Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Broken Loose posted:

Man, I'm sure glad I never made an anime game or else everybody would automatically assume it's weird and perverted

That reminds me of that one game with a kickstarter where mid-campaign radio silence was broken to announce not production or development plan news or updates - but to announce the availability of body pillows featuring a blushing enemy character from the game, and that announcement was followed immediately here by a question of what the back side looked like. Weird!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Scyther posted:

Speaking of Go and animes, there's at least one cutscene in Dynasty Warriors where Go is played. It's unfortunately not very dramatic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe3jGhV6uFE

I'm surprised more shogi isn't played in Japanese media. They do love their mahjong.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Stelas posted:

I sprung Tragedy Looper on some normal workmates and have yet to be ostracized for it. Surely they're just waiting to drop the bomb.

Don't worry, someone will tell you the game is boring. It is only a matter of time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

I'm surprised more shogi isn't played in Japanese media. They do love their mahjong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL6gmMQl0hc

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

al-azad posted:

Shion no O is actually quite good, it's a murder mystery with a shogi setting, and it's only one compact season so it doesn't drag.

Got me super excited to play more shogi, for sure.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

I think you need to get less judgmental friends.

I sprung Tragedy Looper on some normal workmates and have yet to be ostracized for it. Surely they're just waiting to drop the bomb.

I've played both with my "regular group" - though some people turned up their nose at Tragedy Looper. I'm not always some kind of closet nerd. But sometimes I absolutely am.

People aren't really malicious usually - if anything they're just kind of scared of being uncool, kind of unable to escape a high school mindset. Like, I was at a party a bit ago and I brought the Oculus DK2; it was kind of a weird group with a bunch of army people I don't know well and a few of their wives (the party was around watching UFC and there was kind of an open invite). Eventually most people tried it and had fun, but to start there was a lot of shifty glancing around where people were trying to figure out whether this was way too nerdy to do.

When I pick out a game I absolutely consider how many people will be willing to play it. With Tragedy Looper, that group was pretty narrow - just some of my regular board game group at work. With a different theme, it might have been something I could pull out when a random other couple comes over or something (currently Paperback is getting a lot of work in that situation).

quote:

So essentially I was right about the reason people recoil from anything even vaguely "anime" is they either assume that it's all Pretty Warrior Tentacle Rape Panty Explosion or they assume that's what all their friends will think they're into because of it.

To an extent, yes. Some people will absolutely think that, and it's a conversation, as I said before, that I would really, really rather avoid. But moreso my point was just that many people will think the game is weird/nerdy (and to be fair it kind of is - the setting actually does distract from the game) and wouldn't want to play it.

Edit: And yeah, the post above is incredulous that someone could think Tash Kalar is super nerdy. The name of the game is Tash Kalar, and there's a chick wearing leaves on the bottom (and horse dude with a spear, and generally weird fantasy monsters). If it's difficult to conceive of that being nerdy.. I don't know what to say. It's, uh, pretty nerdy.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 22, 2015

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

In non-anime news, apparently the FFG reprint of Tigris & Euphrates is out now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Myrmidongs posted:

I actually dislike the large plastic figurines compared to the original wood (based on pictures on FGG, I haven't ever played either), but I still might pick it up because I've heard so much good about it. Is the FGG version a straight reprint or are there tweaks?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's a straight reprint and includes the two sided board as well some new variants apparently. Mine should be here next week :science:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

T-Bone posted:

It's a straight reprint and includes the two sided board as well some new variants apparently. Mine should be here next week :science:

They're not exactly new, I think it's just the ziggurat and the 4 other non-monument buildings, which I haven't actually played with before.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Myrmidongs posted:

Yup, we got some down here on Wednesday.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Welp trip report on Keyflower thanks for the advice, turns out our biggest problems came with understanding the boats and how winter worked.

Game was great, everything I wanted it to be, good pick goons. I played it with two heavy board game players and a dude who has dipped his toe in a few times and it wasn't overly complicated enough for him to understand and play.

Few things:

I hosed up flipping the boats during the autumn season phase, which caused a large influx of "keyples" for winter not a huge deal because everyone got the same advantage. Also, are you always reshuffling the boats through out the game? There are only 6 boat tiles so they can't always be new ones. We just played with the same 4 that flipped in winter, which I think we messed up too. I didn't put any more meeples out but I did let people bid for turn order in the winter phase to grab and place the last boat tile.

