Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

iwentdoodie posted:

I imagine you as a larger, less funny Jim Gaffigan. With jorts.

He's way fatter than me. And balder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhyno posted:

Just got a call from the police!

Someone broke into my old garage and I guess the oval office of a property manager gave them my name as a suspect! And to make matters worse, I adamantly denied being anywhere near there last night (I was at a benefit concert) and then recalled that I did go pick up my girlfriend from her friend's place. Her friend that still lives there. That was an awkward call back. "Uh yeah actualu officer I was over there AND I'M TOTALLY NOT MAKING MYSELF LOOK GUILTY RIGHT NOW."

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

This is why you NEVER loving talk to the cops.

Tusen Takk posted:

If you're upfront and honest with them and make sure to call them sir at every chance you get in my experience this makes the interaction go much, much smoother.

Are you loving kidding me?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nm posted:

This is why you NEVER loving talk to the cops.

Are you loving kidding me?

What do you have to hide? Huh?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

BrokenKnucklez posted:

That budget puts you squarely into a late model very gently used M3 if that what trips your trigger. If you want though, a brand new Mustang GT that is pretty spec'ed out would be around 40ish, but with some decent incentives, it could drive that price down a little.

I am not a huge new Camaro fan, I like more glass than the periscope that they give you in the Camaro.

Edit: huh, the Camaro 2SS package is about the same as the Mustang in high spec package. Both cars give you a ton of value for 38k.

So I hear with the Ms, but most of what I see out there are DCT convertibles lol.

I'd have to see the new Camaro in person, but so far the pictures with people in it have been a bit hilarious.

I'm also vacillating about how 'practical' I want to be in regards to back seat accessibility as I've got two young kids I want to keep exposing to fun cars. I've already been dealing with car seats in a small coupe with my BRZ, but it'd probably be smart of me to get something slightly easier or bigger :). Or I could just buy a 911 and say gently caress it :).

edit: Oops, you're not talking about the '16 Camaro

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 22, 2015

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5018470403.html

Jus' sayin.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks fast but too bad that 996's are just so painfully ugly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

What do you have to hide? Huh?

GUILTY

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Only $15k outside of my price range :)

Something more like this is realistic: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5027389310.html

BraveUlysses posted:

looks fast but too bad that 996's are just so painfully ugly.

I actually don't mind the 996.2 since the headlights are quite a bit better and I find the clunky interior kind of charming.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
I just changed the engine oil, trans oil and rotated the tires on my 07 corolla in preparation for a long trip. After taking it out for a spin afterwards, the right front wheel was hot to the touch and the area smelled like hot brakes.

Am I correct in thinking it has a stuck caliper? How hosed am I here? I re-torqued all the wheels, took it around the block, did a few stops, and now i'm waiting for it to cool down completely.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mat_Drinks posted:

So I hear with the Ms, but most of what I see out there are DCT convertibles lol.

I'd have to see the new Camaro in person, but so far the pictures with people in it have been a bit hilarious.

I'm also vacillating about how 'practical' I want to be in regards to back seat accessibility as I've got two young kids I want to keep exposing to fun cars. I've already been dealing with car seats in a small coupe with my BRZ, but it'd probably be smart of me to get something slightly easier or bigger :). Or I could just buy a 911 and say gently caress it :).

edit: Oops, you're not talking about the '16 Camaro

I test drove the 15' Mustang GT, '15 Camaro SS, Hellcat Challenger and three different E92 M3's before buying mine, if you want a car that feels most like your BRZ but with some actual get up and go the M is going to be the closest by far - the other cars had lots of grunt and felt fast once you got them pointed in the right direction, but were nothing like as tight and 'focused' feeling, like a race car that you drive to the office... The others felt more like regular cars that were considerably more powerful than regular regular-cars. The M3 feels so much smaller and more tossable once you're at the wheel, you can really grab it by the scruff of the neck and wring it out like you do with the FRS/BRZ, you just don't have to enter every corner at 65mph to feel the thrill.

