Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for posting this - it's a good explanation of why on three separate occasions I got told to look into video conferencing solutions while on other occasions I was refused permission to contact our outsourced engineer to fix an issue I was at the end of my google-fu to resolve.

Or why my CFO is still dragging his feet on hiring a helpdesk guy after terminating the previous one.

I guess he caught the Parkinson's disease. :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Got a verbal offer yesterday now today is slower than ever while I wait for the written offer. Of course it's right before a long weekend when nobody wants to do any work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bigass Moth posted:

Got a verbal offer yesterday now today is slower than ever while I wait for the written offer. Of course it's right before a long weekend when nobody wants to do any work.

God, that's the worst. I got a verbal at 5:30 pm on a Friday before a 3 day weekend and had to wait until Tues to have the paperwork sent to me.

I found vodka helped a lot.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Sickening posted:

It would be more fun if it was believable though. I am finding it hard to believe servers that are listed on CDW for 30k but the same servers are on ebay for 2k.

i dunno he said 'similar' and to the uninformed i could easily pass off a 5 year old poweredge as pretty similar performance to a new one

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

go3 posted:

i dunno he said 'similar' and to the uninformed i could easily pass off a 5 year old poweredge as pretty similar performance to a new one

Exactly, they burn 30% more watts but the raw processing power hasn't improved that much since 2009. They were $30k retail in 2009 with the RAID/CPU/RAM/PSU setup I put into them, that much is the truth :)

flosofl posted:

The only way I see that happening is if he lives in Jersey and "they fell off the truck".

This is kind of how it is with some of my stuff. My last company was writing the check for a few dozen Biometric timeclocks for $3000 each. I told them just to buy one, then I found a guy on eBay liquidating some for a company that went out of business for $60 each because he didn't know what the hell they were, then i got him to sell me all of them off of eBay so he'd pass on the 10% fees as a discount to me. Then I cloned the config on the one we bought legit and we were up and running.

Oh yeah, my last job still has one remote building running off a hundred no-name Windows CE Thin Clients I bought from AliExpress for $30 each, free shipping. They're all just RDPing into a single Windows 2003 terminal server. Somehow we actually had a folder full of printed RDP CALs but you stumble across that kind of thing in a Fortune 500 company.

In fairness, there's nothing pirated or stolen in any of my environments to my knowledge.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Am I being too much an overly sensitive tumblr/reddit if I think it's not such a good idea if one of our new password recovery questions for full-disk encryption is "Where were you when you heard about 9/11?"?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hey for real though I need to figure out a cheaper way for my sales team to set their caller ID area codes. We're paying $300k a year for something Google Voice can do.

Toshimo posted:

Am I being too much an overly sensitive tumblr/reddit if I think it's not such a good idea if one of our new password recovery questions for full-disk encryption is "Where were you when you heard about 9/11?"?

My credit card security answer for "First Concert Attended" is "GWAR" and I got a customer support rep to lose it when I told him that one time.

There was a goon who was able to fill in his own security question, so me made it "What are you wearing right now?" which the customer support rep would have to ask him, and he made the correct answer "I don't feel it's appropriate to be asking me that."

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 22, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

There was a goon who was able to fill in his own security question, so me made it "What are you wearing right now?" which the customer support rep would have to ask him, and he made the correct answer "I don't feel it's appropriate to be asking me that."

That's STDH.txt and has been around forever.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You are the cheapest stingiest person in SH/SC. I in no way would ever want to work in your environment but I love the tight wad posts.

Cant wait for the day your company decides they need something like a new SAN and you manage to cobble together external usb drives to a usb hub that converts to tape somehow.

His posts are nothing. Try Reddit or the Spiceworks forum. Much worse. I feel bad for Zero, but sometimes you have to work a crap job for a while until something better comes along. Especially if you live in an area without many options.

Fun anecdote:

One of the engineering departments wanted some new storage. Engineering in my company acts like it's own little business, they have a couple of dudes that handle their specific hardware, network, and software environments. I'm in corporate IT, we don't really deal with their stuff at all and it's separate from the rest of the company. Anyway, we have tons of 1TB 2.5" drives around, so engineer dude that is good with IT stuff decides to build a SAN. He's running FreeNAS on a Supermicro box and loaded it with these 1TB SATA 2.5" drives and gave himself like 20TB of space or something which they're now using in a production environment. I'm going to laugh so loving hard when he quits and no one else can figure out the stuff he built or it fails in a magical fashion.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You are the cheapest stingiest person in SH/SC. I in no way would ever want to work in your environment but I love the tight wad posts.

