Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Why are you defending these monsters?

I know this is a joke post, but a serious response is that regarding persons as monsters is unhelpful in the extreme. We applaud changes in the way police handle drug cases when they move from punitive to rehabilitative measures; so too should we consider the efficacy of gravitating away from punishing the "bad apples" to addressing the variables that underlie police behavior, up to and including SOP at local precincts. If the cop in Wisconsin hadn't gone in first and alone in the recent killing in Wisconsin, the likelihood of a firearm discharge and subsequent death would have been radically shrunk. That hypothetical is based directly on the words of the AG in his press conference decision not to seek charges, as well as the say-so of the officer in question, who based his decision on fear of the suspect knocking him unconscious and stealing his firearm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
People on Facebook are saying that some students at my school are gonna go to the officer's house and make a human chain around it and poo poo to protest the shooting. Other people are saying THIS ISN'T WHAT BLACK PEOPLE WANT WHITE PEOPLE TO DO FOR THEM. Personally I think this is more about "cops shot a guy for stealing" than race in this case, but maybe I'm just an idiot?

e: If I am actually missing the point here please let me know, I tend to think small-picture sometimes and miss the bigger point.

Dusty Baker 2 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 22, 2015

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I think it's pretty amazing that those people think 1.) that the assault was for throwing beer bottles and 2.) the suspects died and 3.) this altercation was about stealing beer, when they could have read the whole 500 word article posted right in this thread and found out that all that stuff is wrong. Triple lol because a couple people ITT apparantly were literal eye-witnesses to this :laffo:. And yet here we are, celebrating protests for some poo poo that surveilance footage, testimony and evidence is going to prove completely wrong in a few months, yet again. It's like clockwork, like some sort phases of the idiot version of the moon.

Looks like the surveillance footage already proves your number 1 wrong, at least according to the news about its release.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

People on Facebook are saying that some students at my school are gonna go to the officer's house and make a human chain around it and poo poo to protest the shooting. Other people are saying THIS ISN'T WHAT BLACK PEOPLE WANT WHITE PEOPLE TO DO FOR THEM. Personally I think this is more about "cops shot a guy for stealing" than race in this case, but maybe I'm just an idiot?

e: If I am actually missing the point here please let me know, I tend to think small-picture sometimes and miss the bigger point.

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

loving greeners, dude.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I think it's pretty amazing that those people think 1.) that the assault was for throwing beer bottles and 2.) the suspects died and 3.) this altercation was about stealing beer, when they could have read the whole 500 word article posted right in this thread and found out that all that stuff is wrong. Triple lol because a couple people ITT apparantly were literal eye-witnesses to this :laffo:. And yet here we are, celebrating protests for some poo poo that surveilance footage, testimony and evidence is going to prove completely wrong in a few months, yet again. It's like clockwork, like some sort phases of the idiot version of the moon.

I don't see what thrown beer has to do with the shooting. They happened at different time in different places.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Video of the "Assault"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

poo poo like this is why nobody takes these people seriously. Fuckin' upper-middle class children desperately seeking some kind of authentic proletarian experience because their entire lives have been a meaningless glide from the womb to a mid-level corporate vice-presidency.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

It's not like a cop will think "that guy is black, therefore I will shoot him!" It's a combination of things like the cop more likely to think they're a criminal, more afraid for their safety because they assume the guy is more violent, etc. Someone posted a video earlier of two guys open carrying a rifle, one white and one black. The white guy got a talking to by a lone cop, the black guy had a cop draw his gun and point it at him while he called in for a shitload of backup.

It's like climate change, where you can't say "this weather event today was caused by climate change" 100% for sure, but a changing pattern of weather over time lets you know it's happening.

And then sometimes a hurricane calls a black guy a racial slur then breaks into his house and shoots him to death.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Lemming posted:

And then sometimes a hurricane calls a black guy a racial slur then breaks into his house and shoots him to death.
RIP Lower Ninth Ward.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

poo poo like this is why nobody takes these people seriously. Fuckin' upper-middle class children desperately seeking some kind of authentic proletarian experience because their entire lives have been a meaningless glide from the womb to a mid-level corporate vice-presidency.

They should act like sophisticated adults, sigh smugly snd sadly, and say "this is what happens when you integrate races that can't get along"

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Sure, they aren't great but they aren't really doing any harm. Bitching about them takes the focus off of abuse by police and the justice system which, to me, is a much bigger problem. They are just an easy target that people like to bring up as a deflection.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I like how if black people protest, they're race-baiting, and if white people protest they're inauthentic

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I like how if black people protest, they're race-baiting, and if white people protest they're inauthentic

If those kids wanted to protest, they should have been pro-police, duh.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I'd be more willing to listen to them if they had tri-corn hats and Confederate flags. Also if they were really old.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

VitalSigns posted:

So it goes...

