Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Valar Morghulis posted:

DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR CAT?
If your partner took it, they're evil.

YES! Honestly, I am loving astounded that I came out of it with the cat, but I did. She is passed out on my ankles as I type this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I was under the impression that 80 was on the small side?

You aren't going to make a meaningful contribution as a line member in a fleet of over 20. 80 man fleets have the added bonus of pubbies making GBS threads up coms constantly. Space violence and Topgoon both offer engaging, small scale fights and they are accessible. Holesquad and Blackops are cool too but those require more effort on your part. Join one or all and never look back.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Ciaphas posted:

As I think about it it feels more like I was amused in spite of Eve rather than because of it. Things like the PL Blood Sacrifice, and playing Cards Against Humanity during the structure shoot part of the op. :shrug:
Fleet ops are definitely only rewarding on a social level; they're mind-blowingly boring on a mechanical level. Solo can be very rewarding mechanically (if very frustrating), and small-gang is the best of both worlds-- when you can find decent people to play with. I don't know how healthy the Imperium's small gang SIGs are these days (other than Holesquad, who seem to be doing very well), but they're probably your best bet for finding actually-interesting things to do in Eve that don't involve shooting a structure or roaming 30 jumps with 100 people and seeing no action.

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, see, this just says that you've probably never experienced the 'good' parts of Eve (a Bad Game). 80 is a fleet op, plain and simple. You want to find a group of 5-10 dudes and roam or do homeland defense or whatever.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is ENL-I still in GSF? Iv been gone for like 2 semesters of college and I'm wondering If i'm going to log in to a lot of neutrals.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Is ENL-I still in GSF? Iv been gone for like 2 semesters of college and I'm wondering If i'm going to log in to a lot of neutrals.

They're still in GSF.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

darth cookie posted:

They're still in GSF.

Is anything interesting happening? I looked at the sov map and I see the eternal cockroaches of AAA are back and Red Alliance has risen from the dead.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Venom Snake posted:

Is anything interesting happening? I looked at the sov map and I see the eternal cockroaches of AAA are back and Red Alliance has risen from the dead.

There's a game of musical chairs going on as hopefuls and have-beens are trying to carve out a space of their own in anticipation of the upcoming sov changes. It's all localized and far removed from gsf though.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

AAPsel posted:

There's a game of musical chairs going on as hopefuls and have-beens are trying to carve out a space of their own in anticipation of the upcoming sov changes. It's all localized and far removed from gsf though.

What new changes are happening? I didn't think I would see a sov rework ever; poo poo must have really changed in the past year?

Jemere
Jul 21, 2014
After B-R5RB in jan last year, N3PL crushed all the map the CFC didn't want to own, and everyone spent nine months in a post-war titan-building frenzy - since titan Doomsdays are what determined a winner in the stupid 2000+ person supercapital slapfight. Given there were weeks with zero sov change, CCP finally cottoned on that sov needed a rework.

The announcement of a new system and a set of other changes - jump range nerfs, particularly - mean that everyone except the CFC nee Imperium has downsized to localised conflicts, and all the old guard are back in sov space. The Imperium is really the last megacoalition still standing.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
In my opinion the reason that the Imperium stands is that it's a nation that encompasses all aspects of Eve rather than a single goal of elite pvp.

Where for example N3 hid their PVE alts in the renter alliance to not burden their own killboard while the main Alliance was just a PVP entity that then needed precious gudfites to not disband.

Regardless of what a citizen of the Imperium might do for a "living" It's always nice to have a home where you can put your feet up or make some isk without having to worry about losing the station next week.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Jemere posted:

The announcement of a new system and a set of other changes - jump range nerfs, particularly - mean that everyone except the CFC nee Imperium has downsized to localised conflicts, and all the old guard are back in sov space. The Imperium is really the last megacoalition still standing.

Also the CFC shed a whole lot of systems, intentionally and with no pressing threat. This was done because the pending sov changes are all stick, no carrot. Specifically, CCP plans to make it much harder to defend sov, without adding a benefit to holding it (and right now, the biggest reason to hold sov appears to be AFK ratting which everyone knows is idiotic and will inevitably get nerfed at some point). CCP is still making adjustments, but it appears the new sov system will launch with a very troll friendly design, and there's a moderate risk there will be more people wanting to kick over space sand castles than actually wanting to hold space sand castles.

And now it is unclear what function supers will fill. Fleet boosts or something.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
CCP please remove jump drives completely and slow caps, supers and titans to 0.01 AU per second. That way we can be ~1338 h4rdc0re g4m3rs~ [420] [720 n0sc0pe] who turn the tide of battle by being the first shitlers to warp in a fleetboosting Aeon with frigate-killing fighters and a bunch of blap dreads.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

In my opinion the reason that the Imperium stands is that it's a nation that encompasses all aspects of Eve rather than a single goal of elite pvp.

