Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
You guys keep saying Mad Max Mad Max but its getting its rear end kicked by Pitch Perfect 2 right now.

your all making me super excited to go see it next week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Preoptopus posted:

You guys keep saying Mad Max Mad Max but its getting its rear end kicked by Pitch Perfect 2 right now.

Further proof that Fury Road is the future we deserve.

Why wait? :getin:

can't wait to see it tomorrow omg

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Preoptopus posted:

your all making me super excited to go see it next week

And Justin Beiber outsells deserving artists.

I saw it, and between how much I loved it and dinner, my wife finally agreed to go see it Sunday. It's an amazing goddamn film.

WITNESS ME

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Saw Mad Max today too. It definitely needs more supercharger whine. And maybe I'm just half-deaf but I wish the theater I saw it in had cranked the volume knob another 50% higher.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nm posted:

This is why you NEVER loving talk to the cops.

Are you loving kidding me?

I never did drugs so the only thing I ever got hassled for was hanging out in parking lots with my car and the only thing cops did was pull me over :v:

They have massive egos and the more you "respect" them the faster they gtfo

Again, ime. Also Aussie cops are quite different except nazis about speeding so idk

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Never talk to cops without a lawyer, especially if you are even remotely interesting as a suspect for...well...anything

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Protip: Not all cops are dicks, some are pretty chill even. Your experiences may differ based on area / personality of the particular officer but i've had nothing but positive experiences with the cops i've dealt with here. Been pulled over for numerous speeding incidents (20+ over a few times), missing headlight (as in, no light in the housing due to a previous incident), and various other issues, been let off with warnings every time.

Again, experiences may vary based on your area and luck, but "Don't talk to cops without a lawyer" is going a bit overboard imo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Rolled out an Asterisk PBX at work. Thoroughly impressed, and I thin pur call center will like it. Took a long time to finish the config, but its up and running.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

T1g4h posted:

Protip: Not all cops are dicks, some are pretty chill even. Your experiences may differ based on area / personality of the particular officer but i've had nothing but positive experiences with the cops i've dealt with here. Been pulled over for numerous speeding incidents (20+ over a few times), missing headlight (as in, no light in the housing due to a previous incident), and various other issues, been let off with warnings every time.

Again, experiences may vary based on your area and luck, but "Don't talk to cops without a lawyer" is going a bit overboard imo.

Statistics bear it out, anecdotes notwithstanding.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

T1g4h posted:

Protip: Not all cops are dicks

True, not all of them are. Some, which is enough. They're human, under pressures to close cases like a salesman is to make quota.

I will bet you an avatar or something that if you take this scenario to one of the cop threads in GIP they wound tell you not to talk without a lawyer if you are a suspect.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There's a big difference between not saying anything and being a dick. And guess what nm does for a living.

I was pulled over and politely refused to let them search my car. Officer got pretty accusatory but couldn't do much other than let me go. Reason for stopping me was "dim license plate bulb."

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

jamal posted:

There's a big difference between not saying anything and being a dick. And guess what nm does for a living.

I was pulled over and politely refused to let them search my car. Officer got pretty accusatory but couldn't do much other than let me go. Reason for stopping me was "dim license plate bulb."

The one time I did that I ended up on the side of the road for four hours, and it ended with a drug dog in my truck.

They found nothing, as I had nothing.

gently caress cops, get a god drat lawyer.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

jamal posted:

Refusing to let them search is one thing. I have zero issue with that, I'd likely do the same thing regardless as to whether or not I even had anything in my car. But just straight up going "Nope, I want a lawyer, not gonna talk to you." period with any dealings with the law seems a bit silly.

But that's just me. And considering I just wasted 4 hours of my life trying to install a NFS Shift 1 mod on Shift 2 before finally realizing my mistake, I think it's safe to say i'm pretty goddamn retarded at times :v:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Welp just got back from my third viewing of Mad Max, and I'm still noticing things I didn't see on the other two visits, and things I never would have even registered had I not binge read the entire GBS and CD threads to prepare for number 3

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

I'm... sorta back. Still posting from a hospital, but much more comfortable.

Combination of the ever-old nemesis of alcohol withdrawal; my at-home tapering didn't work as well as I thouhht. Add some chest pains, nasty dehydration, and the doctors think there's now a side of coronoey artery diseaee. Even now, on who knows how many meds that would renter most elephants uncsoncious...I'm mostly coherent. Need a cane to stand easily. Chest and left arm are still sore.

Stop killing yourself! Glad you at least went to the hospital.

So I got the ag pipe installed today. Had to open the trench out some more. Only had one leak in the pipe on the first attempt where it's attached on to an adaptor near the meter, but I expected that. More tape and cranking it down until the hex bit of the brass adaptor chewed into the poly adaptor did the job. It just couldn't go deep enough. Cut the section of old gal pipe that ran through the front yard and bent it in the middle so I could drag it out. Had to be mindful of the power feed for the house because it stuck up so far. It all went well except that I forgot to get something to anchor the new poly riser to the old galvanized riser with, so it's held there with zip ties for now.
The new ball valve tap is the poo poo. I think it might be stainless. Anyway gently caress I'm tired and sore. I filled in my emergency drain pits and the trench too. Still only the first part of many to come but the water doesn't act like it has prostate issues any more. And it's pretty clear too instead of hazy, dark brown or black. Looking forward to seeing it in action with the timed garden sprinklers. Also looking forward to trying it with the hose. Six goddamn years of using it with the head on "Jet" to get more than a metre of projection. Watering things or trying to wash a car sucked hairy balls.
Still have no idea whether ag pipe is remotely legal but gently caress it. I fail to see the difference between what I did and it's intended use.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Went out and saw mad max tonight. I swear the only reason they had any semblance of a plot was so that they could have more cars chasing them, more scenes of cars chasing them and more loving explosions. This is in no way a criticism.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T1g4h posted:

Refusing to let them search is one thing. I have zero issue with that, I'd likely do the same thing regardless as to whether or not I even had anything in my car. But just straight up going "Nope, I want a lawyer, not gonna talk to you." period with any dealings with the law seems a bit silly.

But that's just me. And considering I just wasted 4 hours of my life trying to install a NFS Shift 1 mod on Shift 2 before finally realizing my mistake, I think it's safe to say i'm pretty goddamn retarded at times :v:

It's not silly if you've been through it and see how they work first hand. When I was 19 the cops effectively got me to incriminate myself and my friends by pretending to be my buddies that "just wanted to talk for a bit". If I would have kept my mouth shut and got a lawyer right away I would have never ended up a witness in a court martial.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Anyone who doesn't consult a cop for anything even potentially more severe than a traffic stop is loving stupid. And that's coming from a white dude from the south.

Anyone who posits "not all cops" gets about as much credence from me as me telling a woman, "yeah, baby, that's the first time that's ever happened."
Don't gently caress around with people who have literal unrivaled impunity from loving you hard and for no reason other than to make their day.

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 23, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

Went out and saw mad max tonight. I swear the only reason they had any semblance of a plot was so that they could have more cars chasing them, more scenes of cars chasing them and more loving explosions. This is in no way a criticism.

Apparently, Miller's confirmed there are going to be at least a couple more after Fury Road too :neckbeard:

e: Also I really don't give enough of a gently caress about this discussion to actually properly debate it :v:

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Beach Bum posted:

Saw Mad Max today too. It definitely needs more supercharger whine. And maybe I'm just half-deaf but I wish the theater I saw it in had cranked the volume knob another 50% higher.

I haven't seen it yet but man theaters are just way too loving loud. I already have hearing damage and I wear earplugs to every movie because goddamn.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

T1g4h posted:

My experience is only several thousand criminal cases where in ONE case I thought "this guy should have talked to the cops" (seriously, and for most of the bar there are none) and in the 98% when they talked thought "Jesus gently caress, you screwed this case." Even when they are innocent.

The goal of the police officer is to close the case, find the suspect, arrest, and send the charge to the prosecutors office. In this case, Rhyno was really, really lucky the cop had a suspect (assuming he is tell the truth). That mixed story would certainly be enough to raise suspicions, and it just might be enough to charge. Maybe not enough to convict, but do you have enough for bail and will your job still be there?

Similarly, cops are trained in pretty powerful techniques that can get even innocent people to confess or at least say incriminating things. They often are not trained in the strength of the technique, just the tools. See the Reid technique.

9 times of of 10, you'll probably be fine, but that one time you'll meet someone like me in a jumpsuit and you'll either plea to get out (yay criminal record!) or stay in jail (my county's bail schedule for wserious misdos was often $100,000 -- you got $10k to give to the bondsman?), lose your job, your house, your car, your wife?

nm fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 23, 2015

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Enourmo posted:

MAD MAX?

