Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Why is this pencil in the bottom right and how do I move/get rid of it so I dont have to dodge it every time I scroll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's the new FAB (whatever that means) post button

E: it can be disabled in Device and Navigation

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

site posted:

Thank you, friend, I was trying to find the setting and missed it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mustache Ride posted:

That platform that had the huge security flaw when it was installed in the Starbucks app last year?

Oh okay then....

Sorry about the screenshot, fixed.

No, that's not a flaw with crashlytics, it's a flaw with the Starbucks app.

Starbucks chose to log that data in a plain text format. That doesn't have anything to do with Crashlytics other than the fact that that happened to be the logging platform Starbucks used.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 22, 2015

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Small thing: when in landscape mode, I can't pull down far enough for the refresh to kick in. The little circle appears, but by the time my thumb is at the bottom of my screen, it's not enough. Portrait mode (and just hitting the refresh button) works fine, though.

Lollipop 5.1 running on a Nexus 4.

You can adjust the pull to refresh distance (percent of screen) in the settings. I had to do the same thing for my tablet. 25% works pretty well.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

The new version is very pretty and I like it, but it's completely destroyed my battery life compared to the old one. Awful is using more than twice as much battery as the screen currently, which seems abnormal. I'm on KitKat 4.4.4 on a Nexus 5.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Everything's different :byodood: :derp:

But it's awesome and has been working great, so thanks a ton.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Aleph Null posted:

You can adjust the pull to refresh distance (percent of screen) in the settings. I had to do the same thing for my tablet. 25% works pretty well.

Ah, thanks! I had no idea this was even an option.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I was really curious, mainly because I'm looking at adding Crashlytics to a project of mine and people will balk at the READ_PHONE_STATE permission. Anyway I found the source of the READ_PHONE_STATE permission and it's not Crashlytics -- the manifest in Crashlytics' AAR, or any other dependent library for this project, doesn't specify it at all. It's also not the Awful app harvesting your poo poo.

It looks like the build tools is adding it automatically, because of one of the upstream dependencies doesn't specify a targetSdkVersion in its own manifest. I took a look in the manifest merger log file:

code:
android:uses-permission#android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE
IMPLIED from AndroidManifest.xml:2:1 reason: pl.polidea.treeview has a targetSdkVersion < 4
It looks like the maintainer hasn't bothered to respond to any issues on that treeview library in a while so they'll probably not fix it. So maybe just tell the manifest merger to nuke it via this line your top level AndroidManifest.xml and it's off to the races.

code:
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE" tools:node="remove" />
Anyway, in the meantime y'alls can rest assured that nobody actually wants your phone number, a library the app is using just hosed up.

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/Manifest.permission.html#READ_PHONE_STATE

Google posted:

Note: If both your minSdkVersion and targetSdkVersion values are set to 3 or lower, the system implicitly grants your app this permission. If you don't need this permission, be sure your targetSdkVersion is 4 or higher.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 22, 2015

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sorry if this has been asked because I just skimmed the last 2 pages, are there any plans to change how the post button works? Mainly that it's useful maybe 2% of the time, but takes up a bunch of screen space 100% of the time. Can it go away while scrolling down?

On the other hand the rest of the new design is great, thanks for the awesome work.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
7 posts up

site posted:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Can anything be done to prevent exiting immersive mode when activating the drop-down menu on the thread view?

Similarly, on the post composing screen.

2012 Moto X, stock unrooted, Kit Kat.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Occasionally the app will fail to load anything, and closing the app or clearing its cache will reveal it's lost my credentials. I can re-enter them and log back in just fine, but I never lost them in 3.1.2b.

Also confirming another Moto user's UI distortion, also a holdover from 3.1.2b.

Moto X 2014
LXE22.46-11 (5.0 final stock) with officially-supported f2fs /data partition (4.4 was ext4-only so you either have to buy it at 5.0+ or factory reset after the update to get f2fs)
root, busybox, adaway, betterbatterystats, no framework or build.prop mods
(none of which caused a problem in a month with 3.1.2b on this phone, or with a variety of devices, frameworks and states through 3.1.2b's life - but twice on 3.2 today)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 23, 2015

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
The new update is a disaster on my HTC Rezound. It won't let me scroll down my bookmarks. When I click on a subforum, it still thinks I'm on the bookmarks page, so it ends up opening a thread from it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I was having troubles with the thread listings until i rebooted my tablet.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Please make the post button not the way it is now.