Where for example N3 hid their PVE alts in the renter alliance to not burden their own killboard while the main Alliance was just a PVP entity that then needed precious gudfites to not disband.

Regardless of what a citizen of the Imperium might do for a "living" It's always nice to have a home where you can put your feet up or make some isk without having to worry about losing the station next week.

Please stick to praising Ayn Rand tia.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Viva Miriya posted:

Please stick to praising Ayn Rand tia.

Right through my heart Dozer.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Xolve posted:

lookit this nerd who's never multiboxed supers onto multiple hostile carriers and dreads.

ROFL.

How very ~Elite PvP~ of you.

:allears:

Sorry I couldn't manage to talk about multiboxing supers against all odds before being taunted about elite pvp. Tell me more.

Edit: it's occurred to me that this series of posts is because of your bad ideas about blops fits. That's okay, let's just ask ullerrm, he's better at this than either of us.

smertrioslol fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 23, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
all fights in EVE are ganks

if two players agree to a fight, one of them is wrong

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

all fights in EVE are ganks

if two players agree to a fight, one of them is wrong

:mad: what about all of those taranis you've flung into cruisers?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

smertrioslol posted:

:mad: what about all of those taranis you've flung into cruisers?

what about them?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what about them?

:eng99: Nevermind Tux

:smith:

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Ciaphas posted:

80 is small in the sense that it's not gonna make headlines on eve news websites, but it's still a lot of nerds. 5-20 people seems to be the sweet spot for max fun shenanigans. It's a small enough force that you can move quickly without some dumbass pubbie retard saying "wait guys i forgot cap boosters i need to go back" or "wait up i went afk and i'm 10 jumps behind" or something, but its also enough dudes that you can take a good amount of fights easily, especially if you have 2-3 logi with you. Preferably 3, since its a lot easier for 2 logi to keep the 3rd up when one of them inevitably gets primaried.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

grumplestiltzkin posted:

80 is small in the sense that it's not gonna make headlines on eve news websites, but it's still a lot of nerds. 5-20 people seems to be the sweet spot for max fun shenanigans. It's a small enough force that you can move quickly without some dumbass pubbie retard saying "wait guys i forgot cap boosters i need to go back" or "wait up i went afk and i'm 10 jumps behind" or something, but its also enough dudes that you can take a good amount of fights easily, especially if you have 2-3 logi with you. Preferably 3, since its a lot easier for 2 logi to keep the 3rd up when one of them inevitably gets primaried.

The big problem with the 80 man fleets is the half-hour form-up time that turns into an hour and a half because the FC is begging for logi and wing boosters and cajoling people to get out of ceptors because no we do not need 30 of them in a 75-man fleet.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
What I'm getting out of all this is blow poo poo up in SV or Holesquad or something, and train logi to be loved & useful on fleet ops.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xolve posted:

lookit this nerd who's never multiboxed supers onto multiple hostile carriers and dreads.

says who

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Kiryen posted:

The big problem with the 80 man fleets is the half-hour form-up time that turns into an hour and a half because the FC is begging for logi and wing boosters and cajoling people to get out of ceptors because no we do not need 30 of them in a 75-man fleet.

And half of those 'ceptor pilots are thinking, "Well if I have to log off 85 jumps away from the staging system, I'll be able to get back without too much trouble."

Does anyone have a good Stratios fit? For solo WH dicking around, maybe an opportunistic gank if one arises.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

smertrioslol posted:

Edit: it's occurred to me that this series of posts is because of your bad ideas about blops fits.

More like your bad ideas, but it's okay- we can agree to disagree.

I thought we were flinging pointless conjecture about our in-game activities at one another. :allears:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xolve posted:

I thought we were flinging pointless conjecture about our in-game activities at one another. :allears:

Eh I figured you hadn't done BRAWLER SIN MASTER RACE due to your blops opinions itt

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Glory of Arioch posted:

Eh I figured you hadn't done BRAWLER SIN MASTER RACE due to your blops opinions itt

I've flown all four of them depending on the needs of the fleet at the time, I actually preferred the Panther/Widow, but occasionally flew a Sin as well. I had a redeemer also, but it was more for the 'were jumping into someones staging system to kill 2 carriers' situations where a brawl was imminent (getting PL to not take these kind of brawls in SlowCats was pretty hard at the time).

The whole panther setup was just for in and out ganks, which is apparently beyond some people :iiam:.

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!

Ciaphas posted:

Had my first go in a fleet action tonight, 80 pilots or so and me in the amarr ewar frigate.