MAD MAX

MAD MAX

MAD MAX

Saw it again today with a couple buddies on an IMAX PREMIERE screen in 3D with recliners that vibrated with the low frequencies and an insane sound system. Holy god that was worth the $20. The engines sounded a billion times better and the 3D was super cool.

I also noticed Furiosas arm was powered by a tiny little engine with a mower pullstart? Yesssss....

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Quite A Tool posted:

I haven't seen it yet but man theaters are just way too loving loud. I already have hearing damage and I wear earplugs to every movie because goddamn.

This movie needs to hit 150db. Period.

Like, pre nanny state air show loud.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

This movie needs to hit 150db. Period.

Like, pre nanny state air show loud.

So the action movie equivalent of a Sunn O))) concert? Because i'd be okay with this.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

T1g4h posted:

So the action movie equivalent of a Sunn O))) concert? Because i'd be okay with this.

Exactly.

Except instead of robes and smoke, it'd be a jester suit and flames.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am informed that I am no longer a suspect because they actually read the witness statement which from my understanding had the word "black" on it in description of the actual suspect.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
My mom has been in Hawaii for the past few days on a ladies golfing holiday and my dad has been at home alone, so I invited him over tonight and cooked him a cajun BBQ chicken with roasted rosemary potatoes and a whole lot of beers.

We soon decided it was time to build a campfire in my backyard. It's been a good night. :)

[edit] Holy poo poo please get better STR. loving take care of yourself.

[edit2] one time a cop pulled me over and asked to search my car. I said "that depends, are you going to put everything back the way you found it?" he said yes, and I let him search. He found nothing and then helped me put everything back. I thanked him after for sticking to his word. He seemed really appreciative of that. It's true that not all cops are bad but you can generally tell when you're going to meet a prick cop within 5 seconds of meeting him. My general rule of thumb is "most cops are pricks until they prove otherwise because to them you are guilty until you prove otherwise."

[edit3] I've been think a lot about supermotos lately. I have an old dual sport, I think I might convert it.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 23, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just watched the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Such a good loving movie, and the perfect pre bedtime entertainment.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Welp just got back from my third viewing of Mad Max, and I'm still noticing things I didn't see on the other two visits, and things I never would have even registered had I not binge read the entire GBS and CD threads to prepare for number 3

Where are you seeing it? I was thinking of seeing it at the Pacific Science Center, but it's in their smaller theater. Still good I think.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

My experience is only several thousand criminal cases where in ONE case I thought "this guy should have talked to the cops" (seriously, and for most of the bar there are none) and in the 98% when they talked thought "Jesus gently caress, you screwed this case." Even when they are innocent.

The goal of the police officer is to close the case, find the suspect, arrest, and send the charge to the prosecutors office. In this case, Rhyno was really, really lucky the cop had a suspect (assuming he is tell the truth). That mixed story would certainly be enough to raise suspicions, and it just might be enough to charge. Maybe not enough to convict, but do you have enough for bail and will your job still be there?

Similarly, cops are trained in pretty powerful techniques that can get even innocent people to confess or at least say incriminating things. They often are not trained in the strength of the technique, just the tools. See the Reid technique.

9 times of of 10, you'll probably be fine, but that one time you'll meet someone like me in a jumpsuit and you'll either plea to get out (yay criminal record!) or stay in jail (my county's bail schedule for wserious misdos was often $100,000 -- you got $10k to give to the bondsman?), lose your job, your house, your car, your wife?

Listen to this guy, he's giving you free legal advice that would cost $300 an hour if you weren't too dumb to have a lawyer.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Guys, I wanna go home. Getting woken up every few hours to injections, vistals, etc, is sucking.

They did confirm some kind of cardio "event" happened, but called it minor - hopefully I'll get to go home once my blood pressure is stablized. Crossing my fingers that's going to be today.

If my typing looks a bit odd..

:nws::nms:

gettine onf ot hose stuck on every 8 hours.. ugh. Hate my veins.

iwentdoodie posted:

So my wife went vegetarian, and I'm decidedly not, as I barely eat vegetables.

Tonight I decided to try and make her dinner. I saw a recipe for "quinoa buffalo sliders" and figured why not.

Jesus gently caress balls that poo poo was actually god drat delicious. And now she's gonna go see mad max with me.

My mom ansolutely hates anything "vegetarian".

So I'll sneak in some massive stew or something, and sneak in enough fire that shesn't notice the lack of meat until she's almost done.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

General_Failure posted:

Stop killing yourself! Glad you at least went to the hospital.

