Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I got to Novigrad just to spite those dudes at the crossing. :argh: I've barely touched Oxenfurt though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm glad Thaler is alive and well, and found himself some troll friends. Seems like he has much he could teach them.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Anyone know what effects your ability to negotiate prices for witcher contracts?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
James Clyde as the Bloody Baron is amazing. Easily one of the best performances I've seen in a video game outside Arkham City or Last of Us.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
After the bloody baron quest I get the feeling that all quest NPCs are lying to you.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Solartide posted:

After the bloody baron quest I get the feeling that all quest NPCs are lying to you.

Better not do the Keira Metz line then!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I think it got lost because the thread moves so fast, but what does the Blizzard potion actually DO? I can't find anything about it, and it seems to have no effect in game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm curious, has anyone here beaten it yet? It doesn't sound like most of you have even gotten to Novigrad.

I started on Tuesday, took Thursday and Friday off work, the Galaxy play time counter is broken but I think I've clocked 30 hours at this point, and no, I haven't even gotten to Novigrad yet. I'm level 10. The game is almost intimidatingly large. I go on a business trip next week too so I doubt I'll finish the game in weeks.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm curious, has anyone here beaten it yet? It doesn't sound like most of you have even gotten to Novigrad.

I'm almost done Act 1 ... I have 55 hours played. I'm around level 21 or 20. What a big loving game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

OK then, well, I'm at the choice at the bit in Velen where the tree spirit is asking me to free it to fight the hags. I've heard differing output on this, what's the deal with either choice here? I haven't spoken word one to the Bloody Baron yet.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I've just reached Skellige after doing every non-red quest I could find in Velen/novigrad. The game is just massive.

evilmiera posted:

OK then, well, I'm at the choice at the bit in Velen where the tree spirit is asking me to free it to fight the hags. I've heard differing output on this, what's the deal with either choice here? I haven't spoken word one to the Bloody Baron yet.
These are some pretty big spoilers, so read at your own risk.
If you free the tree spirit, he will rescue the children, but will raze the village that asked you to kill him, since they are working for the Crones. The crones will retaliate by cursing Gran, ultimately killing her, and the Baron will end up dead as a result.

If you kill him, the children get eaten by the crones, Gran loses her mind, but the Baron lives, and the village doesn't get razed.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 22, 2015

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

With 18 hours played I'm around level 8 and have completed White Orchad and explored only a small part of Velen. I don't use the fast travel and have a tendency to walk/trot everywhere, it's just such a pretty game. It will be a year before I beat it at this pace.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

evilmiera posted:

If you do one thing, a bad thing will happen.

If you do another thing, a different bad thing will happen.

-The Witcher.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Also in case anyone cares a dedicated alchemy character is very doable and actually super strong. Some of the high level potion stuff is just nuts. You really want to be diligent about getting your potions upgraded. Pretty much every recipe is sold on vendors that I have seen. There is one vendor that sells superior versions of pretty much every potion oil and bomb but you gotta do a quest to unlock them and of course you need regular and enhanced versions first.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Toadsmash posted:

Better not do the Keira Metz line then!

Doesn't matter had sex

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Broken Cog posted:

I've just reached Skellige after doing every non-red quest I could find in Velen/novigrad. The game is just massive.

These are some pretty big spoilers, so read at your own risk.
If you free the tree spirit, he will rescue the children, but will raze the village that asked you to kill him, since they are working for the Crones. The crones will retaliate by cursing Gran, ultimately killing her, and the Baron will end up dead as a result.

If you kill him, the children get eaten by the crones, Gran loses her mind, but the Baron lives, and the village doesn't get razed.

i went with the first choice. yeah it has some lovely outcomes but gently caress the crones village idiots and old baron robert baratheon was one foot in the grave already, saving the kids seemed like a decent choice.also keria got the axe too.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Also in case anyone cares a dedicated alchemy character is very doable and actually super strong. Some of the high level potion stuff is just nuts. You really want to be diligent about getting your potions upgraded. Pretty much every recipe is sold on vendors that I have seen. There is one vendor that sells superior versions of pretty much every potion oil and bomb but you gotta do a quest to unlock them and of course you need regular and enhanced versions first.

