Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Here's a new trailer for Popolocrois x The Series Formerly Known As Harvest Moon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q89ps0yg3zs

Is Popolocrois like a thing? I remember an early PSP game and that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I don't entirely know what's going on there but I want it.

Think we'll actually get this one?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

homeless snail posted:

Yumi's Odd Odyssey is on sale for $10 right now.
Thanks for mentioning this, been waiting for a sale on this for a while now. Sure it looks like a cutesy anime game, but I'll play anything with a grappling hook mechanic, and this has one of the best grappling hooks of all time.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Dang, I pre-ordered Puzzles & Dragons from Nintendo the other day and never received a download code. Called Nintendo, they said they're having a lot of 'related issues' and someone will get in touch with me in 4-5 days. :wtf:

Guess I probably should have just canceled the order and bought it straight on the 3DS, but then I don't think I would have gotten the pre-order bonus. Oh well.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Mario version of Puzzle and Dragon looks really cute, but I'm terrible at puzzle games. I'm torn. :ohdear:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
get good at puzzle games and then buy it. simple

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I like drawing with the stylus. Anyone have colors 3d? Any good?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Silver Falcon posted:

The Mario version of Puzzle and Dragon looks really cute, but I'm terrible at puzzle games. I'm torn. :ohdear:
As far as these games go the mechanics of Puzzle and Dragons have a pretty smooth curve -- like since you can drag any orb anywhere you can start making one match of the color you want and slowly work your way up until you're matching 5 colors per turn under constraints -- it's pretty well designed in that regard, unlike Candy Crush or Bejeweled where planning out moves is feels both difficult and unrewarding.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

All of my Catherine experience has prepared me for Pushmo. Thanks for the rec it's a pretty fun block pushing game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sakurazuka posted:

Is Popolocrois like a thing? I remember an early PSP game and that's about it.

It's a cult series with several games on PS1/2 plus the PSP port you mentioned, but they're hasn't been a new game in about ten years. The IP is owned or co-owned by Sony, so it's weird that they're bringing it back on 3DS, and as a Bokujo Monogatari crossover to boot.

Nettle Soup posted:

I don't entirely know what's going on there but I want it.

Think we'll actually get this one?

There are people within XSEED who really want to bring it over but I'm sure the Sony issue complicates things, plus they only just released Story of Seasons, so who knows how long it'd take 'em to release this new game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If they could still call it Harvest Moon at least it would be half recognizable, if they brought it over now it'd be a crossover between 2 games no one has ever heard of.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

It's a cult series with several games on PS1/2 plus the PSP port you mentioned, but they're hasn't been a new game in about ten years. The IP is owned or co-owned by Sony, so it's weird that they're bringing it back on 3DS, and as a Bokujo Monogatari crossover to boot.

Oh, so that's why I keep misremembering it as a Vita game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So does P&D Mario Edition do away with the lovely-rear end F2P level curve design of the original game? That's basically the big thing I hate about F2P games and I'm curious if they rebalanced it for smoother gameplay or if it's basically just a F2P-style grind but without money limits.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
They need to bring back Metroidvania.

Also they could probably port Metroid Prime over really easily, come on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fuzz posted:

They need to bring back Metroidvania.

Also they could probably port Metroid Prime over really easily, come on.

I'm actually surprised there is no 3DS version of Guacamelee, considering it's on everything else.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
3DS is not an easy or convenient platform to port games to, and even having Unity support on New 3DS is only gonna help so much.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

3DS is not an easy or convenient platform to port games to, and even having Unity support on New 3DS is only gonna help so much.

Very true, but it is on literally every other gaming platform (save for smartphones) so there's some pretty robust coding there at least.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ImpAtom posted:

So does P&D Mario Edition do away with the lovely-rear end F2P level curve design of the original game? That's basically the big thing I hate about F2P games and I'm curious if they rebalanced it for smoother gameplay or if it's basically just a F2P-style grind but without money limits.

If you mean specifically grinding levels for your party, there is a particular type of enemy (the coin coffers, that drops that you can feed into your ally monsters for big EXP gains. This enemy comes in each color, and if you match colors the bonus is even greater, enough to take the tier 1 monsters from level 1 to their max of 25 with just one feed, and about 5-7 levels for a tier 2 monster. You can also use other monsters in this process, but they provide significantly less EXP. The grind, then, is playing levels with that enemy type a lot to get them to feed to your favorite dudes, and also finding the materials to transform lower tier dudes into higher tier dudes.

