Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

paranoid randroid posted:

Calliope is ok and I think it puts the lie to a lot of the "hussie hates his fans" talk that he made the legit nicest & most helpful character in the story representative of his fanbase.
The meanest and most destructive character in the story is also representative of his fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

JT Jag posted:

The meanest and most destructive character in the story is also representative of his fanbase.

And the two of them can't be separated without sabotaging their growth.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

JT Jag posted:

I thought he was supposed to represent the Homestuck detractors? What with his distaste for shipping and pesterlogs.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

paradoxGentleman posted:

I like Calliope, and I get the impression, between her and Tavros, that you people really have it in for genuinely nice character.

Combine Tavrosprite and Calliope to form Tavrilliopesprite... or Calrosprite?

The passivity and weenietude collapses into a singularity, which thankfully doesn't draw anything toward it since that would be too proactive.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

paradoxGentleman posted:

I thought he was supposed to represent the Homestuck detractors? What with his distaste for shipping and pesterlogs.
He's the part of the fanbase that skips the pesterlogs and really likes the flashes and deaths, and Calliope is the part of the fanbase that likes the pesterlogs and posts on forums a ton about their OTP. Two sides of the same coin.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

paradoxGentleman posted:

He's completely into shipping based on his fetishes with no regard for the characters themselves, and a surprising number of readers skipped pesterlogs their first time reading.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

A thing can be more than one thing. That's kind of how metaphors work. A lot of people seem to get hung up on how 'the trolls = this' and 'cherubs = that', but in reality they are just have aspects of those things. They are also characters that have other motivations of their own. None of it is 1:1 representative.

KoB
May 1, 2009

krakagar posted:

A thing can be more than one thing. That's kind of how metaphors work. A lot of people seem to get hung up on how 'the trolls = this' and 'cherubs = that', but in reality they are just have aspects of those things. They are also characters that have other motivations of their own. None of it is 1:1 representative.

Are you trying to tell me that all the fans arent skeleton-lizard people?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

KoB posted:

Tch, get a load of this guy

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

paranoid randroid posted:

The whole theme of "growing up" and such is kind of making me think that the comic is going to end with all the god-tier characters losing their godhood, tbh. Because being an immortal is not really conducive to themes of having to deal with all the poo poo that comes along with being an adult. Maybe taking out LE will somehow gently caress up the clockwork magyycks that empower them or something.

I hope to hell this doesn't happen because stories where the ending is "all the cool magical aspects of the setting you love are now chucked out the window and everyone is boring and normal again" is one of the absolute worst ways of ending a story and it sucks and I hate it.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
NOT TO DETRACT FROM THE CURRENT CONVERSATION WHICH IS PRETTY GREAT BUT LET'S TALK ABOUT THIS ONCE WE ARE DONE

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Holy poo poo

E: It's seriously been 5 years since they made any of those

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 23, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

KoB posted:

I, personally, am a nakkodile. Or possibly a juju because there can only ever be -- no, that's Highlander, carry on.

Prison Warden posted:

I hope to hell this doesn't happen because stories where the ending is "all the cool magical aspects of the setting you love are now chucked out the window and everyone is boring and normal again" is one of the absolute worst ways of ending a story and it sucks and I hate it.

I am certain the ending will be some sort of Mobius Double Reacharound, but I'm pinning my hopes on Hussie promising said ending would not be dumb. If it's "everybody forgets the magical adventure", not all the Ikeas nor all the MySQL installations in the world will contain sufficient flippable tables to appease my wrath.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Prison Warden posted:

I might hate this trope a little less if it didn't so often try to pass off the magic and adventure as analagous to adolescence.

Nice try, but I remember being a teenager, and ludicrous super powers are much, much better.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Came in to post this. So glad they're making more again.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
You awaken in your BEDROOM. The CLOCK reads 4:13 am. You must have FALLEN ASLEEP at your DESK again.

==>

Dialoglog posted:

JOHN: it was all a dream...

John: Look at your bed.

You look over to see A GLOWING TRANSLUCENT FROG APPROXIMATELY THE SIZE OF A SINGLE UNIVERSE on your BEDSPREAD.

==>

Dialoglog posted:

JOHN: or was it???

The End

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Plom Bar posted:

You awaken in your BEDROOM. The CLOCK reads 4:13 am. You must have FALLEN ASLEEP at your DESK again.

==>

You look over to see A GLOWING TRANSLUCENT FROG APPROXIMATELY THE SIZE OF A SINGLE UNIVERSE on your BEDSPREAD.