I also muffed explaining the scoring conditions where you can move around resources and people to tiles for points at the end of the game without having to use transportation. While I explained you can move stuff around for free at the end of game for scoring and explained the four buildings in which you can't do that for my group still didn't understand the timber yard, black smith, barn, stone yard treatment and moved a bunch of resource into those at the end of the game anyway. I think had I just said there is the winter phase and then one more phase after for scoring, people wouldn't have been confused about those four buildings.

Anyway, everyone enjoyed it and it's a game I look forward to playing again!

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
You use the same boats throughout the game which you set out at the start depending on the player count, just like the turn order tiles. Bidding for turn order in winter is correct, you're bidding for both first pick of boats as well as the turn order tile itself, which you can place in the village for a few points. The purple starting player meeple can also be used as a substitute for any type of meeple/resource/skill tile at the end.

Simplest way to explain the resource scoring tiles is that autumn scoring tiles require the resources to be on the tile itself by the end of the game, winter tiles do not. The points icon on the autumn tiles is also different as as a reminder.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Yeah, I think it was just a lot of first play hiccups, thanks for the clarification.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, in hindsight those are pretty important gotchas. The boats flipping, the difference between boat selection order and the purple first turn meeple, and the resources that can be moved wherever during endgame scoring vs the resources that have to stay on a particular tile.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I brought Tash Kalar to my gaming group a few weeks ago, and I got several "Umm wth is that?" type of reluctant comments. They then proceeded to go on and play Space Alert. :v:

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

jmzero posted:

I've played both with my "regular group" - though some people turned up their nose at Tragedy Looper. I'm not always some kind of closet nerd. But sometimes I absolutely am.

People aren't really malicious usually - if anything they're just kind of scared of being uncool, kind of unable to escape a high school mindset. Like, I was at a party a bit ago and I brought the Oculus DK2; it was kind of a weird group with a bunch of army people I don't know well and a few of their wives (the party was around watching UFC and there was kind of an open invite). Eventually most people tried it and had fun, but to start there was a lot of shifty glancing around where people were trying to figure out whether this was way too nerdy to do.

When I pick out a game I absolutely consider how many people will be willing to play it. With Tragedy Looper, that group was pretty narrow - just some of my regular board game group at work. With a different theme, it might have been something I could pull out when a random other couple comes over or something (currently Paperback is getting a lot of work in that situation).

To an extent, yes. Some people will absolutely think that, and it's a conversation, as I said before, that I would really, really rather avoid. But moreso my point was just that many people will think the game is weird/nerdy (and to be fair it kind of is - the setting actually does distract from the game) and wouldn't want to play it.

Edit: And yeah, the post above is incredulous that someone could think Tash Kalar is super nerdy. The name of the game is Tash Kalar, and there's a chick wearing leaves on the bottom (and horse dude with a spear, and generally weird fantasy monsters). If it's difficult to conceive of that being nerdy.. I don't know what to say. It's, uh, pretty nerdy.

Let's face it, if you're busting out a direct-market board game about solving a time travel murder mystery, there is no art style that is going to convince people you're not on an express train to Nerd Central because you are.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Lancelot/Excalibur promos for Avalon are in stock at the BGG store btw: http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/avalon-kickstarter-promo

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Texibus posted:

I hosed up flipping the boats during the autumn season phase, which caused a large influx of "keyples" for winter not a huge deal because everyone got the same advantage. Also, are you always reshuffling the boats through out the game? There are only 6 boat tiles so they can't always be new ones. We just played with the same 4 that flipped in winter, which I think we messed up too. I didn't put any more meeples out but I did let people bid for turn order in the winter phase to grab and place the last boat tile.

Make sure to check the boats during each season to see that they have the correct season symbol on them. You should have fewer and fewer keyples every season, and none in the winter. You did winter boats correctly. I'm glad I didn't have to learn / teach my first game, sounds like you did alright, though.

In other news, my Artscow order came in, thanks for the heads up, goons. (not pictured: the Chaos in the Old World bags)

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Rumda posted:

The extra 3 were kickstarter bonuses

Oh, I see. Maybe BGG's store will stock them at some point. All they have is the stickers right now.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

EvilChameleon posted:

Make sure to check the boats during each season to see that they have the correct season symbol on them. You should have fewer and fewer keyples every season, and none in the winter. You did winter boats correctly. I'm glad I didn't have to learn / teach my first game, sounds like you did alright, though.

