Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ninurta posted:

Tosses Tribe Garlic Hummus in the trash. Well, gently caress. I hope I didn't eat Soylent Green.

He died over a year ago. Any bits have long since been rinsed out by his replacement cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

toplitzin posted:

Did no one notice this???

"Edmund Fitzgerald, a spokesman for OSHA"

Well hey, the legend lives on from the Chippewa on down.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Ninurta posted:

Tosses Tribe Garlic Hummus in the trash. Well, gently caress. I hope I didn't eat Soylent Green.

dude free protein

e: actually more like dude protein

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
Well, at least the guy not on the ladder is holding on to it, so that when gently caress nuts plummets to his death he will not die alone.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

How strong do you have to be to lift a ladder and a ~200 pound man on said ladder from falling to their death (maybe) with just one arm and no help from your back. My guess is hella strong but I'm no scientist.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Marshmallow Blue posted:

How strong do you have to be to lift a ladder and a ~200 pound man on said ladder from falling to their death (maybe) with just one arm and no help from your back. My guess is hella strong but I'm no scientist.
The ladder is vertically constrained at the top and base. He is (pretending) to balance it to keep it horizontally constrained while ladder guy gets into place.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

zedprime posted:

The ladder is vertically constrained at the top and base. He is (pretending) to balance it to keep it horizontally constrained while ladder guy gets into place.

This seems like it might actually work (not be safe though) if the other guy was bracing the feet of the ladder instead of pulling it up and back, which is the direction of force most likely to make it slip off the wall

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

This seems like it might actually work (not be safe though) if the other guy was bracing the feet of the ladder instead of pulling it up and back, which is the direction of force most likely to make it slip off the wall

Yeah the ladder isn't going anywhere. My concern is that the rails really aren't designed to take a load at that angle, so I can easily see a rail(s) buckling from the downward force being applied at a more direct angle. If it had been an extension ladder, I think it might be safer since those are designed to be used at a variety of pitches (including horizontal as part of scaffolding).

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

A good way to keep power lines up

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
"You used metal rakes right?"
"Yes"
"good"

*I am not an electrician.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Marshmallow Blue posted:

"You used metal rakes right?"
"Yes"
"good"

*I am not an electrician.

That's a strange way to spell plastic.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

having never used a wood chipper before, is there a reason why the horizontal loading ones aren't sloped?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

This came up earlier but he's using it properly. Pulling down the stop bar with his hands.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Darth123123 posted:

This came up earlier but he's using it properly. Pulling down the stop bar with his hands.

Why not just push it in with a stick? The stop bar might keep him from losing a leg, but it still seems likely he'd lose a toe.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Canemacar posted:

Why not just push it in with a stick? The stop bar might keep him from losing a leg, but it still seems likely he'd lose a toe.

What is he going to lose a toe from, touching a log with his shoe?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Forer posted:

Related story, Fermentation tank where yeast goes to chew on sugars for bread and fart out co2 gets a hole in it. Tightly enclosed space that a person needed to get in to weld.

No points for guessing that the acting manager told some guy to hop in the low oxygen environment to do welding or he was fired.

I'm sure that i"ve heard it in this thread first, but the chain locker on ships (where the anchor chain is coiled up and stored) is treated with some measure of care, as the chain oxidizes so fast that the O2 level drops really low if the locker stays sealed, before you realize it you're in the back of the chain room and passing out and oops you bonked your head and you're dead now.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm sure that i"ve heard it in this thread first, but the chain locker on ships (where the anchor chain is coiled up and stored) is treated with some measure of care, as the chain oxidizes so fast that the O2 level drops really low if the locker stays sealed, before you realize it you're in the back of the chain room and passing out and oops you bonked your head and you're dead now.

"Killed by chain oxidation" is up there with "death by potato gas" as a lovely and unexpected way to go.

http://www.skuld.com/upload/Product...in%20locker.pdf

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

uPen posted:

What is he going to lose a toe from, touching a log with his shoe?

Sticking it too close to the sharp pieces of metal moving very fast and with great force?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Canemacar posted:

Sticking it too close to the sharp pieces of metal moving very fast and with great force?

"I'll be careful. How dangerous could a machine called a wood chipper be?"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Canemacar posted:

Ok let's go back. Do you know what STOP* bar does?

* there's a hint in here

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i assume STOP stands for 'severe trauma or paralysis'

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mozi posted:

i assume STOP stands for 'severe trauma or paralysis'

Getting colder

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Darth123123 posted:

* there's a hint in here

If the default state is “shred items inserted” and I’m required to hold something in place to make it stay turned off, I’m still going to be a little wary of sticking my foot in it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Darth123123 posted:

* there's a hint in here
Have you ever thought through the chain of events? Because its a little late to let go after you lose your toes.

The stop bar is in case you are caught by errant tree limbs. Body parts entering the hopper is not advised.

e.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

having never used a wood chipper before, is there a reason why the horizontal loading ones aren't sloped?
The horizontal ones are made for long tree branches or trunks that you don't want to lift any further off the ground than necessary. That picture is technically an example of wrong tool for the job for feeding small hunks of wood but landscapers work on such a small margin its hard to be that angry, and its generally fine as long as you feed with a 2x4 or broom you don't particularly like.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 22, 2015

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

zedprime posted:

Have you ever thought through the chain of events? Because its a little late to let go after you lose your toes.

The stop bar is in case you are caught by errant tree limbs. Body parts entering the hopper is not advised.

Pretty much. If you're putting parts of your body into the "chops things into little pieces" machine, you already done hosed up.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That's like putting a pistol to your temple and pulling the trigger, while yelling "ITS OK, THE SAFETY IS ON."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
A ship's anchor chain loses its brake and goes into runaway mode. If the old Norse gods wanted a chainsaw, they'd make it from something like this. Too bad smoke obscures the end. Look at how big the links are and guess at the amount of energy involved in the moving chain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAcfaMDcY68

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
cant remember if this one was posted

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
NOO you DONT understand. Read it again. STOP BAR. What can go wrong? What man would not cram all his extremeties into a gigantic metal shredder as it does gods work and insist on it being safe because there is a foolproof STOP BAR. It even says foolproof in the manual what can go wrong!

hahaha

5er
Jun 1, 2000

reagan posted:

cant remember if this one was posted

That one made me queasy just looking at it.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.

Darth123123 posted:

* there's a hint in here

It's more of a PAUSE bar, really.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure the chipper does not turn back on the instant you let go of the stop bar. If it did, that'd be incredibly bad design.

That said, you shouldn't ever have to stick extremities into there, at least not without completely locking out and tagging out the system in some way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Relying on the stop bar to save you when you stick your foot in a woodchipper is like relying on a fuse to save you when you use a blowdryer in the tub.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

A good way to keep power lines up

ghetto electric fence

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

midnightclimax posted:

dude free protein

e: actually more like free dude protein

Fixed that for you.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Today I learned that no one in gbs knows what a clutch is.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Today I learned that no one in gbs knows what a clutch is.

If it were a 'go' bar instead of a 'stop' bar it would be a slightly less bad idea, but feeding yourself into a running wood chipper is still dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A ship's anchor chain loses its brake and goes into runaway mode. If the old Norse gods wanted a chainsaw, they'd make it from something like this. Too bad smoke obscures the end. Look at how big the links are and guess at the amount of energy involved in the moving chain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAcfaMDcY68

You can also calculate the speed and length of the chain by counting the white links!

I have no idea how it works though.

• Locked thread