Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My favorite moment may still be when I was 19, riding around with a friend of mine who was mid 20s and black.

He lived in a lovely part of town, and whatta you know we get pulled over. "suspicion of a stolen vehicle" was the excuse, as he had out of state plates.

They immediately split us, and first thing the cop did was try to get friendly (as his partner glared at me, hand on weapon, holster unclipped) and start trying to get me to say he had drugs or weapons. " Now, we know YOU don't. But he does. He has to. Look where y'all are driving."

Neither of us had anything, took about an hour, and afterward all they were asking him was what drugs he was buying/carrying/selling. And why else he'd ever be hanging out with a white kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So apparently I might have broke my own TB like an idiot. I was just told that I shouldn't have moved the butterfly at all when cleaning the carbon buildup. I don't see why not, but whoops. :(

I just drove it around for 15 minutes. It would idle great at like 800 RPMs for 5-10 seconds but then it would start bouncing around between 500 and 1500.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So apparently I might have broke my own TB like an idiot. I was just told that I shouldn't have moved the butterfly at all when cleaning the carbon buildup. I don't see why not, but whoops. :(

Does it need to re-learn the butterfly position or something?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah I got nothin against LE but I don't talk to them about anything if I even get a whiff that I'm under suspicion of anything. You can be friendly and cooperative all you want, but one day you are going to get burned and by the time you realize you should have shut up it's way too late.

From a good friend who is a cop (and has been for over 25 years): "DON'T TALK TO COPS YOU loving IDIOT."

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Does it need to re-learn the butterfly position or something?

This dude on a Cobalt SS FB page said you can damage it by moving the butterfly but that just doesn't sound right to me. I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to see if it just needed to relearn it but nothing changed. :doh:

I also just read this:

quote:

Our cars are equiped with an adaptive PCM that "learns" our driving behaviour and adjusts tables to match. When you force open a "fly-by-wire" throttle body, the rest zone goes out the window and the idle goes to hell. The only way to fix this is to either get the PCM flashed to stock or to allow the PCM to find the normal idle again.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 23, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GM ESi posted:

Throttle Learn
Description
The engine control module (ECM) learns the idle position of the throttle plate to ensure the correct idle. The learned airflow values are stored within the ECM. These values are learned to adjust for production variation and will continuously learn during the life of the vehicle to compensate for reduced airflow due to coking. Anytime the throttle body airflow rate changes, for example due to cleaning or replacing, the values must be relearned.

A vehicle that had a heavily coked throttle body that has been cleaned or replaced may take several drive cycles to learn out the coking. To accelerate the process, the scan tool has the ability to reset all learned values back to zero. A new ECM will also have values set to zero.

TL;DR: you need a proper scan tool or you need to tough it out over several drive cycles.

I'd trust the actual dealer service information a lot more than forum rano's opinions.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah I just read that bit myself. Seems it will correct itself over time.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

This dude on a Cobalt SS FB page said you can damage it by moving the butterfly but that just doesn't sound right to me. I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to see if it just needed to relearn it but nothing changed. :doh:

Why not just disconnect the negative cable and step on the brake pedal for a few minutes till it drains it. Some cars disconnecting the battery isn't enough to reset the memory.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Can anyone make me an animated avatar for Slit from Fury Road? Pretty much anything will work but I was thinking specifically the spitting gas. I just have no idea how to capture from YouTube and make it, and you guys are cooler than the other threads.

I got a great idea to use it for

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

T1g4h posted:

So the action movie equivalent of a Sunn O))) concert? Because i'd be okay with this.

I am so loving hyped to seewitness them in August. It's gonna be loving amazing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SouthsideSaint posted:

Why not just disconnect the negative cable and step on the brake pedal for a few minutes till it drains it. Some cars disconnecting the battery isn't enough to reset the memory.

Because the ECU in his car stores adaptive values in NVRAM. No amount of discharging is going to reset them, only a GM-aware scan tool or time.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Can anyone make me an animated avatar for Slit from Fury Road? Pretty much anything will work but I was thinking specifically the spitting gas. I just have no idea how to capture from YouTube and make it, and you guys are cooler than the other threads.

I got a great idea to use it for

Give me the video URL and the portion you want made into a gif (ex: 10:13 - 10:15) and I'll whip something up.

Motronic posted:

Because the ECU in his car stores adaptive values in NVRAM. No amount of discharging is going to reset them, only a GM-aware scan tool or time.

Sorry for the idiot question but I'm guessing the reset codes thing on the OBDII android Torque application wouldn't work?

vvv Thanks! I love reading your posts because I usually learn something vvv

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 23, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Extra posted:

Sorry for the idiot question but I'm guessing the reset codes thing on the OBDII android Torque application wouldn't work?

On this ECU no. On others (mostly older) it does. There isn't a hard set rule on this behavior. It definitely varies based on the make/model of ECU.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I found where my slow coolant leak is. It's coming out somewhere on the thermostat housing, but I can't find the exact spot after looking at it from several angles. Probably going to replace the temp sensors incase it's the little ring gasket gone bad, and it that doesn't fix it I'll replace the housing.

