Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Jeoh posted:

Isn't creating a user a thing you do pretty regularly and worth scripting?

Yes, and I do have the ability to create users from powershell based off of csv when I do them in bulk. I think it's just easier to do it through the GUI for one or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

dissss posted:

What changed in the RDP client between 7 and 8.1? I can't say I noticed any difference at all.

You can resize the top connection bar

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kyrosiris posted:

What's most odd about that to me is that it's not tripping Firefox/Chrome's "hey dumbass, this is a phishing site" warnings. :psyduck:

Its Apple they don't get viruses or spam duh

Apparently even chrome can be fooled.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Things currently pissing me off?

Boss decided to change virtual merchant vendors a month back. Now she's getting all these PCI compliancy emails and how we have to go through it all again. Kicker is we just did the compliancy tests back in January.

So we go to pull the compliancy reports and the old site has turfed all of our information and has no record of any of it. Now we have to run the compliancy scans again.

I get a random request to open our firewall to 2 IP's so we can be scanned. I come in this morning to a failed PCI compliancy test. It failed us because it was able to access port 3389 from the outside world.

No poo poo. They didn't tell me what ports to give you access to so I gave temp access to all services coming in from your IP. Otherwise the server is not open to the public.

The cherry on top? We don't even have a program or anything that processes credit cards in house. We just log into the Virtual Merchant website and plop in the Credit Card over the phone.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
India does it again.

I need to change passwords for about 400 users.

I asked India to add 10 local users to a few machines that they built, that should have been done when they built them. No big deal, it wasnt documented, it is now.

So I wrote them a work order to do it.

They place the following [which is an abstraction, not the real data of course] as the closure notes for the work order.

code:
CREATED USERS AS REQUESTED WITH FOLLOWING SCRIPT

for x in 08 09 10
do
useradd -u 14${x} -g sudoers -c "customer login" custuser${x}
chage -M 99999 custuser${x}
done

echo -e 'OMG A PASSWORD' | passwd --stdin customer08
echo -e 'OMG ANOTHER PASSWORD' | passwd --stdin customer09
echo -e 'OMG A THIRD PASSWORD' | passwd --stdin customer10

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Prescription Combs posted:

Set the management-interface command to the interface you need to troubleshoot? You can generate traffic from an interface that way. Also, packet-tracer will bring up VPNs.

I'm in multicontext mode and each context is handling vastly different traffic while also doing some crazy load balancing with EIGRP, so this option doesn't work.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

m.hache posted:

Things currently pissing me off?

Boss decided to change virtual merchant vendors a month back. Now she's getting all these PCI compliancy emails and how we have to go through it all again. Kicker is we just did the compliancy tests back in January.

So we go to pull the compliancy reports and the old site has turfed all of our information and has no record of any of it. Now we have to run the compliancy scans again.

I get a random request to open our firewall to 2 IP's so we can be scanned. I come in this morning to a failed PCI compliancy test. It failed us because it was able to access port 3389 from the outside world.

No poo poo. They didn't tell me what ports to give you access to so I gave temp access to all services coming in from your IP. Otherwise the server is not open to the public.

The cherry on top? We don't even have a program or anything that processes credit cards in house. We just log into the Virtual Merchant website and plop in the Credit Card over the phone.

I thought companies wanted to be popular. Like isn't that the whole point of having a web presence at all? Otherwise you might as well just do your business by email.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

nitrogen posted:

India does it again.

I need to change passwords for about 400 users.

I asked India to add 10 local users to a few machines that they built, that should have been done when they built them. No big deal, it wasnt documented, it is now.

So I wrote them a work order to do it.

They place the following [which is an abstraction, not the real data of course] as the closure notes for the work order.

code:
CREATED USERS AS REQUESTED WITH FOLLOWING SCRIPT

for x in 08 09 10
do
useradd -u 14${x} -g sudoers -c "customer login" custuser${x}
chage -M 99999 custuser${x}
done

echo -e 'OMG A PASSWORD' | passwd --stdin customer08
echo -e 'OMG ANOTHER PASSWORD' | passwd --stdin customer09
echo -e 'OMG A THIRD PASSWORD' | passwd --stdin customer10

I feel like I should use those passwords myself.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
We had to let our newest hire go. We told him that we were restructuring the department and the project plan and his role was being eliminated. That's not untrue, but it's not the whole truth.