Also, thread formatting issues on HTC One M7:

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 23, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If I come back to the app after not being in it for a while, it always says 'loading failed'.

2014 Moto X, 5.0.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

zenintrude posted:

site posted:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

If I come back to the app after not being in it for a while, it always says 'loading failed'.

2014 Moto X, 5.0.

I get this too. It seems to happen when I open the app from the Bookmarks shortcut. It will say Loading Failed, but my bookmarks still refresh and update.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

DrBouvenstein posted:

2014 Moto X, 5.0.

If your situation's anything like mine it forgot your login whatevers.

Also it was you with the UI distortion, wasn't it.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

site posted:

I was having troubles with the thread listings until i rebooted my tablet.

That fixed everything!

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Really enjoying the material design-ish update! Feels a bit...slower, perhaps? No issues with it yet, though.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Phone view doesn't work, if I click a subforum, it just brings me to the bookmark approximately on the same screen position. Or something. I want to open a subforum, but instead I get a thread.

Also why do the tags need to be so big?

E: ok hard reboot fixed thread bug (or maybe disabling page transformation fixed it), but the tags still make every thread title unneccessarily big.

E2: could someone post a link to the previous version

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 23, 2015

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Nexus 5, Android 5.1

I can't get rid of the FAB. I tried toggling the setting on and off but it does nothing.

Also, the wording "No FAB in the thread view: Y/N" is really bad and you should probably change it to something easier to parse. Selecting "Yes" to set the state of something to "no I dont't want to see this" is just asking for confusion.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

zenintrude posted:

Enable thread tags as a workaround.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Jubs posted:

That fixed everything!

I take it back. It won't let me scroll through my bookmarks again.

I would like to download the previous version as well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Loezi posted:

Nexus 5, Android 5.1

I can't get rid of the FAB. I tried toggling the setting on and off but it does nothing.

Also, the wording "No FAB in the thread view: Y/N" is really bad and you should probably change it to something easier to parse. Selecting "Yes" to set the state of something to "no I dont't want to see this" is just asking for confusion.

site posted:

Just to be clear, at least on Lollipop 5.1 on a Nexus 4, you need to actually close the app and reopen it for that option to actually change; simply going into the settings and changing it didn't actually do anything.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I hate/fear change. I don't like the new thread view layout and miss the black title bar. Thanks for giving options on the floating action button!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
When the page transformation is set to zoom out, for some reason I'm unable to scroll the thread list or thread view.

Also seconding fixing the wording on the FAB disable option, and mention it requires a restart.

I like the fancy new thread tags though!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sereri posted:

That sounds incredibly weird. Please report if it happens again. Might be a random lollipop hiccup

The Android crash dialog doesn't come up; how/where should I report it, and what information will you need?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
OK yeah please for a way to turn off thread icons. They're comically huge.

Edit; Oooooh nevermind

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Zom Aur posted:

Enable thread tags as a workaround.

Kind of a lesser of two evils situation here, I guess... Really not interested in the distracting thread tags, but also annoyed by the incorrectly aligned titles. Hoping for a fix.

Would also be interested in the previous version as it appears I too hate change :(

(appreciate the hell out of the work you guys have done to make SA usable on mobile though!)

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

Testing weird characters :
Ønskebrønn
Kamelåså
Kjært barn har mange navn
Coup de cœr
Ei saa peittää
Façade
Hôtel
Raphaël

Someone needs to quote the weird character words, this used to create problems

The visual design looks a lot better, the feel is a lot more intuitive I feel, I'm interested in seeing how the app affects the battery life. Good job.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Stellar Curiosity posted:

Testing weird characters :
Ønskebrønn
Kamelåså
Kjært barn har mange navn
Coup de cœr
Ei saa peittää
Façade
Hôtel
Raphaël

Someone needs to quote the weird character words, this used to create problems

The visual design looks a lot better, the feel is a lot more intuitive I feel, I'm interested in seeing how the app affects the battery life. Good job.
Quoting from my en-us Moto X (2013), all those characters are even showing up in the preview screen (as opposed to the escaped "&#xxxx;" values)

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 23, 2015

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Nth Doctor posted:

Can anything be done to prevent exiting immersive mode when activating the drop-down menu on the thread view?

Similarly, on the post composing screen.