Cant wait for the day your company decides they need something like a new SAN and you manage to cobble together external usb drives to a usb hub that converts to tape somehow.

An SH/SC classic:

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
We have a vendor onsite to deploy some specialty scanning implementation, and the tech just argued with me and continued to push his point that the Windows Firewall was blocking an RS-232 connection between devices.

:negative:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Zero VGS posted:

My credit card security answer for "First Concert Attended" is "GWAR" and I got a customer support rep to lose it when I told him that one time.

they literally lol'd when I told them my first pet's name was "your mom". What's your first pets name?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I hate security questions when you can't choose one to answer, because the ones they come up with always have vague answers for me. Who was your best friend in middle school? God I don't know, I was 12, I had 20 best friends who were also my enemy, which particular week are you referring to? What is your favorite food? I have no idea, what amazing food did I eat the day before I answered this thing?

That's why I love being able to come up with my own questions. Shawshank Redemption, Dark Side of the Moon, and blue. Nice and simple.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

mayodreams posted:

We have a vendor onsite to deploy some specialty scanning implementation, and the tech just argued with me and continued to push his point that the Windows Firewall was blocking an RS-232 connection between devices.

:negative:

I had a printer guy yesterday onsite at a customers call and tell me he needed domain admin access to a workstation in order to install tools to configure a MFP, because his firm wasn't allowed to bring their own computer equipment onsite due to security concerns.

I don't think he realized that I wasn't one of the jerkbag tech-illiterate clients he usually talks to.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I hate security questions when you can't choose one to answer, because the ones they come up with always have vague answers for me. Who was your best friend in middle school? God I don't know, I was 12, I had 20 best friends who were also my enemy, which particular week are you referring to? What is your favorite food? I have no idea, what amazing food did I eat the day before I answered this thing?

That's why I love being able to come up with my own questions. Shawshank Redemption, Dark Side of the Moon, and blue. Nice and simple.

I just answer questions with totally unrelated stuff and add it to Lastpass in the notes field.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

they literally lol'd when I told them my first pet's name was "your mom". What's your first pets name?

In a similar(ish) vein, we used to have our default blackberry password as "noIdea" for 100+ devices
It was still humourous when a user would call:

:v: "Hey do you know the password to the blackberry you guys just sent me?"
:smug: "Uhh, noidea"
:v: "Well if you guys dont know, who am I supposed to call?"
:smug: "No no..."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Mine are cryptic as hell, and I like it that way, because they're impossible for an outsider to decipher but they're so specific that I'll never forget them. One of them asks the maiden name of the mom of some random guy I went to school with, given only by first name. Another one asks what band I saw in Poughkeepsie. Another one asks about what a friend of a friend called his car in 2003. There are maybe six people in the world who can answer at least one of these questions.

Toshimo posted:

I can just imagine being a rep who has to ask this over the phone and receive the answer "when mom called to tell me dad was dead"

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 22, 2015

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Vulture Culture posted:

I can just imagine being a rep who has to ask this over the phone and receive the answer "when mom called to tell me dad was dead"

I should clarify: This is not "customer-facing". It's internal to the agency and only displayed to the user automatically, not used by the helpdesk. And yes, it's a Federal agency. And yes, it's one that has an annual memorial ceremony because it had one of the largest pre-9/11 terrorist attacks on one of its buildings.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Zero VGS posted:

Exactly, they burn 30% more watts but the raw processing power hasn't improved that much since 2009. They were $30k retail in 2009 with the RAID/CPU/RAM/PSU setup I put into them, that much is the truth :)

? Try 300%, at least on the Dell side. 2950s regularly booted up and sucked up 3 amps whereas a R720 or R730 takes just over an amp sustained. Also I rather disagree with the processing power remark - VMs are noticeably faster on newer hardware.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Why does it seem like places never tell you up front that they require out of state travel until after you get in for interviews. Wouldn't it be a much better use of everyone's time to just put that in the initial description of the job posting?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

crunk dork posted:

Why does it seem like places never tell you up front that they require out of state travel until after you get in for interviews. Wouldn't it be a much better use of everyone's time to just put that in the initial description of the job posting?

To suck you in!

