Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Steven Eriksons Malazan speed would be interesting too. You'd have to ignore the huge gap between writing book 1 and 2 seeing as he spent years trying to sell it. I'm assuming we go from publication date anyway though. He was putting out 1,000 page monsters on a 12 monthly basis until nearly the end when he slowed a little under the weight of the series. He vowed to slow down after it finished and has still been publishing at an okay speed.

Edit: 10 books over just under 12 years for a total of 3.3 million words. The books were all in the 200-400k word range and had between 12 and 18 months between them.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

YggiDee posted:

I kinda want to see how Terry Pratchett's output compares to the rest here. He wrote a lot of books, a lot of books, holy poo poo, but I imagine they're all a fair bit shorter than A Feast of Crows or w/e all those GOT books are called. Also they're largely self-contained, which probably made it easier.

According to LSpace http://www.lspace.org/books/analysis/statistics.html it's over 15 million words for Pratchett - and that page is pretty out of date. Sanderson must be well over a million by now; Way of Kings alone is 300k http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/word-counts-of-epic-fantasy-novels/. But I think I read somewhere that the most prolific authors in the world are actually trashy romance novelists... so let's not forget that quantity and quality are different.

Interestingly, one of the more prolific authors at the moment is the web-serialist Wildbow AKA JC McCrae. His first story was over 1.5 million words alone. Again, quantity =/= quality, but in this case, the quality's remarkably high for a mostly un-edited work, and whilst his second story wasn't brilliant, the one currently in progress is looking very good.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 23, 2015

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

thespaceinvader posted:

.Interestingly, one of the more prolific authors at the moment is the web-serialist Wildbow AKA JC McCrae. His first story was over 3 million words alone. Again, quantity =/= quality, but in this case, the quality's remarkably high for a mostly un-edited work, and whilst his second story wasn't brilliant, the one currently in progress is looking very good.

Worm is 1.68 million actually. Pact was about half that.

Still, two and a half million words in 4 years is well and truly nuts. It's all a first draft, really, but it's still impressive.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Fixed, thanks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thespaceinvader posted:

Interestingly, one of the more prolific authors at the moment is the web-serialist Wildbow AKA JC McCrae. His first story was over 1.5 million words alone. Again, quantity =/= quality, but in this case, the quality's remarkably high for a mostly un-edited work, and whilst his second story wasn't brilliant, the one currently in progress is looking very good.

I think Wikipedia used to acknowledge an Ah! My Goddess fanfic which was more than two million words long in its estimation of the longest prose stories, though I guess that doesn't really count? (inb4 tedious debate about the validity and relative merits of fanfiction)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tentacles posted:

Holding up WoT as an example of great writing is a good way to make the other side's point for them

Don't get me wrong, I read the books and got some modicum of distraction from them, but they're the craft's equivalent of Dragon Ball Z

You could say the same about 95% of the stuff we discuss in this thread, though. Even at its best the Dresden series isn't all that much more sophisticated than a good Scooby-Doo episode.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You could say the same about 95% of the stuff we discuss in this thread, though. Even at its best the Dresden series isn't all that much more sophisticated than a good Scooby-Doo episode.

This of course begs the discussion of who is Scrappy-Doo

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Fried Chicken posted:

.... Murphy? If this thread is anything to go by? Personally I think Murphy's great and I don't understand y'all at all. :colbert:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

tentacles posted:

Holding up WoT as an example of great writing is a good way to make the other side's point for them

Don't get me wrong, I read the books and got some modicum of distraction from them, but they're the craft's equivalent of Dragon Ball Z

Eye of the world is great. WoT has issues.

Thyrork posted:

.... Murphy? If this thread is anything to go by? Personally I think Murphy's great and I don't understand y'all at all. :colbert:

She makes no goddamn sense but fills a necessary role. If you read Dresden without Dresden, it would be much like Garfield without Garfield, the slow decline of a beat cop into granny batman. I like Marcone, Charity, even Hendricks better as characters, but none of them fill the space Murphy does, despite being equally mundane.

Anias fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 23, 2015

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Arguably any character introduced by the Paranet Papers. Mama Cass Elliot and the Harlem Globetrotters will always be more canonical members of the Scooby Doo cast that that ragamuffin Scrappy. :corsair:

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I would pay good money to watch an episode where Fred ritually sacrificed Velma to genocide a sentient race from Scoobyworld (as masterminded by Shaggy)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tentacles posted:

I would pay good money to watch an episode where Fred ritually sacrificed Velma to genocide a sentient race from Scoobyworld (as masterminded by Shaggy)

The live action Scooby Doo movie from like a decade ago more or less did this (except instead of Fred it was Scrappy).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anias posted:

She makes no goddamn sense but fills a necessary role. If you read Dresden without Dresden, it would be much like Garfield without Garfield, the slow decline of a beat cop into granny batman.

