Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

KodiakRS posted:

What's the safety record on those things like these days? I remember they used to have a propensity for crashing but I don't know if that's stopped now that they've been in service for a while.

Well, poo poo: http://www.kitv.com/news/aircraft-crash-reported-at-bellows-air-force-station/33072686

Butt Reactor posted:

also, I'm ORD-based for the next several months so we should grab a beer sometime and bitch about work.

I'd love to. My line this month is mostly non commutable and has 11 days off with 76 hours of credit. I need someone to bitch about work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Currently working on adding an acronym to AWSEFT's excellent OP/goon pilot list which isn't currently there: AGI.

I don't know if it's because I took some education classes at Riddle, but the FOI written has been surprisingly easy to study for so far. Hoping to knock that written out ASAP.

Next up will be the AGI study guide (which is apparently CFI, minus the Sport Pilot stuff in the Gleim), which I'm expecting to be somewhat familiar. I've tackled a couple of the sections with the fewest questions because I can't sleep right now and...some of those weight and balance graphics....:wtc:. I obviously get the more basic weight and balance calculations but have never seen the lectures about "If this weight is on one side of the board, then do all this math to find out how far the ones on the other side should be slid over to make them balance on the fulcrum" before. They look like they'll be fun to try when I'm not half-asleep.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Kinda surprised my 2009 Lightspeed zulus appear to be only worth about $435-550 now based on Ebay. I have the QC15s and was thinking about getting a TSO'd uflymic. Although that lightspeed PFX looks nice, but I'm not sure I'll need as much noise cancelling going forward and I really want a lighter headset that takes up less room while travelling. Still, I think I only paid like $700 for the zulu so I guess if I sell it after 1500 hours for $500 that's not too bad on depreciation...
Clarity Aloft tempting as gently caress as always too.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 19, 2015

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

The Slaughter posted:

Have you tried any minimalist wire frame headsets before? There's something really liberating about not having a full ear cup and fat headband. I use the QT Halo headset (not TSO) and it's just so amazing. I almost forget I'm wearing it, except the microphone tickles my beard.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

The Slaughter posted:

Kinda surprised my 2009 Lightspeed zulus appear to be only worth about $435-550 now based on Ebay. I have the QC15s and was thinking about getting a TSO'd uflymic. Although that lightspeed PFX looks nice, but I'm not sure I'll need as much noise cancelling going forward and I really want a lighter headset that takes up less room while travelling. Still, I think I only paid like $700 for the zulu so I guess if I sell it after 1500 hours for $500 that's not too bad on depreciation...

That's really not bad for electronics depreciation. Have you looked at the Lightspeed Mach 1 with custom ear molds? I recently bought a refurbished set on ebay for around $225. They are horrible with the stock foam/rubber ear plugs, but with a set of custom ear plugs they equal out to about 30-40db of noise cancellation across most of the frequency spectrum. It's great if you wear glasses. Every other set I've tried felt like I had a vice clamp on my head. They even allow you to share music across the intercom with a 3.5mm input jack. As well as make calls off the mic and isolate a call to just your headset. The calls/music stop when you press the PTT.
edit: The custom ear molds cost about $150.

Entone fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 19, 2015

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

KodiakRS posted:

I'd love to. My line this month is mostly non commutable and has 11 days off with 76 hours of credit. I need someone to bitch about work with.

Sent you a PM

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
So what's required to become a DPE to give ATP checkrides?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vttuonfu2BM

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
It's the first time I actually paid attention to one of those since I was like, eight years old, so good job on that, Delta.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Surprised the Feds didn't flip out about making safety a joke or some dumb poo poo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

Surprised the Feds didn't flip out about making safety a joke or some dumb poo poo.

Fun *deltalina finger wag* is not allowed on this or any FAA regulated flight.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
That was actually fantastic. Good on Delta!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Their best one so far has been the 80's style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLte6uLMi1g

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Air New Zealand's Hobbit-themed safety video is much better, because I didn't feel embarrassed for every single person involved in its production.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtyfiPIHsIg

I like this one too. The song is just too drat catchy.

And one FA performs along with it live!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1TwudcTlc

:monar:

I wonder if these preproduced videos have to be approved by the FAA or what.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

The Slaughter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtyfiPIHsIg

I like this one too. The song is just too drat catchy.

And one FA performs along with it live!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB1TwudcTlc

:monar:

I wonder if these preproduced videos have to be approved by the FAA or what.

The FAA only specifies what items have to be covered in the briefings (125.327 if you're really bored), but doesn't specify how the briefings are conducted as long as those items are covered. Airlines are required to publish a procedure for doing the briefings in their flight attendant manuals (which are signed off on by the FAA), but my guess is that procedure often isn't a lot more specific than "these items must be mentioned in the briefing".

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

azflyboy posted:

The FAA only specifies what items have to be covered in the briefings (125.327 if you're really bored), but doesn't specify how the briefings are conducted as long as those items are covered. Airlines are required to publish a procedure for doing the briefings in their flight attendant manuals (which are signed off on by the FAA), but my guess is that procedure often isn't a lot more specific than "these items must be mentioned in the briefing".

And the likelihood of something getting forgotten from a safety briefing goes down dramatically when all the cabin crew has to do is press play.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Is it a far that they have to give a brief to emergency exit pax and find out if you're "willing and able" to assist with a "verbal yes"? Cause for the first time ever I was on a flight where they didn't the other day.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Didn't you select when you booked the tickets you'd be willing?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That doesn't prove you can hear and follow crew member instructions in English. (Or whatever that phrase is)

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Slaughter posted:

Is it a far that they have to give a brief to emergency exit pax and find out if you're "willing and able" to assist with a "verbal yes"? Cause for the first time ever I was on a flight where they didn't the other day.

