Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Tubgoat posted:

I did it, guys. I won the lottery. Pack 3, Karn Lib, foil 'Goyf. "Judge! I need a new pack, this one's broken." Mead Hall allowed me to buy a new one so I didn't have to drop.

I don't understand, they let you buy a new pack to replace the one you opened? Wouldn't that be abusable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

vOv posted:

I don't understand, they let you buy a new pack to replace the one you opened? Wouldn't that be abusable?

Otherwise you're just going to drop rather than pass that much money, so they either replace the pack or it's a 7 man draft pod

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Bonus posted:

They're susceptible to different kinds of hate though. If you try to put twin on your exarch and someone has dismember and open mana, it's not going to go well for you. But if you tooth and nail into an emrakul and xenagos, their dismember doesn't do much.

Dismember actually buys them a whole turn if you have five other green pips on the board!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

http://deckbox.org/sets/580380

That's my old list that I haven't touched in over 2 years. The Beast Withins were because I was tired of losing to turn 4 Twin and Tron's good draws. Don't play them. Play Fertile Ground #4 and some other stuff.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Bonus posted:

They're susceptible to different kinds of hate though. If you try to put twin on your exarch and someone has dismember and open mana, it's not going to go well for you. But if you tooth and nail into an emrakul and xenagos, their dismember doesn't do much.

I know the point that you're making, but since I cannot resist :spergin:, I expect Xenagod will probably be "turned on" in a situation where you're tooth and nailing for 9, so Dismember can take him out before the combat step. OTOH, you now have an emrakul in play

e;fb

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Saw nothing more valuable than a dismember in my draft packs, put together a decent WB spirits deck, went 2-1 and pulled a Splinter Twin in my prizes

This set would be really fun if it wasn't $50 to draft. :geno:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Guys i won Flip and Rip.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

This set would be really fun if it wasn't $50 to draft. :geno:

B-But the value!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My LGS fired 23 MM15 drafts across approximately 13 hours yesterday, at $30/pop. A foil Goyf was pulled at some point. Played in the last draft, p1p1 bob, drafted a respectable UW Metalcraft deck, exploded round 2 when I drew nothing but land and my affinity 7-8drops g2 after a close g1.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A friend's Modern Masters 2 box. So much value! The good thing is she works at a comic shop, so probably didn't pay full retail.

(First time posting an image from my phone, hope the image size came out okay.)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BJPaskoff posted:

A friend's Modern Masters 2 box. So much value! The good thing is she works at a comic shop, so probably didn't pay full retail.

(First time posting an image from my phone, hope the image size came out okay.)

That's the most unfortunate box I've ever seen.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Snacksmaniac posted:

Guys i won Flip and Rip.

Did you not play and open that in draft picks

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Good to see scumbag Fabiano probably get knocked out of day two by the noble Goblin race

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
MM15 trip report - drafted and despite my table opening about $400 my only money rare was comet storm. Scrubbed, cracked two boxes and cleared $240 in tcg mid pricing between them.

gently caress this game.

The packs were cracked because they will be used for sealed practice they're still together don't worry.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

MM15 trip report - drafted and despite my table opening about $400 my only money rare was comet storm. Scrubbed, cracked two boxes and cleared $240 in tcg mid pricing between them.

gently caress this game.

The packs were cracked because they will be used for sealed practice they're still together don't worry.

Question: Why the hell does anyone think opening Modern Masters 2015 is a good idea again?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Did you not play and open that in draft picks

Shhh!!!

Ended up drafing a domain deck, going 2-1.
I also learned you can pump that dragon knight guy twice in the same turn.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ramos posted:

Question: Why the hell does anyone think opening Modern Masters 2015 is a good idea again?

In my case it was "do sealed practice pools with a friend who is going to vegas" which requires actually having the cards instead of pretending that an online randomization that keeps feeding me duplicate rares is accurate.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sigma-X posted:

In my case it was "do sealed practice pools with a friend who is going to vegas" which requires actually having the cards instead of pretending that an online randomization that keeps feeding me duplicate rares is accurate.

Whatever you have to tell yourself to justify the addiction

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Foil Goyfs everywhere. A 9-year-old kid opened one first pack at my LGS. It was kinda like that moment when Charlie finds the Golden Ticket. Everyone cheered and a few swooped in asking him to touch their packs for good luck :shobon:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Devor posted:

Whatever you have to tell yourself to justify the addiction

Look man I can quit at any time but also I will suck your dick for two packs of modern masters.

One pack.

Just the tip card.

C'mon man im hurting here!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I just watched a man cast, attack with, and eventually force his opponent to bolt a Simian Spirit Guide.

