Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Evil Fluffy posted:

So is the Duggar family famous for any reason other than the parents loving like rabbits and not using birth control while loudly praising Jesus in a way that ensures they'd be left behind if the Rapture happened?

No, that and TLC being a literal freak show is the only reason they're on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Evil Fluffy posted:

So is the Duggar family famous for any reason other than the parents loving like rabbits and not using birth control while loudly praising Jesus in a way that ensures they'd be left behind if the Rapture happened?

Not really? Reality show people get 'famous' for the same reason youtube people get 'famous'. They have a personality or gimmick that people find entertaining for whatever reason. There are plenty of non-traditionally famous people these days who do nothing of real merit. These ones are just huge shitheads on top of all that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Malmesbury Monster posted:

Feeling out the responses of my Christian relatives, I've been finding a surprising amount of nonchalance because multiple people I've interacted with have said they knew of situations like this within their own church where similar action (or lack of action) was taken. In the best case scenario, that looked like professional counseling, but authorities were never notified for fear of CPS. I have to wonder whether this is just a lot more common than people think or if insular Christian communities are just really hosed up sexually (it's probably this one).

That sounds familiar to what I've encountered. There is an exceptionally overblown fear of the CPS by conservative Christians (the truth is the agency is near toothless because it is so constrained) so there is strong resistance to going to the cops and handling it "in house". As a result you get poo poo like this, or boarding school abuse, or Catholic Church abuse, or predators in black churches, and all sorts of other poo poo.

Meanwhile the same voices telling them to cover up documented abuse because of scary scary CPS are telling them gays can't be scoutmasters because of imaginary abuse.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Radbot posted:

I think that'd include the people who talk about how Duggar was likely raped himself (with no evidence of that being the case) as some sort of exculpatory event.

Fair enough - going back through the thread I missed those comments. Even if the comments weren't speculative, past trauma is in no way an excuse for abusing little girls.

EDIT: what's really eye-opening about the reaction to this is seeing how many people are totally fine with the idea of "church" essentially replacing the role of the state in making sure assaults like these are addressed and corrective action taken. I mean I know the term "American Taliban" gets thrown around a lot but man, this situation really highlights it. They really do want a theocracy.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 22, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Duggar family is "famous" not just because they gently caress like rabbits, but specifically because their loving like rabbits is a matter of doctrine/dogma if I'm not mistaken.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah especially in that community, they don't trust the government, and prefer to handle things within the church. Same thing happened with those Mormons who were led by a child molester for years. Their community was very isolated and disconnected from the outside. It can border on cultish activity.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Duggar family is "famous" not just because they gently caress like rabbits, but specifically because their loving like rabbits is a matter of doctrine/dogma if I'm not mistaken.

Yup. They're Quiverfulls, which to my recollection is this tiny-rear end little subset of Christians who take that "be fruitful and multiply" thing Jesus said literally (of course while ignoring all the other poo poo Jesus said).

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

They are famous because some idiots gave them a show.

And now also for molestation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Correct, they believe that they must continue having kids. It's called the 'quiverful' movement

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Would they be able to afford their family without the show? Like did Papa Duggar have a lot of money going in or is TLC subsidizing their 19 kids?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Radish posted:

Would they be able to afford their family without the show? Like did Papa Duggar have a lot of money going in or is TLC subsidizing their 19 kids?

No, they have long subsisted off of donations from fellow christian nutjobs and abusing tax laws.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Correct, they believe that they must continue having kids. It's called the 'quiverful' movement

So one could argue these molestation charges are simply following the faith.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Radish posted:

They get money from outside the show, such as donations from affluent conservatives to make it look like they can survive without government handouts.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Thanks guys. If SA are some of the most progressive leftists in the country, I can wholeheartedly say that our odds of getting rehabilitative and restorative criminal justice in the US are hosed.

*doesn't read the thread*

*posts pissy one liner about how much better you are than everyone who is surely advocating for harsh punishments for people, despite not reading the discussion*

*leaves thread*

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

My mom watches that stupid show and told me they own a bunch of car dealerships. If they live out in the sticks like proper crazy religious ascetics that would probably keep them afloat. Has the donation thing been documented?

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alter Ego posted:

Rick Santorum looks like a guy who wants to give me a pamphlet about the Watchtower, and Scott Walker just looks eternally stoned.

Scott Walker looks too stupid to not get mugged trying to buy weed so stoned can't be the look on his face.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zombie Samurai posted:

My mom watches that stupid show and told me they own a bunch of car dealerships. If they live out in the sticks like proper crazy religious ascetics that would probably keep them afloat. Has the donation thing been documented?