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

They should act like sophisticated adults, sigh smugly snd sadly, and say "this is what happens when you integrate races that can't get along"
They go to Evergreen. They should fuckin' ask around because someone in that bongo circle has a congressman's home phone number and that might help the oppressed more than getting arrested for trespassing and then not being punished due to whiteness.

Spun Dog posted:

Sure, they aren't great but they aren't really doing any harm. Bitching about them takes the focus off of abuse by police and the justice system which, to me, is a much bigger problem. They are just an easy target that people like to bring up as a deflection.
I feel perfectly capable of hating cops and baby yuppies at the same time.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
I think a lot of posters ITT misunderstand the demographic at my school. It's basically if Tumblr were a university. It is the most liberal campus in the nation, and the students here are the strawman arguments conservatives like to use. I'm pretty far-left and I think these kids go too far. They were organizing a protest as soon as they heard it was two black guys who got shot, before any information surrounding the situation came out. They also got Jewish foods banned from our food bank because gently caress Israel. Not Israeli foods, mind you, but anything Jewish.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I feel perfectly capable of hating cops and baby yuppies at the same time.
See I would totally oppose police brutality, but gosh some of the people who oppose it are vaguely annoying, so I guess I'll reluctantly support the random beatings and murders of unarmed black people. Thanks a lot, annoying white yuppies.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

They go to Evergreen. They should fuckin' ask around because someone in that bongo circle has a congressman's home phone number and that might help the oppressed more than getting arrested for trespassing and then not being punished due to whiteness.

Did you know that white college kids have a magic wand to end police brutality, but they're conspiring to keep it secret so they can get famous by protesting? It's true!

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

I think a lot of posters ITT misunderstand the demographic at my school. It's basically if Tumblr were a university. It is the most liberal campus in the nation, and the students here are the strawman arguments conservatives like to use. I'm pretty far-left and I think these kids go too far. They were organizing a protest as soon as they heard it was two black guys who got shot, before any information surrounding the situation came out. They also got Jewish foods banned from our food bank because gently caress Israel. Not Israeli foods, mind you, but anything Jewish.

What did you do wrong to up there?

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Lemming posted:

It's not like a cop will think "that guy is black, therefore I will shoot him!" It's a combination of things like the cop more likely to think they're a criminal, more afraid for their safety because they assume the guy is more violent, etc. Someone posted a video earlier of two guys open carrying a rifle, one white and one black. The white guy got a talking to by a lone cop, the black guy had a cop draw his gun and point it at him while he called in for a shitload of backup.

It's like climate change, where you can't say "this weather event today was caused by climate change" 100% for sure, but a changing pattern of weather over time lets you know it's happening.

Cops shoot more males then females. You are 10 times more likely to go to jail if you are a dude then if you are a chick.
You are more likely to be handcuffed, if your a guy. In a domestic dispute, it's the male that gets hauled off.
Bottom line is, cops are more likely to treat you like a criminal if you are male.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dahn posted:

Cops shoot more males then females. You are 10 times more likely to go to jail if you are a dude then if you are a chick.
You are more likely to be handcuffed, if your a guy. In a domestic dispute, it's the male that gets hauled off.
Bottom line is, cops are more likely to treat you like a criminal if you are male.

What do you conclude from this observation?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I'm not sure why you use the quotation marks. That was a battery, assault without GBI, and a robbery (maybe attempt). None of that would justify shooting, which of course doesn't matter because what the dude did 20 minutes before can't justify him being shot.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

See I would totally oppose police brutality, but gosh some of the people who oppose it are vaguely annoying, so I guess I'll reluctantly support the random beatings and murders of unarmed black people. Thanks a lot, annoying white yuppies.
Oh god you totally outed me. I have an unquenchable thirst for black blood.

VitalSigns posted:

Did you know that white college kids have a magic wand to end police brutality, but they're conspiring to keep it secret so they can get famous by protesting? It's true!
Rich white people have absolutely no social capital and the only way the oppressed country clubbers of America can express their views is through harking back to 90's movies about the 60's and writing protest ballads. This will be proven when after the human chain all these downtrodden children of IT executives are viciously beaten and then charged with assault for bleeding on the cops.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Okay so wealthy white people have the power to change our institutions, and they should.

But if any of them actually try to speak up and advocate it, you'll complain that they're sheltered children who should be quiet and respect the people in charge. Hm.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Dum Cumpster posted:

The judge said it was that or prison after they caught me shitposting :/

(real answer: My grades were poo poo and it was the only school that would give me a second chance)

VitalSigns posted:

Okay so wealthy white people have the power to change our institutions, and they should.

But if any of them actually try to speak up and advocate it, you'll complain that they're sheltered children who should be quiet and respect the people in charge. Hm.

We actually had people protesting/holding signs on campus this week because the campus services guys were testing the sprinklers and they were mad that we were "wasting water during a drought". They made signs within the hour or so it took them to test the sprinklers. Like I said, very reactionary.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah, if those kids wanted the respect that professional protesters get, they should have gone to college first!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Exactly. They should leverage their significant social and financial resources to change our institutions for the better. I'm glad we're on the same page VitalSigns.

