Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mad Dragon posted:

Counter by learning how to play the bagpipe.

Or just make him play your skin flute

e: from the back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Can you legally throw a sailor off a ship if he was to bring such an device on board?

If no one saw you throw him, did you really throw him?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CMD598 posted:

If no one saw you throw him, did you really throw him?

Dude said he couldn't take it anymore and jumped.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Vriess posted:

Had a jumper every single deployment. So four times?

Wait, is this a thing? You guys have people jump off the carrier to kill themselves on a normal basis?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MancXVI posted:

My heart goes out to you in this trying time. You should go beatbox for him.

Did you ever sit on that deck at the bowling alley?

I was just at the deck for the first time in months yesterday and I recalled someone asked me to look around. So I did. It's still in excellent shape. You did good work. Too bad it wasnt on the chip(root) trail. Those loving roots put me on LLD for four months.

Two weeks and 2 days till I blow this popsicle stand and head 2000 miles to my next duty station the USS Couch.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

nwin posted:

Wait, is this a thing? You guys have people jump off the carrier to kill themselves on a normal basis?

"They're out of chocolate soft serve, I can't take it anymore!"

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

"They're out of chocolate soft serve, I can't take it anymore!"

Prolly just FSAs and Reactor.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Decided to finally watch Carrier and holy poo poo is the intro song bad.

"A world away from you, miles away from yooooooooooou"

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
ManMythLegend and other SWO wisdoms, just got my slate for 2nd tour. Due next week to detailer.

Any inputs on the following:

DDG PCU BATH-->SDGO STRIKE

Also two jobs MCM in Sasebo also on there 1LT and DCA. Dunno if those are my top choice but not ruling it out.

Anybody been stationed in Bath, ME?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Not sure what SDGO STRIKE is... and I've never been a PCU but I hear mixed things. Sasebo is pretty cool but I'm not sure I'd want to live there, especially to be on a MCM but if you think it's something you'd like then go for it!

Depending on what that SDGO STRIKE is, that'd be my number one choice (but then again I'm a TLAM Officer so....)

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Boon posted:

Not sure what SDGO STRIKE is... and I've never been a PCU but I hear mixed things. Sasebo is pretty cool but I'm not sure I'd want to live there, especially to be on a MCM but if you think it's something you'd like then go for it!

Depending on what that SDGO STRIKE is, that'd be my number one choice (but then again I'm a TLAM Officer so....)

The SDGO is San Diego. It's saying that precom will shift homeport from Bath Maine to San Diego at some point.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Howard Phillips posted:

The SDGO is San Diego. It's saying that precom will shift homeport from Bath Maine to San Diego at some point.

If the precom will be shifting to San Diego in the near future, I'd pick it. Spend a little time in Bath, take a shakedown cruise to San Diego, enjoy San Diego. If you spend nearly the entire time at Bath and then transfer right as you're about to have a nice time on a San Diego DDG, that would suck.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'd say stay away from the PCU because it's going to screw with your orders length depending on how much longer the ship has in bath and then you're going to spend the rest of your time there trying to chase down the people who built the ship for loving things up or upgrading things that should have been done pre-commissioning.

Sasebo, otoh, is pretty much guaranteed if you ask for it and there are GIPpers out there already.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Howard Phillips posted:

Sasebo MCM will get you ports in South Korea as well as different parts of Japan and even Australia and PI. MCMs don't have much higher endurance than a week or 2 so you literally are only at sea for a couple days between ports. Counterpoint: Sasebo, JP is subtropical practically, it is almost always warm to hot, and MCMs are full of weenie-touchers because no females on board. Take that as you will.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

orange juche posted:

Sasebo MCM will get you ports in South Korea as well as different parts of Japan and even Australia and PI. MCMs don't have much higher endurance than a week or 2 so you literally are only at sea for a couple days between ports. Counterpoint: Sasebo, JP is subtropical practically, it is almost always warm to hot, and MCMs are full of weenie-touchers because no females on board. Take that as you will.

Only concern for MCM is sea sickness. I can hang with the most but having been on a YP cruise off the atlantic coast as MIDN and experiencing some crazy sea sickness I don't know how bad it is on MCM.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Dramamine. Start taking it the day before underway and take the dosage each time you can for the first few days. You'll be fine.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dramamine. Start taking it the day before underway and take the dosage each time you can for the first few days. You'll be fine.

When poo poo gets really bad ain't no dramamine helping you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Howard Phillips posted:

When poo poo gets really bad ain't no dramamine helping you.

That's when you go get a phenergan shot in the rear end from doc and call it a day.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's when you go get a phenergan shot in the rear end from doc and call it a day.

Gay slang ITT

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

nwin posted:

Yeah, or they threaten they'll do something. Some are maladaptive to the military, others just joined because they thought the TA would get approved and they'd have a regular 9 to 5 like when they were out and now actually have to commit to their contract instead of just doing school. Each one requires medical to fill out DoD Suicide Event Reports detailing 160 things about the individual.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How do you die if you fall off a carrier? I'm not doubting you die, I just want to know how. Like is it high enough that the impact on the water kill you because that doesn't seem likely, or do you just get sucked under the ship and drown? I'm asking for a friend.