In other news, my Artscow order came in, thanks for the heads up, goons. (not pictured: the Chaos in the Old World bags)

Those look really nice. I wasn't sure about them, but I'm quite impressed, I think I'm going to order a set.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

My birthday is tomorrow so my wife ask what I wanted to do tonight, I picked Eclipse. lol.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ropes4u posted:

My birthday is tomorrow so my wife ask what I wanted to do tonight, I picked Eclipse. lol.

This is good poo poo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ropes4u posted:

First question: how do you have all your discs without either Advanced Robotics or Quantum Grid?
Second question: why are you playing Planta?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

First question: how do you have all your discs without either Advanced Robotics or Quantum Grid?
Second question: why are you playing Planta?

Removed the discs before we started and I forgot how horrible Planta can be..

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Forbidden Stars has been updated to "ON THE BOAT" status on FFGs site :eyepop:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

In a 2p game, planta can just poop cubes across the galaxy unimpeded

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

I kept running out of cash, this isn't a great game to leave in the closet for months on end. I need to renew my desire for an organizer and the economy trays. It's a great game and I'm sad I have never played with more than two

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Lord Frisk posted:

Which reminds me, aren't you not supposed to use planta/precursor people whose name I forget in a two player game because their explore powers are too strong when there aren't that many people.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
Played Belfort tonight for the first time. 4 people playing (including myself) were new. I've never played a game with so much downtime. The game itself was alright but I just spent most of it waiting for other people to take their turns.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

EvilChameleon posted:

Played Belfort tonight for the first time. 4 people playing (including myself) were new. I've never played a game with so much downtime. The game itself was alright but I just spent most of it waiting for other people to take their turns.

I didn't recall Belfort being too bad for downtime myself, but then, it's a relatively low-AP game and most of our downtime is caused by ridiculous AP...

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Dirk the Average posted:

Which reminds me, aren't you not supposed to use planta/precursor people whose name I forget in a two player game because their explore powers are too strong when there aren't that many people.

Yeah, the descendants of Draco. Both allow you way more access to the hex tile decks than you really have any business having in a 2p game.

Getting your economy on lock is basically doing the explore action and only the explore action until you can no longer explore any more. It becomes kind of a rote system. I recommend the expansion to help mitigate this, as you can place ancient dreadnought tiles where other players homeworlds would be. They also don't contribute to dracos win condition, so you can begin with a more formed, more hostile Galaxy. Either way though, don't play planta/descendants in a 2p game.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lord Frisk posted:

Yeah, the descendants of Draco. Both allow you way more access to the hex tile decks than you really have any business having in a 2p game.

Getting your economy on lock is basically doing the explore action and only the explore action until you can no longer explore any more. It becomes kind of a rote system. I recommend the expansion to help mitigate this, as you can place ancient dreadnought tiles where other players homeworlds would be. They also don't contribute to dracos win condition, so you can begin with a more formed, more hostile Galaxy. Either way though, don't play planta/descendants in a 2p game.

I love eclipse so much I bought the expansion, I need more nerdy friends.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Anybody have any 2-player recommendations? Beyond Twilight Struggle, which is out of print and sadly not lying around somewhere in the poorly laid out boardgame stacks of my unfriendly local game store.

We play lot of Race for the Galaxy, so we're open for wafer-thin theme, but I think we'd like something at the polar opposite end of that.

Netrunner is something that we both enjoyed, but neither of us want to bother with deck building, which sort of killed that.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Dominion?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Wargames. Diskwars. Tash Kalar. Manoeuvre (it looks like a wargame, but it's roughly as close to them as Chess).

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!
Tash-Kalar. Can also play 3 or 4 people.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Viticulture plays well with anywhere from 2-6 players (also plays with 1 of you get Tuscany expansion, which I'd recommend) and is dripping with theme, and an accessible theme at that, and is also a pretty solid WP game.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

thespaceinvader posted:

I didn't recall Belfort being too bad for downtime myself, but then, it's a relatively low-AP game and most of our downtime is caused by ridiculous AP...

It could have just been a bunch of new people. I don't think anyone was being super AP but it definitely took us 3h to get through the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Viticulture sounds perfect. Thanks