised to do, at least.

Yep. One McChicken sandwich please and I'll be right back.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm the crazy one but I'd definitely rather go to a fast food place to use the bathroom than a gas stations on a road trip. And yeah, while I'm there I might buy an ice cream or something. It might not be McDonalds unless I specifically wanted a McFlurry or whatever but it's not that crazy for any fast food place to recognize this and take advantage of it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not everybody was taught/believes that but for a lot of other people it's "well, since I'm here I am kind of hungry so I'll get some fries, it's like $2." How long does it really take to clean a bathroom? Even if it means you have to have somebody there all day, every day just repeatedly cleaning the bathrooms in a good enough location it will basically always make the company money in the end. Especially if it's consistent; if every McDonald's has a clean bathroom, all the time, forever soon that's where people go to poo poo on the road which increases traffic. Not everybody will buy something but no business is going to turn down extra traffic in their doors.

That's kind of the point of doing anything to increase traffic and visibility; you don't need everybody to buy something just enough of them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MindlessHavok posted:

Maybe I'm the crazy one but I'd definitely rather go to a fast food place to use the bathroom than a gas stations on a road trip. And yeah, while I'm there I might buy an ice cream or something. It might not be McDonalds unless I specifically wanted a McFlurry or whatever but it's not that crazy for any fast food place to recognize this and take advantage of it.

I worked at a gas station that prided itself on clean bathrooms. Each bathroom has a sheet the employee had to sign off on every hour showing they cleaned it and every Sunday that sheet got faxed off to corporate. If there was a box missing it was Bad News.

What that really meant was we would just sign off without actually doing anything and fill in any missing boxes.

Unsurprisingly the place cared only about the most outward appearance. I got wrote up without any questions asked one day. It wasn't until I came back from my vacation and was handed a write up to sign that I pointed out I wasn't even there that day. A coworker had taken my name tag and worn it and failed a secret shop. But since he had my name tag on that was all that mattered and nobody even questioned how I failed the shop from four hours away.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b38kUOOJUN0

I can't help but feel that this is somehow extremely offensive.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MindlessHavok posted:

Maybe I'm the crazy one but I'd definitely rather go to a fast food place to use the bathroom than a gas stations on a road trip.

After one bad gas station bathroom experience I made this my policy, too. It was late at night and the restroom was outside the store, so the clerk handed me a key with one of those enormous wood blocks chained to it. The area around the door was poorly-lit, but thankfully I had a handy wooden morningstar in case someone decided he or she needed my wallet more than I did.

Didn't even need the key--the lock was busted and had been for quite a while. Inside looked like a set from Law & Order. Someone had taken a bat or a pipe to everything in there and there was what looked like either dried blood or poo poo all over the walls. Even the stainless steel "mirror" was warped and dented to hell (and also covered in some ridiculously offensive graffiti). I had a truly horrible travel poo poo ready to ruin my day within the next five seconds so imagine my horror when I noticed that the toilet seat was in two pieces in the corner next to the toilet.

You don't have these problems at McDonald's. Well, and Casey's--their bathrooms are usually pretty clean, with the exception of this one time I tried to flush and the toilet was clogged. I went to plunge it out and discovered someone had taken a poo poo on the floor and carefully covered it with the plunger :barf:

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

bathroom chat

I've seen some nasty gas stations bathrooms, but the trucker gas stops and chain gas stations are usually pretty good. I can't remember which one it is, but there's a chain of trucker stops that has full showers, a connected restaurant, coin-operated massage chairs, and a decent sized store. Pretty much paradise for the road weary.

On the flip side, the only thing worse than a gas station with a disgusting bathroom is a gas station that has NO bathroom for customers to use. Employees only! :argh:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I had a handy wooden morningstar in case someone decided he or she needed my wallet more than I did.

When was this, 1273 AD?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Karma Monkey posted:

I've seen some nasty gas stations bathrooms, but the trucker gas stops and chain gas stations are usually pretty good. I can't remember which one it is, but there's a chain of trucker stops that has full showers, a connected restaurant, coin-operated massage chairs, and a decent sized store. Pretty much paradise for the road weary.

On the flip side, the only thing worse than a gas station with a disgusting bathroom is a gas station that has NO bathroom for customers to use. Employees only! :argh:

That's just license to piss on the wall behind their station. It's a legal compact I'm pretty sure.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

NLJP posted:

When was this, 1273 AD?

Have you never had to go to one of those bathrooms? They usually have a giant stick or wooden block of some kind attached to the key.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

theironjef posted:

That's just license to piss on the wall behind their station. It's a legal compact I'm pretty sure.

Judging by the look of the side of the building, many agreed with you. There was also evidence of er, squatting. :stare:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NLJP posted:

When was this, 1273 AD?

Battle of the Golden Showers

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Karma Monkey posted:

Pilot, I think?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Most of the big truck stop chains are reliably pretty great, but there's usually a fast food place attached or at the very most across the street so it's kind of a moot point.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Flying J and Love's are both good ones

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Wanamingo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b38kUOOJUN0

I can't help but feel that this is somehow extremely offensive.

I think that's more frightening than offensive. An insta-pregnancy potion that makes a woman 8-months pregnant in a second? Sounds like Maury's got a lot of new guests

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Have you never had to go to one of those bathrooms? They usually have a giant stick or wooden block of some kind attached to the key.

Oh for some reason that parsed in my head that the morningstar was a whole separate thing. That's way less fun :(

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Karma Monkey posted:

Flying J's are always good. Casey's as well if you're heading south on 29. Tesoro's are usually pretty good and often have restaurants attached.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Now you just reminded me of The Jerk where the bathroom key was on a steel car wheel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ig5vcY9R50

Some items I've seen gas station keys attached to over the years:

feather duster
old 1920s monkey wrench
small frying pan
flyswatter
scissors
giant novelty nail cutters
a beat up Converse shoe

You Are A Werewolf has a new favorite as of 04:36 on May 23, 2015

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

You Are A Elf posted:

Now you just reminded me of The Jerk where the bathroom key was on a steel car wheel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ig5vcY9R50

Some items I've seen gas station keys attached to over the years:

feather duster
old 1920s monkey wrench
small frying pan
flyswatter
scissors
giant novelty nail cutters
a beat up Converse shoe

I've been given a plastic lid, a pasta strainer and a plush elmo that's seen better days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

lt_kennedy posted:

I've been given a plastic lid, a pasta strainer and a plush elmo that's seen better days

Plush? To take into a bathroom? :barf: