Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Poque posted:

You can make most anything work, it's just that some combos require more effort. My first run gave me Knight/Mystic Knight as my first two classes and the rest of the game basically required 0 effort.

In fact, the only combination that no one's ever reported beating the game with is one berserker and three dead teammates. And that's just because they got to NED and decided it was too dependent on luck to wait it out.

(Every job besides berserker has been used in that combo to finish the game. But as you might imagine, some of them are rather tedious.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Last year I did a Bravely Default Fiesta in honour of this. This time I might actually try the real thing.

Praying I get thief though because sod moving slowly.

On that note, I've been doing a similar "Six Job Siesta" run for Wild ARMs XF to keep myself busy until the show officially gets on the road.

Any other games with remotely similar job systems to make this kind of challenge run feasible?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

In fact, the only combination that no one's ever reported beating the game with is one berserker and three dead teammates. And that's just because they got to NED and decided it was too dependent on luck to wait it out.

(Every job besides berserker has been used in that combo to finish the game. But as you might imagine, some of them are rather tedious.)

someone actually did solo berserker through neo:

http://www.garath.net/Sullla/FF/berserker3.html

only thing is that it literally took multiple emulators running in fastforward for a long weekend to happen. the odds of everything working out are just pathetically low and it might only be possible because of the berserker underflow glitch on SNES

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Chaotic Neutral posted:

Can't effectively Gil Toss without levels, levels that will be miserable to grind. I mean, you'll have the money - you always have the money unless you're spamming it left right and center.. which you might be with a group that bad - but there are plenty of things that are annoyingly expensive or have the defense to frustrate attempts to Gil Toss them away.

Grinding levels with Gil Toss is incredibly easy. There are tons of enemies with either really low or no defense. Let's say your level 20 when you first get Samurai (and this is probably under-leveled!) At this point Gil Toss is going to be doing 4500 damage to an enemy with no defense. Find a spot with a lot of enemies without much defense and go to town. The formula is just that good.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 22, 2015

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I'm thinking about getting an actual FFV Super Famicom cart this year. Is this one of those games where I should be concerned with bootlegs or fakes? If so, is there anything to watch out for?

I'm also considering the GBA cart if I can find my GBA so same questions for that I guess.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jibo posted:

I'm thinking about getting an actual FFV Super Famicom cart this year. Is this one of those games where I should be concerned with bootlegs or fakes? If so, is there anything to watch out for?

I'm also considering the GBA cart if I can find my GBA so same questions for that I guess.

No clue about the Famicom cart, but GBA bootlegs are notoriously common. You should definitely look into that, but a modern release or emulation is the best idea in all honesty.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Alabaster White posted:

No clue about the Famicom cart, but GBA bootlegs are notoriously common.

I bought GBA FF6 on eBay and the label had Rydia and Kain on it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

All of that said, it was a really fun run and I'd encourage you to try it.
I've long wanted to do this kind of run with Bravely Default, but was never sure how to get it off the ground.

Definitely doing this sometime. Thanks.

wall monitor
Jan 1, 2007

I've participated in the last two runs... never finished.

I'm gonna do it this year, though. Tempted to toxx myself on finishing it or putting some unreasonably high donation incentive for failure to keep me going.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
I'm looking into ordering a capture card to stream from my Game Boy Player. To be honest, this seems like a fun way of playing if only to come up with clever tactics and general bullshittery to win against Neo Exdeath.

In fact, it reminds me a bit of NetHack, in that you'll need to play smart, get lucky and prepared to see "You died... "Annihilated..." a lot in order to win.

KharlanTree
Aug 21, 2014

Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
You see me I be
Zerk zerk zerk zerk zerk
I first heard about the fiesta last year literally days after it ended. I am so glad to be around for it this time! And I love reading everyone's analyses of the game mechanics. :D

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Yorkshire Tea laid out a good ruleset for a BD run. I'm glad you mentioned taking gil over in new game+, because I remember that being a pain in the rear end the first time around just to get basic equipment for my dudes.