2012 Moto X, stock unrooted, Kit Kat.
Not as far as I know. It's pretty jarring which is among the things why it's disabled by default and hidden in the settings. If I remember it correctly, the popup steals the focus from the app and the app 'forgets' for a moment it's supposed to be in immersion mode. Or something.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Occasionally the app will fail to load anything, and closing the app or clearing its cache will reveal it's lost my credentials. I can re-enter them and log back in just fine, but I never lost them in 3.1.2b.

Also confirming another Moto user's UI distortion, also a holdover from 3.1.2b.

Moto X 2014
LXE22.46-11 (5.0 final stock) with officially-supported f2fs /data partition (4.4 was ext4-only so you either have to buy it at 5.0+ or factory reset after the update to get f2fs)
root, busybox, adaway, betterbatterystats, no framework or build.prop mods
(none of which caused a problem in a month with 3.1.2b on this phone, or with a variety of devices, frameworks and states through 3.1.2b's life - but twice on 3.2 today)
I've had that for some time during the beta though after a pull request it seemed to be gone. Try clearing the app data and report back if it comes up again.

zenintrude posted:

That should be solved in the 3.2.0.1 version that seems to be already going around.

DrBouvenstein posted:

2014 Moto X, 5.0.

XIII posted:

I get this too. It seems to happen when I open the app from the Bookmarks shortcut. It will say Loading Failed, but my bookmarks still refresh and update.
I can't reproduce it. I could set you up with a version that has detailed logging enabled, maybe you could look in the logcat what actually fails to load

midnightclimax posted:

Phone view doesn't work, if I click a subforum, it just brings me to the bookmark approximately on the same screen position. Or something. I want to open a subforum, but instead I get a thread.

Also why do the tags need to be so big?

E: ok hard reboot fixed thread bug (or maybe disabling page transformation fixed it), but the tags still make every thread title unneccessarily big.
I hope it's solved (aside from the tags), if not please report back.

Jubs posted:

The new update is a disaster on my HTC Rezound. It won't let me scroll down my bookmarks. When I click on a subforum, it still thinks I'm on the bookmarks page, so it ends up opening a thread from it.

Jubs posted:

I take it back. It won't let me scroll through my bookmarks again.
Seems to be the same error as above? Seems that for some reason the forum doesn't actually get loaded. Can you try and refresh the forum next time?

A Pinball Wizard posted:

When the page transformation is set to zoom out, for some reason I'm unable to scroll the thread list or thread view.

Also seconding fixing the wording on the FAB disable option, and mention it requires a restart.

I like the fancy new thread tags though!
The transformation thing is really weird and as far as I can tell, it's the only one that does it. I'll probably just remove zoom out for now.

As for the FAB, it shouldn't need a restart (and doesn't for me) but I added a few lines of code that should make sure it works for everyone that way.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

zenintrude posted:

I also have this same problem when I turn thread categories off. (E: Nexus 5)

With the categories on, the category images are big and square, they were the normal thin ones like on the web forums in the previous app version. Any way to get the small category images back? I preferred the small ones to the current big versions, you could see more threads at once.

Additional edit: it looks much better in the new 3.2.0.1 version (thanks for the quick fix!), but I still liked the small tags. Any chance that would be an option?

maniacdevnull fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 23, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lot of people getting Samsunged huh

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

baka kaba posted:

Lot of people getting Samsunged huh

Judging by the amount of people who have HTC and Motorola devices I'd say...no...not really.

I like the new update. The disabling the FAB took a full close of the app to actually work, other than that no issues yet. Running on a second gen Moto G, and a Galaxy Tab 4 7.0

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Judging by the amount of people who have HTC and Motorola devices I'd say...no...not really.

Sorry my bad, it's one person getting Samsunged repeatedly (not in the thread)

Also if anyone's having trouble, it might be worth uninstalling completely, then reinstalling and setting up your preferences again (and not exporting and importing them either). That way you'll be starting fresh, and you'll get to poke around and see what new options there are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm having a few problems with the new version. Sometimes the ap won't respond to swipes unless I refresh the page. Other times, I'll have the ap click through onto a page I previously visited. Example: Let's say I browsed SH/SC, and then went back to the main forum index. If I were to select games (or any other sub forum), the ap instead takes me to the SH/SC thread that would have had the corresponding position of the sub forum I selected. As of right now, the awful ap is barely usable on my phone as of this current version.