==>

The End

Now I am wondering if John's posters would be covered in clown graffiti.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Having never watched this series nor listened to this music, this leaves me completely indifferent.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

Having never watched this series nor listened to this music, this leaves me completely indifferent.

You don't deserve Jandrew edits

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Plom Bar posted:

==>

==>

The End

Man this is Genre Savvy John. He would not accept that for a second.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

paradoxGentleman posted:

possibly you didn't watch the whole thing, do not understand facial expressions or humour, or are dumb, or are trolling,

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

paradoxGentleman posted:

Extremely relevant meme:

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off
PSA: No update on Monday 5/25.

Does this mean he's gonna combine it into the next update/several updates, or add an extra day at the end of the schedule?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

CidGregor posted:

Does this mean he's gonna combine it into the next update/several updates, or add an extra day at the end of the schedule?

Most likely combined with the following update, seeing as no horse was added, just crossed out.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
The day that got crossed out is Memorial Day, so Hussie probably just has family stuff that weekend.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

CidGregor posted:

Neither, he is just going to skip the update. We will pick up after a heartfelt meeting between Dave and Dirk.

The update will never be posted.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Classtoise posted:

Neither, he is just going to skip the update. We will pick up after a heartfelt meeting between Dave and Dirk.

dirkisafuckedupguy.txt

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you switch the dominant cherub to Calliope, everything resets. However, Hussie has said he won't do a dumb ending.

I have just had the most terrible idea. Calliopesprite.

Called for this like a month ago, still really want it to be true.

subpar anachronism posted:

My stupid out there theory: we haven't seen Nepeta's body, ghost, or Fefetasprite (even though Gamzee's face is scratched up) for a reason. We've seen the remains or the ghost ghost of every one of the original trolls except her. Could Roxy, with John's retcon ability (or her own void powers) manages to get Calliope's dream body and prototype herself a Callisprite?

The reason we now know to be that they chose not to resurrect Feferi and Nepeta.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Classtoise posted:

Much like the "everybody meets up on Stonehenge" banter that got RetJohnned. Or the rest of the corrupted-by-Caliborn flash. Man was not meant to know.

(a moment of silence for the departed Monday update).

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

possibly you didn't watch the whole thing, do not understand facial expressions or humour, or are dumb, or are trolling,

I got 30 seconds in before getting the impression that I was missing some key cultural element to the humor therein and closed the video.
After watching it completely, I see that that is not the case, and I get the joke while still not finding it all that funny.

but hey whatever floats your collective boats, I'm not judging

Classtoise posted:

I hope this isn't the case, because the meeting between those two is of monumental importance for both their characters and we just skimmed another such character defining event, the meteor trip with added Vriska, that as understandable as it is radically changed how the characters think and act.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:52 on May 23, 2015

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

paradoxGentleman posted:

I hope this isn't the case, because the meeting between those two is of monumental importance for both their characters and we just skimmed another such character defining event, the meteor trip with added Vriska, that as understandable as it is radically changed how the characters think and act.

Are you seriously this loving stupid or is this some next-level poo poo

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Jia posted:

Are you seriously this loving stupid or is this some next-level poo poo

I really am dumb from time to time, especially when it comes to understanding sarcasm in written form.
Sorry about that.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Edit: never mind

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm kind of surprised he doesn't have a script to automate updates, tbh.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Historically, he pretty much just uploaded updates as soon as they were done, so he didn't really need one before.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

Historically, he pretty much just uploaded updates as soon as they were done, so he didn't really need one before.

Still, given the amount of webcomic people / coders he knows i'm surprised he didn't borrow one. It is rather admirable that he still prefers to personally upload them, though. He clearly cares a lot if he's doing it personally.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hussie's next project will be hour long episodes of TNG edits. They will be aired on television.

Grapplejack posted:

Most comics that do this update at regular intervals. Rather than 20 pages in one day, or skipping entire months.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I think I've figured out how Caliborn/LE could get mind controlled, assuming mind control is what's going on with his billiard eyes. We know that there's a timeline where Calliope predominates. Assuming dominant Calliope still grows up on post scratch Earth, empty Lil Cal will still be on her planet. Empty Cal is the one Caliborn is staring into when he takes control of Jack. My basic guess is that at some point Caliborn tries to use the mind control trick on someone and gets it turned on himself, or perhaps he just looks into Cal's eyes at some point and gets taken over. It would fit the quasi Oedipal themes he's got going (and is also trying to force Dave into) for him to gouge out his eyes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Update happens today (Pacific time)!

Yes, I have descended this far. I have stopped worrying and loved to learn the Vriska Hussie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I missed yesterday's (uh, technically today's) horse being crossed out (dead?). When did it happen?