Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

ilkhan posted:

GT350's 5.2L V8 redlines at 8200rpm.

gently caress VTEC.

Its RWD but the rotary produces the same amount of torque as a 12v impact wrench and its very nicely balanced on weight distribution.

20 years ago people that said that to me were probably driving a holden 202 with only 170 ft/lb (about the same as a rotary), or even worse, a 4 cyl. yet they thought they had way more torque.
Hint: if rotaries didn't have torque, they wouldn't be very fast in acceleration. They have enough torque for their weight, hell, back before towing weights were enforced, one of my mates towed a car trailer with another rx onboard (if a holden 202 could do it with similar torque, then why not).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
Back in January they were running a 20% incentive on Camaros including the Z/28. They were going for $60k. A $2k incentive is not news.

Here's a new 2014 for 64k and 4k off: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...384619282&Log=0

There are plenty of 2015s going for the mid-60s with 2k off as well. If you're in the market for that car, it's a hell of a deal. Given how many people paid MSRP for that car it's basically avoiding the depreciation you'd get in the first two years or so.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Back in January they were running a 20% incentive on Camaros including the Z/28. They were going for $60k. A $2k incentive is not news.

Here's a new 2014 for 64k and 4k off: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...384619282&Log=0

There are plenty of 2015s going for the mid-60s with 2k off as well. If you're in the market for that car, it's a hell of a deal. Given how many people paid MSRP for that car it's basically avoiding the depreciation you'd get in the first two years or so.

I posted one a while back(maybe in this thread?) that was listed for around $52k. Honestly had me pretty interested. It's an insane amount of car for that money.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

davebo posted:

Okay you guys blew my mind. For 12 years I've thought the RX-8 was an AWD car. I even remember when it came out Jay Leno had one and said it was his car he takes to work when it's going to rain, which made sense to me since the AWD would provide better traction. It also made sense why it got such crummy mileage if it was AWD. I guess someone just told me that early on and the pieces fit so I never questioned it. My apologies for being dumb.

It's because he didn't care if he crashed it ;)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fo3 posted:

20 years ago people that said that were probably driving a holden 202 with only 170 ft/lb (about the same as a rotary), or even worse, a 4 cyl. yet they thought they had way more torque.
Hint: if rotaries didn't have torque, they wouldn't be very fast in acceleration.

If the RX-8 had torque, it wouldn't need a 4.78 rear end to get it to run 15s.

Drag racing gears in a 3000lb car, and it's still considerably slower than a v6 camry.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Not comparing it to modern cars (I'm no fan of a naturally aspirated RX8 as it came out, which I've said before).
"hur hur no torque in a rotary" was being said 20+ years ago, when the people saying it often didn't have more torque in their holden 202 or whatever other 4cyl. My point was it's been stated as fact for decades and repeated as such by the clueless.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 22, 2015

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Any word on the new Mazda 2? My FiST lease is up in January and i'm trying to figure out what to get next. I'm probably going super cheap since I ride
my motorcycle way more than my car so I basically want to lease the cheapest and smallest hatchback with a manual transmission. I love the fiesta, but it's stupid down here in NYC with all the traffic and potholes.

If it comes down to it, I might just get whatever car has a zero down $99/month lease with a stick :(

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I don't think the new mazda 2 is going to be super cheap. You're probably looking at a kia rio (If they sell them there - and if you don't want to pay extra $$$$ for the mazda 2 styling).

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Voltage posted:

Any word on the new Mazda 2? My FiST lease is up in January and i'm trying to figure out what to get next. I'm probably going super cheap since I ride
my motorcycle way more than my car so I basically want to lease the cheapest and smallest hatchback with a manual transmission. I love the fiesta, but it's stupid down here in NYC with all the traffic and potholes.

If it comes down to it, I might just get whatever car has a zero down $99/month lease with a stick :(

How are used Fiat 500 Abarths depreciating around you? I see Abarths locally asking $13k. Guaranteed to have a stick, decent engine.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fo3 posted:

I don't think the new mazda 2 is going to be super cheap. You're probably looking at a kia rio (If they sell them there - and if you don't want to pay extra $$$$ for the mazda 2 styling).

Dunno, the Scion version of the new 2 sedan is supposedly going to be in the 16k range

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mange Mite posted:

Dunno, the Scion version of the new 2 sedan is supposedly going to be in the 16k range

That's not super cheap though, the cars that he's talking about that you get for 0 down $99/mo lease are like the Chevy Spark, Kia Rio, and other things with an MSRP under $14k.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Voltage posted:

Leaf?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
If I got another used car I'd get a Prizm/rolla again, so no way on a used fiat.

