Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

FirstAidKite posted:

What even happened there? He was pissy and trying to make Josuke wipe his nose and then I guess stopped to go investigate poo poo and Josuke just left I guess??

Yeah Joubin said he wanted to go and investigate something about Josuke, and Josuke just left offscreen I guess.

I assume him finding Tsurugi and Yasuho was caused by Paisley Park, and that's why it asked which way he'd approach from.

VVV: me too, I thought for sure it was going to be in his eye or something

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
When the camera showed a closeup of the cook's fingers, I thought for sure we were gonna see some trademark Jojo x-treme gore.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm like 100% sure that they're both meant to give off that feel, if nothing else because they take the place of where jotaro was in the family tree. each of them kinda have a similar 'presence' in their own way.
Oh yeah, totally. Kira has the same physical appearance, and Nijimura has the same motif (hat, stars.)

Point is, it doesn't seem so much that characters from the new universe are new versions of the old universe characters, but that they take elements from characters in the original universe.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, i don't think we're ever going to see a full-on reference instead of an odd combo of different aspects, and honestly i prefer it that way. arcs 7 and 8 have so far shown that araki knows how to reference previous things without going overboard on it, as it's just enough to make people speculate on it and have enough evidence to back their opinions up without 100% confirming it. i think the only time the reference stuff was maybe a little too on the nose was the version of diego with the world, but even that kinda made sense according to the story and the whole alternate realities thing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm pretty Karera is meant to be Kars and is probably a rock person. Even disregarding the name, her ability seems to have something to do with light judging by the way she gets Josuke's attention, but that could just be her reflecting light off the can, but Kars's bone blade ability was called Light Mode so there might be something. The last rock person had a wind Stand which was probably a callback to Wammu's Wind Mode ability too.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 22, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Busman has Esidisi's, Aishou had Wamuu's, Karera probably had Kars' power.

I'd imagine Yotsuyu's stand was made before Araki decided to go with the parallels.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Not like it matters too much since the parallels have largely been for fun.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah, the parallels are neat, but they shouldn't be analyzed super intensely. Some are obvious, but some just don't make sense. Gappy is supposed to be Josuke obviously, but Norisuke's mother has the same name as Josuke's mom so technically by the family tree Norisuke should be the Josuke, but whatever

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Moltrey posted:

Yeah, the parallels are neat, but they shouldn't be analyzed super intensely. Some are obvious, but some just don't make sense. Gappy is supposed to be Josuke obviously, but Norisuke's mother has the same name as Josuke's mom so technically by the family tree Norisuke should be the Josuke, but whatever

Norisuke's name is also Josuke

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
He also has poo poo hair

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

FirstAidKite posted:

Norisuke's name is also Josuke
Yeah, Norisuke's just a title, but Gappy is supposed to be more of the Josuke analogue than Norisuke is, so I guess what I'm saying is, the family trees and callbacks are not hard and fast rules.

Like Norisuke is more like Abbacchio from Part 5 than anything.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 22, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hatty posted:

He also has poo poo hair

He actually has extremely good hair. Hair even the great Rohan Kishibe would appreciate.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

hatty posted:

He also has poo poo hair
What the gently caress did you say about his hair!?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
How is nobody talking about the song?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

darealkooky posted:

that baby was an rear end in a top hat though

being an rear end in a top hat is the single most important element to being a stand user
From the anime thread.

I have been wracking my brains to find a single character that breaks this rule, and I'm failing. Emporio maybe?

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

The Vosgian Beast posted:

From the anime thread.

I have been wracking my brains to find a single character that breaks this rule, and I'm failing. Emporio maybe?

He killed Pucci in the most brutal way possible once there were no witnesses.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

From the anime thread.

Koichi?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Emporio is too cryptic not to be an rear end in a top hat.

He gets pretty drat sadistic once he gains the upper hand. One of the least assholish, sure, but he's got the capacity to be a dick.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
koichi's stand gets stronger the more of an rear end in a top hat he becomes

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Tonio is a saint.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurora posted:

Tonio is a saint.

He goes all Gordon Ramsay on Josuke once the guy steps into his kitchen.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Koichi tortured a nurse to get information out of her by dropping a shelf on her and then using Act 3 Freeze to make it heavier until she talked

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

From the anime thread.