Now he's hitting up team members for recommendations, references and endorsements. This is a problem because the actual reason we let him go is that he wasn't great at his job (we hired him for three things, he's adequate at one and sucked at the other two) and annoyed literally every single person he worked with here. Nobody wants anything to do with him and we can't tell him why, so there's no reason he's going to change, and that pisses me off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

McGlockenshire posted:

We had to let our newest hire go. We told him that we were restructuring the department and the project plan and his role was being eliminated. That's not untrue, but it's not the whole truth.

Now he's hitting up team members for recommendations, references and endorsements. This is a problem because the actual reason we let him go is that he wasn't great at his job (we hired him for three things, he's adequate at one and sucked at the other two) and annoyed literally every single person he worked with here. Nobody wants anything to do with him and we can't tell him why, so there's no reason he's going to change, and that pisses me off.

That one is easy.

"Company policy doesn't let me do anything other than confirm you worked here. Sorry."

Kirov
May 4, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Slows your computer down.
Turns out the owner had told someone that, he thought it was bullshit so he asked me, I confirmed it was bullshit, so he told the owner. First thing in the morning the owner comes down and tells me I don't know what I'm talking about. I rolled my eyes at him and he presents me with a loving xeroxed copy of an article from loving USA Today circa the launch of Windows 95 where that was a 'tip' from some computer expert. He had it highlighted in yellow.
Around that time, there was a bundled software from a major manufacturer (HP or Compaq, can't remember) that animated all your desktop icons to flutter like a butterfly. It did infact slow your computer to a crawl if you had more than 10-15 icons and a celeron CPU. Maybe the stupid journalist bought one of those...

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I get that it's tough to tell people their performance isn't acceptable but if you're in management that is your job.

How do you expect anyone to improve if all their feed is a line of bullshit?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Pfft, once I've fired you your performance is no longer my problem.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Pfft, once I've fired you your performance is no longer my problem.

Obviously, but if someone's doing a lovely job there's a process of addressing that as opposed to whitewashing it.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Tab8715 posted:

I get that it's tough to tell people their performance isn't acceptable but if you're in management that is your job.

Oh, believe me, he knew what he thought of his skills, and we legitimately thought we could retrain and educate him at first. Then the, uh, interpersonal conflicts started, and then the manager of another department literally held his head in his hands and became despondent over the concept of working with this guy in yet another project.

The correct thing to have done would have involved a lengthy HR procedure and ultimately we'd still have to have let him go because even if we could have fixed his complete inability to follow any of our coding standards and practices and his inability to code long-term solutions instead of short hacky workarounds, and his utter and complete lack of attention to detail, or his inability to understand what does and does not look good, everything else about him pushed everyone away. We had to have one of our teammates with him at all times, basically looking over his shoulder. He wasn't allowed to send email to anyone outside the department, or set up meetings, or basically even talk to anyone alone at the end.

It was absurd and unworkable, and he's going to learn nothing because we can't tell him the actual truth because the company is paranoid about legal issues.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Tab8715 posted:

I've often wondered about that from a contractor standpoint. I've worked with some people who are just plainly not cut out for the job they've landed, but not one of them has ever been fired. When I was working on our Server Farm team we had a guy hired who had been a desktop support tech for about 10-12 years, but he seemed completely lost when confronted with a server hardware problem. So instead of working or studying he spent the six months he was with us reading gun review websites and avoiding any work. He left us just before he would have been let go (he didn't have his Security+ certification finished and was going to be canned for that, and not his lack of performance). Last I heard he was selling motorcycles.

There's a new kid on our second shift team that the team lead absolutely hates - doesn't volunteer to do anything, and when he does get assigned something manages to screw it up, but doesn't ask for any help and doesn't say anything to anyone. Had a critical task a few weeks ago that he was assigned, worked on it, said it was done, and when the team lead went to validate the work towards the end of the shift found that the kid had completely hosed the work. This forced the team lead to have to stay late and not only fix the poo poo, but then do the work the kid was supposed to have done. So now the kid sits at his desk with his earphones on, ignoring the ringing phone, and reading blog posts, basically just serving as a seat filler.