Around NYC they always have deals for civics and corollas for 100-150/month but I kind if want a hatchback, and the only one I keep seeing deals for is the drat Kia Soul, but maybe I could get a rio for equally cheap.

I'd get an electric car in a heartbeat if I could charge it somewhere! Seriously the minute I have a house/job that I can charge at, its happening.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Voltage posted:

If I got another used car I'd get a Prizm/rolla again, so no way on a used fiat.

Around NYC they always have deals for civics and corollas for 100-150/month but I kind if want a hatchback, and the only one I keep seeing deals for is the drat Kia Soul, but maybe I could get a rio for equally cheap.

I'd get an electric car in a heartbeat if I could charge it somewhere! Seriously the minute I have a house/job that I can charge at, its happening.

You can get a brand new Mitsubishi Mirage with a 5 speed for under 10 grand near me. It's a pretty lovely car, but as far as brand new, cheap, hatchback, and 5 speed is concerned you probably can't beat that price. Plus 10 year 100,000 mile warranty and 34/42mpg!

http://www.southcoastmitsubishi.com/new/Mitsubishi/2014-Mitsubishi-Mirage-costa-mesa-c34d08e10a0a0002523e8c395ed879f4.htm

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

To be fair to the RX-8, if you built an engine that puts out 1 ft lbf @ 1,000,000 RPM, it would be the fastest thing on the road with the right gearing. A 4.78 rear end doesn't mean jack squat when your red line is 9k RPM.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BoostCreep posted:

You can get a brand new Mitsubishi Mirage with a 5 speed for under 10 grand near me. It's a pretty lovely car, but as far as brand new, cheap, hatchback, and 5 speed is concerned you probably can't beat that price. Plus 10 year 100,000 mile warranty and 34/42mpg!

http://www.southcoastmitsubishi.com/new/Mitsubishi/2014-Mitsubishi-Mirage-costa-mesa-c34d08e10a0a0002523e8c395ed879f4.htm

I'm driving a 50hp rental right now and 74hp would still scare me. If you do any highway ever I'd spring for at least 100hp.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fo3 posted:

20 years ago people that said that to me were probably driving a holden 202 with only 170 ft/lb (about the same as a rotary), or even worse, a 4 cyl. yet they thought they had way more torque.
Hint: if rotaries didn't have torque, they wouldn't be very fast in acceleration. They have enough torque for their weight, hell, back before towing weights were enforced, one of my mates towed a car trailer with another rx onboard (if a holden 202 could do it with similar torque, then why not).

There is a huge difference between how the old Holden 202 developed its torque compared to a RX-8. The Holden motor being an old school straight six developed most of its torque before 2000rpm, therefore you could go from first gear to top gear without the motor lugging. However it would run out of puff around 4500rpm

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Haha no way I could go from a Fiesta ST to a 3cyl mirage! I just sat in one at the auto show and I cant believe that is a real car they make in 2015.

I mean, I can afford a nicer car, and if I didn't live in NYC id get a ND miata, focus RS or a 228i, but It would just be such a waste down here. I'm thinking Mazda 2, Kia Rio, possibly Yaris. Comedy option of the new Smart car which is actually a proper manual and turbo with ~100hp. I checked it out at the auto show and It's actually got a pretty cool interior, but man what an embarrassing thing to drive.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
Power is torque when you take advantage of gearing. Thats all there is too it, you guys are trying to over-complicate things.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Article with lots of diagrams comparing size of the new Camaro with its predecessors.

Lots of pictures that I don't feel like linking here in it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hmm, interesting. The 2016 is roughly 2 inches taller, 2 inches wider and 4 inches longer than the original.

(Yes, I'm rounding)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Still reading.

Saw an old mach 1 the other day. Much as the new mustangs look big and hefty...that definitely seemed like a bigger/wider/longer car (but with left visual heft, as it wasn't as tall/thick so the weight was just as tall but higher off the ground. Made a big difference in appearance).

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Article on Marchionne in the NYT: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/24/business/detroits-chief-instigator.html?_r=0

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

davebo posted:

Would a 2 liter turbo engine throw the balance that far off in an FRS? I know its a heavier AWD car but I remember that guy that put an LS1 in an RX-8 and actually got better 50-50 balance than stock.

