Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

Recipe for the kofte please!!! Just got a grill, need to work it out!

I used this recipe but upped the amount of spices by about 1.5x, and also used fresh ginger rather than pre-ground. The tzatziki recipe on there also turned out really good, though I recommend using the small end of the grater rather than the large. Made pickled red onions to go with it as well based off this recipe, with some added coriander, paprika & cayenne.

Served it with some grilled tofu and a couscous salad. Was the poo poo.

Correnth fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nachooooooooooooooooooooooos

Chorizo, refried bean, queso fresco, cheddar, avo, pico, jalapeno, green onion, lime

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Had a go at that Red Wine Chocolate Cake that gets raved about around these parts. Initially worried that it was proportionately a LOT of wine and would just taste of booze, but it really does all come together - nicely fudgy and delicious. Cheers to anyone who gave it props in the past :cheers:

Never been much of a pork-lover (ho ho), but decided to try something that looked interesting from a Xmas cookbook - pork escalopes (well, pork loin steaks really) with a creamy mash and wild mushrooms/shallots in a sherry/cream/juniper berry/garlic sauce.

The mushrooms were definitely the star of the show, but the pork seemed to come out okay (just seasoned and pan-fried in butter) but what do I know?! :ohdear:

Despite getting the rind kinda nice and crispy, I cut it off and didn't eat it because I'm still a big picky baby about pork fat - I have failed you, GWS. One day...one day.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I've never been a big pork eater in the past either, never had it growing up (except for the unidentifiable meat in cold cuts and sausages), never had pork chops, mince, roast or fillets as a kid, only got interested in it after I was 30 and was learning to cook properly for myself.
I've only cooked it a lot in the last 5 or so years. It's great in a milk marinated chop, or milk braise, or stir fry. Goes well with potatoes, cream, mash, garlic etc, and also goes well with Asian flavours obviously.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 16, 2015

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

Nachooooooooooooooooooooooos

Chorizo, refried bean, queso fresco, cheddar, avo, pico, jalapeno, green onion, lime

Would.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

iajanus posted:

I didn't get a photo during cooking or plating but at least one of my cats looks interested in my homemade pork sausages and roasted sweet potatoes.

All I can think of is that scene from Game of Thrones where the dude is waving a sausage at someone and laughing, but now it's a cat sitting to the side giggling.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steak, asaparagus, and some grilled cilantro-lime sweet potatoes.

Cardamom and date ice cream. We were so eager to eat this in the soft-serve stage I didn't dress it with as many dates as I should have.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Kale & cauli gratin

Skillet onion soup

Crushed peas, mint, parmesan.

Roast corn salad & falafs

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Wiener schnitzel, herbed roast potatoes, and asparagus. It was pretty loving tasty.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
finally made my own tortilla wraps again

and filled them up

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Hard work lasagne

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Is that lasagna topped with pepitas?

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

blixa posted:

Wiener schnitzel, herbed roast potatoes, and asparagus. It was pretty loving tasty.

Yes please. I miss wiener schnitzel something bad. Does anyone know a good gluten-free breading?

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Corn starch +/- whatever gluten free flour you have

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Cavenagh posted:

Is that lasagna topped with pepitas?

Yep, I like seeds on top. Sunflower works well too.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
My kid didn't like the cottage pie I made for him, so I guess I have to eat a pretty bland (intentional) dinner.

I found some long forgotten sumac in my pantry due to a previous mention (sweet potato chips with sumac someone did), discovered a spice blend called za'atar, so made some with sumac, cumin, thyme, sesame seeds, opt oregano. Roasting the carrots right now with garlic. Previous mention of sunflower seeds led me on to find some long forgotten pack of them too.
It's pretty good I must say. roast carrots, garlic, some frozen green beans thawed out, sunflower seeds for crunch with za'atar type spices as a side should liven up a mild cottage pie pretty good.

E: tl:dr I'm boring, but mentions of sumac and sunflower seeds in different posts in this thread led me to make something with old pantry stuff and left overs/rejected meals from my kid.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 21, 2015

G1M
Dec 6, 2013
Been mostly ded for a while,but I'm out of hibernation and it's grilling season! Yay

Chile rubbed ribeyes, bacon wrapped/cheese stuffed jalapenos(poppers), stuffed mush, and chemical warfare

E: please forgeev the alcopop

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

G1M posted:

Been mostly ded for a while,but I'm out of hibernation and it's grilling season! Yay

Chile rubbed ribeyes, bacon wrapped/cheese stuffed jalapenos(poppers), stuffed mush, and chemical warfare

E: please forgeev the alcopop

Theres no need for forgiveness. Nothing like an ice cold watery beer while grilling! Looks like you picked some of that up from HEB, if I had to take a guess, because that spread looks a lot like the one me and my buddy did last week.

