Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I liked the episode, though I also think the first half was much stronger than the second half. The DEO stuff is a little forced.

I wonder if they made Alex Danvers look so much like Linda Danvers on purpose. Linda Alex Danvers? Alex Linda Danvers? Just let me dream.

So, are we supposed to assume that that was Lara, Superman's mom, at the end? For a second I thought they had gender-swapped Zod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Let me fix this for you.

Jimmy Olson: "I have a message. Superhero ... Superman's plane ... was shot down ... over the Sea of Japan. It spun in and ... there were no survivors".

Or

Superman (in shadows): I have to go now. My planet needs me. [Note: "NOTE: Superman died on the way back to his home planet.]

Your welcome, nerds.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

Um.. There are plenty of reasons for why a person may no longer be physically present (permanently or indefinitely), especially in a comic universe.

I'm not saying I want Superman to be on the show or to steal the show. I am saying that if they wanted a show about Supergirl with having to worry about Superman, then use some creativity and get rid of Superman. It's not hard. Superman has, across more than one continuity, had more than one reason for not being present during things. My whole point is that they didn't even try. Instead, they just went, well he's totally around and about guys. He's no particularly busy, he's keeping an eye on her, apparently, but from a distance. Also he is maintaining complete silence. Hell, the premise that she is replacing Superman is actually incredibly interesting, and much better than, "he's also around saving people, but always some where else, and he can't be bothered as she takes her first steps toward following in his shoes."

It's bad because it smacks of having cake and eating it too. They want to tie it to Superman to get people to watch, and tease that he's out there, but they don't want him on the show. That's kind of shallow. Let Supergirl be her own show and drop the Superman stuff, using creative writing skills, an don't dangle him in front of audiences to generate interest.

Not really though, if you actually stopped to think about it.

But it seems pretty clear that stopping and thinking about things we enjoy might be expecting too much of this subforum as well. Much better to just be a dick to people who have an opinion about comic book stuff. Goddamn.

Here's the thing though, they might not want a universe where superman is indisposed or missing, because that would put too much pressure on Kara. They want her to be 'a new hope', not 'the last hope'. And they want her to become a hero because she wants to, not because she has to. If you are in a world with no Superman her burden has to be heavier and the show has to be darker.

Superman watching from afar aloofly in alienation even though he could be there isn't particularly out of character with some interpretations either. There may be better ways of writing around his absence but this is a believable reason to set up the universe they want to set up. I probably would have gotten an actor to play him, but only a voice over(probably Tim Daly or George Newburn), and speak to her over the phone (a pay phone preferably) to let her know he approved and he was sending her a care package. But I'm not going to say that would have been better.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

zoux posted:

I hope they treat Superman exactly like Maris in Fraser.

"This is a man who thinks his kryptonite allergy entitles him to a disabled parking space!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

No it's not? You are saying they should have Superman show up in person to give her the cape, but you know they cannot do it for business reasons. No amount of "good writing" is going to get you out of that.

It's bad writing because they put themselves into that position in the first place by establishing that Superman's around and active. And it's a problem that's going to get worse if they don't just functionally pretend he doesn't exist from the second episode onwards, because every time a big disaster happens to up the stakes and Kara's all "I failed and people died" there's the implicit "where the gently caress is Clark?".

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Rocksicles posted:

You must like reading your own posts. I assure you, it's not this "good writing" you speak of. :)
I'm only calling you out a little bit, because you're being a notch above annoying.

If you want to sit down and write a pilot script for Supergirl at some point, i'll happily read it.

If self contained posts on a message board that you can easily skip over to continue on a separate conversation are annoying to you, then perhaps you should reflect on that instead of being a notch above a jerk to someone who is merely typing an opinion on a single facet of a show based on a comic book.

If you or someone you care about deeply is involved with the writing of the show, then I apologize for offending you in some way, because how am I supposed to even know that? If you aren't involved in the show, then it is a bit perplexing as to why it bothers you so much that I am calling out a single instance of subpar storytelling.

Guy A. Person posted:

So did you watch the pilot yet?

I haven't spoken to the quality of the pilot itself. I am talking about one specific plot point that other people have mentioned (and that we've seen since the official preview.) If the pilot contains information that makes my opinion on that specific plot point pointless, then perhaps someone who has watched it should just say something, because so far no one who has claimed to have watched it has contradicted what the general public knows about the show.

Holy poo poo does this forum get defensive when someone criticizes something. And before any of you geniuses go "DURR you are the one being defensive!" I am defending my own opinion, not defending a TV show. I don't care if someone disagrees with me and likes something I don't or vice versa. But I am going to respond to people who respond to me, because that is how message boards work. This is like the second or third time I have had to explain this in the last several months.

greatn posted:

Here's the thing though, they might not want a universe where superman is indisposed or missing, because that would put too much pressure on Kara. They want her to be 'a new hope', not 'the last hope'. And they want her to become a hero because she wants to, not because she has to. If you are in a world with no Superman her burden has to be heavier and the show has to be darker.