Are there any good FFT Fiesta runs? I was thinking something goofy like rolling each character into a random new class out of whatever ones they have available at set points, though I'm not sure what that would be.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FFT doesn't have the kind of progression you'd want for a fiesta, plus several classes don't even have weapons til late chapter 2 or early chapter 3. You'd also have to cheat in access to classes or commit to possibly a lot of grinding before you even start.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

dis astranagant posted:

FFT doesn't have the kind of progression you'd want for a fiesta, plus several classes don't even have weapons til late chapter 2 or early chapter 3. You'd also have to cheat in access to classes or commit to possibly a lot of grinding before you even start.

And that alone would trivialize a good chunk of the game too since you'd outlived quite a bit of content. Plus any low-tier classes would probably be half mastered by the time you unlocked some of the later ones (black Mage vs. samurai or ninja, for instance).

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
You might be able to do a FFTA/A2 run with one job from each race while allowing shared support/reaction/equip skills. So for example if you roll archer as a Viera job you could let your Moogle character pop over to Gunner to learn Concentrate and nothing else. Also if you rolled black mage for your human you could allow your moogle and Nu Mou learn black magic in addition to their own job.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

So in preparation for this I decided to do an unofficial run. I got Thief as my first class. Is there anywhere I can get daggers before karl boss?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

gatesealer posted:

So in preparation for this I decided to do an unofficial run. I got Thief as my first class. Is there anywhere I can get daggers before karl boss?

Nope! You're stuck with Faris's Dagger and Lenna's Knife! It isn't that hard though, since even one dagger is decent damage output.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It helps that all of the random encounters in the canal will only attack Faris or Lenna, so you can just stick them in the back and have them Defend while Bartz and Galuf do the killing, at least until you get to the boss.

Then it's just a matter of praying he doesn't kill/paralyze your guys with the weapons while you fling potions like mad to stay alive.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I had an idea last year for a mode that fits somewhere between a standard and a natural run, and I thought I'd toss it out in case anyone else wants to give it a try. The basic idea is that you roll your party according to Gilgabot, and each character gets access to two jobs. The first is whatever they'd get under a natural run, and the second is your choice among what you've been assigned. This makes the game a little tougher than if each character could use all four jobs, but it's not quite as tedious as a strict natural run would be.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 23, 2015

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ultrafilter posted:

I had an idea last year for a mode that fits somewhere between a standard and a natural run, and I thought I'd toss it out in case anyone else wants to give it a try. The basic idea is that you roll your party according to Gilgabot, and each character gets access to two jobs. The first is whatever they'd get under a natural run, and the second is your choice. This makes the game a little tougher than if each character could use all four jobs, but it's not quite as tedious as a strict natural run would be.

How would this not just end up being a run where you're guaranteed to have Sing, Spellblade, and Mix, and therefore destroy everything with ease?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

ZiegeDame posted:

How would this not just end up being a run where you're guaranteed to have Sing, Spellblade, and Mix, and therefore destroy everything with ease?

I'm pretty sure the point is to only pick from the jobs you are assigned.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Jibo posted:

I'm pretty sure the point is to only pick from the jobs you are assigned.

Yeah. It's still a Fiesta run after all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

I had an idea last year for a mode that fits somewhere between a standard and a natural run, and I thought I'd toss it out in case anyone else wants to give it a try. The basic idea is that you roll your party according to Gilgabot, and each character gets access to two jobs. The first is whatever they'd get under a natural run, and the second is your choice among what you've been assigned. This makes the game a little tougher than if each character could use all four jobs, but it's not quite as tedious as a strict natural run would be.

I like it. It would make it a lot less boring and stupid than a normal natural run.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Of course!

BD Spoilers start here:

My Saturday night just opened up, so I'm gonna brew some coffee and give this run a try.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

ultrafilter posted:

I had an idea similar to this, although instead of choosing the second it would just be two random jobs, all assigned at the very start of the game. Either one would be so much better than a natural run, though.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
A sort of double-natural run where each character get two jobs from their crystal, and is required to hybridize them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

A sort of double-natural run where each character get two jobs from their crystal, and is required to hybridize them.

