Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Space Racist posted:

Probably people who want to treat their Apple Watch like a G-Shock.

Scrubs shoulda bought an Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Don Lapre posted:

Apple pocket watch

Already done with the Moto 360:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

io_burn posted:

Are you outing yourself as someone who wants to buy a case for their loving wrist watch?

Just as someone who can't wait to see people turn their apple watches into monstrosities.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I can't wait until apple turns it into a great watch.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Just as someone who can't wait to see people turn their apple watches into monstrosities.
Well you know where to go:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1876487
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1880037
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1883273
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1882107

japtor fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 18, 2015

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro

I respect that people want to keep their things nice even if it looks like poo poo as a result, but wow does that look like complete poo poo.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I want to sell those people cloud insurance*.

*Not digital clouds.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When you guys brought up cases I thought you were talking about special cases to keep the watch in when you're not wearing it. But these are a lot funnier. Holy crap do they look bad.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

This one pisses me off the most; not only are they putting a terrible looking case on a watch, but they're trying to make sure that you see her huge wedding rings at the same time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

kimcicle posted:

This one pisses me off the most; not only are they putting a terrible looking case on a watch, but they're trying to make sure that you see her huge wedding rings at the same time.

That's hilarious. The actual Watch - you know, the freakin' subject of the photo - is framed up almost off screen JUST so she can fit the image of her wedding ring in there.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Watch OS 1.0.1 is out.

quote:

Improved performance for:
  • Siri
  • Measuring stand activity
  • Calculating calories for indoor cycling and rowing workouts
  • Distance and pace during outdoor walk and run workouts
  • Accessibility
  • Third party apps

Display support for new Emoji characters.

Improved language support.

You need to have 50% battery on your watch and have it connected to the charger.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
It seems to take a much smaller movement to activate the screen now, and third-party glances are an order of magnitude quicker to load and update.

Praise Tim.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I only had mine for a full day before the update came out. Glances do seem a bit quicker, but I didn't think they were slow and I don't have many 3rd party apps.
I didn't have a problem with wrist activation before but it seems to get in and out a little quicker.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Got my watch replacement today, all in all a week turnaround from when I first called, so I'm pleased with the experience. I was somewhat worried with supply/demand being as it is it might be a while to replace, but it only took two business days to ship after they received my original. Mine's a 38mm, which probably helps though.

Anyway, I ordered some ArmorSuit screen protectors off Amazon just to not have to worry in the future. A little tricky to get on due to the curved edges of the screen, but once it's in place it's barely noticeable compared to a naked screen.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Did anyone ever see any comparisons or actual confirmation that Apple tweaked the gesture to get the screen to turn on in 1.0.1? I feel like mine turns on way easier now, but I'm not sure if it's all in my head or not. It's also entirely possible that I've just gotten used to the arm movement that makes it turn on. Maybe. Who knows.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Some of the tech sites are reporting that Apple stores are starting to have bands in stock now. I am going to go check out the one near me this afternoon to see. I'd like to get a leather loop for mine. Which will hopefully ship in the next few days finally.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Some of the tech sites are reporting that Apple stores are starting to have bands in stock now. I am going to go check out the one near me this afternoon to see. I'd like to get a leather loop for mine. Which will hopefully ship in the next few days finally.

My leather loop is supposed to be here today, now if I just had my watch :sigh:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hasters posted:

My leather loop is supposed to be here today, now if I just had my watch :sigh:

Right there with you buddy. Got my sport band yesterday, still showing my watch won't be here until the end of June.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I am really not impressed with any of apples leather bands so far, they seem machine formed and not nearly what they hype it up to be. I ordered this cheapish band off amazon that is mostly a shot in the dark but they supposedly have really good lugs that actually fit and are made of the material they advertise. If the leather is poo poo but the lugs are good I might order a Brady Strap or a strapcode deployant and reuse the lugs. I'll find out tomorrow I guess.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are any of the charging stands useful?

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Very useful and also awesome aesthetically.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I bought the TwelveSouth one and it's really stable and well made: https://www.twelvesouth.com/product/hirise-apple-watch

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
I want to get a stand for mine when I get it but I feel like they should be max 20 bucks since I'm assuming they don't come with their own charging cable.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
They only had the sport bands and classic buckles in stock, was hoping for the leather loop. Oh well, I'm not too worried since I don't even have the watch yet

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

EpicNemesis posted:

I want to get a stand for mine when I get it but I feel like they should be max 20 bucks since I'm assuming they don't come with their own charging cable.

