Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I really wish the attack strings were more consistent, instead of having Geralt randomly piroutette. At least on Witcher 1 you had stances

Anyone know where the DLC pack will take place on the story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

VanillaGorilla posted:

Even on the second highest difficulty, which cuts down on your xp gain, you'll outlevel stuff pretty quickly if you're doing a completionist run. I'm just now finishing the main quest in Velen at around 30 hours and I'm sitting at level 12, which is pretty high for South Velen. From what I gather, most of the mid-level stuff is in Novigrad/North Velen, and then higher level stuff over in Skellige.

And it's not just levels - once you get a bunch of places of power and find relic/witcher gear, your power level gets pretty high.

I guess that's fine with me. I'm playing on Blood and broken bones, and I really have been tired of getting destroyed. I'll take a higher level of power

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

One thing that this game surprised me is that when you meditate your potions are automatically replenished using just whatever alcohol you have on you. You don't need to gather herbs to make more unless you dropped your potions. It doesn't really make sense and it's not how the previous games worked.

Potions are much shorter duration though, and you use them a lot faster. I can easily go through 4-6 potions in one mission which would be a nightmare to replen with all the herbs and monster bits. Just think of it like a 'concentrated' batch that you only add a few drops of to the alcohol to make each flask. I like the mechanic though, there's enough recipes to still have to go out in search of ingredients but it saves it being a repetitive chore considering how quickly you chug flasks.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

TheTrend posted:

Anyone know what drops, or who sells Monster Feathers? I need 5 of them for the enhanced griffin set but they're impossible to find.

Had the same problem, turns out Harpies actually do drop a monster part that has to be disassembled into Monster Feathers. I was killing them for ages thinking it was a rare drop.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Creepy Goat posted:

Had the same problem, turns out Harpies actually do drop a monster part that has to be disassembled into Monster Feathers. I was killing them for ages thinking it was a rare drop.

I was wondering if i could use the Harpy feeding ground. Thanks a lot.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheTrend posted:

Anyone know what drops, or who sells Monster Feathers? I need 5 of them for the enhanced griffin set but they're impossible to find.

As with most things you can break things apart and into other things with dismantling. Specifically here harpy feathers break down into monster feathers and harpy farming is fairly reliable near Lornruk.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Creepy Goat posted:

Potions are much shorter duration though, and you use them a lot faster. I can easily go through 4-6 potions in one mission which would be a nightmare to replen with all the herbs and monster bits. Just think of it like a 'concentrated' batch that you only add a few drops of to the alcohol to make each flask. I like the mechanic though, there's enough recipes to still have to go out in search of ingredients but it saves it being a repetitive chore considering how quickly you chug flasks.

Potions and oils are mostly of limited use until you get the enhanced versions I've found. Something like swallow is always good, but something like basic thunderbolt is like 20s duration at most. Basic oils are barely worth the effort at 10% damage and 20 hits.

Thankfully the superior versions of stuff make pretty much everything worthwhile. I pretty much permanently keep superior hangman's venom on my normal sword at all times, and since they're probably the most common enemy type - Nechrophrage oil is almost always on my silver sword. I've been having a ton of fun with the enhanced devil's puffball too. I'll throw that at a group of bandits and I'll have a nice little pile of loot all in one place to collect later.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking about monster ingredients, where does Powdered Monster Tissue come from? Common sense would suggest that you could disassemble it from some basic monster part, but I haven't found one that works for it yet.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Pam pa rammm. Pam pam pa raaammmm.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Speaking about monster ingredients, where does Powdered Monster Tissue come from? Common sense would suggest that you could disassemble it from some basic monster part, but I haven't found one that works for it yet.

Spectre Dust.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Just finished the Crooksbanks Bog quest chain.

Holy poo poo that was harrowing. I kept flip flopping over whether I'd made the right decision and reloading saves during the Whispering Hill. And after Return to Crooksbanks Bog I want to go back and change my answer. Again.

What happens if you kill the maybe-evil-tree? I'm assuming the children get eaten and Anna survives somehow. Do you actually find out what the Crones were doing with the kids?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

28 hours played and I'm just entering Novigrad for the first time. Holy hell does this game have a lot of content.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.

