Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Madcosby posted:

When the bestiary tells me an enemy is weak against the aard (the stun) does that mean it knocks them out longer, or do I need to somehow counter with it to get a healthy amount of attacks in with it?

Also, same with the Yrden perimeter spell. If something is weak to that does that mean I want to trap them inside it, on the border, or that they just cant enter?

I guess the moral of my story is I'm confused about enemy weakness to signs unless its igni

I also had the problem with the noonwraith you fight at the beginning. When it didn't look it was getting slowed by Yrden I assumed poo poo was broke and stopped trying.

That fight takes a very long time when you're hitting for 17 damage a swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh (ending spoilers)Keira and Lambert, how sweet :allears:. The finale was a bit silly and Mass Effect-y, but I liked it. Gonna have to do another run to see if anything changes if you manage to get Letho and Dijkstra along as well.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Madcosby posted:

When the bestiary tells me an enemy is weak against the aard (the stun) does that mean it knocks them out longer, or do I need to somehow counter with it to get a healthy amount of attacks in with it?

Also, same with the Yrden perimeter spell. If something is weak to that does that mean I want to trap them inside it, on the border, or that they just cant enter?

I guess the moral of my story is I'm confused about enemy weakness to signs unless its igni

From what I've seen enemies weak to Aard will be knocked down or stunned temporarily when they get hit by it. Enemies weak to Yrden lose abilities when they enter the trap on top of the slow. Weakness to Quen just seems to mean it's a slow enemy with big attacks.

edit: Only Aard exception I've seen is Fire Elementals lose their fire pulse.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Killed the Wild Hunt guy in the cave by applying quen, sneaking near him, hitting once, rolling away, then waiting for quen to recharge. About half the time I'd still get hit while rolling away, but oh well. Quen remains overpowered.

Orv posted:

For bigger enemies, that is golems, Wild Hunt, elementals, fiends, etc, stand about two Geralts away, strong attack once, then roll not dodge diagonally past them to the opposite side. Think of it like the second half of a check mark, for how you want to roll away, if they are in the bottom of the V of the mark. It'll take time but you'll avoid most attacks, including their large AOEs because roll is a little longer than those enemies AOE attacks and you'll be using the whole roll at that angle.

Thanks, with this I killed a golem pretty easily. Didn't even realise you can roll that way haha.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Goddamnit Roach, stop horsing around :colbert:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Phoix posted:

From what I've seen enemies weak to Aard will be knocked down or stunned temporarily when they get hit by it. Enemies weak to Yrden lose abilities when they enter the trap on top of the slow. Weakness to Quen just seems to mean it's a slow enemy with big attacks.

Except Wraiths are "weak" to Quen and they're anything but slow :iiam:

Maybe they're more vulnerable to being staggered by the blowback.

Actually, speaking of blowback, I have the first level Quen ability maxed out. Was fighting some low-level bandits with it on, had a couple of them down to the last third of their health, one clipped me and both of them EXPLODED.

EDIT: Speaking of signs and vulnerabilities, Axii seems to do something to the defence of Rock Trolls (they're not stunned by it, but they take a lot more damage afterwards), but it's not listed on their sheet. :shrug:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

Haha that one is great.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

turtlecrunch posted:

It's nice to see someone else is getting stuck with Geralt always wearing Cosby sweaters

my newest shirt is blue and green vertical stripes

I feel every time you design a new armor the game should show the intro to the Cosby Show

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While the game runs well on my computer, for some reason the fps seems to peak at 40-45, no matter what I change the settings to. I can turn everything to as low as possible and be indoors and it will still peak at 40-45 (and likewise I seem to suffer little hit to my fps when I increase a bunch of the settings to max). I've searched around online but I can't seem to find anything that would explain this.

I have a GTX 770, an i5 3570k, and 16gb of ram so it seems like I should be able to get a higher framerate with *some* setting.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
You guys that are on Nvidia non 9** cards should have some performance improvements coming your way:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...537394/#4537394

posted:

We discovered a couple of issues in regards to Kepler GPUs and are working on driver updates.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
So can you be totally hosed if you level up a bit without buying potion recipes, cause I haven't found any new ones in a while, only upgrades to ones I don't have and stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011

jaete posted:

Thanks, with this I killed a golem pretty easily. Didn't even realise you can roll that way haha.