I suppose it makes sense from a contract standpoint that you don't fire even the people who are completely useless, since you are paid by the seat and not by the work done, and every empty seat is money you either lose out on or have to pay back. Still annoys me, though. Not that it makes much of a difference since all our jobs are going away in the next six months.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Where the gently caress can I find these jobs? I want to get a good job doing absolutely jack motherfucking poo poo and still get paid. For months. I might even do the minimum requirement to get my Sec+ to keep it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I've often wondered about that from a contractor standpoint. I've worked with some people who are just plainly not cut out for the job they've landed, but not one of them has ever been fired. When I was working on our Server Farm team we had a guy hired who had been a desktop support tech for about 10-12 years, but he seemed completely lost when confronted with a server hardware problem. So instead of working or studying he spent the six months he was with us reading gun review websites and avoiding any work. He left us just before he would have been let go (he didn't have his Security+ certification finished and was going to be canned for that, and not his lack of performance). Last I heard he was selling motorcycles.

There's a new kid on our second shift team that the team lead absolutely hates - doesn't volunteer to do anything, and when he does get assigned something manages to screw it up, but doesn't ask for any help and doesn't say anything to anyone. Had a critical task a few weeks ago that he was assigned, worked on it, said it was done, and when the team lead went to validate the work towards the end of the shift found that the kid had completely hosed the work. This forced the team lead to have to stay late and not only fix the poo poo, but then do the work the kid was supposed to have done. So now the kid sits at his desk with his earphones on, ignoring the ringing phone, and reading blog posts, basically just serving as a seat filler.

I suppose it makes sense from a contract standpoint that you don't fire even the people who are completely useless, since you are paid by the seat and not by the work done, and every empty seat is money you either lose out on or have to pay back. Still annoys me, though. Not that it makes much of a difference since all our jobs are going away in the next six months.

I feel like I work with you, even tho I know I don't.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The problem with those jobs is you make crappy money abd have zero leverage to change that. I guess if you don't care it can be a sweet gig but if you are above average intelligence you will quickly get bored.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

McGlockenshire posted:

We had to have one of our teammates with him at all times, basically looking over his shoulder. He wasn't allowed to send email to anyone outside the department, or set up meetings, or basically even talk to anyone alone at the end.
"You're being let go because you're a complete waste of oxygen and can't be trusted to tie your own shoes. Have you considered a career in telemarketing?"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Tab8715 posted:

Jesus christ, this. I like to think I'm good at my job, but one of the biggest reasons I left my last job (apart from, you know, the horrible pay and unpaid overtime because ~salary~) was because after a round of literally competency-based firings, I couldn't get my manager to say the words "Yes, if we have a problem with your performance, we will tell you before we fire you for performance issues". I explicitly wanted him to state that because he told me that they were firing another guy for performance issues (specifically regarding his coding ability), but wouldn't tell me if they had actually ever told him that, instead of just shuffling him from department to department.

I found out later (from the guy who got fired, so grain of salt) that apparently one of the C-levels of the company was badmouthing him to potential employers when they called up to ask about references.

Thankfully my current manager(s) don't have that problem, but having managers that can't deal with giving critical performance reviews at a minimum is a HUGE red flag to me.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

dissss posted:

What changed in the RDP client between 7 and 8.1? I can't say I noticed any difference at all.

Smart sizing makes it easier to see multiple screens at once In Windows 8 you have have 4 rdp windows tiled and each one stretches to show the whole screen but on Windows 7 it only lets you scroll, keeping the screen at full resolution.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I think the management structure just gets all sorts of hosed up. My boss is the guy at my company who manages our contract but he has zero involvement in my day to day work. The government guy who oversees the contract is too high up to care about anything but metrics and so he's not going to go and demand someone be fired unless you really pissed off a Colonel or something. There's another government guy who sort of oversees my group but he doesn't have any real power and his involvement is mostly deciding what projects get worked on and with what priority. My position doesn't even really have metrics that anyone tracks so it's a great setup if you're competent and can work without a lot of supervision.

On the other hand, only one guy has been fired since I started here almost 4 years ago and he was getting repeated complaints because he just would not bathe (well, a lot of reasons; he once got sick at work, puked in the trashcan at his desk, and then just tried to keep working like it was ok to just leave vomit in an open trashcan at your desk).