FWIW, all the M3s I drove felt pretty much the same (they were all coupes with sub-35k miles, the one I drove with the moon roof "felt" a little softer, but that could well be placebo/extra noise from the opening above your head.) - I didn't really like the action of the manual transmission enough to make it worth the extra effort in daily driving. Don't buy a convertible or you're missing half the reason you got a M.

I did not drive any AMG stuff because I've heard just too many horror stories about repair bills costing an arm and a leg and the E9x M3 seems to be pretty bulletproof by comparison. For $40k you can have your pick of just about any of them that're older than about 2011.5, most of the dealers I looked at had generally had their prices $2-3k above what they were likely realistically purchaseable for. Only complete maniacs can even tell what year it is from the exterior, the ZCP wheels are the only real obvious tip-off but so many people have retrofitted them even that's not a reliable method.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Giblet Plus! posted:

I just changed the engine oil, trans oil and rotated the tires on my 07 corolla in preparation for a long trip. After taking it out for a spin afterwards, the right front wheel was hot to the touch and the area smelled like hot brakes.

Am I correct in thinking it has a stuck caliper? How hosed am I here? I re-torqued all the wheels, took it around the block, did a few stops, and now i'm waiting for it to cool down completely.

Jack the front up, put the car in neutral and spin each wheel by hand, see if there's a difference.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mat_Drinks posted:

Only $15k outside of my price range :)

Something more like this is realistic: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5027389310.html

I actually don't mind the 996.2 since the headlights are quite a bit better and I find the clunky interior kind of charming.

If you want to turn heads in Seattle for about 40 grand, hand it to me and release me from this prison that mortal flesh has encased my true nature inside.

You'll get your 40 grand worth. I loving promise you that.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Just found out the parking brake cables on my Focus are seized. loving rust belt :suicide:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Third showing of Mad Max aquired, first time I had 2D available so I got that.

If Mad Max winds up not having the sustain that literally everyone who sees it believes it will, it won't be on my end.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

I test drove the 15' Mustang GT, '15 Camaro SS, Hellcat Challenger and three different E92 M3's before buying mine, if you want a car that feels most like your BRZ but with some actual get up and go the M is going to be the closest by far - the other cars had lots of grunt and felt fast once you got them pointed in the right direction, but were nothing like as tight and 'focused' feeling, like a race car that you drive to the office... The others felt more like regular cars that were considerably more powerful than regular regular-cars. The M3 feels so much smaller and more tossable once you're at the wheel, you can really grab it by the scruff of the neck and wring it out like you do with the FRS/BRZ, you just don't have to enter every corner at 65mph to feel the thrill.

FWIW, all the M3s I drove felt pretty much the same (they were all coupes with sub-35k miles, the one I drove with the moon roof "felt" a little softer, but that could well be placebo/extra noise from the opening above your head.) - I didn't really like the action of the manual transmission enough to make it worth the extra effort in daily driving. Don't buy a convertible or you're missing half the reason you got a M.

I did not drive any AMG stuff because I've heard just too many horror stories about repair bills costing an arm and a leg and the E9x M3 seems to be pretty bulletproof by comparison. For $40k you can have your pick of just about any of them that're older than about 2011.5, most of the dealers I looked at had generally had their prices $2-3k above what they were likely realistically purchaseable for. Only complete maniacs can even tell what year it is from the exterior, the ZCP wheels are the only real obvious tip-off but so many people have retrofitted them even that's not a reliable method.

I don't know that I'm trying to replicate the BRZ with more power. Don't get me wrong, I love the lightness, handling and steering, but I feel like that can be had from a Miata albeit at in slower car. Your thoughts about the transmission are interesting, I'd have thought the manual would have made the car that much better and it seems like a con on the AMG side. Out of curiosity, when you were shopping what came in second place after the M3?

The problem with the Internet and assessing car reliability is that a lot of it ends up being anecdotal rather than statistical. I've heard a lot of chatter that is the opposite of what you've heard about the M v. AMG.

Though I suppose if I'm going to look at statistical information hasn't Porsche been consistently a top performer on JD power for the past few years? Or does the AI hive mind consider JD Power bullshit? I know I answered their survey about my BRZ...

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

If you want to turn heads in Seattle for about 40 grand, hand it to me and release me from this prison that mortal flesh has encased my true nature inside.

You'll get your 40 grand worth. I loving promise you that.

Vanity plate 'VLKYRIE'?

With a license plate border that says 'I drop my engine/To change spark plugs" :v:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Goddamn it, why does the inside of the Crown Vic suddenly smell like a dead animal farted? If I open the windows for a minute it's fine, but after sitting for a bit it's kinda loving gross. I only have a few weeks left to sell it before I need to get another smog check, too. Air freshener time I guess, since I can't find anything inside that would be making the smell and turning on the vents gives clean-smelling air.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The Mustang was #2 in overall/drive feel/interior quality/general performance, the Hellcat Challenger was #2 in straight line/hilarious power feeling. Both felt huge though comparatively, I was rather surprised at how much smaller/an "extension of your own body" that the M3 felt once you're strapped in. I was expecting it to feel more like a muscle/big car, and it feels as tidy to toss around as my uncle's FR-S. I guess I was just sort of comparing the two having the same feeling of "Oh wow, I can do ANYthing I like and still save it because it's THAT balanced" that I wasn't expecting in the 420hp Bavarian beast going into my first real test drive.

Aside from the dreaded Rod Bearing issue on the S65 (which seems to affect about 5% of owners, from the anecdotals I've read/the "My uncle works at Nintendo" stats), there seem to be very few 'major' issues that I'd read about/gave me concern to take on a $75k-at-new car with no warranty. The Rod Bearing issue seems to be pretty easy to monitor for concern (if you blackstone your oil religiously) and preventative repair of it before it goes is only about $2k ("only"). It seems to get a lot of chatter in discussion boards, but obviously none of the users who's engines DIDN'T have the problem are making threads on BMW forums at quite the same rate as the unlucky.

The transmission was a 50/50 deal, I liked the manual for the concept of it being the right thing for a performance car/being an old-school believer in manual supremacy, but I didn't like the clutch action/stick movement enough to make me feel like the DCT wasn't a better mate to the engine's sheer insane love to rev. I have not regretted it. (2 of the M3s I tested were manual, I wanted to make sure that one of them wasn't an outlier before I passed judgement on the clutch/stick feel.)

It was by no means 'bad', I just didn't find it as beautiful as say, a Miata or S2000's enough to warrant passing up the exact perfect car I'd been looking for, which the one I bought hit every box on. It's also really nice to just put it in D and go to work on a stop and go 101 freeway some mornings, with the ability to paddle it down to any gear you want when you need to hear that induction noise again and merge with authoritah.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Jack the front up, put the car in neutral and spin each wheel by hand, see if there's a difference.

I had the wheels off, re-greased the slide pins, cleaned the brakes, and it still heated up. I left it at a local shop, changing pads is the height of my brake comfort level at the moment. Pretty sure its a stuck caliper piston. Hope the wheel bearing didn't get damaged.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If you compressed it for new pads and it's sticking, look at the rubber line because they can seperate internally and act like a one way check valve letting fluid in and not out

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm... sorta back. Still posting from a hospital, but much more comfortable.

Combination of the ever-old nemesis of alcohol withdrawal; my at-home tapering didn't work as well as I thouhht. Add some chest pains, nasty dehydration, and the doctors think there's now a side of coronoey artery diseaee. Even now, on who knows how many meds that would renter most elephants uncsoncious...I'm mostly coherent. Need a cane to stand easily. Chest and left arm are still sore.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

drat man, get better quick! Wishin you a speedy recovery!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

some texas redneck posted:

Combination of the ever-old nemesis of alcohol withdrawal; my at-home tapering didn't work as well as I thouhht. Add some chest pains, nasty dehydration, and the doctors think there's now a side of coronoey artery diseaee. Even now, on who knows how many meds that would renter most elephants uncsoncious...I'm mostly coherent. Need a cane to stand easily. Chest and left arm are still sore.
Get better quick.
if only so we can :suspense: while you make more poor life decisions

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My idle has been bouncing around for a few weeks now so I just took off the TB to clean it up. Now it is even worse. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

Get better soon :(

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Get well soon str, many, many people from all the rain sodden, death scorched, and kinda in between bits of the world want you to be healthy enough to return to delivering circular foods in angular cars ASAP.

I'm feeling pretty chipper in that I have a decent chance of buying the flat I'm renting. Downside is I've got a meeting with a mortgage advisor tomorrow at 10am, but the Chinese-ish food (salt and chilli chicken and chips (fries), cheese and curry sauce) I've just eaten might not make the dent in the hangover I was hoping it would, and I've had the hiccups since two pubs ago. Thank gently caress for the two emergency cans of irn bru I got with the Chinese.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

To ensure you get the best mortgage deal you probably want to try and delay that hangover until after your meeting.

How you achieve that is down to you. Good luck!

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Just keep a mild drunk rolling the whole time, no hangover required.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My idle has been bouncing around for a few weeks now so I just took off the TB to clean it up. Now it is even worse. :(

You pinched the gasket.

Or didn't reset the ecu.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Hardest day I've had this year. My whole body aches. Thank God for ice cold liquor.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

I hosed off from work early to catch the 4:15 matinee of Fury Road.

Goddamn

I was also the only person in the theater. What the gently caress?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Jesus Christ, Hawks, on top of playing like poo poo we just keep getting hurt FUCKKKKKKK

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWU6QqW2Z14

I'm gonna blast this poo poo around loop 610 in the dirty swamp that is houston from my :sissies: miata. WITNESS ME!

e: it occurs to me that Nux had more character development in one movie than Draco Malfoy did in 8 movies/7 novels. What now, Rowling? Schlanger.

e2: I'm gonna fang it now, hope the cops aren't out. poo poo STR, get it together man. Wish I was closer so we could be lovely alcoholics together. Seriously though, if you kick the booze, lmk how you did it because this poo poo's got a hold on me something fierce.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 23, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
What hotel bar closes at 10pm on a Friday night on Memorial Day weekend in Panama loving redneck riveria City Florida? Couple drinks at dinner, ready to settle in for a few whiskeys at the hotel bar and the chick was like "I close in 30 minutes".

Oh well. I least I have you guys.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
gently caress if I know. That poo poo is stupid. I'm tired as hell and out of booze. Didn't even have enough to get a buzz.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Our hotel bar closes at sunset, it minimizes complaints from guests that aren't drinking and trying to get some sleep.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So my wife went vegetarian, and I'm decidedly not, as I barely eat vegetables.

Tonight I decided to try and make her dinner. I saw a recipe for "quinoa buffalo sliders" and figured why not.

Jesus gently caress balls that poo poo was actually god drat delicious. And now she's gonna go see mad max with me.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

iwentdoodie posted:

So my wife went vegetarian, and I'm decidedly not, as I barely eat vegetables.

Tonight I decided to try and make her dinner. I saw a recipe for "quinoa buffalo sliders" and figured why not.

Jesus gently caress balls that poo poo was actually god drat delicious. And now she's gonna go see mad max with me.

boca burger with plenty of hot sauce is pretty edible.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MAD MAX?

MAD MAX

MAD MAX

MAD MAX

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Enourmo posted:

MAD MAX?

MAD MAX

MAD MAX

MAD MAX

qtiyd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

QuarkMartial posted:

gently caress if I know. That poo poo is stupid. I'm tired as hell and out of booze. Didn't even have enough to get a buzz.

I got just enough to make me want to go to sleep. but that might be the booze + belly full of grouper I had for dinner

Love me some grouper.

• Locked thread