Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Rip Neji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Holy gently caress Neji too!

Well, at least he got a proper sendoff. He was a major supporting character for the last arc, he got his turn in the spotlight, he influenced the plot in a big way and went down winning a badass fight. They definitely could have handled that worse.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

- AHHHH THE SAND NINJAS RETURN THIS IS SO loving COOOOOOOOL
- Kimmyfuckfacearoo or whatever is just Hako 2.0
- Sand ninja chick is hella cool and strong
- Crow guys finishing move was loving brutal, I love it

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Yeah, I always felt the same way about Kimimaro. We've already seen the whole 'could be a good person but has devoted themselves to an rear end in a top hat' thing.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Holy poo poo so much action.

I forgot to mention in my last post but drunk Rock Lee was ahahahahahaha. Also, did sand ninja girl summon an otter with a flying sword?

- THEY ARE ALIVE!!!!!!!!
- Sasuke trying to kill Naruto was intense
- I was really pissed that he admitted to being his best friend until that reveal
- Sasuke is still a loving tool
- Kimmaroo just dying like that was dumb
- Each time the fox comes out Naruto gets more fox like
- I hope he goes full on fox like Gaara did
- sand ninja girl and shikamaru gonna make the babies CALLING IT NOW

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JazzFlight posted:

Naruto (& Shippuden) would make for an excellent series if they revised it down to between 50-100 episodes at the very max. Then it would be worth sharing with people.

At the beginning of the series, when I was still excited about the show and would marathon episodes, I felt it gave off a little "Harry Potter/X-Men with Ninjas" vibe. You had your Voldemort/snake villain and your Dumbledore and each clan had its own special powers like they were mutants or whatever. It was fun and had some good tense moments.

Then they felt the need to stretch it out past its breaking point with filler and the whole thing lost momentum. You can't even "skip" the filler in the later Shippuden episodes because they pepper in about 2-3 minutes of canon material within each show (which is then largely recaps and filler otherwise).

Such a shame... at least the Ninja Storm games by CyberConnect2 are great.

They could probably cut like 50 episodes off the current count if they just eliminated flashbacks of Itachi's stupid little speech at the massacre.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Holy poo poo so much action.

I forgot to mention in my last post but drunk Rock Lee was ahahahahahaha. Also, did sand ninja girl summon an otter with a flying sword?

- THEY ARE ALIVE!!!!!!!!
- Sasuke trying to kill Naruto was intense
- I was really pissed that he admitted to being his best friend until that reveal
- Sasuke is still a loving tool
- Kimmaroo just dying like that was dumb
- Each time the fox comes out Naruto gets more fox like
- I hope he goes full on fox like Gaara did
- sand ninja girl and shikamaru gonna make the babies CALLING IT NOW

I love this recap.

And I think you mean a weasel with a sickle. I Googled it to make sure, and yes, apparently the Naruto technique is called the Sickle Weasel Technique. http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Sickle_Weasel_Technique

(From folklore: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamaitachi)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You can totally just skip episodes 136-220 and go right into Shippuden, by the way. Every single one of those episodes is filler.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Definitely Skip The Filler

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I have no idea what episode I'm on. Sakura, Pervy Sage, and Naruto are off looking for Sasuke in the Land of Rice or some poo poo. Also, I only have 15-20 episodes before Netfix is out.

Last recap for the day, going out tonight

- Oh great, another "I'm a burden no more" speech from Sakura
- PERVY SAGE #1
- Ramen guy #2
- Oh, great, Sakura 2.0 has joined the party (SASAMAE?) Bitch even has an S name
- PERVY SAGE #1, and 3-20

Arrgytehpirate fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 13, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You're around episodes 136-140. Leave now and never look back.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

You're around episodes 136-140. Leave now and never look back.

But...but... Naruto still hasn't turned into a full on fox or killed Sasuke or become number one Hogkage.