G1M
Dec 6, 2013

Secret Spoon posted:

Theres no need for forgiveness. Nothing like an ice cold watery beer while grilling! Looks like you picked some of that up from HEB, if I had to take a guess, because that spread looks a lot like the one me and my buddy did last week.

No I live in the desert lands, no hebs around. Is that a grocery? Or was it more convenient store?

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.

franco posted:

Had a go at that Red Wine Chocolate Cake that gets raved about around these parts. Initially worried that it was proportionately a LOT of wine and would just taste of booze, but it really does all come together - nicely fudgy and delicious. Cheers to anyone who gave it props in the past :cheers:

Hell loving yes, seconding the winecake. I hosed up surprisingly little for being an idiot at baking; the final product was nowhere near as photogenic as franco's (I way overwhipped the cream topping, thinking it wouldn't come together as quickly as it did) but, anyway, :gizz:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's super hard to gently caress up the red wine cake. It's be far my most baked cake ever.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

G1M posted:

No I live in the desert lands, no hebs around. Is that a grocery? Or was it more convenient store?

100% grocery and the godsend if you have the need to buy actual prime steak. If you live in Texas you know and understand the joy.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Secret Spoon posted:

100% grocery and the godsend if you have the need to buy actual prime steak. If you live in Texas you know and understand the joy.

Not in Dallas :( Central Market is fantastic and owned by HEB, but it's way expensive.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Back to photos of lasagne now, and I'm working from hone today so I rustled up this little number. My secret? Add seasoning AFTER cooking, and use sliced cheese for that rubbery anti-bedwetting layer on top.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

Not in Dallas :( Central Market is fantastic and owned by HEB, but it's way expensive.

We have a place called Central Market here in Washington, and the seafood/meat/produce dept is absolutely amazing. Best I have found outside the farmer market for freshness. I actually prefer them to Whole Foods quality wise.

I'll get my regular everyday stuff from Safeway...but meats/seafood/produce? I will drive that extra 3 miles to Central Market and happily give them the moneys.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I did a special meat thing for a change: baby's first (ever) roasted pork belly! Could have let the crackle crackle more I think but I also never had crackling before. Is it supposed to be puffed up all the way? Can I pull off the rind and crackle it some more or has that ship sailed? It wasn't very good but something is telling me it should have been the best part.

I still have a good 3-4 portions left, think I'll put some in ramen soup and turn what's left into bao filling for lunches next week :woop:

Marinated in five spice plus ketjap, ginger, sesame oil and other assorted good stuff. The sauce made out of the leftover marinade+drippings is killer.

Quick 'n dirty sushi bowl with sweet omelette and stuff

G1M
Dec 6, 2013
Banh mi!

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Lunch today:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Mozzarella and feta on fried leek and diced dill pickles babby taters?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Garlic spinach feta pizza, cooked in an iron skillet.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

sweat poteto posted:

Mozzarella and feta on fried leek and diced dill pickles babby taters?

Parm and ricotta. I wish it was mozz, but I was just using up stuff I had.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
chicken pot pie

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm the bottle cap

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Pork bao :dance:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

That looks real good. I found this recipe, will that produce the right result? If not, can you offer a recipe?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Not what I ate, but what I drank cuz I wanted a negroni but was out of gin an had wine to use up.

Syrah, lemon/lime/orange/apple slices, campari, sweet vermouth, simple syrup, seltzer.

:dong:

Gonna suck this whole pitcher down tonight.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Quesadilla pizza, crust stuffed with aged cheddar, topped with buffalo mozzarella, oyster mushrooms, garlic buffalo sausage and parm.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

guppy posted:

That looks real good. I found this recipe, will that produce the right result? If not, can you offer a recipe?

Some recipes say to add a little rice or potato starch but any basic yeasty dough would be fine. Mine were made from leftover pita dough. V:shobon:V

Only advice I have is not to make the dough rounds too thin. On mine the bottoms stretched around the filling and I ended up with a very thick, bready top half and all the filling on the bottom.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

PiratePing posted:

Quick 'n dirty sushi bowl with sweet omelette and stuff

Yes you can pull off the crackling. Personally I'm afraid of getting shards in between my teeth. Is the sushi bowl the crockery or is there actual fish in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
To get good crackling i normally pour boiling water over the skin then pat it dry and salt it. Then blast it at a higher heat initially. I rarely cook pork belly however as I am poor; this method works on pork leg and pork shoulder.

• Locked thread