Orv and Sons, provider of terrible OPs and Witcher combat clinics since Tuesday. :v:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Spikeguy posted:

Installed 2 mods that worked like a charm if anyone is into that kind of thing. One gives merchants more money and makes them pay more for your stuff. The other lets you increase the amount of experience you get. No issues with them.

Also, can I just say that exasperated Geralt is my favorite Geralt. His reaction when this guy won't help him unless you find his pet goat is just so loving perfect.

And these mods are?

When can I start finding some decent armor? Most crafting recipies I find are garbage. I'm currently level six, so maybe that's why. Especially since the Cats School stuff is level 17 recommended.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 23, 2015

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

And these mods are?

When can I start finding some decent armor? Most crafting recipies I find are garbage. I'm currently level six, so maybe that's why. Especially since the Cats School stuff is level 17 recommended.

Cat stuff has an equip requirement of 14. The level 4 preorder armor sold by the White Orchard vendor is both cool and good, even if it's only level 4. The Griffon set should have a level requirement of 7, but I really didn't like the way it looked. ymmv.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I'm not a big fan of the new character skill slot system. There are only 12 slots available for over 60 skills. I would rather have balance be centered around skill point investment rather then entire swaths of skills being cut whole cloth.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

30 hours in, just finished the main quest line in south Velen, and most sidequests. Still a metric shitload of POI's on the map in the south though, so I'll take a look at all that stuff before I swing up into Novigrad.

This game is an achievement. It's finally unseated Baldur's Gate II for me as the reigning "best CRPG", and I wonder if anything - maybe MGSV, we'll see - will be able to top it for game of the year. It really reminds me of the first time I played BG and BG2 - it just has a tremendous sense of "place". It feels like a world you're exploring, and not just a game. On top of that, the narrative - both main and side-quest - has been extraordinary. There are some issues - the controls aren't the best, as people have pointed out, and they could have done a better job with a lot of the UI, but those things are just so inconsequential next to everything else.

I really hope the Bethesda team is looking at this thing. Fallout IV is probably whatever it's going to be at this point - and I hope it's amazing, too, because nothing excites me more than the idea of these guys and Bethesda getting into some kind of CRPG arms race. The next Elder Scrolls needs to learn some big lessons from what CD Projekt has done with this, though, if they want to keep the series relevant.

I also can't wait to see what they're cooking with Cyberpunk. poo poo, if it's just these mechanics with cyberpunk instead of fantasy, I'll be in for sure.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

theDOWmustflow posted:

I'm not a big fan of the new character skill slot system. There are only 12 slots available for over 60 skills. I would rather have balance be centered around skill point investment rather then entire swaths of skills being cut whole cloth.

Makes it harder to balance that way it'll end up like every open world game with a huge declining difficulty curve.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Oh god I got the worst ending possible, I thought I did good whyyyy :negative:

I wish there was NG+, spent so long working on armour weapons and skills but I must start over and make amends :gonk:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Creepy Goat posted:

I wish there was NG+, spent so long working on armour weapons and skills but I must start over and make amends :gonk:

Out of curiosity, about how many hours did it take you to beat the game? Did you skip many of the sidequests?

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
What is meant by "Number of Yrden Alternative Mode charges" in the Sustained Glyphs ability? Is that the number of times the Yrden alternative mode turret trap can fire? I tested the trap and it seems to be able to fire indefinitely for as long as the turret lasts (like over 10 shots to kill one guy).

Orv
May 4, 2011

Creepy Goat posted:

Look on the bright side; you can mainline the story with no side questing, be just powerful enough to complete the game, and it'll only take twenty hours. Oh you want the best ending? Sorry, forty hours.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
Didn't really expect to go do all of this poo poo for Kiera only to gently caress her brains out and then kill her 5 minutes later

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

g-c posted:

Didn't really expect to go do all of this poo poo for Kiera only to gently caress her brains out and then kill her 5 minutes later

I am surprised by how many people have taken that route. Due to the mutual rapport built up and uh, recent activities, I didn't even think that option could be in the realm of consideration. Also I'd forgotten how pyre-happy Radovin was and felt Geralt was overreacting by describing her original plan as suicide (despite me picking that dialogue option). e: Until I got to Novigrad :stonk: holy poo poo what was she thinking?