Perestroika posted:

Disassemble it from Spectral dust if I remember correctly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Holy poo poo that was harrowing. I kept flip flopping over whether I'd made the right decision and reloading saves during the Whispering Hill. And after Return to Crooksbanks Bog I want to go back and change my answer. Again.

What happens if you kill the maybe-evil-tree? I'm assuming the children get eaten and Anna survives somehow. Do you actually find out what the Crones were doing with the kids?

Yeah the kids are eaten. The Crones eat them. Anna survived for me, I went back with the Baron and we met up with his daughter and the mage hunters (you probably have to talk to her and tell her about her mother for that to happen but iuno). You kill some drowners and water hags, then the Crones send a fiend after you. After that the Baron takes Anna to a healer and he seems to reach some resolution with Tamara, but he also gives control of Velen over to his second in command and that guy sends the Baron's men out to rape and pillage the area.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I found a sizable amount of gold ruby rings. Does anyone know a merchant who will pay top dollar for jewelry?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Crones stay in power, and keep getting their tribute and ruling over the forest with impunity. Anna survives but loses her mind, and the Baron takes her off to try to help her recover. It's pretty typical Witcher in that there isn't really a "happy" ending. If you kill the spirit you let the "greater" evil continue while getting a marginally lesser evil for the people you know more about. If you let it go, you help put an end to the Crones' terrible rule, but the Baron's family gets pretty poo poo on. .

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Children get eaten (and Crone worshipping folk are guaranteed a fat pot of ambiguous boiled meat) and Downswind (or whatever the name is for the village that is the primary source for children to be sacrificed) is not razed. Anna lives but is permanently driven mad. The baron does not hang himself and leaves with Anna to seek out any healer that can help her. The baron and his daughter are slightly reconciled. The steward left to rule in the baron's place insinuates a harder, harsher rule but it seems less ominous than the alternative when the baron hangs himself.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Orv posted:

Spectre Dust.

Well that sure is a bit unintuitive, you wouldn't expect spectres to have much in the way of tissue. Thanks!

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
I love Aard. I was doing The Merry Widow contract, knocked it down, and was able to insta kill her.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo wow, just found maybe an exploit.

I can equip Geralt with an extra piece of armor, kind of like a helmet slot

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

theDOWmustflow posted:

Children get eaten (and Crone worshipping folk are guaranteed a fat pot of ambiguous boiled meat) and Downswind (or whatever the name is for the village that is the primary source for children to be sacrificed) is not razed. Anna lives but is permanently driven mad. The baron does not hang himself and leaves with Anna to seek out any healer that can help her. The baron and his daughter are slightly reconciled. The steward left to rule in the baron's place insinuates a harder, harsher rule but it seems less ominous than the alternative when the baron hangs himself.

Hah - I totally thought that the resolution where the baron hangs himself was the "good" ending to that one. He dies, but his wife got to die lucid, and say goodbye to Tamara. It also seemed like Tamara was in a better place, having gotten closure with her mother and her father, and moving on with the Eternal Flame .

One of the big surprises with that quest line for me was how the Witch Hunter dudes that Tamara joins up with don't end up being mustache-twirling evil dudes. I totally thought it was going to go that way, but then her new boss turns out to be a real bro when we threw down with the Crones, and actually treats Geralt with respect at the end. To me, that's another testament to CPR's writers.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Hm late game Crones question - when you go to Bald Mountain with Ciri, what is the confrontation (if there is one) with the Crones like if you freed the tree spirit?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 377 days!
where the hell can I find some dark iron ore

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
This is the game that never ends.

Creepy Goat posted:

Hm late game Crones question - when you go to Bald Mountain with Ciri, what is the confrontation (if there is one) with the Crones like if you freed the tree spirit?
Didn't see anything to him, sadly. One of them got away, but I assume that's the same for both paths.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

theDOWmustflow posted:

Is the Steward the Sargeant that's hanging around a bit before? Because He admits that the Baron was a right bastard, which gives me some hope.