We Legacy now.

Niton fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 24, 2015

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

A real shame that he didn't draw a Firebolt to Firebolt, flashback Firebolt for the win.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Niton posted:

I just watched a man cast, attack with, and eventually force his opponent to bolt a Simian Spirit Guide.

We Legacy now.

You haven't lived until you've won a game with a Stoneforge Mystic whose ETB got Stifled.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Legacy cripple fights where both deccks' plan has failed are like the best part of Magic.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Legacy cripple fights where both deccks' plan has failed are like the best part of Magic.

I wouldn't call a bloodmoon lockout a "failed plan".

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

qbert posted:

You haven't lived until you've won a game with a Stoneforge Mystic whose ETB got Stifled.

Nothing like good clean Squire beats.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

MM15 sealed report: I got passed a foil Bitterblossom. Also I played some games I guess.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I opened one pack and it was such garbage I immediately got online and bought a playset of spellskites, primetime, aids and etched champions.

I feel better now.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

My draft story is that I live in a small town and the only draft that happened was at two when normal people are at work.

Maybe I'll get a chance to draft when I visit Seattle for the summer.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My draft story is that I checked out the card store in my new neighborhood and they were selling boosters at $10 a pop, and I told the guy "I'm unemployed, too rich for my blood" and he was like "Yeah" :( He said they're doing MM15 drafts all through June, with any luck I'll have a job by then.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Anyone see packs with 2x Smash to Smithereens in them? I saw two packs of them today during drafts, just 2 Smashs hanging out with the rest of the commons.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
My MM2015 draft story: Pack 1 was unexciting moneywise but great in terms of card quality, with a firstpick Battlegrace Angel and eventually moving into GW for a Heir of the Wilds and three Scatter the Seeds. Second pack I'm excited to see a Selesnya Guildmage, but then I get to the rare and it's a Fulminator. So I take it happily, pass the Selesnya Guildmage, and unwittingly tank my draft. The rest of pack 2 is pretty good, getting passed an Indomitable Archangel, some Eldrazi Spawn dudes, and some other decent stuff. As for Pack 3, if I didn't start off with a Dark Confidant, I would be furious. I got passed almost no green or white cards of any reasonable quality. What looked like a great tokens deck turned into a fairly bad one; I had a hard time leveraging all my Saprolings and Eldrazi Spawn into an actual win. Afterward I realized that the person I passed the Guildmage to was playing a kind of shaky-looking green deck with the Guildmage, and realized that I had probably pushed them into green and got cut hard in pack 3.

I got crushed round 1 by a good affinity deck with Etched Champion and a bunch of Darksteel Axes that I had a hard time doing anything about, and then had some relatively close games against a UB control deck before eventually losing to an untouched Dimir Guildmage. I conceded round 3 since the prize structure was 5-3-2-2-1-1-1-1, thus going 0-3, but am reasonably pleased about the actual environment and of course having gotten some value out of it, so I plan to give it another go later in the weekend.

Sidenote: The foils look pretty terrible, though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sigma-X posted:

MTGO is launching MM2015 a day early so people can "practice" (WOTC wants that money) for GP Vegas.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Are people finally realizing that modern masters 2015 is just a huge money grab?

This game is becoming stupidly expensive. Think I am just going to stick to my cube and drafting/pre-releases.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xeom posted:

Are people finally realizing that modern masters 2015 is just a huge money grab?

This game is becoming stupidly expensive. Think I am just going to stick to my cube and drafting/pre-releases.

A friend of mine decided they'd build Grixis Delver in Modern since they had Snapcasters and pretty much everything else in the deck but Blood Moons, Scalding Tarns, and Sowers of Temptation.

They decided those are too expensive and that they're quitting Magic because it's too expensive to keep up with.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm just waiting a week or two so I can trade for sweet foils and new cliques.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm just waiting a week or two so I can trade for sweet foils and new cliques.

Original MM prices bottomed out before the GP. Now is the time to buy/trade. I'm already halfway through my list.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
It's probably near 100% that Linvala will be in FTV Angels right? I don't know if I can wait 3 months before getting one for the Modern Elves sideboard, though. Hmm. I guess the original printing can't go down too far anyway, and I'm only getting a singleton.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Boco_T posted:

It's probably near 100% that Linvala will be in FTV Angels right?
Was there art that looked like her previewed somewhere I missed? FTV box sets are generated by pulling names out of a hat, and there's a lot of angels to pick from.

Can't wait for sick nasty reprints of Serra Angel, Seraph and Melesse Spirit that we've all been clamouring for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think this has been said before but I really want to say it again: gently caress the last banlist in Modern

• Locked thread