Not sure if I enjoyed it or not. We did get in a fight, stomped them pretty hard near as I can tell, but it didn't exactly feel like an engaging experience. Didn't feel like I had much real impact or influence. :shrug:

That wasn't a fight last night it was a turkeyshoot. Darkness got a dozen battleships trapped in a WH when the entrance closed behind them (to their credit they were trying to close it so at least they succeeded at that). They then realized that they now had even numbers to us and ran home. We caught about 15 of them with a bubble on their undock and murdered them.

The ship you were flying (the crucifier) basically makes 2 navy battleships totally worthless. So your 3m isk frig is shutting down a billion isk worth of ships. Unfortunately you don't get much visual feedback (really nothing at all) so a lot of people in these support roles don't realize how much they are helping. That's why lots of people only fly DPS, because at least they get to see damage numbers. This is a fault of :ccp: they really should have a graphic that shows how much range you are taking off the enemies guns or something similar. Some kind of visual reward. Right now as a player you just have to take the knowledge that you are making two enemy ships not able to hit our ships and internalize it.

So overall you didn't really get to experience a fleet fight. They have a lot more warping on grid, more positioning and are generally more interesting.

Enemu
May 31, 2014

Zephyrine posted:

~citizens of the imperium~

smertrioslol posted:

:eng99: Nevermind Tux

:smith:

He's graduated to Daredevils ok :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's not like i was engaging in arranged honor duels, i was picking engagements based on who i felt was likely to have no or weak anti-frigate capabilities. i was sometimes mistaken, and frequently killed by backup arriving, but that actually supports the point i just made, not the other way around.

i've only done an honest arranged duel once in my entire time playing, and it was to teach a newbie how to tackle using a live target. (also we won, killed a moa with zero tracking modules in a slasher and a taranis :laugh: )

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

blowfish posted:

CCP please remove jump drives completely and slow caps, supers and titans to 0.01 AU per second.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
I was browsing the EU4 steam workshop and...

Own up, which one of you nerds made this. :D

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
Yea, that is a fanfic mod right? With the silly language and stuff

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Venom Snake posted:

What new changes are happening? I didn't think I would see a sov rework ever; poo poo must have really changed in the past year?

Since none of the above answers really mentioned it:

They're doing a rework of pretty much all structure mechanics, commonly referred to as "Fozziesov." Ownership of stations, IHubs, and other structures are now independent from sovereignty.

There's a high-slot module in the game that basically acts as a sov laser, that triggers a sov conflict when used on a structure for a sustained period of time. (The amount of time needed to trigger it varies with the military/industrial indexes of the system, so actively used systems are much harder to take than backwater ratting corners. You can't receive remote reps, warp/jump, or cloak while the module's running.) The sov conflict itself happens after a set period of time, and involves tons of sites spawning all over the constellation, which you want to take with separate fleets... so it benefits organization more than size or player age or ownership of supers, meaning it's perfect for groups like CFC or Provibloc or the old HERO.

Structure shoots are going away. Lots of people are selling their supers because they basically have no use in the Fozziesov world.

Everything that's happened sov-wise in the last few months has basically been people prepping for their new role in this world:

* We've been selling off regions we don't think are defendable (Fountain, Cloud Ring, etc) and repositioning alliances in the North to maximize player density, so that every system has ridiculously high usage indexes.
* N3 has broken up entirely. A few member alliances have failcascaded, or are on the verge of it; NCDOT reset everyone and is putzing around in lowsec; Darkness is bunkering down in Querious. Nulli got wardecced by PL and are generally getting cornholed by them; rusrus is surging out of Stain in PL's wake to reclaim their traditional homes before winter sets in.
* What's left of HERO has surged into Fountain in our wake as we left it, setting up shop there. They're being contested there by Fountain Core and BL. If they can overcome their morale problems, they'll do well in Fozziesov; that's a big IF, though.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Welcome back Flanders.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

is it just supercarriers, or are titans going obsolete as well?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
BL moving staging system to 6VDT, test 2.0 3.0 finally achieved.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

is it just supercarriers, or are titans going obsolete as well?

Mostly supercarriers. Titans, at least, can still be used to bridge fleets around (and DD assholes who bring Phoenixes to the fleet).

Note that Fozzie has said they're thinking of new roles for supercarriers... but we know what that means. SoonTM

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Narciss posted:

I was browsing the EU4 steam workshop and...

Own up, which one of you nerds made this. :D

Sorry to disappoint you, but there are a lot of fans of the Roman Empire playing the EU-games. It's kind of a joke now, considering how many people made mods of countries being the new Rome. The Roman Empire itself has been recreated twice now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Won't this seemingly put a bit of a damper on roaming gangs if every null Alliance is encouraged to pack absolutely as many bodies into a system at once? And as one of the above mentioned it seems strange to rework the system to make it harder to hold while not offering much more encouragement for actually holding it. Player density is cool and good but it seems like hubris to assume people will want to live in nullsec just cause'

EDIT: Thanks for the explanation

Venom Snake fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 23, 2015

• Locked thread