And Sakura is still worthless as gently caress

And I still haven't seen Kakashi backstory episodes.

drat YOU NETFLIX ADDING INCOMPLETE SERIES

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
If that's all Netflix has, then you're good to get out. Any more would just be disappointment. Filler by definition cannot advance the plot and rarely flesh out the characters well, and that's all naruto will be after the rescue sasuke arc until the time skip finally happens.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

But...but... Naruto still hasn't turned into a full on fox or killed Sasuke or become number one Hogkage.

Naruto ends there. Start watching Shippuden now. All you need to know is that Naruto goes trains with Jiraiya for 2.5 years. Kakashi's flashback is in Shippuden.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You don't even have to be a subscriber to watch most of the older episodes Shippuden on Crunchyroll.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
You're free to watch the fillers if you really want to, just understand that none of them will advance the plot in any way. Naruto spends that entire time stuck in limbo, flinging rasengans at filler villains and failing to find Sasuke. Nothing important changes; nothing of value is lost or gained.

Really the only upside of the fillers that comes to mind is that they're your last taste of the golden age of Naruto's peers as meaningful supporting characters. A lot of people say that was one of the best parts about Pt. 1, and once you move on to shippuden, everyone has kind of graduated supporting character school and has gone off to do whatever, which in most cases is 'nothing -- not even anything that you hear about indirectly'. Out of the nine genin not in team 7, only two really get their proper moment. Two more kind of get theirs in that the story pays solemn attention to them on a few occasions, and the other five are nigh totally out of sight and out of mind.

Then again, they do get their dues in other, later filler, so hey.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Just to be clear - Naruto is split into two series: Naruto and Naruto Shippuden.

Naruto ends when sasuke buggers off and Naruto promises to get him back. I think theres like 3 minutes of material in episode 220 that is canon - and its basically pervy sage and Naruto leaving town.

Naruto shippuden starts with Naruto coming back after three years of training. The plot advances again.

http://www.animefillerlist.com/shows/naruto-shippuden is a list of filler episodes. They're not bad (well maybe? I didn't watch most of them) but they don't advance the plot and you can skip them entirely and still understand whats happening (they change literally nothing, you get maybe one line after a filler arc that you will instantly recognise as 'oh that happened in the filler').

Episode 175 of shippuden is a good place to stop. Kakashi story is episode 119-120 and rules.

Although if you get to 175 you will probably want to finish the series. I personally dont think its too bad.

MrFlibble fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 14, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

CURRY

OF

LIFE

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

BlitzBlast posted:

CURRY

OF

LIFE

It's funny how everyone remembers that. I've never even seen the filler but I know about it just because my friend always complained about that specific arc when discussion about filler comes up.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

You don't even have to be a subscriber to watch most of the older episodes Shippuden on Crunchyroll.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

Triple Elation posted:

You're free to watch the fillers if you really want to, just understand that none of them will advance the plot in any way. Naruto spends that entire time stuck in limbo, flinging rasengans at filler villains and failing to find Sasuke. Nothing important changes; nothing of value is lost or gained.

Really the only upside of the fillers that comes to mind is that they're your last taste of the golden age of Naruto's peers as meaningful supporting characters. A lot of people say that was one of the best parts about Pt. 1, and once you move on to shippuden, everyone has kind of graduated supporting character school and has gone off to do whatever, which in most cases is 'nothing -- not even anything that you hear about indirectly'. Out of the nine genin not in team 7, only two really get their proper moment. Two more kind of get theirs in that the story pays solemn attention to them on a few occasions, and the other five are nigh totally out of sight and out of mind.

Then again, they do get their dues in other, later filler, so hey.

That's too bad. One of my favorite things was that while Naruto was the main character there were often 3-4 episodes in a row where you didn't see him, or if you did was was for a 30 second spot.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Hulu also has all of Naruto!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

That's too bad. One of my favorite things was that while Naruto was the main character there were often 3-4 episodes in a row where you didn't see him, or if you did was was for a 30 second spot.

It still works like that in Shippudden. It's just that not all of Naruto's classmates get much focus. Even then, most of them get a cool moment or two.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Oh, you're going to get plenty of that, don't worry. Just -- if Shino is your favorite character or something, don't hold your breath.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Shippuden does have the Team Asuma arch which is pretty good. And there's the time Sasuke fights a certain rapper...