The tree? Tonio? Yasuya? Gyro? Trish? Mountain Tim? Foo Fighters? Achtung Baby?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Potsticker posted:

The tree kidnaps people and forces them to be either guardians of it or live as part of it. Tonio got unreasonably mad over Josuke not washing his hands. Dunno about Yasuya (do you mean Yasuho?). Gyro told someone to eat poo poo and was willing to let Johnny kill himself trying to get on Slow Dancer. I can't think of anything off the top of my head for Mountain Tim. Foo Fighters stole someone's identity and I think beat someone up over her water. Achtung Baby caused a lot of trouble for the DIU gang by being really hard to find.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Sugar Mountain traps people inside of it if they don't meet it's arbitrary goal. That tree is a dick.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Potsticker posted:

The SBR tree? That tree is a huge rear end in a top hat.

Tonio, I explained above. Yasuho hasn't had enough opportunity to display how much of a jerk she can be. Gyro, I don't even know how to explain the myriad ways that Gyro is an rear end in a top hat if you don't know. Tim tried to hang Johnny. Foo Fighters wears a dead body, that's creepy and disrespectful as hell. Achtung Baby probably grew up to be a total bitch.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 23, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

(do you mean Yasuho?).

Oops, yeah.

I don't remember the tree forcing people to stay there, just that the people were exploiting it. And it certainly wasn't the baby's fault it had the power to be invisible! There's also some pretty low values of rear end in a top hat there, unless your point is that Holly was some perfect saint?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Moltrey posted:

Sugar Mountain traps people inside of it if they don't meet it's arbitrary goal. That tree is a dick.

The tree with the slipping leaves in Jojolion.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Potsticker posted:

That was actually a street I thought? Either way, it's also clearly an rear end in a top hat.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Moltrey posted:

Koichi tortured a nurse to get information out of her by dropping a shelf on her and then using Act 3 Freeze to make it heavier until she talked

I honestly don't remember this. :stare:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
^^^ It was in the Highway Star arc. He was trying to find the User's room in the hospital. The nurse was struggling to keep the shelf from falling her already and Koichi was making it heavier until she told him.

Potsticker posted:

Oops, yeah.

I don't remember the tree forcing people to stay there, just that the people were exploiting it. And it certainly wasn't the baby's fault it had the power to be invisible! There's also some pretty low values of rear end in a top hat there, unless your point is that Holly was some perfect saint?
The thing with the tree is that there were probably some people who couldn't exchange their items in time, even if they tried. Probably were some people who just dipped with their prizes, but that tree doesn't discriminate cause it's a dick.

Also that girl inside of it has been there for like sixty years or something and her parents are still trapped inside. Sugar Mountain is one rude tree.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Potsticker posted:

trish pretty seriously injuries narancia when she's first introduced

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Potsticker posted:

Okay yeah, people exploit those leaves. Still, those leaves got a Stand from the Corpse Parts, and I think that would happen to anyone. I was gonna say Lucy Steel was pretty nice the whole way, but she's involved in the murders of two people so nope.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I totally forgot about Sugar Mountain. Likely because I was trying to think of stand users that weren't assholes, but I mean I forgot it was a tree, too. Which means there are TWO trees with more spiritual power than Holly to go along with the dead cat, two rats, two babies--

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Kakyoin definitely seems to have a high opinion of Holly.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

"Not much Jotaro, just thinkin' 'bout yer mom."
/

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Potsticker posted:

I totally forgot about Sugar Mountain. Likely because I was trying to think of stand users that weren't assholes, but I mean I forgot it was a tree, too. Which means there are TWO trees with more spiritual power than Holly to go along with the dead cat, two rats, two babies--

Three babies if you count the Green Baby from Stone Ocean.

Which is essentially just Dio reincarnated but still.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Three babies if you count the Green Baby from Stone Ocean.

Which is essentially just Dio reincarnated but still.

Was the Green Baby actually a person? Like, it was some weird poo poo, even for Jojo.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Potsticker posted:

Was the Green Baby actually a person? Like, it was some weird poo poo, even for Jojo.

I don't know what the gently caress Green Baby was and I want to know even less what happened between it and Pucci.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm pretty sure Araki doesn't even know what happened in Stone Ocean.

• Locked thread