Thief/Monk, Berserker/Red Mage, Geomancer/Ranger, and Dragoon/Dancer.

GeoRanger would such because you'd have either a Ranger stuck with Gaia or you'd RapidFire bells. Berserker gains nothing from Red Mage besides using Cure out of battle, and Red Mage wouldn't even be able to use Dualcast. The other ones synergize well, but then again the alternatives for each crystal are so strong that you're kinda stuck with those if you want something "bad".

GeoRanger would be so depressing to get though. Even Bard would love Rapidfiring the Apollo Harp.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

!red passes what little magic a red mage gets, giving the berserker rune axe/earth hammer access. !animals with geomancer magic power would be pretty drat nice healing for a long time. Once that tapers off you have rapid fire chicken knife on the geomancer.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
For a non-traditional fiesta I like the idea that at each crystal you also get a new job for the crystals before it and you can no longer use your jobs from the previous crystal.

So a run could look like

Wind: Thief
Water: Black Mage, Berserker
Fire: Monk, Summoner, Geomancer
Earth: Black Mage, Time Mage, Ninja, Samurai

It's like multiple fiestas in one! Deciding whether you can keep any skills you learned before you got the new job is up to you, although I think for most people if that was an option they'd just grind out everything before they got their new jobs and that's boring.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

!red passes what little magic a red mage gets, giving the berserker rune axe/earth hammer access. !animals with geomancer magic power would be pretty drat nice healing for a long time. Once that tapers off you have rapid fire chicken knife on the geomancer.

But you could've had Knight/Blue Mage, Mystic Knight/Time Mage, Ninja/Bard and Samurai/Chemist instead, and you have to finish the game knowing that fact.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
I tried this the last two years, and always stop playing at the same point: in world 3, after getting the first three weapons. I keep getting confused as to what I should do next. Depending on my party, three weapons may be all I need; should I go try to pick up the rest anyway? Is there a certain order I have to visit the dungeons? Or should I just storm the void?

Anyone have any suggestions? I want to break this quitting streak.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Asiina posted:

For a non-traditional fiesta I like the idea that at each crystal you also get a new job for the crystals before it and you can no longer use your jobs from the previous crystal.

So a run could look like

It's like multiple fiestas in one! Deciding whether you can keep any skills you learned before you got the new job is up to you, although I think for most people if that was an option they'd just grind out everything before they got their new jobs and that's boring.

the problem there's the same reason the fiesta works so well, you get most of the jobs super quickly and entirely at the beginning of the game. so for everything except the first like four or five hours it'd just be a normal fiesta

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

LaserShark posted:

I tried this the last two years, and always stop playing at the same point: in world 3, after getting the first three weapons. I keep getting confused as to what I should do next. Depending on my party, three weapons may be all I need; should I go try to pick up the rest anyway? Is there a certain order I have to visit the dungeons? Or should I just storm the void?

So, there is sort of an order you have to follow. You have to complete the pyramid first for story reasons and to get the airship. The only other story dungeon available is the Island Shrine, and you need to complete that to make the Fork Tower appear. The Fork Tower has Holy and Flare (and therefore Flare Spellblade), as well as the Defender Sword and the Wonder Wand (which has some interesting applications). Beating Fork Tower also lets you get the submarine, which you need to access the final two dungeons (which can be done in either order). There is very little in the final two dungeons that's worth getting; the Meteor spell for Time Mages, and maybe an Aegis Shield if you really think you need it. You can get the Leviathan summon, but why would you bother?

So basically, if your team will only benefit from three legendary weapons, and doesn't need any of the other stuff I mentioned, just go straight to the void (after doing sidequesty stuff, of course). If you can use four or more weapons but don't need anything from Fork Tower or later, you can just do the first two dungeons and head to the void. Most other teams can go to the Void after Fork Tower. Pretty much no team will ever need to do all four dungeons unless the player is just a completionist.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Asiina posted:

So a run could look like

Take it a step further: Each character rolls a job from that crystal. So you could get 3x white mage, 1x black mage, or whatever.

