Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Plus I believe its strait AC. DC makes it easier for idiots like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looking at the product pamphlet that came with my new socket set, it seems they offer 12 point sets as well. Is there any reason for me to get them instead of the 6 point sets?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It can be kinda nice to have 12 points but not necessary. You're more likely to round off a fastener head with a 12pt.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

It can be kinda nice to have 12 points but not necessary. You're more likely to round off a fastener head with a 12pt.

I've got my old set with 12 points as a backup, just wanted to make sure.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah, only time I've ever needed 12pt sockets on a car is for head, main bearing, and conrod bolts on some engines (both BMW and Toyota use them that I personally know of, as well as aftermarket stuff like ARP ). Off the top of my head I can't recall any other time I've needed 12 pts.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

fknlo posted:

Mmmmmmm, New tools.

Is that a grey pneumatic set? I've been considering picking up 1/2" and 3/8" drive sets, but I've heard people on Amazon complaining that GP doesn't like to warranty stuff purchased via Amazon. I'd like some nicer quality sockets than my Craftsman collection, and I always need more ratchets.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PitViper posted:

Is that a grey pneumatic set? I've been considering picking up 1/2" and 3/8" drive sets, but I've heard people on Amazon complaining that GP doesn't like to warranty stuff purchased via Amazon. I'd like some nicer quality sockets than my Craftsman collection, and I always need more ratchets.

It is! I haven't really seen any of the warranty complaints. Pretty much all of the reviews I've seen have been very positive which is one of the reasons I bought them. The only real complaint I've seen(which I got as well) was no wobble extensions when that's what the sets are supposed to come with.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

fknlo posted:

It is! I haven't really seen any of the warranty complaints. Pretty much all of the reviews I've seen have been very positive which is one of the reasons I bought them. The only real complaint I've seen(which I got as well) was no wobble extensions when that's what the sets are supposed to come with.

Wobble extensions definitely aren't a deal-breaker. I'd probably start with a 3/8" set, since that's probably 80% of my use. I don't use half inch much, unless it's on a breaker bar or an impact gun.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PitViper posted:

Wobble extensions definitely aren't a deal-breaker. I'd probably start with a 3/8" set, since that's probably 80% of my use. I don't use half inch much, unless it's on a breaker bar or an impact gun.

I had planned on buying the 1/4" and 3/8" sets first, but that one was 7 or 8% off the normal price so I grabbed it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Hey, I hate wobble extensions so that's good news.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yeah, only time I've ever needed 12pt sockets on a car is for head, main bearing, and conrod bolts on some engines (both BMW and Toyota use them that I personally know of, as well as aftermarket stuff like ARP ). Off the top of my head I can't recall any other time I've needed 12 pts.

Beware that 12-point isn't just 12-point, there's double hex and triple square.

I prefer hex sockets for normal bolts and then the appropriate 12-point specialty socket if needed.

And yeah, BMW spark plugs, for one, is some weird 12-point standard. Because Bavaria.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

bolind posted:

And yeah, BMW spark plugs, for one, is some weird 12-point standard. Because Bavaria.

Or how Mercedes uses a 9mm hex and a 11mm hex......WTF!!! most hex socket sets in Merica go 8 10 12. In tool news matco guy still hasn't brought me my digital tire inflator. But he did get me a turbo keychain to make up for it

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bolind posted:

Beware that 12-point isn't just 12-point, there's double hex and triple square.

I prefer hex sockets for normal bolts and then the appropriate 12-point specialty socket if needed.

Quadruple triangle.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Strange. My BMW uses a regular autozone spark plug socket. I'm almost positive it's SAE too.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

revmoo posted:

Strange. My BMW uses a regular autozone spark plug socket. I'm almost positive it's SAE too.

Correct. Everything up to at least the m54tu utilizes a 7/8s spark plug socket.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

bolind posted:

Holy poo poo please please please tell me you're joking. Even if you aren't, please lie and say it's a joke.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

CountOfNowhere posted:

Holy poo poo please please please tell me you're joking. Even if you aren't, please lie and say it's a joke.

My friend's BMW-mini has something like 9/16" 12-point spark plugs

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Really? A German company using imperial spark plugs? Honestly?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cakefool posted:

It's probably 14mm or something, but I only had standard sockets onhand at the time, not some weirdo metric poo poo, so that's what I used.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Got a hell of a deal on a 1/2in digital torque wrench. I'm in love.

In other news my harbor freight aluminum jack blew a seal. Time for a new lower profile jack.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
This week's free Craigslist score.

It was listed as bad motor. I did some googling and discovered that the switch that disconnects the start capacitor can fail and cause issues including burning up that capacitor. That's what I went in expecting. After an hour drive and $15 in tolls the guy tells me that the pump is bad.

I take it and tear into it. It was used in a paint shop. IN a paint shop so both cylinders were full of dry paint and scored to poo poo.

I also found leaks in nearly every fitting.

I ordered rebuild kits for both cylinders but they sent me the wrong piston for the high side. Now I wait for the right one to arrive and I'm going to replace all the o rings and re Teflon all the fittings.
At least with the tank being full of paint I don't have to worry about rust.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

kmcormick9 posted:

This week's free Craigslist score.