So I got the ag pipe installed today. Had to open the trench out some more. Only had one leak in the pipe on the first attempt where it's attached on to an adaptor near the meter, but I expected that. More tape and cranking it down until the hex bit of the brass adaptor chewed into the poly adaptor did the job. It just couldn't go deep enough. Cut the section of old gal pipe that ran through the front yard and bent it in the middle so I could drag it out. Had to be mindful of the power feed for the house because it stuck up so far. It all went well except that I forgot to get something to anchor the new poly riser to the old galvanized riser with, so it's held there with zip ties for now.
The new ball valve tap is the poo poo. I think it might be stainless. Anyway gently caress I'm tired and sore. I filled in my emergency drain pits and the trench too. Still only the first part of many to come but the water doesn't act like it has prostate issues any more. And it's pretty clear too instead of hazy, dark brown or black. Looking forward to seeing it in action with the timed garden sprinklers. Also looking forward to trying it with the hose. Six goddamn years of using it with the head on "Jet" to get more than a metre of projection. Watering things or trying to wash a car sucked hairy balls.
Still have no idea whether ag pipe is remotely legal but gently caress it. I fail to see the difference between what I did and it's intended use.

Blue line poly is legal for potable water use- its what half the houses in my new estate are hooked up with!

I just discovered that the dumb fuckers who cast the slab for my house drove a foundation pin clean through one of my storm water pipes. And of course its the one I chose to use for my tank overflow isnt it... Waters pissing out of the ground RIGHT beside my slab now...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Enourmo posted:

MAD MAX?

MAD MAX

MAD MAX

MAD MAX

WITNESS ME

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Brain is finally starting to work again. Well, as well as ever.

Nurse said it's likely I'm going home tomorrow, and will be on bed rest a bit. Not a heart attack, but apparently I join every other :btroll: American in having coronary heart disease.

Makes me wonder if the 3 day long migraine before had anything to do with it. My bloodpressure was somewhere between the clouds and the moon when I got to the hospital, and remained there until yesterday. It's still borderline high,and I still have a headache, but it was 140/128 when they checked it in my sleep earlier.

Good as time as ever to give up drinking.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
will be checking in with my body shop tuesday since my wife didn't see the dumpster right loving behind her :suicide:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Soooo hung over...

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
the pick up truck itch is starting again. There is a guy with a 94 C1500 with a 6.5 NA diesel and a 5 speed for sale for 1400 bucks. But as much as I would love a diesel, I don't have the tools, or the knowledge of diesels to really make it a go. So I think its a brick nose Ford is what I will be searching for.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CharlesM posted:

Where are you seeing it? I was thinking of seeing it at the Pacific Science Center, but it's in their smaller theater. Still good I think.

I saw it at Pacific Science Center 3D, Cinebarre Mt Lake Terrace 3D, and Ballard Majestic Bay 2D. Of the 3, Cinebarre was the most expensive but the most visually and auditorily pleasing, with the middle sized screen. The Imax was larger, but while they had the sound volume, Cinebarre had a better balance. Also we showed up late to seating and got poo poo seats which makes a serious impact when dealing with 3D. Ballard was the cheapest, the smallest, the quietest, but my friends were blown away and it was nice to not have to gently caress with the glasses over my glasses.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

See the Reid technique.

Haha holy poo poo, this is pretty much exactly what happened to me, they got me to confess to poo poo I didn't do but luckily in court the jury didn't see it that way.

Funny how the technique is frowned upon for children, I was basically a kid an had no clue, completely trusted the cops and went along with anything they said. I look back on it a lot and think about how stupid I was for just letting them walk all over me when all I had to do was ask for a lawyer. Hindsight 20/20 I guess but i leaned a valuable lesson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah I got nothin against LE but I don't talk to them about anything if I even get a whiff that I'm under suspicion of anything. You can be friendly and cooperative all you want, but one day you are going to get burned and by the time you realize you should have shut up it's way too late.

What's terrifying is when you don't "cooperate" and they start getting belligerent, getting in your face and yelling at you (on a neighborhood street at 4:30 in the morning) about "What do you mean you're not answering that question ["Have you ever been arrested before?"], you got something to hide? You know I can find out if I want to!" but you just gotta say "Go ahead and find out then" and act calm while inside you are making GBS threads yourself silly because the partner hasn't moved their hand from their gun since they figured out you're not going to spill whatever.

• Locked thread