Then just reroll their set jobs at each new crystal. They have to play as the latest job they got, and they're allowed to use whichever abilities they had unlocked before their latest job change.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Collecting all twelve weapons or filling out your magic lists make reasonable challenges for some teams, but they're by no means mandatory.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I like Leviathan if I've also got a chemist to mix an all-element boost onto whoever's summoning, though I really only do that when I'm in "trounce Neo-Exdeath so embarrassingly hard because I got both summoner and chemist" mode. For almost all late-game situations, you're better off with cheap and conveniently boosted Syldra, or Bahamut if Syldra's not an option (e.g. enemy absorbs wind).

But as far as practical stopping points, I'd generally agree with Schwartzcough. After pyramid, after shrine, or after fork tower, depending on party comp. Although if you beat the fork tower it doesn't really hurt to loot the other two places for treasure. You can even beat them too, seeing as Leviathan will just let you stroll right on by, and the trio in the trench are trivialized with the magic lamp (which can be conveniently recharged afterward, right there in the trench).

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
Okay, that should help. Appreciate it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I start my new job on the 1st, what better way to celebrate a renewed and increased income than watering the ol' Tree? Been looking forward to the fiesta for a while now, got my first win of the game because of it and it's been great fun since (aside from the grinding I had to do with my no750 party to even survive NED but that's the way it goes sometimes).

Can't wait.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

LaserShark posted:

In a lot of teams you can definitely go straight to the void. If you have black or white Mage, do the fork tower. If you have time Mage and need it to make up for low damage - go do the underground dungeon after the fork tower. Leviathan is powerful but completely unnecessary. Even defender isn't really necessary when you can have Excalibur. And the wonder rod is mostly good for berserking shinryuu. It can get you a couple free casts of spells at random point as well if you have an especially gimpy party.

Basically the easiest thing to do - if you don't know - is ask once you get there. Or, hell, once you get your final job unlocked. There are lots of us here that can tell you what you'll need and what you can easily skip. It just gets easier as you learn the game and all the things you can break along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Reasons to go past the Pyramid:
* You have Black/White Mage or Mystic Knight (Flare/Holy, Fork Tower - if all you have is Black Mage, this is p. skippable)
* You have a Rod user, no other source of Shell, and expect to hit Exdeath underleveled (Wonder Wand, Fork Tower)
* You want to build the ridiculous Turtle Knight (Defender, Fork Tower)
* You have a Blue Mage and missed L3 Flare in Barrier Tower/Exdeath's Castle/Pyramid (L3 Flare, Executor, Island Shrine)
* You want more Mirage Vests because being invincible is in vogue. (Rare Steal, Oiseaurare, Island Shrine / Rare Drop, Tonberry, Istory Falls)
* You have a Time Mage and lack offensive power in the rest of your party (Meteor, Great Sea Trench)
* You have a Summoner, your party packs a lot of !Summon, and you have no good MP restoration (Phoenix, Phoenix Tower)
* You have sword users with good magic/magic-boosting support abilities and need all the extra firepower you can get (Rune Blade and Enhancer, Istory Falls)
* You have a Ranger and want to dunk on Neo Exdeath's Creature part (Artemis Bow, Istory Falls)
* You can't make use of the Rune Axe and are extremely angry about it (Titan's Axe, Istory Falls)
* You have entirely too many shield users (Aegis Shield, Istory Falls)
* You have a Chemist, a Summoner, and a burning need for gratuitous violence (Leviathan, Istory Falls)
* You have lots of !Black/!White/!Time/!Summon flying around and two just isn't enough. (Gold Hairpin - Rare Steal, Gogo, Sunken Tower)

Things that seem like reasons to go past the Pyramid but aren't:
* You have a Monk and the incorrect notion that boosting its attack without grinding will make it useful again (Kaiser Knuckles, Great Sea Trench)

Chaotic Neutral fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 24, 2015

• Locked thread