Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
Any opinions on the Acer K272HULbmiidp? Newegg has it at $299 this weekend.

Appears closer in specs to the QNIX (60 Hz, no Gsync, 6 ms), but probably with the lovely panel quality issues of Acer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

I seriously thought this model number was a joke you were making about how ridiculous model numbers are...

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

drat that's a fine looking Kay two seven two hull bee miiidpuh.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It was supposed to be the K272H but the supervisor in charge got choked out reading it back.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

spoon daddy posted:

What are the best options for IPS 4k monitors under $1000? Any in the under $600 range?

How big do you want? The Dell P2715Q comes to mind for sure. I've seen them used/refurbed for $430 a couple times, normal price is about $550 new. Maybe a bit less if you have a Dell store discount.

I would also seriously consider the Acer XB270HU. 4K is arguably too much resolution on a 27"/28" screen - UIs with scaling turned off are tiny. I don't think you'd miss much by going 1440p, and then you can get IPS 144hz G-Sync, which is pretty fantastic. Assuming your $800 monitor isn't full of hair and dirt with luminescent corners, that is. Quality control on that first batch was all over the place.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Durinia posted:

Any opinions on the Acer K272HULbmiidp? Newegg has it at $299 this weekend.

Appears closer in specs to the QNIX (60 Hz, no Gsync, 6 ms), but probably with the lovely panel quality issues of Acer?

I have an Acer B286HK 4K panel (admittedly TN, not IPS like that) and I have pretty horrific ghosting issues and it's got a noticeable capacitor whine on sites like Wikipedia. Also its EnergySaver makes it take 10 seconds or so to notice there's a signal coming in when you power on, which is a pretty common "feature" on Acers. There's no way to disable it. On the whole I'm a "thumbs down" on Acers at this point, with the exception of super premium stuff like the XB270HU. Which still had some pretty bad quality control issues even though it costs $800. If you want a specific model check the reviews thoroughly and go into it with your eyes open.

I've got a used P2715Q coming, I'm thinking the Acer will get used as a second screen or a workstation and eventually replaced with a couple of IPS 1440p 144hz when they come down more.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 23, 2015

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Can anyone recommend a good monitor arm? I've never used one before. The plan is to get a workbench desk, one of those fancy 16:9 34" monitors, and a regular old 24" directly above the widescreen. I don't need to mount things to the wall, just something that clamps on to the desk.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like the ergotron ones.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?
For basic gaming and watching movies on Prime I'm looking to upgrade my Dell 2407 WFP-HC, currently thinking of getting this BenQ anything else in the $300 price range I should be looking at? I'm going to swing the Dell over to use as my dual monitor to replace my aging Samsung 226BW.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Anyone have a good link for overclocking a qnix 2710? I tried google and followed the steps on the overclock.net forums and i'm either dumb or it didn't work.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-qnix-x-star-1440p-monitor-club <-- this has basically everything you'd ever want to know about the QNix on it, including an overclocking guide.

After overclocking, I highly recommend the debezeling, painting, and mounting guide(s).

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

th3t00t posted:

Anyone have a good link for overclocking a qnix 2710? I tried google and followed the steps on the overclock.net forums and i'm either dumb or it didn't work.

Do you have an NV or AMD GPU? I can probably help sort out an nvidia install, it was really easy.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I'm looking for a 4k IPS monitor at under 30" for under $1000. Is the Dell2715Q a good bet and what are my alternatives?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I'm looking for a 4k IPS monitor at under 30" for under $1000. Is the Dell2715Q a good bet and what are my alternatives?

You're on a trip back to last page!

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE

Rexxed posted:

You're on a trip back to last page!

Wheeeee!

But yeah it seems like that dell best suits me needs and is well reviewed? I guess I'll get that.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Any opinions on this guy?

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16824025112

Going for 299 but I can't find any reviews.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Looselybased posted:

Any opinions on this guy?

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16824025112

Going for 299 but I can't find any reviews.

They have them at bestbuy if you wan to check one out. But i think 21:9 in the 29" form is too short

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I got this a couple of days ago. The important thing to know about 4K is that it's actually two standards: "consumer" 4K, which is 3840x2160 and actual 4K, which is 4096x2160. If you're running recent Intel integrated graphics, you should get at least 50/60Hz out of the 3840 monitors over displayport. Support is nonexistent for the 4096 panels unless you have a real GPU (nVidia/AMD).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

That's because everyone sucks at names.

3840x2160 is UHD (I don't know what 7680x4320 will be called).

4K (and 8K, 8192x4320) are DCI (read: film industry internal-use) standards. "Consumer 4K" is not in any official capacity a thing.

Naturally there's a lot more interest in conflating the two than distinguishing them, and not just in money, and people who actually don't want consumers confused and vulnerable to things like predatory advertising are too easy to shout down as pedants.

But rest assured that your GPU and display firmware know the difference, and they can bite you if you don't.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

4K (and 8K, 8192x4320) are DCI (read: film industry internal-use) standards. "Consumer 4K" is not in any official capacity a thing.

