Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Aiden's official vigilante name is "The Fox". I'm not sure if anyone except him ever actually uses it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
The Chaperone rides the bus back to school, where the mean old principal and his vice principal berate a student for ruining a museum exhibit.

SaltyMoose
Jan 4, 2013

no seriously stop

Kloro posted:

Aiden's official vigilante name is "The Fox". I'm not sure if anyone except him ever actually uses it though.

No one does. He justs really wants to be Batman.

On that note, the whole "nickname" thing is dumb as they all know his real name anyway.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kloro posted:

IIRC, the game mentions it only once or twice, possibly only in audiologs.

His symbol makes more sense if you know that though (it's a very stylized fox head.)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I believe they actually say "La Volpe" which means Fox, which i only know because of the character of the same name in Assassin's Creed 2.

Confirmed Aiden Pearce to be a descendant of an Assassin. Watch_Dogs is now part of the AC series.

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
I wonder if Aiden live tweets his vigilantism. He seems like someone who would.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm struggling to understand Aiden's story here. He's a random goon vigilante because uh, hacking is fun???, he accidentally involved himself in a mafia turf war, got his daughterniece killed because of it, and to get revenge, he's, uh, going back to doing exactly that and roping his sister into it now too?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Chaperone as a codename makes me think of Transporter the game. Only he's old and retired.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Confirmed Aiden Pearce to be a descendant of an Assassin. Watch_Dogs is now part of the AC series.
Funfact, there's some "hilarious" throw-away dialogue that really does imply this takes place in the AC universe. :v:

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I believe they actually say "La Volpe" which means Fox, which i only know because of the character of the same name in Assassin's Creed 2.

Brovstin posted:

Funfact, there's some "hilarious" throw-away dialogue that really does imply this takes place in the AC universe. :v:

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/CtOS:ssh:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Roaper posted:

The reputation system requires some way of getting the information out to make sense, and he clearly doesn't have a brand manager to do it for him.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Roaper posted:

Thats probably how the rep thing works. You can knock out a man in the middle of nowhere but get + rep. So Aiden tweets it, thats also why there is the "Justified force" qualifier, the public doesn't actually realize how painful it is to get cracked across the face with a leaded stick.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Leal posted:

Thats probably how the rep thing works. You can knock out a man in the middle of nowhere but get + rep. So Aiden tweets it, thats also why there is the "Justified force" qualifier, the public doesn't actually realize how painful it is to get cracked across the face with a leaded stick.

I've taken a bowling ball pendulum to the face before. Does that count?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'm struggling to understand Aiden's story here. He's a random goon vigilante because uh, hacking is fun???, he accidentally involved himself in a mafia turf war, got his daughterniece killed because of it, and to get revenge, he's, uh, going back to doing exactly that and roping his sister into it now too?

That's pretty much it, yeah. And if the game had even a modicum of self awareness about the whole thing, it could be played for drama; Aiden could actually make a great Byronic hero.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

bman in 2288 posted:

I've taken a bowling ball pendulum to the face before. Does that count?

Only if you were robbing Macaulay Culkin's house at the time.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

That's pretty much it, yeah. And if the game had even a modicum of self awareness about the whole thing, it could be played for drama; Aiden could actually make a great Byronic hero.

didn't it, though? didn't the sister say "oh jeez aiden, not this again, you haven't changed one bit"?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Suspicious Dish posted:

didn't it, though? didn't the sister say "oh jeez aiden, not this again, you haven't changed one bit"?

In the "overly protective big brother" sense. Not the "criminal with delusions of heroism" sense. This is a game where a guy who seems to think of himself as a protector has no problems robbing random people, blowing up power junctions on the street, murdering entire buildings full of security guards to gain the power to spy on people, working for criminal enterprises, and generally causing massive collateral damage at whim.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

General Ironicus posted:

The reputation system requires some way of getting the information out to make sense, and he clearly doesn't have a brand manager to do it for him.
Kind of surprised that Jordi doesn't do that for Aiden, since it sounds like something he'd do.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

General Ironicus posted:

He probably tried to hire several but they took one look at his fashion sense and left.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I snuck a peek of "Bad Blood" on someone else's youtube and the other character you play as (yet to be revealed in this LP, do we give a drat about spoilers?) was immediately more charismatic.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think it's less getting involved in a turf war, and more that when he was stealing credit card info someone else in the building was stealing incriminating video of unknown nature. Then either that guy or the owner of the video went after us to make sure we wouldn't do anything with it (not that we had it since Aiden pulled the plug).

