Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fooley posted:

Speaking of, what's the series where the two dudes had a makeup face off?

Kabuto, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fooley posted:

Kabuto! It was the Drake introduction and it was fabulous!

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
all this talk about the issues with Ninninger makes me keep forgetting to talk about how good Drive is right now.

So good.

Though it seems that neither Mach or Chase is getting a 'final' suit upgrade, since it's about time for the last Drive Type to appear. I guess Kamen Rider Chaser was effectively the final power up for the secondary Rider as a Tertiary Rider.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Fooley posted:

Serperoth posted:

Kabuto, I think.

Yeah, it was Kabuto.

I'm on board with a fashion Rider. We already had a jewelry Rider and a dancing Rider, let's continue the "Rider themes that aren't aggressively masculine" train. I am genuinely curious how one designs a rider system around fashion, though. Weaponized accessories that transform into armor forms? Some kind of silhouette or photoshoot gimmick? I guess it could be Gaim style where the rider system is one thing, and he's just a fashionista in his day job.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

Watching Takaharu makes me miss BoukenRed. Why can't we have a Red Ranger like him again?
Takaharu's name is way too close to Takeru, the greatest Red of all time from a pure writing standpoint.

Not even TV-Nihon subs could ruin his character arc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Takaharu's name is way too close to Takeru, the greatest Red of all time from a pure writing standpoint..

But that isn't how you spell Kyosuke Jinnai at all?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ImpAtom posted:

But that isn't how you spell Kyosuke Jinnai at all?

Let me try.

M...A...R...V...E...L...O...U....S...

Something still seems off.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Let me try.

M...A...R...V...E...L...O...U....S...

Something still seems off.

Most sentai could be improved if Marvelous or Nobuo were reds in their series

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
A fashion rider series without Oren feels weird somehow. If that guy from Gaim who ran Drupers could be in two seperate Rider series before hand, I'm sure they can bring back Metal Yoshida.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Stallion Cabana posted:

Though it seems that neither Mach or Chase is getting a 'final' suit upgrade, since it's about time for the last Drive Type to appear. I guess Kamen Rider Chaser was effectively the final power up for the secondary Rider as a Tertiary Rider.

I was going to say maybe Mach will get one when he comes back from working with the Roidmudes, but I guess if Mach did have another suit upgrade then we would have seen pictures of it by now, so I suppose Dead Heat is going to be the only upgrade Mach gets.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Drive toy stuff, spoilered just in case:

The latest toy catalog shows a doodad that unlocks a Super Dead Heat mode so it looks like Mach is getting another upgrade form after all. It's listed with the other movie toy so it could just be a movie thing though.

That link also has a picture of Type Tridoron.

Geddy Krueger fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 21, 2015

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Geddy Krueger posted:

The latest toy catalog shows a doodad that unlocks a Super Dead Heat mode so it looks like Mach is getting another upgrade form after all. It's listed with the other movie toy so it could just be a movie thing though.

it is also listed next to Type; Tridoron though, so maybe it is for the show. Hard to say. I know Drive is getting a new Movie Type as well, so it's difficulty to know.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Potsticker posted:

Kabuto! It was the Drake introduction and it was fabulous!

God drat right it is...I might need to watch it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e5N15dCdvQ

I hope Fashion Rider is like this times 100.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Geddy Krueger posted:

That link also has a picture of Type Tridoron.

It's not for Mach. The text apparently says "Chou (Super) Deadheat Drive". Shinnosuke will use the Tridoron Key and the Mach Driver Honoo to become Super Deadheat Drive in the movie, apparently, and will also obtain Type Special using the Type Next/Type Special Shift Car.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Reading One-Punch Man has got me back into toku after a very long time, so I've finally watched the last few episodes of Metalder I had left. Metalder is really fun! It tricks you: you don't feel it's anything special until the episode throws a curveball at you with a bizarrely charming, heartwarming scene or a strangely badass action setpiece. Better than that, every episode is good and has its own charm.

That makes the third toku series I've finished based on recommendations from this thread, after Kamen Rider Black and Bioman. Haven't regretted investing time on none of those; all of them are very enthusiastic about the whole hero thing and serve as an excellent cathartic release in the end of the day.

Thinking about starting Kamen Rider OOO next, since apparently it's considered great and the gimmick is interesting. I've also started on 3 or 4 episodes of V3, and it's been good, but I've been meaning to try a newer, post-1995 series, which I've never done.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyphoderus posted:

Reading One-Punch Man has got me back into toku after a very long time, so I've finally watched the last few episodes of Metalder I had left. Metalder is really fun! It tricks you: you don't feel it's anything special until the episode throws a curveball at you with a bizarrely charming, heartwarming scene or a strangely badass action setpiece. Better than that, every episode is good and has its own charm.

That makes the third toku series I've finished based on recommendations from this thread, after Kamen Rider Black and Bioman. Haven't regretted investing time on none of those; all of them are very enthusiastic about the whole hero thing and serve as an excellent cathartic release in the end of the day.

