Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Methanar posted:

hey

hey you

makes me miss my old job, they had an industrial metal grinder from the previous tenant in the warehouse. Nothing more satisfying then dumping twenty hard drives into it and watching them get eaten up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

hey

hey you

Hammer day was my favorite day of the month at my last job :(

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
What's that hiding back there?

Oh. That's right. All we had for a management host was this custom built desktop.

And it's running Windows 10 tech preview. :psyboom:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

the spyder posted:

What's that hiding back there?

Oh. That's right. All we had for a management host was this custom built desktop.

And it's running Windows 10 tech preview. :psyboom:
Is that JPEG artifacting, or are the drives in that SuperMicro chassis installed out of order? It looks like the third column counts up 15-14-17.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i trust the custom built desktop more than the supermicro stuff

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So I was part of proposing that we upgrade our 2003 non redundant and unbacked up DC, SQL server and 3 other servers that are running software that my company straight up cannot exist without

It was ridiculously unwell accepted. Nobody really seemed to care that server 2003 was EOL and that all it took was 2 hours of production to justify the cost. It was ignored when I brought up that the cost of electricity to power the mill for 25 minutes, the length of the meeting, was higher than purchasing the hardware/licensing to upgrade. Both were serious business expenses, why not take both of them seriously

"Why do we need microsoft support when you just bought that new anti virus in January"

After the meeting it was suggested

quote:

We should just unplug the DC. That'll convince them

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

mayodreams posted:

I straight up told a PM and Director we aren't going forward with a completely new AD that we will dump our 2 existing ones into because we simply don't have the time or resources to do it with the current incident and project load. I flat out told them I am already pushed too far and if they want to stop all other project work and support for me, then sure I'll go along, but not otherwise. I've got serious burnout and I'm not just going to sit here and take more and more poo poo because ~~reasons~~. Meanwhile I am seriously looking for another job to get out of this hell hole.

Haha, same poo poo here. Merged with a healthcare system a bit smaller than us, but all our managers left. We're under mostly their management.
However business decisions have been made to use our HRIS, payroll, sharepoint, etc etc systems. We do have a trust set up, but that doesn't work well for LDAP-only integrated apps.
There's a buttload of account name conflicts. They have over a dozen ad or ldap integrated apps, we have several dozen.

A go live is coming up soon for our cloud hosted HRIS app, and we constantly get tickets from the other organization wanting access to various resources on our side.
After dozens of meetings and arguments, we're sort of proposing we do an ADMT migration of all of the employee accounts into OUR domain, renaming them to something with the employee number.

I have a SAML server in place, but the token we use for authentication is sAMAccountName, and we've already vetted out changing it - it's off the table.

So it's a shitstorm, because it wasn't "the vision". We got our manager to buy in, our director is flustered and at this point says we need to pitch it to our CIO directly

It's not a great solution, but it gets us closer to to a single domain organization - and we can stop spaghetti-ing stuff together over the trust. Their existing services can run in their domain, for now, using their accounts. Our domain will have sid-mapped accounts, allowing them hopefully easier access to our resources, and gradually we can migrate their services to a single domain.

And it's not like I'm pulling this out of my butt. I'm not the only one calling for it now.

And it's also not like I'm the one that said we aren't moving from our domain to the other domain.

A number of people want to migrate to a THIRD domain - I don't care. I can migrate the apps I support to a third domain, but I honestly think if we try that, it will be one of those things that doesn't ever get finished, and now we have accounts in 3 domains that need to get provisioned\deprovisioned with every hire\term.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 23, 2015

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

go3 posted:

o_O

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

go3 posted:

It's an "enterprise" desktop. We can charge 3 times the price for it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Vulture Culture posted:

Here I am buying up all these G6 blades for pennies on the dollar, shipping them wholesale to a place where power and cooling cost virtually nothing, throwing them out when they fail, and laughing all the way to the bank

Seriously gently caress the iLO on the G6 series though

Is there something I should know about G6 iLO? I had to figure out how how to use some linux tool to reset the passwords on them, but since then I've had both iLO working perfectly.

