Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

qbert posted:

The hype caused me to buy a 2nd pack.

Surgical Extraction. :(

This is why gambling is bad.

I opened three packs, Sunforger, Wolfbriar Elemental and All Sun's Dawn.

I completely agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

10 boxes of MMA we drafted/sealed/pack warred/whatever. 1 Confidant, a few Cliques, a few Cryptics, and a foil Shackles. Lots of Sarkhans. Lots of dragons. The only other notable foil was a Blood Moon. The first box we drafted had Jugan and Sarkhan for mythics.

10. Boxes.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Did two drafts, did poorly in both. Opened Mox Opal, All is Dust, Cryptic Command, got Remand, and some peasant cube foils like vines of vastwood, apostle's blessing, burst lightning, pillory of the sleepless, electrolyze, mortarpod. Can't complain. Just need to turn the Opal and Cryptic into cash or trade value for a 'Goyf.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

qbert posted:

The hype caused me to buy a 2nd pack.

Surgical Extraction. :(

This is why gambling is bad.

But winning the Goyf lottery is also fun.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Drafted a pretty killer BW spirits deck but I scrubbed out anyways because I decided to keep too many hands without the 3 Nameless Inversion I drafted. Deck was Grindy value as gently caress but just didn't have a lot of reach unless I was able to recur NI reliably. Needed a better finisher of some kind other than swinging for 4 after getting a Waxmane lock going.

Oh well, the format was more fun than I expected and goddamn does Spirits get hosed by Necrogenesis holy poo poo.

Only rare I played was Endrek Sahr, who I never got out once in three rounds. Opened a Clique and a Twin though.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Snacksmaniac posted:

Paddy's Pub in south Philly.

Don't post next-season spoilers please.
I want Charlie as a Judge an expert in Storm Crow Law

Toshimo posted:

Interesting stuff.

Dang, I never had any idea how the game worked, I had just seen a couple of cards in the back of InQuest. Thanks for the write-up, that was a nice read. :)

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

Stopped by my LGS and grabbed 3 packs. Lodestone Golem, Noble Hierarch, Kozilek. Felt good.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Went 3-1 with a B/W spirits deck. I opened Midnight Banshee, then got passed two Long-Forgotten Gohei. Pack 2 I got a Kozilek and since I already had a Dread Drone and an Eldrazi Temple, I figured what the hell. Deck performed pretty well. Waxmane is still sweet, Midnight Banshee is nuts, and the format overall seemed pretty slow. I was able to get to enough mana to cast Kozilek pretty easy. Only match loss was two a red/blue deck after getting stuck on 2 lands, finally casting Swans of Bryn Argol and my opponent bolting it and refilling his hand.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I cracked a box of MM15, and it was hosed up how good it was. Foil clique, foil emrakul, bob, kiki jiki, cryptic, tezz, a playset of remands, a playset of smash to smithereens, all is dust, fulminator mage, spellskite, foil ghost dad, non foil ghost dad, lodestone golem. Insane for 180 bucks.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Skipped out on doing the draft because holy poo poo $40 for a draft??? Later I decided, what the hey, let's grab a single $10 pack to be part of the experience and help support the store.

Pulled a Hellkite Charger and nothing of value, not even a Ravnica Karoo for Amulet Bloom. I handed the entire pack contents to a friend and vowed to buy no more packs.

Never buy packs to crack, kids.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I cracked a box of MM15, and it was hosed up how good it was. Foil clique, foil emrakul, bob, kiki jiki, cryptic, tezz, a playset of remands, a playset of smash to smithereens, all is dust, fulminator mage, spellskite, foil ghost dad, non foil ghost dad, lodestone golem. Insane for 180 bucks.

A lot of the fears on how lovely the set value is seem to have been allayed by how many foils of valuable cards seem to be showing up. I took a pretty mediocre box value to ~300 just with a foil Bob by itself. Its boom or bust for sure, but its kind of like gambling on dollar slots - feels good when you win!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

A lot of the fears on how lovely the set value is seem to have been allayed by how many foils of valuable cards seem to be showing up.