I doubt it. It would probably be just fine to drive regularly, and if you really wanted the perfect balance, you could do whatever shenanigans you want after the fact (or get the NA engine). There's some notion that it's honourable and pure to drive things that are underpowered (granted, you can push them to their limit, because the limit is not that high, but is that really a virtue in and of itself when it doesn't mean you're actually going any faster or cornering noticeably better?).

I can't imagine driving any sort of performance car (or any car in general really, unless economy was a significant factor) and going: "well, this is quite an excellent car. But I think I'd prefer it with less power."

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Hellcat all the things!
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2017-jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-feature

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

PT6A posted:

I doubt it. It would probably be just fine to drive regularly, and if you really wanted the perfect balance, you could do whatever shenanigans you want after the fact (or get the NA engine). There's some notion that it's honourable and pure to drive things that are underpowered (granted, you can push them to their limit, because the limit is not that high, but is that really a virtue in and of itself when it doesn't mean you're actually going any faster or cornering noticeably better?).

I can't imagine driving any sort of performance car (or any car in general really, unless economy was a significant factor) and going: "well, this is quite an excellent car. But I think I'd prefer it with less power."

There comes a point when you've got too much power for the street, though.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hell yes. Surprised it took them this long to announce it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TKIY posted:

Hell yes. Surprised it took them this long to announce it.

they still haven't that's still speculation.

e: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-ford-f-150-27-ecoboost-4x4-test-review

0-60 in 5.7 seconds in a 4800lb truck with a 2.7 liter engine :stare:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
:geno: The current GC and GC SRT sell so well that I doubt they will add anything to it for a while, they have no extra production capacity and there are other vehicles that need the extra shot in the arm for sales.

So I guess what I am saying is that the problem with the hellcat is that there is too much rear traction

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

drgitlin posted:

There comes a point when you've got too much power for the street, though.

:getout:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

It's on the same list as the mid-engine Corvette that Car and Driver have been claiming is 2-3 years away for the past 20 years and a Fiat Ram that FCA has already said they aren't building.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

The only time this poo poo ever comes up is when the underpowered twins get mentioned.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Voltage posted:

Haha no way I could go from a Fiesta ST to a 3cyl mirage! I just sat in one at the auto show and I cant believe that is a real car they make in 2015.

You know, I'm going to take up for the Mirage. They don't load up the interior with all the stupid infotainment poo poo that's gonna break. Its just a cheap, car that doesn't aspire to be anything else. And what's wrong with that? I know I've heard more than a few people around these parts lament that they don't make stripper models of modern cars nowadays, whelp here's one. As a car to take me back and forth to work, get groceries and keep miles off my project cars a Mirage seems like it fits the bill.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Coredump posted:

You know, I'm going to take up for the Mirage. They don't load up the interior with all the stupid infotainment poo poo that's gonna break. Its just a cheap, car that doesn't aspire to be anything else. And what's wrong with that? I know I've heard more than a few people around these parts lament that they don't make stripper models of modern cars nowadays, whelp here's one. As a car to take me back and forth to work, get groceries and keep miles off my project cars a Mirage seems like it fits the bill.

Except it's a pile of poo poo. Being a modern day yugo without the charm isn't a redeeming feature.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I guess it depends on what your other options are in that price range - here that'd be Fiat Panda or Suzuki Swift territory and they're far more pleasant vehicles.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Coredump posted:

Drive one and report back. It is a tremendous pile of poo poo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

Drive one and report back. It is a tremendous pile of poo poo.

It really is, which is hilarious because they want $13k for it in the states. the nissan micra starts at 10 grand here, the equivalent of $8000 USD. you also get 50% more horsepower, and enough tire to turn and brake safely.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

The only time this poo poo ever comes up is when the underpowered twins get mentioned.

Nissan was selling the same 2600lb RWD car in the 1990s and calling it the 240sx and it had a truck engine with 50 fewer ponies than the 'underpowered twins' and people love the poo poo out of them at the same time they whine about how Toyota can't do anything right.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

HotCanadianChick posted:

Nissan was selling the same 2600lb RWD car in the 1990s and calling it the 240sx and it had a truck engine with 50 fewer ponies than the 'underpowered twins' and people love the poo poo out of them at the same time they whine about how Toyota can't do anything right.

The 240 is also underpowered, but for the time it was fine. And only neutered in the US. And could be easily modified to make much more, and very often was.

All I'm getting out of this is that Toyota hasn't managed to improve upon a mid 90s Nissan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

As it turns out, some people just wanted a sporty car instead of a fast one.

e: being 600 odd pounds lighter is also probably a selling point to someone

razorscooter fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 24, 2015