The only unfortunate thing about an alchemy build is all the green mutagens I've found are just +vitality, which is not too compelling compared to what the other colors get you. There's probably cooler ones later on though.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

With 18 hours played I'm around level 8 and have completed White Orchad and explored only a small part of Velen. I don't use the fast travel and have a tendency to walk/trot everywhere, it's just such a pretty game. It will be a year before I beat it at this pace.

I was only level 4 when I left White Orchid and I felt like I had nearly exhausted the content there. What the hell did I miss? :psyduck:

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Also keria got the axe too.

You monster.

I sent her to Kaer Morhan...to hang out with Letho. After I confiscated the formula. Not sure if there will be repercussions for that.

Just curious for people.

Cat, Bear, or Griffon? I've been rocking Cat on Death March difficulty. It works quite well.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I think I'm beginning to understand the ambivalence, or outright fear/hate, the general populace has towards witchers. In the typical folk tale, the handsome gallant hero emerges to right wrongs and slay beasts for honor, duty, or the people. His motivations are altruistic although he is typically rewarded with riches or titles. Unfortunately, the witcherverse has no Robin Hoods or knights in shining armor. If a troll is terrorizing the countryside, your only solace is in secretive and terrifying genetic freaks that have built a reputation out of opportunism. They'll haggle and price-gouge you, then loiter around to gently caress the womenfolk. To the peasantry, witchers must seem like a perverse mockery of the archetypal hero trope.

But gently caress that, the witcher life owns. Get orens, quaff potions, gently caress witches.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.

Haroshia posted:

Doesn't matter had sex

Same. Soon as I saw some nip slip I was on a mission to tap it like a fish tank.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

theDOWmustflow posted:

But gently caress that, the witcher life owns. Get orens, quaff potions, gently caress witches.

Word.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

theDOWmustflow posted:

I think I'm beginning to understand the ambivalence, or outright fear/hate, the general populace has towards witchers, not that I agree with it. In the typical folk tale, the handsome gallant hero emerges to right wrongs and slay beasts for honor, duty, or the people. His motivations are altruistic although he is typically rewarded with riches or titles. Unfortunately, the witcherverse has no Robin Hoods or knights in shining armor. If a troll is terrorizing the countryside, your only solace is in secretive and terrifying genetic freaks that have built a reputation out of opportunism. They'll haggle and price-gouge you, then loiter around to gently caress the womenfolk. To the peasantry, witchers must seem like a perverse mockery of the archetypal hero trope.

Honestly, the thing where they take little boys via occasionally shady means and kill 70% of them is alone reason enough for all peasants everywhere to hate and fear witchers. Everything else is just gravy.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

FuriousGeorge posted:

I was only level 4 when I left White Orchid and I felt like I had nearly exhausted the content there. What the hell did I miss? :psyduck:

I was 4 when I left too. You'll get a lot of experience points following the main mission and some side missions as soon as you get to Velen. I started it at 4 or 5 and got 3 levels out of it pretty quickly.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 22, 2015

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

FrancoFish posted:

I think it got lost because the thread moves so fast, but what does the Blizzard potion actually DO? I can't find anything about it, and it seems to have no effect in game.

Gives you a toned down version of bullet time. It's less obvious than in any other game series, but in the Witcher 3 where combat maneuvering and timing is so precision-based, the slowdown effect actually feels huge.

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

Honestly, the thing where they take little boys via occasionally shady means and kill 70% of them is alone reason enough for all peasants everywhere to hate and fear witchers. Everything else is just gravy.

Let's not also forget that the Wolf school is the GOOD Witcher school. Cat and Viper both went full paid assassin, and the rest are drat near wiped out I believe.

Minor treasure hunt spoilers Griffon seemed pretty chill from the one guy you follow for his gear, but he got betrayed and killed. Not sure about Bear.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I do really love how you get just enough comments from villagers to keep reminding you that yes, people are pretty weirded out by Witchers.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
So, in the middle of one of the Novigrad main quest chains just met up with best bud forever Vernon Roche. Does it play out differently if you went the other path in the Witcher 2? Also, anyone seen his opposite Iorveth yet. Is he going to pop up later?

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

I do really love how you get just enough comments from villagers to keep reminding you that yes, people are pretty weirded out by Witchers.

I cracked up when I rode by a random guard and he just goes "Fuuuuuck".

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

cheesetriangles posted:

Are there upgraded versions of the oils?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Weasling Weasel posted:

So, in the middle of one of the Novigrad main quest chains just met up with best bud forever Vernon Roche. Does it play out differently if you went the other path in the Witcher 2? Also, anyone seen his opposite Iorveth yet. Is he going to pop up later?