Superman watching from afar aloofly in alienation even though he could be there isn't particularly out of character with some interpretations either. There may be better ways of writing around his absence but this is a believable reason to set up the universe they want to set up. I probably would have gotten an actor to play him, but only a voice over(probably Tim Daly or George Newburn), and speak to her over the phone (a pay phone preferably) to let her know he approved and he was sending her a care package. But I'm not going to say that would have been better.

You are right, and I think Young Justice did that kind of storyline between Superman and Superboy much better. The issue isn't that they are doing it at all, it is the way they seem to have gone about it. Maybe they address it later in the season, that is the hope I have.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 22, 2015

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah, me neither.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Just watched the pilot, I thought it was pretty good. I didn't like everything, but there was enough stuff that I did like that it didn't take away any enjoyment, good enough to keep me watching, anyway.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

BrianWilly posted:

I liked the episode, though I also think the first half was much stronger than the second half. The DEO stuff is a little forced.

I wonder if they made Alex Danvers look so much like Linda Danvers on purpose. Linda Alex Danvers? Alex Linda Danvers? Just let me dream.

So, are we supposed to assume that that was Lara, Superman's mom, at the end? For a second I thought they had gender-swapped Zod.

I suppose that's possible, although I had assumed it was a new Kryptonian. If that was Supes' mother she's be a lot more worried about him than Kara I would assume. Also the assistant guy was never named as far as I noticed, I wonder if he's going to be Zod?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

BrianWilly posted:

Without having seen the pilot, just based on casting news you sure it isn't Kara's mom?

ToastyPotato posted:

It's bad because it smacks of having cake and eating it too. They want to tie it to Superman to get people to watch, and tease that he's out there, but they don't want him on the show.

Yep, got it in one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Without having seen the pilot, just based on casting news you sure it isn't Kara's mom?
The character who appears at the end explicitly says Kara is her niece, and even speaks of Alura -- Kara's mom -- as another person. She does look exactly like Alura, who appeared earlier in the episode...but is not her.

Now that I think about it she can't be Lara because Kara and Kal are related on their father's side, but it was the first thing that came to mind. She is probably just a new character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure the groups who want Superman references and tie-ins and those who don't want him appearing are not the same.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

I'm pretty sure the groups who want Superman references and tie-ins and those who don't want him appearing are not the same.

I'm kind of hoping the heavy-handed He stuff is a pilot relic and pretty much disappears once the series starts proper.

The stinger at the end of the pilot though, I liked.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aphrodite posted:

I'm laughing at the people who are bothered by the pronouns/no shows right now. If it goes on for the entire season, then yeah, I'd probably find it weird. But in the pilot I thought it was harmless.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 22, 2015

Cyberius
Sep 24, 2007
Totally Fake
Maybe Supes (and Supergirl) just can't fly that fast in this universe, and it would take him like 2 hours to make it from Metropolis to National City. There, that takes care of most of the Monster of the Week episodes. He's just got poo poo to do and only visits Kara on holidays. But whoever said he should be treated like Maris from Frasier is 100% right.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it would've been less annoying if someone in the show had lampshaded it. Have Jimmy actually say Superman or Clark and point out that being coy is silly during one of the cutesy scenes. (Hell, have him be in on it like he was right before DC just said gently caress it and outed Supes)

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Rocksicles posted:

Only apt if you're a moron of the highest order.

No idea who pissed in your breakfast, but I remember Lois and Clark pretty fondly for a 90 SciFi show and would consider it a good thing if the Supergirl show was similar.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
It's pretty good, overall; even the Superman absence problem isn't that bad here, though it'll become more problematic the more he's referenced in subsequent episodes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I expect people complaining about Superman will very quickly become more annoying than anything the show does about Superman.

Heck, I thought that the blue heat vision (as seen in the trailer) was way weirder. Why is it blue?? Because she's a girl???? :colbert:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Heck, I thought that the blue heat vision (as seen in the trailer) was way weirder. Why is it blue?? Because she's a girl???? :colbert:

Kara burns brighter/hotter :kimchi:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

I expect people complaining about Superman will very quickly become more annoying than anything the show does about Superman.

The TV IV thread will almost certainly be poo poo even if he were a main character on the show and you know it. And hardly anyone even posts in this thread to talk about things that are actually on the air. The biggest flurry of posts always seems to be about upcoming stuff.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Maybe someone threw a weird plastic triangle at Her Cousin and he's trapped in the Phantom Zone.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Halfway through they should just reveal it's in the Injustice universe or something

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Barry Convex posted:

It's pretty good, overall; even the Superman absence problem isn't that bad here, though it'll become more problematic the more he's referenced in subsequent episodes.

I'm going to guess/hope that the constant namechecks are a function of the pilot and they'll taper them off.