Why are you telling us what he just told us?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Mazz posted:

Do you have an NV or AMD GPU? I can probably help sort out an nvidia install, it was really easy.

nvidia, gtx970

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

th3t00t posted:

nvidia, gtx970

Assuming you've already got drivers and NVIDIA Control Panel installed:

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel
2. On the sidebar on the left, navigate to "Change Resolution" (underneath the "Display" category).
3. Click "Customize" at the bottom.
4. Click "Create Custom Resolution" at the bottom.
5. In this new window, make sure horizontal and vertical pixels are set to the native resolution (2560x1440), then set "Refresh rate (Hz") to whatever you want it to be. Most people online seem to settle on 96Hz as the cost/benefit sweet spot (overclocking in general makes colors out of whack, which are fixable with custom color profiles but that's neither here nor there). The "Standard" setting under "Timing" should be set to "Automatic."
6. Test the resolution. If nothing looks out of place, save it.
7. Hit "OK" to exit the "Customize" window
8. In the resolution list, there should be a new "Custom" header with a single resolution (the native one) to choose. Click on it. To the right there will be a "Refresh rate" drop down. Click on that, and click on the refresh rate.

That should be it. You can gently caress around with color profiles if you do color sensitive work, but that was all I needed to do myself (at least, that I remember). Let me know if that doesn't work out

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Got it working, I just needed the qnix driver. Thanks goons, very happy with my monitor!

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

If I used an IPS panel (Dell U2311h) to display a full-sized calendar at all times, would there be burn-in and, if so, how quickly would it happen?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Pertplus posted:

If I used an IPS panel (Dell U2311h) to display a full-sized calendar at all times, would there be burn-in and, if so, how quickly would it happen?

No permanent burn-in, but using a CCFL monitor nonstop will age the lamps faster than normal. Over time, they'll dim and turn yellow or pink (or even green sometimes)

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

Zorilla posted:

No permanent burn-in, but using a CCFL monitor nonstop will age the lamps faster than normal. Over time, they'll dim and turn yellow or pink (or even green sometimes)

Thanks. Any idea how long it would last before perceivable effects of aging lamps?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Pertplus posted:

Thanks. Any idea how long it would last before perceivable effects of aging lamps?

25-75000 hours

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I had an older HP 23" monitor where the counter had flipped into the negative (signed int) . It was pretty pink in the corners and took a while to warm up...

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So I decided to debezel my qnix 2710s.

I broke one but now that I have the hang of it, it is rather easy to do and will have the replacement out in no time.

My "practice" was bought cheap off a coworker & had a yellow tinge I couldn't quite calibrate out so I'm not heartbroken but out a bit of cash replacing it now.

I used this guide: http://www.overclock.net/t/1404407/how-to-create-a-vesa-mount-after-debezelling-your-monitor-qnix-qx2710

Waiting for the jb weld to dry on the one I didn't gently caress up, but it's going to be great.

e: don't apply force towards the screen, I shattered a teeny part with a poorly positioned pry attempt.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Whats the point of debezelling when there is still a border?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
To make the bezel slightly smaller?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

The QNIX bezel is pretty sizable, a full inch on top and an inch and a half of the bottom (extra bezel for...buttons? LED power indicator? unclear). It can be bothersome.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Don Lapre posted:

Because you take it from a ~1" shiny plastic monstrosity down to a ~1cm rather attractive metal frame. Hit it with some matte black spraypaint and it looks like it was always meant to be that way.

Also you're like 3/4th the way there once you crack the case open to rip out the stand to replace it, so you might as well. And that factory stand is poo poo.

If you're careful and/or use plastic tools for the disassembly, it's quite easy and safe. Just make sure you have a soft cloth or towel or somesuch to rest the screen on so it doesn't get scratched up.

e; FYI, that mounting tape in the guide does literally nothing. Don't bother unless you want to use it to tack down the cables or something. The JBWeld (or any other similar epoxy) is quite strong enough all by itself. poo poo, it'd probably be strong enough with like a 2x2" patch of glue, let alone a 8x8" or whatever you put down.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 28, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DrDork posted:

Because you take it from a ~1" shiny plastic monstrosity down to a ~1cm rather attractive metal frame. Hit it with some matte black spraypaint and it looks like it was always meant to be that way.

Also you're like 3/4th the way there once you crack the case open to rip out the stand to replace it, so you might as well. And that factory stand is poo poo.

If you're careful and/or use plastic tools for the disassembly, it's quite easy and safe. Just make sure you have a soft cloth or towel or somesuch to rest the screen on so it doesn't get scratched up.

e; FYI, that mounting tape in the guide does literally nothing. Don't bother unless you want to use it to tack down the cables or something. The JBWeld (or any other similar epoxy) is quite strong enough all by itself. poo poo, it'd probably be strong enough with like a 2x2" patch of glue, let alone a 8x8" or whatever you put down.

Or just like, any two sided 3M foam tape. Jesus that's a lot of epoxy.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
^ what they said. It's going to look a LOT nicer than how they come and would have been a completely straightforward thing to do had I not made that one jab.

e: also fwiw the blue LED is behind the screen now. There are other ways to blot it out, but I never have to have those fuckers glaring in my eyes again.

FormatAmerica fucked around with this message at 12:05 on May 28, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

FormatAmerica posted:

e: also fwiw the blue LED is behind the screen now. There are other ways to blot it out, but I never have to have those fuckers glaring in my eyes again.

loving hate blue LEDs. Any other loving color of LED doesn't bother me, but that wavelength that is in every blue LED sears my retinas.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

loving hate blue LEDs. Any other loving color of LED doesn't bother me, but that wavelength that is in every blue LED sears my retinas.

My new cable modem has like 7 on the front. My loving room will never be dark again.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

tesilential posted:

My new cable modem has like 7 on the front. My loving room will never be dark again.

http://amzn.com/B0006SU3QW

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

DrDork posted:

Laffo. Seriously. JBWeld has a tensile strength of like 3900 PSI. You could lift a small car by that 8x8" square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
How far is the industry from combining G-sync/Freesync with low persistence? I guess they would need really flexible and responsive control of the backlight, but I don't know how feasible that is.