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Triple Elation posted:

Oh, you're going to get plenty of that, don't worry. Just -- if Shino is your favorite character or something, don't hold your breath.

It's me. I'm the guy that had Shino as my favorite character. :sigh:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just in case anyone cares, the filler arc that's been going on in Shippuden finally ended and the show will be returning to the main plot next week.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Larryb posted:

Just in case anyone cares, the filler arc that's been going on in Shippuden finally ended and the show will be returning to the main plot next week.
Finally. Time to end this sucker. Odd how the movie that's set after the finale came out before it (I guess to satisfy manga readers).

I didn't watch that, so I'm spoiler-free as to the ending of the series.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I assume the war ended with no major consequences to the major and minor characters? Or is that what is going to happen when whatever the filler ends? (I haven't watched the show in over a year, as soon as the war was boring me.)

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

IUG posted:

I assume the war ended with no major consequences to the major and minor characters? Or is that what is going to happen when whatever the filler ends? (I haven't watched the show in over a year, as soon as the war was boring me.)

Some people died, some more major than others.

When the filler ends it'll go back into it, but no one knows if it'll go straight through to the finale.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Just watched 413, and it seems like the filler is over! Episode 414 should be canon again!

They completely cut of the final 3rd part of the exams, yay

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

BlitzBlast posted:

CURRY

OF

LIFE

Point of fact, this arc proves to be one of the rare instances where filler content is then used later on in the manga. In this case, Raiga's swords are then used by one of the Swordsmen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

Point of fact, this arc proves to be one of the rare instances where filler content is then used later on in the manga. In this case, Raiga's swords are then used by one of the Swordsmen.

I think the concept of the Hidden Waterfall Village that Kakazu and Foo came from originated from an anime filler as well (specifically in one of the first OVA's made for the series).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 23, 2015

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Waterfall existed before that point in the manga, but it was only ever seen in the anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Teek posted:

Waterfall existed before that point in the manga, but it was only ever seen in the anime.

It did? Must have forgotten about that, where was it first mentioned?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 24, 2015

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
414 is out, and we are indeed back in Canon!

Were at the part where both naruto and sasuke are dying, and Madara got 10-tails jinchuuriki mode

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nevermind, seems like they'll be jumping right back into filler for a bit at least in the next episode. This one seems to be another Obito flashback dealing with the formation of Kakashi's old team

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Larryb posted:

Nevermind, seems like they'll be jumping right back into filler for a bit at least in the next episode. This one seems to be another Obito flashback dealing with the formation of Kakashi's old team

Argh your right. So after one and a half episode of canon were right back into fillertown. They're really trying to stretch this out as much as possible.

I read the manga a bit again, and were halfway through chapter 666 of the manga. Yup halfway. Theres a couple of flashback panels in there, and those are being expanded into entire filler episodes.

The good news though, i doubt itll be much more then a couple of episodes of filler, and when thats done were really close to the Madara vs Gai battle

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

Argh your right. So after one and a half episode of canon were right back into fillertown. They're really trying to stretch this out as much as possible.

I read the manga a bit again, and were halfway through chapter 666 of the manga. Yup halfway. Theres a couple of flashback panels in there, and those are being expanded into entire filler episodes.

The good news though, i doubt itll be much more then a couple of episodes of filler, and when thats done were really close to the Madara vs Gai battle

I can almost garuntee you we'll be getting some Gai-focused filler episodes at that point seeing as the manga does delve a bit into his backstory during it.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Larryb posted:

I can almost garuntee you we'll be getting some Gai-focused filler episodes at that point seeing as the manga does delve a bit into his backstory during it.

Ugh yeah of course. Well im hoping that atleast they get the good animation team working on the actual battle. I've been waiting for that battle for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Larryb posted:

It did? Must have forgotten about that, where was it first mentioned?

Chapter 39 when Kabuto reveals the villages participating in the Chuunin Exam. Waterfall sent 6 Genin.

• Locked thread