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I believe this depends on the contract. I think we get paid a fixed price regardless which is why they've sometimes dragged their feet for as long as a year filling an empty position because the government is not going to rework the contract over a single opening.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Tweetdeck, wtf:

poo poo maxes out my GPU clock (thereby upping my temperature aand power usage) by just being open. That's a loving Chrome tab using no GPU but somehow managing to get my core clock alternating between 725 MHz and 1050 MHz. It's supposed to idle at 300 MHz.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kazinsal posted:

Tweetdeck, wtf:

poo poo maxes out my GPU clock (thereby upping my temperature aand power usage) by just being open. That's a loving Chrome tab using no GPU but somehow managing to get my core clock alternating between 725 MHz and 1050 MHz. It's supposed to idle at 300 MHz.

Turn off hardware rendering in chrome?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Certainly an option, but then I lose all hardware acceleration -- which is pretty useful for WebGL and the like.

If there was a "use hardware acceleration only on these sites" feature (or if tweetdeck wasn't just apparently doing weird GPU poo poo it shouldn't need to do) I'd just go for that option. But until then, I guess I need to keep a separate browser going for my other twitter account.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Where the gently caress can I find these jobs? I want to get a good job doing absolutely jack motherfucking poo poo and still get paid. For months. I might even do the minimum requirement to get my Sec+ to keep it.

Government contracting - we're treated like whores, but it's absolutely imperative that they have us around because we seem to be the only ones (well, some of us) capable of actually doing the work. I would love to become a GS employee - you'd basically have to murder a prostitute that you just finished loving on your desk at work while snorting coke off her cooling body. Even then it's a 50/50 chance of getting fired, because the union would back you 100% and get you reinstated because it doesn't say anywhere in the employee manual that screwing a prostitute, murdering her, or snorting cocaine off her body were specifically mentioned as an immediate firing offense. Plus, before a person can be fired there needed to be counseling and write-ups for previous offenses, and this was the first time any of that happened.

A co-worker once related a story to me about this one GS-14 he worked with. She did absolutely no work and had a TV in her office, which she watched soaps on all day. Her boss was finally convinced that she and the TV needed to go. During arbitration she was given her job back and the TV too, because her boss had not done anything about the situation in all the time she'd been in the position (plus she pre-dated him in the department, so he sort of inherited it), thereby establishing a precedent. She was also awarded back-pay, and somehow managed a grade increase to GS-15 out of it as well. She retired a little while later with a full pension.

Government contracting is sort of like combat - a few minutes of terror (work), and several days of absolute boredom. My unit is a perfect example - we've had so much scope creep because all of us had become incredibly bored and volunteered to do something so we could stay busy. Our only mission requirement is to maintain the health of the messaging environment. At present we do all the patching of the servers, create Good Mobile and Blackberry accounts, troubleshoot those accounts, troubleshoot email accounts, monitor database health, check email flow and perform preventative maintenance steps, perform account modifications and migrations, plus dozens of other little things that were never spelled out in the contract.

Now that we're going away all the organizations that were actually supposed to be doing those tasks are screaming bloody murder because they don't know how to do them and don't have the personnel. They're especially discomfited about our general attitude of 'tough poo poo' when they try to use those excuses when we dump all the tickets in their queues. After we finally close up shop in six months we're taking bets on how long it will take before things implode - the departments that will be taking over for us still haven't even been formed, let alone the personnel hired, and a couple hundred years of experience will be walking out the door, with only 60 days overlap for our replacements to come up to speed. It's going to be an interesting six months.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I smell a contract extension.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

I smell a contract extension.

The contract has already been extended twice - we were actually supposed to be gone in April...of 2014. Current timeline has us gone by August, but we've already been told we'll be here until November 30th at the latest. I think the prime told the government that they would not accept any more extensions after that. Not my problem - in the end I'll have almost a year as an Exchange admin, and hopefully 6 months experience as a virtualization admin. I should be able to parlay that into a job with someone down in Tampa, FL. Dayton, OH just doesn't have very many IT jobs anymore, and what IT sector is here seems to be contracting. From what I can tell Tampa, however, is just full of possibilities, plus MacDill AFB is right there and home to a number of joint services contracts. I figure with my security clearance, well-rounded general IT skills, specialty experience, kick-rear end references from my supervisors, and my sterling employee file I should be able to find a job within a month or two. And while I'm looking for a job I can finally sit back and relax for a little bit and enjoy my first real vacation in like 10 years - I miss scuba diving, so I'm thinking of taking some refresher classes and maybe earn some more specialty certifications so I can get my master diver certification.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
I was tasked with flattening and reinstalling ~30 laptops. Hunt down a switch and some extra cables, Take over a conference room and get everything set up. Get half of them started, and suddenly nothing else will PXE boot, and others start failing and losing their network connections randomly.