Also, the best thing about buying older gear on eBay is having a junior IT guy who can sell it back onto eBay down the road for break-even or sometimes a profit. My finance team is going to look at me real funny one of these months when my budget expenditure is actually a credit.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 23, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Is there something I should know about G6 iLO? I had to figure out how how to use some linux tool to reset the passwords on them, but since then I've had both iLO working perfectly.

Also, the best thing about buying older gear on eBay is having a junior IT guy who can sell it back onto eBay down the road for break-even or sometimes a profit. My finance team is going to look at me real funny one of these months when my budget expenditure is actually a credit.
If you have it working okay, that's cool. The remote KVM and remote media are really temperamental about the OS, Java versions and security settings, SSO from the C7000 blade chassis is really finicky, and there's a lot of weird problems that require periodic blade management resets. I never had these problems with IBM's management UIs since like 2007 or whenever they introduced the four-digit xSeries boxes.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
How did you network guys get started?

Is it just a matter of landing in the right help desk/Tier 1 job where you get to touch network stuff too, or is it worth trying to seek out something like a "Jr Network Admin" opening?

Studying for CCNA now and I'm sure that will help with when I finally get it, but it seems like all the postings I see want crazy amounts of experience in addition to the certs.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I started on the help desk for a small ISP. Learned the basics, got promoted a few times and then left to work for other larger orgs that needed a dedicated networking person. That was ten plus years ago when smaller CLECs were a bit more common. Many of those small ISPs are defunct or absorbed into the ILECs now.

Get the CCNA cert. I am of the opinion that it might be the best bang for the buck certification in all of IT. For entry to mid-level folks, the $300 you spend taking the test will be repaid many times over in the level ($$$) of positions you can be considered for. Experience matters, but you need to pass the HR filter first and a CCNA makes that markedly easier.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

GOOCHY posted:

I started on the help desk for a small ISP. Learned the basics, got promoted a few times and then left to work for other larger orgs that needed a dedicated networking person. That was ten plus years ago when smaller CLECs were a bit more common. Many of those small ISPs are defunct or absorbed into the ILECs now.

Get the CCNA cert. I am of the opinion that it might be the best bang for the buck certification in all of IT. For entry to mid-level folks, the $300 you spend taking the test will be repaid many times over in the level ($$$) of positions you can be considered for. Experience matters, but you need to pass the HR filter first and a CCNA makes that markedly easier.

It's included in tuition at WGU which is nice, but I've got to take the two part exam so I'll have my CCENT in a week or so if I pass, and then start studying for part 2. I'm content to work for what I make now as a Tier 1-2ish type guy but I just want the hands on experience for the time being I guess. From what I have seen the only positions that get posted, around here at least, are for senior positions which I don't even try to apply for.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

The grounding in network fundamentals I gained from studying for the ccna has helped me immeasurably just in the last 6 months as a NOC tech, then especially in my current position where I spend most of my days working on firewalls of various flavors. In all of the interviews I had in March and April, I was much more prepared thanks to it. I've never seen the stuff for the network+, but I can't imagine it's as thorough.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I grabbed Net+ and Sec+ as they were required classes for school, and they filled in some gaps in knowledge and brought me up to speed with the basics definitely. I also got Net+ before I had even landed my first IT job so it helped me get some responses. I need to get some more experience before I move up, but I also don't want to be a help desk worker with a CCNA for too long.

Landing some work in a NOC even if it's the same tier 1/2 troubleshooting seems like it would be a step in the right direction. I think I'll start keeping an eye out for those types of openings and tailor my resume to highlight networking knowledge.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I joined the Navy, four years of your life but you're paid to get a CCNA level education while you're there and then paid to go to college when you're out. That's four solid years of experience at like 80 hours a week if you're on a ship, you learn a fuckton that way and neither you nor your bosses can be laid off or fired so everyone actually teaches you to do everything, instead of withholding information like you sometimes see in the private sector.