In the end I sent the witch packing to Kaer Mohodin.

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 23, 2015

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah I sent her to my Witcher base with Letho so hopefully I get to go back there at some point

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Seeing as how some of you have finished the game... is there much beyond checking the three regions? Just reunited with the ol' spoony bard and Skellige left, but those upgrade schematics are vile temptresses with their level requirements.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I loving love Gwent.
Nothing is quite as fun as free money.
And nothing can withstand my siege spam with doubled attack. :black101:
For fun I decided to see how powerful I could get after a quick round 1 win. I made it to 147 if I remember correctly. I got past 100 and the ai just passed even though it had 6 cards left.

Also, on silver sword chat. I've found 3 as random loot and 3 merchants in no man's land have stocked both recipes and swords. In a twist of fate, I've yet to find a sword better than an axe I looted off a bandit.

Also, any clues on a wolfsbane recipe? Fighting a werewolf is not only unfun, he gets a cutscene that regenerates him.
Edit: this is my first Witcher game. I'm loving that preparation makes fights a breeze, but if you're even 90% prepared you can get rocked. I meditated, then defeated that noon wraith so fast because of oil+yrden+midnight. But without wolfsbane, no matter the fire or silver bombs, he wrecks me.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 23, 2015

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Can you eventually win significant amounts of money playing Gwent? Right now I'm playing it more to collect cards than the measly 10 orens I get (still bumpin' around Velen).

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

lonter posted:

So can you be totally hosed if you level up a bit without buying potion recipes, cause I haven't found any new ones in a while, only upgrades to ones I don't have and stuff.

Go to the herbal hut North East of Oxenfurd. Apparently the guy sells a lot of basic potion and bomb recipes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K-0hsGCc2A

theDOWmustflow fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 23, 2015

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Poetic Justice posted:

Out of curiosity, about how many hours did it take you to beat the game? Did you skip many of the sidequests?

Playtime says 22 hours*, I very rarely died on 2nd hardest difficulty though since I got pretty good at the combat (Aard + fast attack dodge build). Probably steamrolled the story in all honesty, but I did main character side quests when they presented themselves, all the master Witcher gear treasure hunts, and as many big monster contracts as I could find. I focused on getting the Master Armorer and Master Swordsmith early so I could craft top-tier gear as soon as possible, probably helped.

Non-specific spoilers relating to how different endings come about :

There are only a handful of side-quests that I found that directly affect the ending, and they are quite obvious. The major effect on the ending seems to be how you (Geralt) treat Ciri throughout the game - as this appears to be the basis of how her character develops. In my game she got progressively more hot-headed and frustrated, whereas others have said she came into her own. There's a whole bunch of protective father figure vs wise mentor decisions that ultimately influence Ciri's character.

I wasn't trying to steamroll the story though, but the sense of urgency of chasing down Ciri with the Wild Hunt in pursuit kind of sub-consciously led me quest to quest and I kept telling myself 'okay after this bit I'll explore!' only to feel compelled to keep chasing. So I guess that's good writing, but made it harder to take the time out to investiage the world!

*which can't be right, so GoG must have buggered up somewhere. Played Wednesday, Thursday about 10+ hours, maybe 6-8 Friday and 6 today. So probably more around 35?

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 23, 2015

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FuriousGeorge posted:

Can you eventually win significant amounts of money playing Gwent? Right now I'm playing it more to collect cards than the measly 10 orens I get (still bumpin' around Velen).