Turns out our DHCP pool on that subnet only has like 10 IPs in it, and when it runs out it will randomly not assign an IP or give you an IP that's already in use.

This problem was compounded by the fact that PXE pulls a DHCP lease, and then our PE environment pulls another IP from DHCP, so each computer was using up 2 IPs from the DHCP pool.

I send the infrastructure guys a message asking for more IPs in the DHCP pool, and the response was "lease time is only 15 mins, wait a few minutes and try again"

Please explain to me how that is going to work when I have more computers than I have available IP addresses. :downs:

Our SCCM setup is... special... to say the least. For them to pick up the post-install software they have to be powered on and connected to the network for 24 hour for the collections to update and software to start installing.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Why isn't the dhcp server handing out the same IP for both, since it's the same mac?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

McGlockenshire posted:

:words:

It was absurd and unworkable, and he's going to learn nothing because we can't tell him the actual truth because the company is paranoid about legal issues.

That's a failure of management. Sure, your co-workers might not enjoy your presence but the bottom-line is your direct relationship with your closest manager. If they say you're doing a great job or don't comment who's to say your performance is poor?

If anything someone should have started a Performance Improvement Plan.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I've often wondered about that from a contractor standpoint.

Contractors are much easier to terminate than actual FTE's that's completely the point.

the point.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Jesus christ, this. I like to think I'm good at my job, but one of the biggest reasons I left my last job (apart from, you know, the horrible pay and unpaid overtime because ~salary~) was because after a round of literally competency-based firings, I couldn't get my manager to say the words "Yes, if we have a problem with your performance, we will tell you before we fire you for performance issues". I explicitly wanted him to state that because he told me that they were firing another guy for performance issues (specifically regarding his coding ability), but wouldn't tell me if they had actually ever told him that, instead of just shuffling him from department to department.

I found out later (from the guy who got fired, so grain of salt) that apparently one of the C-levels of the company was badmouthing him to potential employers when they called up to ask about references.

Thankfully my current manager(s) don't have that problem, but having managers that can't deal with giving critical performance reviews at a minimum is a HUGE red flag to me.

I've seen so many lovely managers who simply won't have difficult conversations with their employees because "they might get upset!" and instead get caught up with ridiculous micromanagement.

Oh, Bob doesn't get along with Tim and argue about politics? Instead of telling Bob that talking about politics at work isn't appropriate lets move him to a different cube! John ticket notes are poor he must not be good at working support I guess we'll have to switch him to a different project!

God gently caress management sometimes, no I'm not bitter :haw:

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

McGlockenshire posted:

tell me about it.. i tried to hire a gfx designer and she rejected me because i wasn't offering her enough money.. I dunno, new grads, you want jobs or not????????

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A3th3r posted:

tell me about it.. i tried to hire a gfx designer and she rejected me because i wasn't offering her enough money.. I dunno, new grads, you want jobs or not????????

Well, are you not paying enough money?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
My new boss says I have to show up between 9-930, can't come in dressed up in cosplay, blocked my anime sites, and says I can't do "not coming into work because I drank too much last night with a vendor".

I need a new job

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

My new boss says I have to show up between 9-930, can't come in dressed up in cosplay, blocked my anime sites, and says I can't do "not coming into work because I drank too much last night with a vendor".

I need a new job

Is it that time already?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jim truds posted:

Is it that time already?

If I have to show up in a 30 minute window then it is time for me to find something new.

My prior boss would just let me stay home and watch anime, so long as I got everything fixed.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You went to work dressed in cosplay? Please don't let you be a troll. I want to believe you're real.

E: please post pictures of you in cosplay at work.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

You went to work dressed in cosplay? Please don't let you be a troll. I want to believe you're real.

E: please post pictures of you in cosplay at work.

K I will do monday (tuesday, we are off monday). Me in space dandy (everything but the wig because that is hot as gently caress).

Didn't I already send you a pic of the PSG cosplayers I work with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I'm thrilled our day starts at 8:30 and the whole office wears is business casual - jeans included.