Edit: wow ford why the gently caress is this thing made of plastic

brand engager fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 23, 2015

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just took it for another 15 minute drive. It is idling a lot better now at 800 RPM but the CEL just came on as I turned on to my street. Sigh...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Extra posted:

Give me the video URL and the portion you want made into a gif (ex: 10:13 - 10:15) and I'll whip something up.

vvv Thanks! I love reading your posts because I usually learn something vvv

2:02 is pretty much perfect in every way

https://youtu.be/hEJnMQG9ev8

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Hey lets keep the shop open with 4 guys standing around on memorial day weekend with Brat Fest going on across town.

All floors are sparkling, racks are painted, even the drat pipe bender is organized cleaned, primed and painted.

3 more hours to go....

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

2:02 is pretty much perfect in every way

https://youtu.be/hEJnMQG9ev8

If the framing / duration / quality / etc. isn't right just bug me and I'll make another one. Not sure how to make it less "jumpy" between loops and still stay within the 150kb limit.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Extra posted:

If the framing / duration / quality / etc. isn't right just bug me and I'll make another one. Not sure how to make it less "jumpy" between loops and still stay within the 150kb limit.

I don't know if this is possible, I'm just going off what the other ones people are doing look like, drop a couple frames as needed and make it just look like he's waving?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I don't know if this is possible, I'm just going off what the other ones people are doing look like, drop a couple frames as needed and make it just look like he's waving?

That's a great idea:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Haha oh man let's see if I can format this all over my phone, perfect

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently the avatar limit is now 100kb not 150 :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

What the gently caress

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Oh it's always been 150x150 and 100kb, I was confused too

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just took it for another 15 minute drive. It is idling a lot better now at 800 RPM but the CEL just came on as I turned on to my street. Sigh...

You did exactly the same thing I did - cracked or split the TB gasket.

They're $2 at O'Reilly's. And IIRC the "re-learn" is just key on/engine off, slowly push throttle to floor, return, repeat a couple of times. Then shut off, then start engine and let idle without touching the throttle.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Fixed, sorry.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
WITNESS ME BROTHERS

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

14 INCH SLIT posted:

WITNESS ME BROTHERS

Holy poo poo that's amazing :lol:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Well after spilling what I hope is enough blood for the rest of the year on my garage floor today, I finally have a massive headache. Don't get hit near the crown of your head with a 1/2 ratchet, boys and girls.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

14 INCH SLIT posted:

WITNESS ME BROTHERS

t minus 7 hours until I finally experience this movie! :dance:

I'm trying to hold the excitement in, but there are few movies I've seen more than the original trilogy. Maybe only Star Wars?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

14 INCH SLIT posted:

WITNESS ME BROTHERS

Gold.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SuperDucky posted:

Well after spilling what I hope is enough blood for the rest of the year on my garage floor today, I finally have a massive headache. Don't get hit near the crown of your head with a 1/2 ratchet, boys and girls.

YOU MUST GIVE BLOOD TO THE BLOOD GOD!!!

<clonk>

BLOOD GOD IS APPEASED

e: I can get behind a double post but a double quote?

Tide fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 23, 2015

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Movie loving killed it. Went to Ballard had some grub and some beers and yesssssss. Having a smoke while the wife browses a consignment shop resisting the urge to yell WITNESS ME

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

14 INCH SLIT posted:

WITNESS ME BROTHERS

WITNEEEEEEEEEEEESS

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Mat_Drinks posted:

t minus 7 hours until I finally experience this movie! :dance:

I'm trying to hold the excitement in, but there are few movies I've seen more than the original trilogy. Maybe only Star Wars?

t minus 4 hours for me, I can't wait. I haven't been this excited to go see a movie in...ever?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Reserved tickets for sunday at 7:15. I asked my dad to go with me, he wasnt aware that a new movie was being made and I haven't told him anything about it. :getin:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Not sure I like the new makeover to Awful App.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Not sure I like the new makeover to Awful App.

Turning off the floating reply button helped, but the bookmarks page seems really sparse now thanks to the bigger post icons.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Was gonna go home and drink some beer after a lovely day at work, instead I spent nearly an hour helping my elderly alcoholic neighbor get up from where he fell on his driveway. He won't get the help he needs, his kids/family won't talk to him and he's just slowly trying to kill himself by getting shitfaced constantly and smoking like a chimney while refusing to see any sort of doctor or allow an ambulance to be called when this kind of poo poo happens because they would baker act him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Elmnt80 posted:

Was gonna go home and drink some beer after a lovely day at work, instead I spent nearly an hour helping my elderly alcoholic neighbor get up from where he fell on his driveway. He won't get the help he needs, his kids/family won't talk to him and he's just slowly trying to kill himself by getting shitfaced constantly and smoking like a chimney while refusing to see any sort of doctor or allow an ambulance to be called when this kind of poo poo happens because they would baker act him.
Get him an account, sounds like a fair few of AI's regulars.

• Locked thread