Supposedly, and if true this makes me a little mad, that choice is ignored in 3, but it might just be an overreaction to the person you mentioning not appearing in 3, or at least, not as far as anyone knows.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

On the other hand I cleared out an area and one of the villagers is now naming his son Geralt.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Weasling Weasel posted:

I think that has to do with what you did in The Witcher 2, or what you answered in this game if you simulated a save. Iorveth is probably chilling with Saskia in the Pontar Valley if you saved her.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

FuriousGeorge posted:

Unless you're grinding monsters and bandits you should just barely be level 4 upon leaving White Orchard. That's with every sidequest and point of interest explored and sapping as much XP as possible from dialogues. There are a few (inconsequential) miss-able things in White Orchard that might be worth staying a bit longer for depending on how much of a completionist itch you have:

-There's a Nekker Event outside one of the liberated cities. Seems to occur with a specific weather and time of day combination.
-A Water Hag spawns in the Drowner swamp south of the Nilfgaardian garrison. Seems to have a very high chance to drop a mutagen compared to other Hags.
-Wraith appearing at the nearby place of power randomly drops a second rare crafting material needed to craft both Viper School swords.
-Just a whole shitload of sunken treasure in the river and elsewhere.
-Two additional scavenger hunts after Viper School, worth some money and a hilariously high level crafting diagram.

Thats all of my notes, anyway. I had to play the drat thing twice since I lost my save. :(

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

theDOWmustflow posted:

I think I'm beginning to understand the ambivalence, or outright fear/hate, the general populace has towards witchers. In the typical folk tale, the handsome gallant hero emerges to right wrongs and slay beasts for honor, duty, or the people. His motivations are altruistic although he is typically rewarded with riches or titles. Unfortunately, the witcherverse has no Robin Hoods or knights in shining armor. If a troll is terrorizing the countryside, your only solace is in secretive and terrifying genetic freaks that have built a reputation out of opportunism. They'll haggle and price-gouge you, then loiter around to gently caress the womenfolk. To the peasantry, witchers must seem like a perverse mockery of the archetypal hero trope.

Yeah, if you do try and play hero in dialogues people will usually tell you (not so kindly) to mind your own fuckin' business, freak.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

TescoBag posted:

Are there upgraded versions of the oils?

Enhanced oil does 25% damage superior does 50%.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Anybody who thought or thinks that Keira wasn't just playing you the entire time doesn't really understand how sorceresses of the Lodge work.

All of them, every one I've met in the series has used Geralt in one way or the other. So, if in the end you killed Keira - pfft, one less conniving sorceress imo - probably planning something really terrible. Don't feel guilty at all. The only ones I give a poo poo about are Triss and Yen because of sentimentality. But I wouldn't feel bad if Geralt was just like, "I've had enough of this loving nonsense" and just hosed off forever leaving them to deal with their own poo poo mostly caused by their own wrong doing.

In my case I helped her out, but took the notes. I don't think Geralt is the kind of guy to be like, welp, you're screwed see ya, but he's also not the kind of guy to willingly let something so dangerous into the wild. So basically I think the "good" ending to that quest fits Geralt to a T

Edit: It's really easy based on Geralt's own experiences with shady sorceresses to see how Radovid came to the conclusion that all of them need to burn.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 22, 2015

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

What's the deal with enemies regenerating health super fast in combat, is this a glitch or something? I'm trying to kill a werewolf and about 2/3 of the way through the fight it starts regenerating health faster than I can damage the loving thing. This happened the first few times I tried to kill the botchling, too. It's really harshing my buzz here.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think that has to do with what you did in The Witcher 2, or what you answered in this game if you simulated a save. Iorveth is probably chilling with Saskia in the Pontar Valley if you saved her.

It's a little bit ambiguous, since in my understanding Upper Aedirn got folded into Redania just like the rest of Aedirn did. I don't know if you ever hear any specifics, but I would figure at best Saskia is back to leading a resistance, and in all likelihood RIP to the possibility of an actual non-poo poo nation on the continent. It was a beautiful dream but pretty much every facet of the world was arrayed against it :(

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I'm sitting on over 6k crowns because I've haggled with every client and never turned down a reward no matter how unsavory of task or circumstance. No ragrets.