Or are people just retarded enough to think it'll kill them?

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 23, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Anita Dickinme posted:

How do you die if you fall off a carrier? I'm not doubting you die, I just want to know how. Like is it high enough that the impact on the water kill you because that doesn't seem likely, or do you just get sucked under the ship and drown? I'm asking for a friend.

You can knock yourself out or break a limb when you hit the water and sink. Or you do it at night and you'll drown before anyone finds you.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Anita Dickinme posted:

The flight deck is almost 90 feet above the water. Saltwater get's preeeeeetty hard at those heights.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Anita Dickinme posted:

Some people are dumb enough to think they'll be able to jump off and swim to shore.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

You can knock yourself out or break a limb when you hit the water and sink. Or you do it at night and you'll drown before anyone finds you.

Boon posted:

The flight deck is almost 90 feet above the water. Saltwater get's preeeeeetty hard at those heights.

That makes sense. When do we get guard rails? :v:

vulturesrow posted:

Some people are dumb enough to think they'll be able to jump off and swim to shore.

I believe dumb people should be purged, anyway. :colbert:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hope that disgruntled undesignated seaman on aft lookout trying to sleep sees your rear end hit the water in the middle of a moonless night over the Marianas Trench.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Boon posted:

60 feet. :spergin:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

So.... I got a question. If I got randomly flipped off by somebody on restricted and then immediately informed the petty officer in charge (mostly because I was confused because I didnt know the dude). Turns out he was talking to his buddy I'm having issues with outside the galley(I saw them talking). The petty officer tried to convince me to let him just handle it in house since "his life couldnt get anyworse"(bullshit).

Is this because the petty officer would also get in trouble for letting his restricted boys mingle with regular sailors or he just doesnt want to deal with paper work?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

So.... I got a question. If I got randomly flipped off by somebody on restricted and then immediately informed the petty officer in charge (mostly because I was confused because I didnt know the dude). Turns out he was talking to his buddy I'm having issues with outside the galley(I saw them talking). The petty officer tried to convince me to let him just handle it in house since "his life couldnt get anyworse"(bullshit).

Is this because the petty officer would also get in trouble for letting his restricted boys mingle with regular sailors or he just doesnt want to deal with paper work?

I love a-school drama. I don't know if schoolhouse mandates extra-dumb rules for restriction personnel, but hanging out with non restricted personnel is usually not verboten in the fleet. Generally going on restriction at the schoolhouse results in a loss of your school, and if you didn't have a rate already that means your rear end is going to be chipping paint instead of fixing computers or whatever cushy job that person signed up for.

The POIC likely doesn't give a gently caress, mostly because he didn't witness it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

I love a-school drama. I don't know if schoolhouse mandates extra-dumb rules for restriction personnel, but hanging out with non restricted personnel is usually not verboten in the fleet. Generally going on restriction at the schoolhouse results in a loss of your school, and if you didn't have a rate already that means your rear end is going to be chipping paint instead of fixing computers or whatever cushy job that person signed up for.

The POIC likely doesn't give a gently caress, mostly because he didn't witness it.

Yeah. Drama I guess. People getting upset over having to mop up their own spilt soda. Dont join the Navy at 37 and most certainty dont get roped into being the class leader or ma.
The punk admitted to it and why. He's not very smart. Honestly I'm not going to do poo poo if nothing more happens but I was curious.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Well at least you didn't join the Airforce. You'd probably be dead by now.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

Well at least you didn't join the Airforce. You'd probably be dead by now.

Apparently I was in too good of shape to join the AirForce. Just judging by what I see here in student status.

Arione
Aug 19, 2013

by Athanatos

ive jumped off higher cliffs in mexico / hawaii / florid, think the highest was around 80ft.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
All the lifeboats on a carrier are on the flightdeck catwalks...

And even if you have a float coat on you stand a pretty good chance of freezing to death before the helo gets airborne to find you. :v:

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Howard Phillips posted:

ManMythLegend and other SWO wisdoms, just got my slate for 2nd tour. Due next week to detailer.

Also two jobs MCM in Sasebo also on there 1LT and DCA. Dunno if those are my top choice but not ruling it out.

As others have said, PCUs (at least as of a few years ago) do some strange things with your orders timing--usually your actual count for on-station time doesn't start until the ship is commissioned. If you really want to go that way, make sure you talk to your detailer and understand what it means for long-term career timing, since you've got to hit DH school at the right time one way or another if you're staying in that long.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
The worst part of the gate visitor lane is being behind actual visitors

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Howard Phillips posted:

The real question is what are your mid-term career goals? Like, where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah. Drama I guess. People getting upset over having to mop up their own spilt soda. Dont join the Navy at 37 and most certainty dont get roped into being the class leader or ma.
The punk admitted to it and why. He's not very smart. Honestly I'm not going to do poo poo if nothing more happens but I was curious.

did you tattle because someone flipped you off

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

The real question is what are your mid-term career goals? Like, where do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

Drunk, somewhere in Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Is it okay to say I really don't know. At this point I'm kind of leaning towards getting out after sea tour.

• Locked thread