I think the best thing the pilot had going for it was Benoist. She has the same sort of charisma Gustin has on Flash and really sold the holy poo poo, being able to fly is really loving cool.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

howe_sam posted:

I'm going to guess/hope that the constant namechecks are a function of the pilot and they'll taper them off.

I think the best thing the pilot had going for it was Benoist. She has the same sort of charisma Gustin has on Flash and really sold the holy poo poo, being able to fly is really loving cool.

Ryan Murphy has a knack for casting amazing, charismatic, talented people and wasting the poo poo out of them. Glee is gonna be a star incubator.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

The TV IV thread will almost certainly be poo poo even if he were a main character on the show and you know it. And hardly anyone even posts in this thread to talk about things that are actually on the air. The biggest flurry of posts always seems to be about upcoming stuff.

Deadpool doesn't like people making threads way in advance, so upcoming show talk pretty much has to go here when it's comic related.

Right now there's the upfront threads, but those will die off.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Deadpool doesn't like people making threads way in advance, so upcoming show talk pretty much has to go here when it's comic related.

Right now there's the upfront threads, but those will die off.

Ah, that makes sense.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So what's the deal with the schedule for Neflix Marvel? Last I heard it was Jessica Jones in the fall and then Luke Cage and Iron Fist next year, but with Daredevil being renewed are the others being postponed?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I doubt it. Daredevil and Cage will probably just be released very close to each other. If Jessica Jones gets renewed as well I could see them doing Daredevil S2 in Q1, Luke Cage in Q2, Jessica Jones S2 in Q3, and Iron First in Q4 next year. And then Defenders in Q1 or Q2 of 2017.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I don't read Supergirl comics but the pilot got me interested. Is there a general recommendation as to what would be best to start with?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Have they cast comet the horse yet?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but they cast a mare in another case of political correctness gone mad.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

Superman is definitely the worst part of the show because he's basically presented as some eldritch horror that you can't name or see but you just know is there lurking openly behind you.

It was really distracting to have all this 'Superman' stuff in the universe like the anti Superman kryptonite bracers or tranq gun to the giant S on the costume and then to have none of the characters actually address Superman by name or have any major interaction with him.

As an average viewer, I don't know that much about comics or Superman so it gets really confusing when they're talking about Superman but never actually mention his name. They make this worse by having each character give him a different nickname in every single conversation. The story would have worked so much better if all the characters stuck to the same nickname like 'the alien in blue' or the 'Kryptonian' so at least the audience knows who they're talking about.

The other issue with Superman is that he's portrayed more like a deadbeat dad then a hero to look up to. The pilot makes it look like he just basically picked up Kara at her escape pod, immediately dumped her in the care of complete strangers and then buggered off, never bothering to stay in touch or explain things to her. At the end of the episode, there's an angry gang of powered aliens that want to kill her as well as a secret anti alien government organization that considers her a threat so where is Superman in all of this? We don't need to physically see him but his presence or absence needs to be explained better to the audience especially since he has such a big impact on the world.

That said, the pilot was good for a tv pilot and it'd be worth seeing how things work out in a couple of episodes time despite it probably being the weakest pilot out of Arrow/Flash/AoS.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

bobkatt013 posted:

They're not allowed to say Comet the Superhorse so she keeps calling it "my steed".

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

e X posted:

No idea who pissed in your breakfast, but I remember Lois and Clark pretty fondly for a 90 SciFi show and would consider it a good thing if the Supergirl show was similar.

I didn't say Lois and Clark was bad, even though i think it was. I suppose you can argue a comparison only means, to examine. So yeah you can compare them, i conceed to being tired and grumpy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I haven't seen the leaked Supergirl pilot, so I might already be proven wrong, but I thought Dean Cain was going to play her Kryptonian dad in flasbacks or something like that. (Especially since it has the same casting director as Flash, which cast 90's Flash as new Flash's dad and 90's Trickster/ Mark Hammil as new Tricksters's dad)

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Skwirl posted:

I haven't seen the leaked Supergirl pilot, so I might already be proven wrong, but I thought Dean Cain was going to play her Kryptonian dad in flasbacks or something like that. (Especially since it has the same casting director as Flash, which cast 90's Flash as new Flash's dad and 90's Trickster/ Mark Hammil as new Tricksters's dad)

Dean Cain is her Earth dad.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Heat vision was originally explained as Supes just cranking his x-ray vision up to 11. :flashfact:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kegslayer posted:

SAt the end of the episode, there's an angry gang of powered aliens that want to kill her as well as a secret anti alien government organization that considers her a threat so where is Superman in all of this?

Okay yeah his absence from those two plot points, when they come to a head, is going to have to be explained more than just 'become her own hero'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Agree with everyone's feelings on the Supergirl pilot. Again it was SUPER annoying that they just didn't just have ONE loving Superman scene where he tells Kara himself 'I want you to become your own hero.' Instead you get the awkward HE WHO MUSTN'T BE NAMED giving messages through minor nobodies. God, just send her a bloody text signed ck or something