As for whether you need to do this, I haven't felt the need to do it so far, but I'm in World 6 now and things are getting somewhat tougher. I have, however, chosen to do a bit of grinding for those enemies since I had tier 2 dudes who I happened to have the items to transform into tier 3 dudes, and leveling in lower tiers requires less EXP than in higher tiers.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DQ8 comparison shots (PS2 first, 3DS second):

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That is some terrible draw distance, yow.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Coulda had an HD remaster but nooooooo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How does that compare to the iPhone version?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

How does that compare to the iPhone version?

Draw distance aside, the iPhone version runs at significantly less than 30 FPS on an iPhone 6 and has never, ever been patched despite some awful crash issues

So it'd be hard to make it worse

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

DQ8 comparison shots (PS2 first, 3DS second):

Please please please be localized. I've never played DQ8 but I really want to.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

littleorv posted:

Please please please be localized. I've never played DQ8 but I really want to.

Just find a PS2 copy or emulate it... those screenshots make it look like they took possibly the best looking game on PS2 and made it look like blurry dogshit

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

goferchan posted:

the best looking game on PS2

I don't see a Klonoa 2 port here

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

goferchan posted:

Just find a PS2 copy or emulate it... those screenshots make it look like they took possibly the best looking game on PS2 and made it look like blurry dogshit

I can grab a copy off Amazon for $30 so maybe I'll do that. The worst part will be digging through the crawl space to try and find my PS2.

Edit: Wait I have one of those MGS4 playstations that are backwards compatible. Score.

littleorv fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 23, 2015

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dragon Quest VIII looks pretty amazing in PCSX2 so yeah I'd recommend that:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DQ8 is the best looking DQ game but man I really didnt care for the story at all. Boring as gently caress. I much prefer DQ5 and DQ7.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I had high hopes for DQ8 when I played it, but lost interest in a hour and sold it. I did like DQ9, but that game has almost no story at all and more like DQ3 in setup.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What's the deal with Puzzles and Dragon's on the Mario side? It's really loving hard! Like I literally cannot do any damage to things half the time and everything hits for 1000-2000 right out the gate. I went to the dumb puzzles and dragons z side and it's marginally less bullshit. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around :psyduck:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fans were split on it due to the multiplayer stuff meaning you didn't have any actual characters in your party, just a silent MC and three created characters on top of moving from console to handheld, but I thought DQIX was pretty fun.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is the 3DS Monkey Ball game any good?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

No

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I assume since I never even knew there was one until now

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What's the deal with Puzzles and Dragon's on the Mario side? It's really loving hard! Like I literally cannot do any damage to things half the time and everything hits for 1000-2000 right out the gate. I went to the dumb puzzles and dragons z side and it's marginally less bullshit. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around :psyduck:

Mario side is a lot more straight forward in that you get straight to the game, but they do expect you to be, comboing, leveling up and using leaders well. Overall, it's actually a lot closer to the mobile game in all the mechanics. However, there's stages that spawn coin coffers so you can level up that way. Padz has a lot of stuff restructured to act closer to a jrpg and the xp gain from fighting just seems to be all around higher. I haven't put as much time into it yet though.

How far along in mario are you? You probably just need to go back and level up and evolve some dudes. Their first forms are usually pretty weak.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

PBnJamo posted:

Mario side is a lot more straight forward in that you get straight to the game, but they do expect you to be, comboing, leveling up and using leaders well. Overall, it's actually a lot closer to the mobile game in all the mechanics. However, there's stages that spawn coin coffers so you can level up that way. Padz has a lot of stuff restructured to act closer to a jrpg and the xp gain from fighting just seems to be all around higher. I haven't put as much time into it yet though.

How far along in mario are you? You probably just need to go back and level up and evolve some dudes. Their first forms are usually pretty weak.

About halfway to world 3 and all my dudes are level like 10-13ish

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Oh yeah, I remember the difficulty spiking a bit there. Just level up some and you'll be fine. Don't forget to fuse guys together for more levels and try to use newer mario bros. Coin coffers are the best since killing them nets you 1000 exp, but using them to power up another ally will make their level shoot up.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Leveling up, evolving, team leader...
Whatever happened to the days of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Meteos, and Pokémon Puzzle Challenge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Jarogue posted:

Leveling up, evolving, team leader...
Whatever happened to the days of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, Meteos, and Pokémon Puzzle Challenge?

I'd kill for a Meteos 3DS. Basically the same but with eye searing 3d madness on the top screen when you clear blocks.