I hated it sometimes but there's something to be said for working on a floating island with poo poo gear where you can't just call someone else in for help, if the comms are down it's maybe down to two people to get a billion dollar ship back online.

When you're out, a lot of companies have massive hardons for hiring vets too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

On the flip side, the military is terrible and any IT company with a hard on for hiring vets is usually a terrible place to work.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

crunk dork posted:

How did you network guys get started?

CCNA + lots of home labbing, got a job as a jr systems administrator for a web-based SaaS company. After ~6 months or so I started applying for jobs, applied for a Network Engineer position and they liked me enough to bring me on board.

Apparently the networking talent pool in Chicago is really, really limited because this environment is laughably bad and at ~8 months of experience in IT I am pointing out huge infrastructure design problems that the previous guys with 5+ years of experience on me had been making.

So, I would recommend moving to Chicago I guess.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I don't know how to gauge the job market of where I am really but it's a medium sized city of almost 1mil so I'm assuming there aren't that many great opportunities. Moving isn't an option either, guess I'll just stick it out and keep studying/labbing until I get a network gig and hold onto it forever until I have the experience that I see deemed necessary on all these postings.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Do you guys have any trusted vendors who buy used datacenter equipment? We consolidated our installations so now we have a ton of Dell PowerEdge servers and other junk that I want to get rid of ASAP for an okay price.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

quote:

medium sized

quote:

almost 1mil

What

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Haha I was thinking the same

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Well when I think of large I think of like Chicago or NYC or something. Indianapolis is decently sized but I don't know if I would really describe it as large myself, but I guess that's a matter of opinion too.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

crunk dork posted:

Well when I think of large I think of like Chicago or NYC or something. Indianapolis is decently sized but I don't know if I would really describe it as large myself, but I guess that's a matter of opinion too.

There's only 10 cities total with a pop of 1mil out of literally thousands of cities.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

socialsecurity posted:

There's only 10 cities total with a pop of 1mil out of literally thousands of cities.

There's 59 metro areas with populations over 1m

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

socialsecurity posted:

I don't think it's 1mil here unless you're counting the entire metro area to be fair, but I understand your point and didn't really think about that I guess.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I live in a metro of roughly 200k and there is no shortage of IT jobs.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

psydude posted:

On the flip side, the military is terrible and any IT company with a hard on for hiring vets is usually a terrible place to work.

"Ex-miliatary" in a boss is a huge red flag for me now. It's not enough to completely nix a possible employment opportunity, but if I learn that my potential future boss is ex-military, I'm going to take a much closer, critical look at his mannerisms and personality than I might otherwise. I know this isn't a fair generalization, and I'm sure there are plenty of managers who used to be in the military that actually make the transition to civilian leadership and don't treat their people like fungible, disposable grunts. But I've been down that road, and never again if I can help it.

I have automatic respect for anyone that serves in the military, it's a huge sacrifice if you ask me. But I'm not a soldier, and I don't want a boss that acts like a drill sergeant.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

adorai posted:

I live in a metro of roughly 200k and there is no shortage of IT jobs.

I'm not saying there is a shortage of jobs, I'm just saying that it appears to me that most of the openings are for mid to senior level roles. I wasn't sure if junior roles even really exist in decent numbers or if you just kind of hang out in help desk and pick up experience and knowledge in whatever field you want to specialize in and then start trying to grab mid-level roles.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

crunk dork posted:

I don't think it's 1mil here unless you're counting the entire metro area to be fair, but I understand your point and didn't really think about that I guess.

I always think this is a poo poo way to look at things. Phoenix is close to the size of the Minneapolis metro area, but I've lived both places and they're similar.

All you need to do is look at "largest cities" and think "why the hell are Phoenix and San Jose higher than DC, Seattle, and Boston?"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Che Delilas posted:

"Ex-miliatary" in a boss is a huge red flag for me now. It's not enough to completely nix a possible employment opportunity, but if I learn that my potential future boss is ex-military, I'm going to take a much closer, critical look at his mannerisms and personality than I might otherwise. I know this isn't a fair generalization, and I'm sure there are plenty of managers who used to be in the military that actually make the transition to civilian leadership and don't treat their people like fungible, disposable grunts. But I've been down that road, and never again if I can help it.

