Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Inglourious Basterds on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've never seen Chinatown before and I decided to fix that tonight.

Man that got weird fast.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ex Machina is very loving good.

Yea I had to read it for a sci fi lit class that I'm taking now. I don't know much about Atwood. Oryx and Crake is very good. Good enough that I would read her other poo poo.

Read handmaids tale. It's the future in some sort of post apocalypse where the religious right rises to power.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Mike-O that's super lovely dude, sorry.

I've seen ads for Veterans support groups in the U.S., and I hope anyone who needs help is taking advantage of it and not thinking that "I'll man up and deal with it" because mental health doesn't work that way. I know that's the attitude that armed services tries to push, to deal with it or worse to self-medicate and never talk about it, but that poo poo can suck my dick from the back. Some poo poo you can't "get over".

My government just tries to push vet suicides under the rug while doing the SUPPORT ARE TROOPS thing and it makes me apoplectic with rage.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Fister Roboto posted:

I've never seen Chinatown before and I decided to fix that tonight.

Man that got weird fast.

This guy

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Mike-o posted:

jesus loving christ, i decide to jump on facebook to see what my old iraq buddies are up to after like 3 months of not using it. i see a god drat cross with a good friend of mine's name on it. fuuuuuuuucccccckkkkk gently caress everything. loving suck my loving dick this loving gay rear end world. loving killed himself and he wasn't even living far from me. god fuckign drat it i'm gonna get loving wasted tonight, gently caress everything. why the gently caress do people do this poo poo. why the gently caress do all us sadbrains fucks keep ventilating our skulls? god drat it i loving hate this lovely rear end world, gently caress you!

:( sorry bro

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Two Finger posted:

Yes absolutely and she seems to be very much on the money.

Spoiler that. That's the ending dude.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Cole read Alas Babylon, it's gonna fit the bill and the racism and sexism is peak
50's.

It's also Florida as gently caress and takes place in your home state after it (thankfully) gets nuked in WW3 war that's early ICBM era, so more bombers than missiles.

Just trust me, amazing loving book- and you'll thank me later.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Cole read Alas Babylon, it's gonna fit the bill and the racism and sexism is peak
50's.

It's also Florida as gently caress and takes place in your home state after it (thankfully) gets nuked in WW3 war that's early ICBM era, so more bombers than missiles.

Just trust me, amazing loving book- and you'll thank me later.

I agree. Alas Babylon is terrific.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
read atlas shrugged unironically

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also:

Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven teamed up for the two best collaborative books of the hard sci fi genre.. Lucifers Hammer (Comet hitting earth, Apollo era) and The Mote In Gods Eye (2nd human empire era, THE definitive "first contact" novel. It's got Langston fields and Alderson drives and what not if your familiar with the genre)

Once you read their collaborations go read Jerry Pournelles "A step further out" which was written mid 70's as a series of Columns and short stories kind of a realistic speculative scifi rebuttal to the gloom and doom apocalypse view of sci fi.

Then go read the D&D climate change thread and the SAL space flight thread and the TFR Airpower/Coldwar thread... THEN go read Red Hammer 1994, and Arc Light.

Finally: Jerry Pournelle did Another Step Further and it's pretty great.

I like to balance my dystopian future fiction with high technology and ideals future fiction. :)

Oh.. Go read "Ignition!" And "Chasing the green flame" for non fiction readable histories of liquid rocketry and boron zip fuel research respectively. Great stuff.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Lucifer's Hammer is very good. God In Mote's Eye unravels quickly in the last quarter of the book.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Red Shirts : Where are my pants???

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm04PhjAmYw

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Man seriously, like I said in the hangout chat last night if you have some buddies you haven't talked to in a long time loving give them a call, message them on Facebook. Whatever works, but for fucks sake get in touch. Most of my buddies that died were directly from the war, or freak accidents and poo poo like that afterwards. I guess I didn't ever think a good friend of mine would off himself, I'm still in disbelief about it :(

Not trying to be a downer right after a titty post. Send your buddies some titty pics and ask how they've been.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

That titty pic was just for you anyway. Take care buddy.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Watched Ex Machina at this threads suggestion, movie did not disappoint. Also :quagmire:.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ex Machina and Blade Runner are a perfect double feature.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Carteret posted:

Holly, I go to Raleigh regularly (even tho it's like 2.5 hrs away)

There is a whole Raleigh thread if you want to ask specific housing advice, but If you have questions about NC we can sort it out between the three of us.

Icon, There is a chance I'll be saying gently caress it and going to UNCW in the spring. Talk me off this ledge. It's either UNCW or ECU, and I might actually want to get a degree instead of wasting my time at East Carolina.

You should absolutely go to UNCW-the girls there are loving amazing and there's a ton of them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

read atlas shrugged unironically

yeah do this and let me know if you manage to finish it. i've been trying for months and i can't read more than a page or so at a time.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

nwin posted:

You should absolutely go to UNCW-the girls there are loving amazing and there's a ton of them.

Southern-universities.txt

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:sherman:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Two Finger posted:

yeah do this and let me know if you manage to finish it. i've been trying for months and i can't read more than a page or so at a time.

I'm glad I read Fountainhead first so I could say firsthand that Rand is a terrible writer with terrible opinions but I only wasted the time to read 600 pages instead of 1200.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Ex Machina and Blade Runner are a perfect double feature.

Ex Machina original, limited director's cut, director's cut or definitive director's cut?

Two Finger posted:

Really. If you can finish it unironically, take the number of pages you could read at one sitting and go to that page in the DSM-4. That's your diagnosis.

Or you could start with Anthem, which is short and less relentlessly preachy.
Or you could just read the original

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I unironically read and liked We The Living.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ugh

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Make this the GIP background for the weekend please.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm glad I read Fountainhead first so I could say firsthand that Rand is a terrible writer with terrible opinions but I only wasted the time to read 600 pages instead of 1200.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Fister Roboto posted:

Hover text: What do we care? We're assholes!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Stultus Maximus posted:

I read Anthem for AP English in high school. It wasn't terrible.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Anthem is alright, the rest of it is absolute garbage. I bought into it for a while as a teenager, which both continues to embarrass me, and makes me hate any adult who thinks any of it is worthwhile.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It's coming

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

that's something i can get behind

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Fister Roboto posted:

I posted this on my FB last veterans' day and apparently enough people got butthurt and reported it that it got deleted.

Mission: accomplished. :911:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I love living next door to pho.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

I love living next door to pho.

Go hit up ramen nakamura on kalakaua between Sarasota and beach walk. It's byob. It's one of the biggest things I miss about Hawaii.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

o7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I can't wait for my old XPO that made it 17 years only to get kicked out for an alcohol incident where he got into a fight with the FS3 on his boat and punched him while drunk, to post on facebook about supporting our troops and poo poo for memorial day. He now works as a tow truck driver and is ridiculously proud of it. Apparently while law enforcement has the 'thin blue line', tow truck drivers have the 'thin yellow line'.

• Locked thread