Spigen makes an aluminum one that goes for $20 on Amazon. Haven't tried it myself it looks pretty decent.

thats the straight dope
Apr 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I returned mine after being frustrated with how slow it was and how inconsistent the wrist tilt activation was. The recent update was aimed at improving those two things. How are people finding it?

I also disliked not being able to remove apps from the home screen. I would've been a lot happier if I could've pared down the icons to 6-7 actually useful things. Not holding my breath for that one though.

Apple's definitely on to something though and I'll probably buy the next version once it's not so slow.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

weese36 posted:

I returned mine after being frustrated with how slow it was and how inconsistent the wrist tilt activation was. The recent update was aimed at improving those two things. How are people finding it?

I also disliked not being able to remove apps from the home screen. I would've been a lot happier if I could've pared down the icons to 6-7 actually useful things. Not holding my breath for that one though.

Apple's definitely on to something though and I'll probably buy the next version once it's not so slow.

Are you trying to hide the apps or just uninstall them? You can uninstall, but there's nothing like folders and definitely no hiding.

thats the straight dope
Apr 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
As far as I could tell you couldn't uninstall the first party apps (at least in the shipping version of the OS). It's less lovely on the phone cause you just stick them in a folder.

I'm not a stocks guy, I don't need stocks on my wrist, for example. World watch I would only use if I go overseas, wouldn't mind installing it then, but let me take it off until I need it.

Jamming every single app into one screen and scrolling around for stuff felt very not Apple.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

weese36 posted:

As far as I could tell you couldn't uninstall the first party apps (at least in the shipping version of the OS). It's less lovely on the phone cause you just stick them in a folder.

I'm not a stocks guy, I don't need stocks on my wrist, for example. World watch I would only use if I go overseas, wouldn't mind installing it then, but let me take it off until I need it.

Jamming every single app into one screen and scrolling around for stuff felt very not Apple.

This isn't a new problem on the Watch, Apple has a huge hardon for apps you can't get rid of, Stocks is one of those. You used to not even be able to put some of them (ahem, newstand) in folders too. I have a dream that one day apple will wake the gently caress up and realize some people don't want that poo poo.
It's annoying but not that big of a problem to just ignore it. I honestly spend miniscule amounts of time on the app screen. Between the watch face, notifications and glaces that describes about 99% of my daily watch interaction.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

weese36 posted:

Before folders became a thing that was very MUCH Apple!

thats the straight dope
Apr 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Before folders became a thing that was very MUCH Apple!

No, you're right. I suppose it wasn't as big an issue for me for early iphone releases because there weren't so many default apps that the entire home screen was taken up.

Any way you slice it, starting you off at 20 or so default apps and making me scrub around with my finger makes the entire experience pretty lacking in elegance. But you're absolutely right that Apple has always had a "we know what you want" attitude, so that's not new (and they're right most of the time, I suppose).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Obviously you gotta get creative with your app layouts and string those unwanted apps out into a poop mosaic off to the side.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Arrange it so the 6 or whatever apps you want are right in the middle around the clock face app, and they absolutely always end up right in the middle when you open the app screen?

This:

becomes this on the watch, 100% of the time:

:confused:

thats the straight dope
Apr 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
That doesn't look convoluted to you?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
The most personal device ever... except the home screen, you have to keep all our apps there :grin:

weese36 posted:

Hopefully they'll make the main app screen more like the dock in iOS and let you make it simpler if you'd like.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 23, 2015

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

weese36 posted:

Not really? I arranged all the apps I wanted towards the centre and the apps I never use on the edges. Since I never use those ones on the edges I never actually even see them on my watch?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Any quality phone/ watch stands under $40 that doesn't look like a dildo on my night stand?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 23, 2015

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The cheapish pandawell leather strap on amazon is actually decent. The lugs that were included are pretty much a flawless fit and match the finish of the stainless perfectly, and while the leather band is on the cheap side, its perfectly functional. I find it quite a bit more comfortable than the sport band for regular wear, but given my preference for leather straps thats not a surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Speaking of stands, I just ordered this:

https://store.griffintechnology.com/watchstand

Normally $30, but there is a code at the top of the page for Memorial Day that drops the price to $22.50. However it doesn't ship for a couple weeks.

I like that It has a stand for the iPhone as well.

• Locked thread