It was listed as bad motor. I did some googling and discovered that the switch that disconnects the start capacitor can fail and cause issues including burning up that capacitor. That's what I went in expecting. After an hour drive and $15 in tolls the guy tells me that the pump is bad.

I take it and tear into it. It was used in a paint shop. IN a paint shop so both cylinders were full of dry paint and scored to poo poo.

I also found leaks in nearly every fitting.

I ordered rebuild kits for both cylinders but they sent me the wrong piston for the high side. Now I wait for the right one to arrive and I'm going to replace all the o rings and re Teflon all the fittings.
At least with the tank being full of paint I don't have to worry about rust.

Those are the biggest POS compressors I have ever had the displeasure of working on. If you get it fixed, it will just snap one of the con-rods two weeks later. The tank should be aluminum and IMO, you got a great deal on a free tank because once you find out how loud that bastard is, you won't want to run it indoors.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Compressor chat! My work just installed this:

It's mounted outside, but really the thing runs so quiet it could be inside and nobody would care. With 55 CFM production we can run impact guns and die grinders all day and not have to wait for air. A huge step up from our last compressor, which while I don't know the specs if I had to estimate the output it would be between 5-10.

Actually we just moved into a huge shop with all kinds of new toys including a 5-ton overhead crane. I should take more pictures and post them here.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
My work is making me have a bad case of tool lust. This week we just got back a Miller Dimension 652 from being repaired, last week it was a Lincoln Power Wave 1000 :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

In the same way they have 3/4" hex wheel bolts, yes.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any recommendations for a mid range soldering iron in the 50$ price bracket?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Any recommendations for a mid range soldering iron in the 50$ price bracket?

Everything in that range is junk pretty much.

If you can double the budget you can get one of the standard tanks that will work forever: http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WES51-...ldering+station

Take Hakko style tips so you'll be able to find just about any size/shape imaginable.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Ah, that's not bad at all. I threw out a number, I don't need a super high end unit, just something that works and won't be a frustrating experience.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Ah, that's not bad at all. I threw out a number, I don't need a super high end unit, just something that works and won't be a frustrating experience.

Basically the price tiers go
$50 Weller WLC100: Basic, works OK, but frustrating to do real work with
$100 Weller WES51: Great intermediate option, can do most stuff without trouble
$350 (used) Metcal MX500: Does everything, including big ground planes and SMD parts

If you need more than that, you probably need hot air and a board heater too

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Got my pops a big set of ratcheting wrenches for his birthday so he can work on his olde scout that is sitting in our barn right now (along with his other metric using vehicles). I was really thinking of getting two of the master series gearwrench kits, but this one came with stubbies and I was a bit too curious about them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADXMWGO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Commodore_64 posted:

Got my pops a big set of ratcheting wrenches for his birthday so he can work on his olde scout that is sitting in our barn right now (along with his other metric using vehicles). I was really thinking of getting two of the master series gearwrench kits, but this one came with stubbies and I was a bit too curious about them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ADXMWGO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've looked at most of the available sets and ended up deciding to go with the master sets when I buy just because I know I'll end up running into some stupid size that the non-master sets have and be mad that I didn't buy them. And I hate money.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Birthday is coming up soon so I bought myself an efficient german velder.

http://www.stahlwerk-schweissgeraete.de/en/wig-tig-acdc-200-puls-mit-plasma/stahlwerk-acdc-wig-200-puls-mit-plasma-vollausstattung.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USK5TnhrtWc

Got everything bar an argon tank to be ready to weld TIG, but it should be sweet to stick weld with out of the box. It'll be nice to have a proper welder again after so long with a Lidl buzzbox and a no brand fluxcore wirefeed welder. The plasma cutter will be really handy too but i suspect it means is i'll be buying a better compressor soon.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Commodore_64 posted:

Those mini wrenches are amazing. I use those in the strangest of places and they make life a lot easier. I can think of more times where I was glad to use them then times I wonder why they exist.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Raluek posted:

Basically the price tiers go
$50 Weller WLC100: Basic, works OK, but frustrating to do real work with
$100 Weller WES51: Great intermediate option, can do most stuff without trouble
$350 (used) Metcal MX500: Does everything, including big ground planes and SMD parts

If you need more than that, you probably need hot air and a board heater too

I've been looking into a new soldering station and the Kendal 853D is by far one of the best ones I've come across for the money, if you're looking to go all out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kio5louvt2s

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I asked this same question last year, balance of recommendations and what was available to me led me to a Weller WHS40. I'm happy with it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm partial to the Hakko FX888D. $99, and it's a great iron

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll read reviews and find the best one.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

I asked this same question last year, balance of recommendations and what was available to me led me to a Weller WHS40. I'm happy with it.

I bought a £35 Antex from Maplin. Replaced the ridiculously short power lead with a DIY 10' one and it's perfect. I used to do a lot of wiring repairs, and still do a fair bit of upfitting electrics, it's never let me down, great iron.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

sharkytm posted:

I'm partial to the Hakko FX888D. $99, and it's a great iron

I've got one these as well and have no complaints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Galler posted:

I've got one these as well and have no complaints.

I'm buying another one, that's how much I like it. You have to change modes to preset, bit that's easy enough.