I'm almost certain I've asked about the characters' ages before, but how old is Murphy meant to be at the moment? The series has covered around 10 years since Storm Front; the last few have been grouped much closer together, whereas previously there'd be about a year between each book. Harry mentions in (I think) Changes that he's known Billy for about 10 years, at least, and they first met in the second book. You don't notice Harry ageing, at least, since his magic keeps him vital, but I think he mentions Michael had been starting to slow down even before his injuries force him to retire from being a full-time Knight of the Cross.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

tentacles posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tentacles posted:

Here is a description from the final episode of the last Scooby Doo series:

"The gang and original Mystery Incorporated stand before the Evil Entity. The Entity grabs Scooby-Doo, and mentions that he must die and be reborn as a vessel for its darkness. Scooby breaks free, but Pericles volunteers to be possessed by the being, to which the Entity agrees. Professor Pericles believes he has gained ultimate power (due to his growth in size and appearance), but the Evil Entity kills Pericles and mutates his body into a squid-like monster. The Entity then assumes control of the Kriegstaffelbots and summons other evil Anunnaki, who proceed to offer the townspeople for the Entity to consume"

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm almost certain I've asked about the characters' ages before, but how old is Murphy meant to be at the moment? The series has covered around 10 years since Storm Front; the last few have been grouped much closer together, whereas previously there'd be about a year between each book. Harry mentions in (I think) Changes that he's known Billy for about 10 years, at least, and they first met in the second book. You don't notice Harry ageing, at least, since his magic keeps him vital, but I think he mentions Michael had been starting to slow down even before his injuries force him to retire from being a full-time Knight of the Cross.

Karen was 29 in Stormfront. Skin Game is rough ~15 years afterwards so she is mid-40s.

However Michael in his 40s when we were introduced to him so Murphy is right now hitting the point Michael was at during the start of the series. Even if she becomes a Knight of the Cross or whatever next book, as long as the basic patterns holds she would still have plenty of years left to be a Knight. I'll point out that an old man Japanese with cancer was a completely viable and extremely deadly Knight of the Cross. The other Knights of the Cross are also older than Murphy is.

Also if you want to discuss who Scrappy Doo is:

The character who was introduced later in the series, who dominates huge chunks of the plot, who honestly has kind of lovely plot and whose episodes drag down the series, and who is a long-lost relative of the main character?
It's Thomas.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 23, 2015

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Here is a description from the final episode of the last Scooby Doo series:

That's beautiful. The blood curse is on the viewing audience!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

88% into Dead Beat, and Harry and Butters are...taking a ride...

I love this loving book. I'll post full thoughts when I'm done. But holy poo poo, I love this book.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

thrawn527 posted:

I love this loving book. I'll post full thoughts when I'm done. But holy poo poo, I love this book.

Heh, when I got to that point I got so excited i threw the book across the room. Then ran over grabbed it, and kept going.

Shortly after I got a friend to start reading the series. When he got to that point I got a gibbering happy text from him.

It is probably the best book in the series, though Changes comes close.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

thrawn527 posted:

I've been waiting for this post since you said you started Dead Beat. :toot:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dead Beat was good. Like, really good. It feels like the first book where Butcher stops world building and just gets to live in the world he's been building this whole time. There are elements from each previous book, and he gets to play with all the pieces he's wonderfully set up. Vampires, the wolf pack, demons, fairies, white council, etc., they're all here. It's fun, intense, exciting, and probably my favorite of the series so far. I had already decided this like 75% in.

And then Harry rides a zombie T-Rex into two armies of zombies led by dueling Necromancers.

I knew something with a T-Rex was coming from the image in the OP. But that didn't stop me from grinning and laughing like an idiot the whole sequence. It's just so...perfect. And cathartic, the way Sue just rips into the enemies he's been battling the whole book.

...I need to get everyone I know reading these books. They're so good.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

thrawn527 posted:

Dead Beat was good. Like, really good. It feels like the first book where Butcher stops world building and just gets to live in the world he's been building this whole time. There are elements from each previous book, and he gets to play with all the pieces he's wonderfully set up. Vampires, the wolf pack, demons, fairies, white council, etc., they're all here. It's fun, intense, exciting, and probably my favorite of the series so far. I had already decided this like 75% in.