The whole quest chain is so emotionally confusing. I help a wife-beater make peace with the spirit of a mystical abortion, I unleash a hellish revenge-beast to save all the orphans, and then when it's all settled, I'm strolling through the town during a beautiful golden sunset, watching everybody rebuilding and coming together after all the horror they've endured and BAM the irredeemable monster of a baron has hung himself

I think this is the quest line CDProjekt have been trying to write since the first game. It's not just about choosing the greater or lesser or evil, it's about living with the consequences and the constant gnawing uncertainty of what was it all for?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Willfrey posted:

Oh poo poo wow, just found maybe an exploit.

I can equip Geralt with an extra piece of armor, kind of like a helmet slot

Its kind of glitchy, note the hair clipping through, but the wood helmet is proper witcher gear

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

This is the game that never ends.

Didn't see anything to him, sadly. One of them got away, but I assume that's the same for both paths.

Yep same as the 'killed it' path, that is a shame.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Willfrey posted:

Its kind of glitchy, note the hair clipping through, but the wood helmet is proper witcher gear

:allears:
What else can you equip?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think this is the quest line CDProjekt have been trying to write since the first game. It's not just about choosing the greater or lesser or evil, it's about living with the consequences and the constant gnawing uncertainty of what was it all for?

Yes, and this is why I do not recommend trying to save scum decisions on main quests. Just do what you will for the main quest. Deal with the consequences. Replay focusing mostly on the main quests, and do something different.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

g-c posted:

Didn't really expect to go do all of this poo poo for Kiera only to gently caress her brains out and then kill her 5 minutes later

I sent her to my harem palace. You hosed up buddy.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Aye, you could do with her help later on, and so could one of your buddies. You done goofed.

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

turtlecrunch posted:

I sent her to my harem palace. You hosed up buddy.

Oh god, why??

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So I just got to the first area after White Orchard, is the area I see when I hit M just No Mans Land or is it showing me the submaps for everything. As in, is the big city area to the north Novgorod or is that a DIFFERENT section I haven't even seen yet?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Elendil004 posted:

So I just got to the first area after White Orchard, is the area I see when I hit M just No Mans Land or is it showing me the submaps for everything. As in, is the big city area to the north Novgorod or is that a DIFFERENT section I haven't even seen yet?

Those two areas on the map are just the areas north and south of the river. No zone travel between them.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

g-c posted:

Oh god, why??

You're trying to save Ciri from unstoppable space elf killing machines, you need every ally you can find. Also Kiera's story might be the only 'and they lived happily ever after' in the Witcher universe.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Antti posted:

Merchants, especially Armorers, have letters that give you treasure hunts. I kept buying those on sight and inevitably got the Griffin hunt. I'm level 11 and the Griffin set is level 8 but it was still an upgrade for me, I use Signs a lot (Medium armor bonus talent is for Signs) and you'll be able to upgrade it later on.

Okay, in case it wasn't clear to someone else besides me - apparently you can just stumble upon the right place and start the quest that way. I went to Hindhold, found the diagram for the Griffon steel sword and started the quest. Now I got the silver sword too, I fought the wyvern at the lighthouse and that was awesome, kept using Igni on it and then it fell on the tower and I just went to town on its rear end.. Currently on the quest to get the armor set too.

The velen main quest with the Baron and all is SUPER long, though. I'm nearing level 10 already! Although I do check out the sidequests when I can.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Threw a frost grenade at a band and hit him with my sword. He just exploded :getin:

GOTY

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The viper steel sword has a cat school insignia on its pommel :downs:

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

Creepy Goat posted:

You're trying to save Ciri from unstoppable space elf killing machines, you need every ally you can find. Also Kiera's story might be the only 'and they lived happily ever after' in the Witcher universe.

Oh well. Something to consider when I play on Death March. I'd go back, but the last save I have would put me back something like 8 hours, and no thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Willfrey posted:

Come to think of it, for all that witchers are supposed to be pragmatic fighters that do their utmost to prepare themselves for facing monsters and speak disparagingly of amateurs rushing in to get themselves killed, it is remarkable that none of them ever wear helmets.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 23, 2015