Thinking about starting Kamen Rider OOO next, since apparently it's considered great and the gimmick is interesting. I've also started on 3 or 4 episodes of V3, and it's been good, but I've been meaning to try a newer, post-1995 series, which I've never done.

Oh my I realized I'm one who suggested all of those shows to you.

Uh, I'm very happy they worked out!

If you want something a bit darker, Kuuga or Ultraman Nexus are pretty great. Nexus in particular is just a fantastic piece of tokustatsu, regardless of franchise.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't forget to watch Double.

Geddy Krueger posted:

Drive toy stuff

To add to the Declassified Document, I was not expecting one of Drive's helmets to look that slick.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Double is really goddamn fun.

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003

Cyphoderus posted:

OOO was my intro to rider and it's what got me to start watching more toku in general. There's some slow bits, but I think it's really solid.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd say OOO is my favorite non-Gaim Kamen Rider, though to be fair, I haven't actually seen that many.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Since Decade, almost ever Kamen Rider series has been pretty good. Except Wizard, which was just a steaming load of nothing happening.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Since Decade, almost ever Kamen Rider series has been pretty good. Except Wizard, which was just a steaming load of nothing happening.

What's Wizard? They skipped a year between Fourze and Gaim, I'm almost sure.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Ask Me For Warez posted:

It did have the best looking super mode since Kiva.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Silver95280 posted:

It did have the best looking super mode since Kiva.

Wizard also had a really good "turn into super mode for the first time" scene, although Double's was kinda similar and also paid off better.

God dammit, Wizard, how did you gently caress up "real life sorceror Soma Haruto lives in an antique store and solves magic problems"? He could have been Japanese Dresden Files :negative:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

deadly_pudding posted:

God dammit, Wizard, how did you gently caress up "real life sorceror Soma Haruto lives in an antique store and solves magic problems"? He could have been Japanese Dresden Files :negative:

Every supernatural mystery would have to end with a rubber suit monster fight, though. Too formula for stuff like that.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

Burkion posted:

Oh my I realized I'm one who suggested all of those shows to you.

Uh, I'm very happy they worked out!

If you want something a bit darker, Kuuga or Ultraman Nexus are pretty great. Nexus in particular is just a fantastic piece of tokustatsu, regardless of franchise.

Thank you, then! I looked into toku solely for the nostalgia value at first, but it turns out to be shamelessly fun.

I was going to talk about how I never could get into newer toku because they lack some unexplainable thing that old toku does, but after binging through a few episodes of OOO it has won me over with the homeless hippie protagonist, cake boss and the delightfully gimmicky suit gimmick :allears:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cyphoderus posted:

delightfully gimmicky suit gimmick :allears:

The currently-airing car-themed Rider is a police detective who leads a fleet of intelligent hot wheels toys that drive around on magical flying snap-together plastic roads.

It's a gimmicky-rear end-gimmick and also fantastic.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Wow, they sure are pushing this toy cars thing pretty loving hard"

*twenty episodes later*

"I need Deco Traveler in my life." :shepspends:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

T.G. Xarbala posted:

"Wow, they sure are pushing this toy cars thing pretty loving hard"

*twenty episodes later*

"I need Deco Traveler in my life." :shepspends:

I'd be more into the Shift Cars if they were like... better? Like, more matchbox/hotwheels build quality. That said, Deco Traveler is amazing because he's just Speedwagon in tiny car form.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I've just finished episodes 21-22 of OOO. They're about a grasshopper-themed monster beating up on bad guys. Themes discussed include the pursuit of justice through violence and the merits of the ideal to "save the world". There's also a kid being saved.

There's an episode guide earlier on in the thread that recommends skipping those but hell if they aren't some excellent episodes of Kamen Rider riffing on Kamen Rider.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Was Juspion ever subbed? I kinda wanna check it out

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rei_ posted:

Was Juspion ever subbed? I kinda wanna check it out

It is currently being subbed actually. Look up Mega Beast Empire, they're roughly over half way done

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
:ghost:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To elaborate, apparently the next series after Drive is going to be called Kamen Rider Ghost, that's all we know right now.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 25, 2015

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Can't wait for the inevitable Rider Ghost / Ghost Writer crossover fanart

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Stay safe Rider Ghost

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RIP Fashion Rider

You'll be fondly remembered along with Artist Rider (Wizard) and Cowboy Rider. (Fourze)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Not to worry, that rumor is like Kenny. It'll just get brought back in time for the next show.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Randomly the other day I remembered the episode of Simpsons where Homer starts working out and notices the gym, pronouncing it as "Gaim." Sadly it does not seem as if anyone has taken Homer asking "What's a Gaim?" and put a clip of Kamen Rider Gaim afterwards, then Homer saying "Oh, a Gaim."

I feel this is a missed opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So what anniversary would Ghost be celebrating? I think it's like a year early to be the 45th anniversary, unless you're counting it airing into next year as year 45.

• Locked thread