And then Harry rides a zombie T-Rex into two armies of zombies led by dueling Necromancers.

I knew something with a T-Rex was coming from the image in the OP. But that didn't stop me from grinning and laughing like an idiot the whole sequence. It's just so...perfect. And cathartic, the way Sue just rips into the enemies he's been battling the whole book.

...I need to get everyone I know reading these books. They're so good.

Dead Beat while amazing is actually topped by a few books after it for me. Small Favor, Turn Coat, Changes just to name a few. The Dinoride really did kick start a crazy pace for awhile.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
In fact small favor, turn coat, and changes are back to back, so yeah that whole section of the arc is a fuckin ride.

Also, you got White Night up soon, some folks dislike it, but it's one of my favorites.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So what's with the whole "DIE ALONE" curse? A Kirk thing where, because it was said by Liver Spots, he figures he now knows he'll die alone whether it's true or not? Actual curse? Stop asking questions?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thrawn527 posted:

So what's with the whole "DIE ALONE" curse? A Kirk thing where he figures he now knows he'll die alone? Actual curse? Stop asking questions?

:allears:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

So what's with the whole "DIE ALONE" curse? A Kirk thing where, because it was said, he figures he now knows he'll die alone whether it's true or not? Actual curse? Stop asking questions?

All I will say is that it is relevant. That's all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Yeah yeah alright. I'll say I'm most curious about that, and fallen angel coin lady (can't remember her name).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah yeah alright. I'll say I'm most curious about that, and fallen angel coin lady (can't remember her name).

Lasciel. Also relevant.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Lasciel. Also relevant.

That much I figured. It'd be impossible for her to not be relevant. But still good to know.

Also Butters is awesome, and Mouse is, like, really smart for a dog. And the best.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

:allears::allears::allears:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wittgen posted:

Worm is 1.68 million actually. Pact was about half that.

Still, two and a half million words in 4 years is well and truly nuts. It's all a first draft, really, but it's still impressive.

That reminds me I need to back and finish Pact. I lost interest in it about two thirds of the way through (around about February this year) when I realised I'd lost my mental image of what the protagonist even looked like

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
:allears::allears::allears:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

So what's with the whole "DIE ALONE" curse? A Kirk thing where, because it was said by Liver Spots, he figures he now knows he'll die alone whether it's true or not? Actual curse? Stop asking questions?

Well, Harry' has already talked about Death Curses, and Quintus was enough of a practitioner that he could throw one... As for what it means, I'll refer you to all the ":allears:"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, Harry' has already talked about Death Curses, and Quintus was enough of a practitioner that he could throw one... As for what it means, I'll refer you to all the ":allears:"

Sure, but that is not at all what I've been lead to believe a Death Curse is like. But yeah, I'll read and find out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

He was actually speaking German - "The Alone". We don't know what it means yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thrawn527 posted:

Sure, but that is not at all what I've been lead to believe a Death Curse is like. But yeah, I'll read and find out.

A death curse can be pretty much anything. It's just whatever you pour all of your life force into. You don't even have to be dying to do it...but it would kill you to do so.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite part of Dead Beat is the implication that Morgan ended up wearing and using Butters' polka suit to keep the zombie dinosaur going at the end.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

thrawn527 posted:

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

jivjov posted:

A death curse can be pretty much anything. It's just whatever you pour all of your life force into. You don't even have to be dying to do it...but it would kill you to do so.

Yep
It's basically burning you out for one last superduper spell.
In grave peril or summer knight, when the reds took out archangel, the senior council member there (petrovich?) released a death curse that nuked the whole site.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
The funny thing is Harry also did something similar in Grave Peril when he nuked the red court. It is the only time in the series his heart stops due to using to much magic but the white god saves him due to Michaels prayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The end of Dead Beat is still probably my favorite moment in the series. There are better books - just barely. There are more amazing moments. There are some phenomenal endings in other books. But the last stretch of Dead Beat really sums up Dresden Files in a perfect package and serves it up neatly for you on a silver platter. It shows you what type of stakes the series can have, the type of humor the book can carry, and the batshit "haha, what? YES!" moments that I live for. I wish I could use it as a scene to describe to people to get them hooked because I know a few I could draw in that way, but it's just too good to spoil early. It's peak Harry Dresden and for the longest time I thought nothing would ever beat it.

Thankfully I was wrong, but it's my favorite moment forever.