Financing cars at "good" rates to your fellow churchcult members is probably a good business, yeah.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Specifically, the quiverfulls want to have a ton of kids raised in an extremely strict fundamentalist lifestyle so that in a few generations they can reclaim the country/world by having enough to win elections and can then legislate gods law on earth.

See also the Joshua Movement or Benedict Option. Also, read up on inner and outer doctrines to really understand things.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

How much Duggar could Josh Duggar diddle if Josh Duggar diddled Duggars?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Alter Ego posted:

Yup. They're Quiverfulls, which to my recollection is this tiny-rear end little subset of Christians who take that "be fruitful and multiply" thing Jesus said literally (of course while ignoring all the other poo poo Jesus said).

I thought that was an Old Testament God line, which is why some orthodox jewish families have 3+ kids.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Specifically, the quiverfulls want to have a ton of kids raised in an extremely strict fundamentalist lifestyle so that in a few generations they can reclaim the country/world by having enough to win elections and can then legislate gods law on earth.

See also the Joshua Movement or Benedict Option. Also, read up on inner and outer doctrines to really understand things.

Measles and whooping cough will save us all from such a horrid fate.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Evil Fluffy posted:

The dad is a state legislator or something.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lord Girlyman posted:

How much Duggar could Josh Duggar diddle if diddler Josh Duggar diddled Duggars?

It needed one more in there.

McDowell posted:

I thought that was an Old Testament God line, which is why some orthodox jewish families have 3+ kids.

It's in Genesis.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This is quite possibly the most idiotic thing written about politics this year so far.

A taste:

quote:

[Peter] Ackerman has launched a campaign dubbed Change the Rule to address one piece of this puzzle of American political dysfunction. The rule in question is imposed by the Commission on Presidential Debates, which the two major parties created in 1987 to administer the televised debates that are the nexus of modern presidential campaigns. Ackerman argues that this rule, as currently applied, prevents the emergence of an independent candidate who might empower the underrepresented middle.

You might remember Ackerman as the hedge funder who started Americans Elect last cycle to draft Mike Bloomberg.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Has there been any sort of backlash against Pearson Education since that Last Week Tonight skit?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Has there been any sort of backlash against Pearson Education since that Last Week Tonight skit?

Doubtful it has to do with Oliver, but Texas is dropping Pearson.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Josh Duggar police report is out.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Straight up they have lots of kids to counter the large minority birth rate. Simple as that.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Why is that wax statue holding a gun?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Joementum posted:

This is quite possibly the most idiotic thing written about politics this year so far.

A taste:

You might remember Ackerman as the hedge funder who started Americans Elect last cycle to draft Mike Bloomberg.

Hm yes, I remember when the problem for passing legislation was that Democrats were too left-wing. If they'd just move to the center then clearly we'd be able to enjoy plenty of reasonable bills like repealing the ACA, defunding the EPA, and "gently caress Obama"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
That said, I support Change the Rule because Presidential debates are stupid and anything to make them more entertaining is good.

Go ahead and put the Libertarian, Green, and Constitution parties up on that stage so we can have an argument about whether Jesus would support abolishing the FDA in favor of homeopathy. :munch:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sadly, this isn't right before Jindal was heard saying "I'm Bobby Jindal, and this is the Kurt Cobain".

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Where's the post processing guys to lighten this up? I thought Jindal had them work on every photo.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

So apparently the only reason why the police report came out to begin with is a church patron found a letter in one of the books the Duggar's donated/used and forwarded it to police. Oprah's production studio also received a fax about it and also forwarded it to police.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

That said, I support Change the Rule because Presidential debates are stupid and anything to make them more entertaining is good.

Go ahead and put the Libertarian, Green, and Constitution parties up on that stage so we can have an argument about whether Jesus would support abolishing the FDA in favor of homeopathy. :munch:

I support this only if:

1. There's a debate in California so the Peace and Freedom Party is on stage
2. Roseanne Barr runs for president on the PFP ticket again

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I lived like 10 miles from the Duggar training compound/reproduction and manufacturing center for ~2 years and that area is a loving shithole

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

report? i don't see a report. what report are you referring to?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Party Plane Jones posted:

So apparently the only reason why the police report came out to begin with is a church patron found a letter in one of the books the Duggar's donated/used and forwarded it to police.

We probably don't really want to know what was in that letter, do we? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mdemone posted:

We probably don't really want to know what was in that letter, do we? :gonk:
Its actually not the worst thing in the world. TLDR multiple instances of fondling (mostly while the girls were asleep which is just Creepy As gently caress) no penetration. That's not to say there wasn't more, but that's what was reported.

• Locked thread