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

GeneX posted:

I would absolutely play an open world game featuring a dog vigilante.

Tokyo Jungle is sort of that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

I think it's less getting involved in a turf war, and more that when he was stealing credit card info someone else in the building was stealing incriminating video of unknown nature. Then either that guy or the owner of the video went after us to make sure we wouldn't do anything with it (not that we had it since Aiden pulled the plug).

so of course we continue to do exactly loving that, jesus

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Speedball posted:

I snuck a peek of "Bad Blood" on someone else's youtube and the other character you play as (yet to be revealed in this LP, do we give a drat about spoilers?) was immediately more charismatic.

That is the faintest praise imaginable.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Suspicious Dish posted:

so of course we continue to do exactly loving that, jesus

"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so fools repeat their folly."

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

All this talk of Chaperones and no mention of Triple H?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so fools repeat their folly."

i'm not supposed to be sympathetic of a dumb idiot dog eating its own vomit

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I hear the Chaperone and I think of like a bodyguard turned vigilinate because Mr. and Mrs Silver Spoon of Chicago have a son who is aping batman, but is completely incompetent. The Chaperones job is to thwart crime and make sure he eats healthy and gets in at a reasonable hour.

And that the wanna be vigilante he takes care of is a huge nerd and also Aiden.

Also I'd play a dog watching game or a game where the protagonist a dog who learned how to use a smartphone.

It kinda reminds me of when i first heard of the game, when someone brought it up the Person of Interest thread years ago before we knew the game was terrible, because the profiler resembled the Machine and because you could nonlethally deal with dudes by kneecaps. Of course the game makes no real distinction between fatally shooting a person and merely potentially crippling them for life, and the story is godawful and the profiler a silly joke-source, and it completely lacks any and all dogs and the whole comparison falls apart (POI has a dog and Bear is the best.)

E: is there a write up of the various different plots this game had at one point? must be a fun read.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 24, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SpookyLizard posted:

It kinda reminds me of when i first heard of the game, when someone brought it up the Person of Interest thread years ago before we knew the game was terrible, because the profiler resembled the Machine and because you could nonlethally deal with dudes by kneecaps. Of course the game makes no real distinction between fatally shooting a person and merely potentially crippling them for life, and the story is godawful and the profiler a silly joke-source, and it completely lacks any and all dogs and the whole comparison falls apart (POI has a dog and Bear is the best.)

The early info on this game definitely made it feel PoI-esque. Sadly PoI is about 6 kinds of awesome, and this game is negative 3.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

I hear the Chaperone and I think of like a bodyguard turned vigilinate because Mr. and Mrs Silver Spoon of Chicago have a son who is aping batman, but is completely incompetent. The Chaperones job is to thwart crime and make sure he eats healthy and gets in at a reasonable hour.

And that the wanna be vigilante he takes care of is a huge nerd and also Aiden.
So... the plot of the Green Hornet? At least the little bits I've gleaned from the previews of the Seth Rogan film.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

He is one of the better characters in the game in general. In fact, he would've worked quite well as the main character of the base game.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm not supposed to be sympathetic of a dumb idiot dog eating its own vomit

Which is why no one's been praising the writing for this game.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Calax posted:

So... the plot of the Green Hornet? At least the little bits I've gleaned from the previews of the Seth Rogan film.

No idea, I've never seen it. I"m not big on Seth Rogan.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Keeshhound posted:

it seemed so loving dumb that i swore i was missing something

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Keeshhound posted:

I don't know, I liked that moose ska band joke.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Suspicious Dish posted:

it seemed so loving dumb that i swore i was missing something

Nothing more than the results of several dumb scripts being tossed into a blender without anyone to review the resulting Franken-storyline.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

SpookyLizard posted:

No idea, I've never seen it. I"m not big on Seth Rogan.

Then maybe you should check out the TV series starring Bruce Lee instead. :shrug: It's actually quite good.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

And More posted:

Then maybe you should check out the TV series starring Bruce Lee instead. :shrug: It's actually quite good.

I saw the movie. It was stupid. Don't bother watching it. It's just another "incompetent Seth Rogan person" movie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

bman in 2288 posted:

I saw the movie. It was stupid. Don't bother watching it. It's just another "incompetent Seth Rogan person" movie.

This would be relevant if he actually suggested watching the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

bman in 2288 posted:

And it pissed off those of us that grew up watching Britt Reid and Kato...

• Locked thread