I love how most recruiters now will flat out give you the pay range and say the position includes excellent benefits but if you ask for specifics or a copy of the actual employee manual things get much murkier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Potato Alley posted:

Also I rather disagree with the processing power remark - VMs are noticeably faster on newer hardware.

A 2009 server is going to have Nehalem microarch in it. Sandy bridge is going to be about 20% faster clock for clock to say nothing of the other platform improvements such as memory speed.

We're flat out RECYCLING poo poo of that vintage. It's junk compared to modern.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Hey! A HP DL380 is a DL380. This one's only four Gs less than the current model, which is a bargain because I'm spending 10 Gs less on it!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah, we've been getting rid of a lot of G5s, migrating them to a Cisco UCS, and oh my god the difference.

It's like, you can know that a server is going to be faster, but until it's happening you can't fully appreciate how many of your problems it solves.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Here I am buying up all these G6 blades for pennies on the dollar, shipping them wholesale to a place where power and cooling cost virtually nothing, throwing them out when they fail, and laughing all the way to the bank

Seriously gently caress the iLO on the G6 series though

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Here I am rummaging through Misogynist's trash and taking all these old servers for nothing, then selling them to scrappers and laughing all the way to the bank

I love iLOs, but goddamn, keep your API the same. Every new iLO revision breaks every script I have. Just stick with iLO4 forever, please.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Basically HP in a nutshell - breaking poo poo with every new version. I still laugh at how horrible their website(s) are.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Vulture Culture posted:

Seriously gently caress iLO

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

iDRAC is dreamy.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I'm just glad they finally made their rails non-pain-in-the-rear end to deal with if you have to remove a server in the middle of the rack. Nice little button on the inside of the rail, pop, done.

Only took 15 years...

Edit: They only did that with the Gen 2-4ish stuff. The wrench slotted into a place on the inside baffle for later editions. They may have finally done away with it on the Gen8 stuff--the expansion chassis has an easy single thumbscrew-ish retaining bit now. But the wrench paled in comparison to the tiny catch on the outside of the rails you needed to disengage to pop them out. Theoretically you could do it through a small opening in the front with a flathead screwdriver. Realistically, that never worked.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 22, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Is HP still shipping a bunch of annoying torx crap with a bit taped to the back of new servers?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If it's not the Italians and Germans barging in here to disrupt me its the damned English.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I just answer questions with totally unrelated stuff and add it to Lastpass in the notes field.

I generate new random strings with Keepass and use those, also in the notes field. As far as anyone at $COMPANY knows, my first pet's name was 0vgKrfjZcJMngDTl5s0lDaVMUAJV.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I hate getting forced to use bad security questions. Mother's maiden name isn't a great security question when you're raised by a single parent.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I hate getting forced to use bad security questions. Mother's maiden name isn't a great security question when you're raised by a single parent.
Or when the answer to the question is literally a matter of public record anyway.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I'm looking at hardware from all three of the vendors in the last few posts.
Dell R730's
HP G9's
Cisco UCS

And Nexus/ Juniper QFX switchgear.

If I had all the money I was promised, I would go full UCS/Nexus/EMC. But it looks like Dell/Juniper/Nimble are winning out price wise. I have no reason to believe that this gear won't run solid for 5 years and cost 20-30% less due to the volume. Hopefully it will be on a 4 year life cycle (minus networking). Anyone have a VAR recommendation? I need to start calling vendors Tuesday to get actual quotes.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm walking through the office and I see the CEO with... my first boss from the last place! Before he can say anything I said "I'm not going back!"

My CEO laughed. He didn't.

Apparently our companies are working on some sort of joint project. Perhaps I'll get more opportunities to show my old bosses that I'm glad to be in my new position. Like they say, living well is the best revenge.

EDIT: The CFO from the last place just came by and the first thing he said to me was "I.T. has gotten worse since you left." :haw:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 22, 2015

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm walking through the office and I see the CEO with... my first boss from the last place! Before he can say anything I said "I'm not going back!"

My CEO laughed. He didn't.

Apparently our companies are working on some sort of joint project. Perhaps I'll get more opportunities to show my old bosses that I'm glad to be in my new position. Like they say, living well is the best revenge.

EDIT: The CFO from the last place just came by and the first thing he said to me was "I.T. has gotten worse since you left." :haw:

I would have shot back "No longer my problem."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I would have shot back "No longer my problem."

"I'm shocked" :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost