Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Does a lawyer truly live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Really? Cool! I guessed that because one of the criminal acts you stated occurred in the video literally can only happen in California (as far as I know). Washington has different laws -- you will never hear that was "assault without gbi" or "battery" unless you're reading incredibly lovely coverage.

edit: whoops, that could be read way more condescending than I meant. sorry, phone posting.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fosborb posted:

Really? Cool! I guessed that because one of the criminal acts you stated occurred in the video literally can only happen in California (as far as I know). Washington has different laws -- you will never hear that was "assault without gbi" or "battery" unless you're reading incredibly lovely coverage.

edit: whoops, that could be read way more condescending than I meant. sorry, phone posting.

Fair enough, but anywhere it was a crime. And anywhere it doesn't matter because it happened 20 minutes before the shooting.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

fosborb posted:

Its just called 4th Degree Assault in WA, same thing

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
lol kids at Evergreen are saying Safeway should get sued because they should know not to call the cops when black dudes steal because the cops will shoot them. "People steal all the time, the store shouldn't call the cops on them".

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

we get that you hate your college but no one else care that you do

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

lol kids at Evergreen are saying Safeway should get sued because they should know not to call the cops when black dudes steal because the cops will shoot them. "People steal all the time, the store shouldn't call the cops on them".
Dear r/legaladvice, a store called the cops on two guys for stealing and the cops shot them, can I sue?

I am going to laugh pretty hard if Evergreen State burns down a Safeway.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

lol kids at Evergreen
Youre overplaying this, since... you know... you are one of them.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I am going to laugh pretty hard if Evergreen State burns down a Safeway.
Can you even get an uncontrolled fire in Olympia? I think the rain spirits have forebade it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

FRINGE posted:

Can you even get an uncontrolled fire in Olympia? I think the rain spirits have forebade it.
Does gluten-free bread even burn?

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

joeburz posted:

we get that you hate your college but no one else care that you do

plz the word "hate" triggers me.

FRINGE posted:

Youre overplaying this, since... you know... you are one of them.

Uncool dude, it's only rained like a quarter of the day today

Dusty Baker 2 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 23, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
nm's a PD and is predisposed to gently caress the police so uh give him some slack hth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I for one stand by my lovely lawyer joke.

Killmaster
Jun 18, 2002
Not much said here that hasn't already been discussed here, but I thought this was a good perspective from the legal profession.

http://harvardlawreview.org/2015/04/policing-mass-imprisonment-and-the-failure-of-american-lawyers/

quote:

Lawyers bear some responsibility for the gulf between how we talk about our society and how it is. We have failed to do what lawyers are taught to do: take fundamental shared values and help society translate those principles into results through rigorous argument based on evidence and logic.

I’d like to divide this intellectual failure into two components. First, lawyers have failed properly to catalog, appreciate, and interrogate the negative costs of how we police and how we jail. Second, we have failed to scrutinize the purported benefits, both because of a bizarre undertheorization of the amount of harm actually caused by what we popularly call “crime” and because of a scandalously underdeveloped account of whether caging humans leads to less “crime.”

In order for the legal system to unleash police on poor communities such that the United States came to imprison black people at a rate six times that of South Africa during the height of Apartheid,4× it was necessary for popular culture and legal culture to develop and nurture serious intellectual pathologies. So deeply have these pathologies captured the legal elite that the wholesale normalization of this brutality has become arguably the chief daily bureaucratic function of most of us who work in the system.

A. WE HAVEN’T CONFRONTED THE SUFFERING THAT WE INFLICT
Imagine one of the thousands of sentencing hearings every week in which a person is charged with possessing marijuana plants or selling rocks of cocaine. The prosecutor stands to address the court and produces a wheel. The prosecutor proposes as a punishment that the judge spin the wheel to determine the defendant’s fate. The prosecutor declares that, based on the way that her office has constructed the wheel, there is a one-in-ten chance that the defendant’s punishment is that he will be taken into the next room and raped.5× Or, to take a slightly different example, consider a judge ordering that a defendant be whipped in public or poked thirty-seven times with a sharp knife in non-life-threatening ways. It is likely that lawyers and judges would come up with persuasive arguments against such punishments. But this is essentially what we do when, in doctrinal silence, we allow people to be sentenced to American jails and prisons.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

hobbesmaster posted:

I for one stand by my lovely lawyer joke.

I lol'd if that helps.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

"We are now providing additional training on what to do when you have to go to the bathroom," Capitol Police Chief Kim C Dine told Congress.

The Capitol Police don't know how to poop correctly.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
back to front?

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

quote:

He said there was no excuse for leaving guns behind in toilets and more lockers are being installed to store firearms.

A first-time offender is typically suspended for five days but this could be increased to 30 days, he said. There could be sackings for individuals who re-offend.

"I would be remiss if I did not say that the officers involved in these recent weapons cases reported in the media in no way intended to leave their weapons unattended.

What kind of loving moron leaves a gun behind after taking a dump?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tezcat posted:

What kind of loving moron leaves a gun behind after taking a dump?
A kind of loving moron police departments sometimes employ, is all I can say.

Killmaster posted:

Not much said here that hasn't already been discussed here, but I thought this was a good perspective from the legal profession.

http://harvardlawreview.org/2015/04/policing-mass-imprisonment-and-the-failure-of-american-lawyers/
I like this a lot.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 23, 2015

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Killmaster posted:

Yeah, this is really good.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

A kind of loving moron police departments sometimes employ, is all I can say.

DC Metropolitan police is different than the Capitol Police.

Th Capitol Police is a federal law enforcement agency for the Capitol and its functions and members, and is wayyyyyyyyyyy harder to get into and requires degrees and poo poo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vahakyla posted:

Th Capitol Police is a federal law enforcement agency for the Capitol and its functions and members, and is wayyyyyyyyyyy harder to get into and requires degrees and poo poo.
So it stands to reason that a normal police department has even MORE people leaving their guns in public toilets, and we just don't know it?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Kudos to the quick-thinker who took this picture for us all to laugh at/be horrified by.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So it stands to reason that a normal police department has even MORE people leaving their guns in public toilets, and we just don't know it?
Just do a Google search for "Officer/Deputy leaves gun" and see how many stories pop up.

Pay close attention to the punishments handed out. They vary from nothing to dismissal, and average a short suspension. Now think about what the punishment would be for one of us filthy civilians if we say, got super drunk and left a loaded handgun in a public park or got distracted texting and left a rifle in an elementary school parking lot.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 23, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah, this is really good.

It is not bad, but this bugged me:

quote:

We must also work to create better models for legal careers, using law schools to help create well-resourced spaces for graduates to work together as a new vanguard of lawyers who make a living by vindicating the rights of marginalized people until a system predicated on those violations can no longer exist.
This implies there is some shortage of people who want to be PDs. There isn't. There were 900 applicants for 3 positions at my last job in a lovely location with one of the lowest pay rates in the urban part of the state. The problem is a pure lack of funding because when we hired 3 lawyers we probably could have used another 20-30.
However, there is no political will and cutting the PD's office has no political consequences. Cut the sheriff's office and well you might as well have killed a dozen children.

It also does a poor job of exploring the motivations of the elected judges and elected DAs and ignores the complicity of the media in sabotaging anything that isn't tough on crime.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jarmak posted:

Are you loving serious? Not even half way up the page:

Your mischaracterization of his position isn't the same as what he said. The north hollywood shooters were a prime example of when it is ok to use deadly force. Merely robbing a bank isn't though.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
In that 99% of bank robberies these days just involve the guy passing the teller a note and no one around noticing, I agree.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Your mischaracterization of his position isn't the same as what he said. The north hollywood shooters were a prime example of when it is ok to use deadly force. Merely robbing a bank isn't though.

What the gently caress? Are you not understanding that the North Hollywood shootout is the bank robbery he's specifically talking about in that series of posts?

edit: again:

quote:

Who gives a gently caress if heavily armed guys rob a bank. They didn't take hostages, they were trying to get away but since they were stealing the physical form of our god, dollar bills, they need to die because god forbid they get away with that FDIC insured money. They continued the shootout in a loving neighborhood. Yeah they shot first so back off since they were so heavily armored that service pistols weren't going to do poo poo. No, better just start spraying bullets everywhere and risk getting themselves killed because holy poo poo the money!

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 23, 2015

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.
Michael Brelo decision expected at 10 AM EST

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2015/05/verdict_in_cleveland_police_of.html#incart_big-photo

quote:

Brelo faces two counts of voluntary manslaughter in connection with a Nov. 29, 2012 police chase and shooting that ended in the deaths of Timothy Russell and Malissa Williams.

Thirteen police officers fired their guns in the shooting, but prosecutors argued throughout Brelo's month-long trial he was the only one to jump on the hood of Russell's 1979 Chevy Malibu and fire straight down at the pair.

Because Brelo waived his right to a jury, O'Donnell has rendered the verdict, and is expected to read part of it in court.

The local media has been hyping up the potential for a riot for weeks now (for what it is worth I think that's unlikely). There was even supposed to be some sort of protester/counter protester showdown this morning (before knowledge that the verdict was known to be announced today).

Khorre
Jan 28, 2009
http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2015/05/michael_brelo_verdict_watch_li_2.html
Verdict reading in Brelo case in Cleveland. Where the officer jumped on the hood of the car and fired into the windshield, because he 'feared for his life'.

Not Guilty.

Khorre fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 23, 2015

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Cops can do whatever they want

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

This lawyer :allears:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
How can you be fearing for your life while jumping on top of the hood of the car with the occupants you are in fear of?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
What a bunch of dogshit.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Literally makes no sense. GGNORE

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Because you don`t fully know what`s going on because everyone's too close, firing guns and yelling and screaming?

I understand the verdict by the word of the law, but at the same time it means that all of the officers should face discipline and that the department needs to nail their asses to the wall.

tl;dr: The ruling makes sense to the word of the law, but the law itself is hosed.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Let me tell you about my favorite Al Pacino movie

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
The officer's attorney is an absolute bastard.

E: attacking the ACLU and civil rights lawyers in general.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'm sure that didn't help things.

E: Just as a side, when's the last time a Prosecutor's Office actually won a high profile case?

Boomer The Cannon fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 23, 2015

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

I guess that explains why they're so loving cranky when they're forced to work as glorified crossing guards around the Capitol.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I understand the verdict by the word of the law, but at the same time it means that all of the officers should face discipline and that the department needs to nail their asses to the wall.
I think 60-odd officers were disciplined. The DoJ already issued a report damning the Cleveland PD. Wouldn't be surprised if Brelo gets shitcanned after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

No passive voice this time around from the NYT. Let's see how long this headline lasts unedited.

• Locked thread