When you say this, is there any evidence (even tentative) that foils of valuable cards, or foils generally, are more common than usual? 'Cause that would be pretty cool if so.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

When you say this, is there any evidence (even tentative) that foils of valuable cards, or foils generally, are more common than usual? 'Cause that would be pretty cool if so.

No, not at all. Its completely anecdotal, for sure. But I saw a foil Goyf, foil Hierarch, and several others just at a ~36 person draft, and I personally pulled a foil Dark Confidant and a foil Spellskite, etc. Just seems like there's more of them than the simulators that people use would have expected. :shrug:

I mean foils generally are more common since every pack has a foil.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean foils generally are more common since every pack has a foil.

Ahh, I completely forgot about this point. That alone would obviously increase the number of foil whatevers, assuming the proportions of rarity among foils hasn't changed. Thanks for the elaboration.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

A lot of the fears on how lovely the set value is seem to have been allayed by how many foils of valuable cards seem to be showing up. I took a pretty mediocre box value to ~300 just with a foil Bob by itself. Its boom or bust for sure, but its kind of like gambling on dollar slots - feels good when you win!
I agree completely. At ~$200 I think the value is there. It's weird; some commentators were saying that the foils don't change the EV because of garbage foils, but come on, there are staples that people like in foil at all rarities. Unless I'm mistaken, TCG player is showing a smaller foil mark up than most pack foils, but the demand will out pace the supply in the longterm.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Drafted affinity and went 3-1, losing in the top 4. Very high variation deck. It was awesome when I drew well and embarrassing when I didn't...

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I drafted G/R control/ramp/domain and man that decked performed awesome. Went 3-1, only loss was to a BR aggro deck (he mulled to 5 game 3, I had a good hand but then drew just lands. game 2 i hosed up). I had 2 pelakka wurms and an ulamog's crusher (these just win the game on their own), a couple of nest invaders and kozilek's predators, some of the landcycling cards and a wayfarer's bauble, the domain knight and phoenix and an etched oracle. And a Kiki-Jiki and mulldrifter. The deck seems really solid if it comes together.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bonus posted:

I drafted G/R control/ramp/domain and man that decked performed awesome. Went 3-1, only loss was to a BR aggro deck (he mulled to 5 game 3, I had a good hand but then drew just lands. game 2 i hosed up). I had 2 pelakka wurms and an ulamog's crusher (these just win the game on their own), a couple of nest invaders and kozilek's predators, some of the landcycling cards and a wayfarer's bauble, the domain knight and phoenix and an etched oracle. And a Kiki-Jiki and mulldrifter. The deck seems really solid if it comes together.

This is the first positive response to the domain deck.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mcmagic posted:

Drafted affinity and went 3-1, losing in the top 4. Very high variation deck. It was awesome when I drew well and embarrassing when I didn't...

The archetype seems completely dead to RB - I had an absolutely wonderful time bolting their early drops :allears:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I've played it as well. The only issue is you really have a dependency on getting strong fixing and solid domain cards (eg. Skyreach Manta). If you do get solid stuff, though, you can run people over.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
The Legacy SCG open has just started streaming on SCG's twitch channel, if anyone's interested. Love this format.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Considering most people saying "don't play domain it sucks" were saying so before the set even came out, don't listen to them. Draft what you want.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Went 3-1 last night with Sidisi Whip. R1 was against 5c dragons, which near as I can tell from playing against it does nothing for 6 turns, plays Dragonlord Dromoka, then watches it die unceremoniously to a murderous cut. R2 was against UW heroic, which I just outraced by powering out back to back doomwake giants g1 and getting a nighthowler on sidisi g3. R3 was against mono-B humans; he won g1 but had to eat a loss for playing 59 cards main (with the judge sitting right next to us), then lost g2 because double nighthowler into drown in sorrow is brutal. R4 was against esper dragons, which I lost 2-0 because I couldn't draw any lands at all ever.