Some airlines are having gate agents ask now when you board with an exit row ticket. Especially since the gate agent can more easily move you to a new seat (assuming any are free)

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

The ask at the gate to reduce the likelihood of having to change someone seat once their already on the airplane. Boarding is not normally the smoothest of processes and making someone randomly change their seat will inevitably turn into a flow blown clusterfuck. Doubly so if they don't speak English . I think they still have to ask on the aircraft though.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
No, I didn't select it with the tickets. I wasn't assigned. I can explain why it happened... I was on a Delta flight from CHS-ATL on an RJ then ATL-MKE. We landed a few min early, I had about 45 minutes to connect which meant I got to the gate about 25 min before departure (atlanta is big) as they were boarding but they told me to talk to the gate for a seat. Got the gate, they were already boarding, my coworker who I travelled with was on the screen with a seat assignment as cleared but my name wasn't on there at all.. But agent made an announcement about all standbys are cleared just come board or something to that effect. So I go up there, she can't find me at all, and says I'm not on the flight... and basically tells me "I can't deal with this right now, let me board everybody else". (in my head, I'm seeing all the carry-on space disappearing). At 10 min to departure with everybody except my coworker and I boarded, she finally goes back in the computer and can't seem to get me back on the flight I was never supposed to be taken off of... makes a phone call, 5 more min go by, and she finally has a boarding pass for me which she scans and I board... it was exit row middle... so I board and take my seat. I assume they had already briefed the exit rows and failed to notice the new passenger was in the exit row and/or didn't care. I didn't go run and call the FAA or something though, cause who cares, but that was the only time I haven't been asked.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am frequently not asked. I'd say it's 50/50.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

No, I didn't select it with the tickets. I wasn't assigned. I can explain why it happened... I was on a Delta flight from CHS-ATL on an RJ then ATL-MKE. We landed a few min early, I had about 45 minutes to connect which meant I got to the gate about 25 min before departure (atlanta is big) as they were boarding but they told me to talk to the gate for a seat. Got the gate, they were already boarding, my coworker who I travelled with was on the screen with a seat assignment as cleared but my name wasn't on there at all.. But agent made an announcement about all standbys are cleared just come board or something to that effect. So I go up there, she can't find me at all, and says I'm not on the flight... and basically tells me "I can't deal with this right now, let me board everybody else". (in my head, I'm seeing all the carry-on space disappearing). At 10 min to departure with everybody except my coworker and I boarded, she finally goes back in the computer and can't seem to get me back on the flight I was never supposed to be taken off of... makes a phone call, 5 more min go by, and she finally has a boarding pass for me which she scans and I board... it was exit row middle... so I board and take my seat. I assume they had already briefed the exit rows and failed to notice the new passenger was in the exit row and/or didn't care. I didn't go run and call the FAA or something though, cause who cares, but that was the only time I haven't been asked.

Agent made me wait
Gave me exit row seating
Did not ask questions

There, your whole post in hiaku form.

( :) )

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Nice summary, thanks
Sometimes I am long winded
A good reminder

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Any tips studying for the commercial written? Doesn't seem nearly as daunting as the instrument one was.

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 23, 2015

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The CPL is all about being chill and having fun. Just relax go do some turns about a point and then study for the test with a six pack.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Any tips studying for the commercial written? Doesn't seem nearly as daunting as the instrument one was.

http://sheppardair.com/commercial-pilot.htm

Did I mention Sheppard Air?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Delta has done several of the Easter egg safety videos. I read they were going to update them frequently to keep people involved. One of them was a Pop Up Video parody.

azflyboy posted:

Independence Air (remember them?) had at least four different recorded safety demos for their CRJs, which could be heard on their website when they were in operation. One was a political-themed demo with James Carville and Mary Matalin presenting information for their respective sides of the plane, corresponding to their political affiliation ("I'll be talking safety info for those of you on the Left side of the plane"). Mia Hamm did another one. I forget what who did the other two.

Song had a new audio demonstration every month. The one I heard in March 2005 was Irish themed. I think I recorded it and can find a way to upload it if someone really wants to hear it.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

How about they take a page from this thread and use haiku?

Fasten your seatbelt
If the mask drops, put it on
If we crash, get out

Your bag is too big
You'll need to have it checked
please stop freaking out

Phone in airplane mode?
I saw you only locked the screen
Stop being an rear end

Can you read English?
Can you understand English?
Get out of that seat

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I used this and took the test the day I started studying. Got an 88. I recommend if all you want is to, you know, pass.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I like Gleim, personally.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

OP update, I'm loving instrument rated :toot: :toot: :toot:

If anyone cares I can do a write up tomorrow. It's still sinking in. I can't believe it

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Congrats Rickety!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

OP update, I'm loving instrument rated :toot: :toot: :toot:

If anyone cares I can do a write up tomorrow. It's still sinking in. I can't believe it

Congrats! IFR makes flying so much less stressful.

Used them for my IFR written, was planning on it again for commercial.

Took a practice test cold this morning without any real studying and scored an 83%, even with getting all the flight plan questions wrong since I know how to flight plan and don't feel like wasting time figuring those out on a practice test.

Figure a couple of days and I'll be solidly in the 90s, hoping to get it knocked out this coming Friday or early in the week after that.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Congrats! IFR makes flying so much less stressful.

Really?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I like going IFR in busy, congested airspaces. You don't have to worry about bravo or anything, and obviously the controllers are going to make a better effort to separate you from VFR traffic although if it's VMC you still need to have eyes on a swivel.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah I can't wait to just file IFR everywhere. Just cause I can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

I like VFR so I don't have to worry about all that pesky take off planning.

IFR makes you feel like a real pilot though. No clouds/icing/airport/atc/equipment restrictions are gonna stop me!

• Locked thread