Edit: Both literally and figuratively.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't get why you're mad that they're doing just that, then.

Are you surprised that college kids don't actually control most of their parents' wealth and political power because they haven't succeeded their parents yet? It's not like if you go home and kill your congressman dad that you inherit his position by right of combat and can start cracking down on police procedures.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Exactly. They should leverage their significant social and financial resources to change our institutions for the better. I'm glad we're on the same page VitalSigns.

Edit: Both literally and figuratively.

Exactly how do you propose they more effectively do so than by protesting? Oh that's right, call up the (lone) congressman they apparently know by being *rich kids* and magically reform police that way. Because if a few white people called their congressman, police reform would just automatically happen.

Critique their protest planning by all means, but it is a fantasy that somehow they could do something more effective than protest in the meantime.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Evergreen's actually a pretty good school, it just happens to have a lot of hippies, some are fine, some are very annoying. We also get a lot of trustafarians from the east coast, and a segment of the student body tries to be edgy and sometimes does dumb poo poo like this: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/evergreen-state-college-divided-after-riot/

I do think that picketing the officer's house is loving terrible tactics, especially this early in the process. There are a lot of well meaning, but poorly lead activists at Evergreen.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

ATP_Power posted:

Evergreen's actually a pretty good school, it just happens to have a lot of hippies, some are fine, some are very annoying. We also get a lot of trustafarians from the east coast, and a segment of the student body tries to be edgy and sometimes does dumb poo poo like this: http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/evergreen-state-college-divided-after-riot/

I do think that picketing the officer's house is loving terrible tactics, especially this early in the process. There are a lot of well meaning, but poorly lead activists at Evergreen.

Pretty much. Also hello fellow greener.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

(Freddie Gray) I have been looking around, has the "rough ride" in Baltimore been confirmed? The police union won't admit it and the family is accusing the police of it, reporters have described what it is, but has anyone confirmed via images/reports/witnesses that it did indeed happen?

The media is acting like the main problem is that police didn't help him when he said he was hurt, instead of that that they loaded him into a van on his stomach on the floor and tied up his legs and hands and then drove around causing him to smash into the walls for forty five minutes on purpose. How can the police union claim that the indictments were politically motivated if this is what happened? It either happened or it didn't.

Umph fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 22, 2015

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Evergreen is one of the more affordable 4 year colleges in the state. I'm not sure your stereotypes are going to stand up to the truth.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Evergreen is one of the more affordable 4 year colleges in the state. I'm not sure your stereotypes are going to stand up to the truth.

At least 40 percent of the student body is below the poverty line.

http://www.evergreen.edu/institutionalresearch/pdf/enrollment/trends/poverty01-14.pdf

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Please stop trying to correct my uninformed preconceptions and make me abandon lazy stereotypes.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

I think a lot of posters ITT misunderstand the demographic at my school. It's basically if Tumblr were a university.

Basically every Uni.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

And we have people in this thread furious constructing strawmen and bravely knocking them down.

Unironically

Are you loving serious? Not even half way up the page:

Toasticle posted:

Who gives a gently caress if heavily armed guys rob a bank. They didn't take hostages, they were trying to get away but since they were stealing the physical form of our god, dollar bills, they need to die because god forbid they get away with that FDIC insured money. They continued the shootout in a loving neighborhood. Yeah they shot first so back off since they were so heavily armored that service pistols weren't going to do poo poo. No, better just start spraying bullets everywhere and risk getting themselves killed because holy poo poo the money!

If there are hostages yes call SWAT. If the fear is someone might steal some loving money or flush their ounce of weed down the toilet before the cops can break down the door and flashbang a crib then people need to get their loving heads examined. Its just money. The idea of starting a shootout that bleeds into a neighborhood because they might get away with that money is deranged. The only reason a potential death level of force should be used is if someones life is in danger, the idea that we've reached a point where the thought of someone getting away (Detectives? What are they for again?) for stealing money or a TV or some beer so we need to shoot them before they can escape is completely loving revolting.

We value human life above all else unless someone steals some easily replaceable and most likely insured stuff. Then they need to die if there's a chance they might have to do something hard like investigate and try to find them after they got away! Just blow em away when you get the chance.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

nm posted:

I'm not sure why you use the quotation marks. That was a battery, assault without GBI, and a robbery (maybe attempt).

Do you live in California?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Toshimo posted:

Basically every Uni.

Far, far more extreme. I got kicked out of the bike shop for being a straight white man about a month ago, since it was a "safe space" night or something. So I just didn't get to fix my bike.

e: https://colleges.niche.com/rankings/most-liberal-colleges/

Dusty Baker 2 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fosborb posted:

Do you live in California?

Yes?

• Locked thread