As far as I know it's only 10 at a time. But if you're good it's a free 10 from almost every merchant plus the card you get from first win.
Horse racing and boxxing seem profitable but idk if they're infinite like cards.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

theDOWmustflow posted:

I am surprised by how many people have taken that route. Due to the mutual rapport built up and uh, recent activities, I didn't even think that option could be in the realm of consideration. Also I'd forgotten how pyre-happy Radovin was and felt Geralt was overreacting by describing her original plan as suicide (despite me picking that dialogue option). e: Until I got to Novigrad :stonk: holy poo poo what was she thinking?

In the end I sent the witch packing to Kaer Mohodin.

I don't even know how it got to that point, honestly. I was just doing the quest line and one thing led to another and that poo poo happened.

I can't tell if I'm moving too fast. I'm like 30 hours or so in and I've just reached level 10. I've only done the Baron and Keira stuff for the main storyline, and I've also been doing a bunch of side quests. Some of my main quests now are below my current level

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Nasgate posted:

I loving love Gwent.
Nothing is quite as fun as free money.
And nothing can withstand my siege spam with doubled attack. :black101:
For fun I decided to see how powerful I could get after a quick round 1 win. I made it to 147 if I remember correctly. I got past 100 and the ai just passed even though it had 6 cards left.

I'm kind of stuck with gwent. I can't find opponents at the right skill level. I got my first Hero cards but I haven't found basic cards of their factions to round out a deck so I'm stuck playing Northern Realms without any heroes. It don't even have enough cards for a good gimmick save for the melee spy-melee spy-freeze trick.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Killing jacked up Griffons messed up on fire, Royal Wyverns and their babies, going Blaviken on bandit base after bandit base? No problem! Gets killed constantly by Drowners.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

g-c posted:

I don't even know how it got to that point, honestly. I was just doing the quest line and one thing led to another and that poo poo happened.

I can't tell if I'm moving too fast. I'm like 30 hours or so in and I've just reached level 10. I've only done the Baron and Keira stuff for the main storyline, and I've also been doing a bunch of side quests. Some of my main quests now are below my current level

Even on the second highest difficulty, which cuts down on your xp gain, you'll outlevel stuff pretty quickly if you're doing a completionist run. I'm just now finishing the main quest in Velen at around 30 hours and I'm sitting at level 12, which is pretty high for South Velen. From what I gather, most of the mid-level stuff is in Novigrad/North Velen, and then higher level stuff over in Skellige.

And it's not just levels - once you get a bunch of places of power and find relic/witcher gear, your power level gets pretty high.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Sauer posted:

Killing jacked up Griffons messed up on fire, Royal Wyverns and their babies, going Blaviken on bandit base after bandit base? No problem! Gets killed constantly by Drowners.

I swear Drowners are like the first enemies you encounter in Dark Souls. They have this weird timing unlike any other enemy and it totally throws off your dodges and counter-attacks.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
One thing that this game surprised me is that when you meditate your potions are automatically replenished using just whatever alcohol you have on you. You don't need to gather herbs to make more unless you dropped your potions. It doesn't really make sense and it's not how the previous games worked.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Antti posted:

I'm kind of stuck with gwent. I can't find opponents at the right skill level. I got my first Hero cards but I haven't found basic cards of their factions to round out a deck so I'm stuck playing Northern Realms without any heroes. It don't even have enough cards for a good gimmick save for the melee spy-melee spy-freeze trick.

Check every basic merchant, battle everyone. I got my gimmick that let me beat Baron while still in the starter area. There's also a noble in the castle you go to before no man's land in the garden who gives you another leader card. Don't forget that a leader drastically changes what you can do.

Spies are also high risk high reward, so go easy on them until you can get a bigger deck. I've found focusing on weather and unit bonuses is an easy way to win. And you get all that in the starter deck.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008

FuriousGeorge posted:

You can eventually win a Gwent tournament in Novigrad that has an entry cost of 1k and rewards you pretty heavily for winning.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Creepy Goat posted:

I swear Drowners are like the first enemies you encounter in Dark Souls. They have this weird timing unlike any other enemy and it totally throws off your dodges and counter-attacks.

Downers threw me for a loop just because they're weak to igni. Also screw fighting them in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Anyone know what drops, or who sells Monster Feathers? I need 5 of them for the enhanced griffin set but they're impossible to find.