My opponent opted for a single pack of MM15 instead of taking the 5 packs of anything else, I got 3 packs and opened thunderbreak regent, hidden dragonslayer, and zurgo bellringer. Then a kid offers me a Goblin Rabblemaster for "literally anything, I'll take a common" and so I fan out the stuff I got from packs and he takes the forest. :psyduck: It's a cool forest and the rabblemaster is LP, but I'm still a bit confused by it. He said it's because he hates red and never wants to play it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Found on tumblr.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yep. Gear heart has always had to fight tooth and nail to get the deck name published correctly. You might as well scrub the deck name box out since they don't respect it anyway. And it's telling it's "archetype" and not deck name like on WOTC forms.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Serperoth posted:

Found on tumblr.
That was a whipping.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Patrick Chapin, 2013 posted:

Andrew Tompkins proving that Legacy is like an onion. Lots of layers and tears

That highlight was perfection.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Yep. Gear heart has always had to fight tooth and nail to get the deck name published correctly. You might as well scrub the deck name box out since they don't respect it anyway. And it's telling it's "archetype" and not deck name like on WOTC forms.

How hard did they have to fight for tooth and nail

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well 9 for Entwine is pretty pricy.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I put my modern deck name as mono-green control and TCGPlayer changed it to Tooth and Nail.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Bryant Cook's decks are always so lovely.

Turn 1: Plays a signed beta Underground Sea, casting a signed foil Mercadian Masques Brainstorm

Opponent Gitaxian Probes, revealing foil signed bloodstained mire, another signed beta Underground Sea, 2 signed Judge Foil Burning Wish, another brainstorm, signed lotus petal. my god

edit: forgot the judge foil dark rit

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 23, 2015

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I did it, guys. I won the lottery. Pack 3, Karn Lib, foil 'Goyf. "Judge! I need a new pack, this one's broken." Mead Hall allowed me to buy a new one so I didn't have to drop.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

I put my modern deck name as mono-green control and TCGPlayer changed it to Tooth and Nail.

I really want to play Tooth and Nail in Modern. Is that a thing?

Can it be a thing? Are there creatures degenerately strong enough to make it a thing?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Can it be a thing? Are there creatures degenerately strong enough to make it a thing?

Emrakul + Xenagod is an immediate win. I know at least one deck uses that as its wincon but I forget which.

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.

Count Bleck posted:

Mikeaus the Unhallowed + Triskelion?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

that green Nykthos deck uses it sometimes but it also uses genesis wave and primal command instead sometimes

that deck also splashes with a single Stomping Ground for Kessig Wolf Run since prime times can go get it easily

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tubgoat posted:

I did it, guys. I won the lottery. Pack 3, Karn Lib, foil 'Goyf. "Judge! I need a new pack, this one's broken." Mead Hall allowed me to buy a new one so I didn't have to drop.
That's pretty cool of them, but they're always really accommodating (assuming we're thinking of the same Mead Hall).

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

There's a deck which wins when it gets to 4 mana, so if you can get to 9 before it gets to 4, you might be able to do okay in modern.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

They're susceptible to different kinds of hate though. If you try to put twin on your exarch and someone has dismember and open mana, it's not going to go well for you. But if you tooth and nail into an emrakul and xenagos, their dismember doesn't do much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
This is how I would brew for my modern meta (which is strangely devoid of splinter twin and has cycled from abzan into a bunch of loving aggro decks, burn, and blue-tron)

4 Overgrown Battlement
2 Vine Trellis
4 Wall of Roots
4 Search for Tommorow
3 Explore
2 Time Warp

4 Obstinate Baloth
4 Primeval Titan
2 Emrakul
2 Xenagos
4 Tooth and Nail

25 Lands including halimar depths, khalni gardens, a singleton stomping ground and singleton kessig wolf run

And I still don't think it's great.

• Locked thread