I have automatic respect for anyone that serves in the military, it's a huge sacrifice if you ask me. But I'm not a soldier, and I don't want a boss that acts like a drill sergeant.

My last boss at the last place was a West Point REMF type. Dead-eyed, humorless and he had weird communication requirements. In a conversation he wouldn't allow me to use pronouns. If I did he would immediately stop me and say "Who?" despite obvious context clues. So if I started by saying "I want to tell you about an email from the CFO" for the rest of the conversation I couldn't say "he" or else I'd get asked to specify. "Who's 'he?' I don't know who 'he' is." I had to say the CFO's name over and over or risk derailing the conversation by use of those tricky pronouns.

Thank goodness he rarely ever spoke to me because that poo poo was dumb and tedious.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
At work, I've got a large number of servers that need to be monitored in a windows environment.
On a periodic basis, I'm supposed to get hard drive space, verify antivirus, check the event logs and check performance

For Hard Drive space, I've written a powershell script that basically takes care of it.
For Antivirus, there's a way to get at it with WMI, but it's not really documented what the return values mean.
For event logs, I've been looking at Perfmon /rel because it gives a good "At-a-glance" view of system stability but I can't figure out how to do that remotely.
For performance I can set up logging I guess, but I don't know if I'd get something useful out if it.

I'm wondering, are there any good (preferably free) options that would help me out? Ideally I'd like to have this thing be automated so I just get a report on all the servers.
If that's not possible, I'd like something that I could give to 10 different people for 100 servers and get consistent results.

Any ideas on what I should be looking at?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Are you opposed to zabbix (or another agent), or collection with powershell and dumping it into a database that you generate reports from with SSRS or grafana or something?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

My last boss at the last place was a West Point REMF type.

Mine was a loud, obnoxious jackass who only knew how to lead through intimidation and fear. He was a huge fan of schedules and the clock, to the exclusion of all other forms of evaluation, nevermind that strict schedules made no sense for my (dev) position. Gotta fit every soldier into the same mold or we don't have an army! (It's NOT an army, jackass)

The pronoun thing is super weird. My boss would shriek "woo-hoo" in the hall at the top of his lungs every single day, at a random time. Thanks for shattering my concentration every day, you loving peacock, that really accomplishes a shitload. I don't think that had anything to do with the military background though, it was just an ego stroking ("hey everyone pay attention to me!").

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

My last boss at the last place was a West Point REMF type. Dead-eyed, humorless and he had weird communication requirements. In a conversation he wouldn't allow me to use pronouns. If I did he would immediately stop me and say "Who?" despite obvious context clues. So if I started by saying "I want to tell you about an email from the CFO" for the rest of the conversation I couldn't say "he" or else I'd get asked to specify. "Who's 'he?' I don't know who 'he' is." I had to say the CFO's name over and over or risk derailing the conversation by use of those tricky pronouns.

Thank goodness he rarely ever spoke to me because that poo poo was dumb and tedious.

My high school history teacher was like that. Pronouns were completely forbidden, contractions too with the sole exception of gov't for some reason.

You must always spell out everything in it's entirety. Even doing something like "the Domain Controller (DC). The DC..." was an immediate paragraph of red pen.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

At work, I've got a large number of servers that need to be monitored in a windows environment.
On a periodic basis, I'm supposed to get hard drive space, verify antivirus, check the event logs and check performance

For Hard Drive space, I've written a powershell script that basically takes care of it.
For Antivirus, there's a way to get at it with WMI, but it's not really documented what the return values mean.
For event logs, I've been looking at Perfmon /rel because it gives a good "At-a-glance" view of system stability but I can't figure out how to do that remotely.
For performance I can set up logging I guess, but I don't know if I'd get something useful out if it.

I'm wondering, are there any good (preferably free) options that would help me out? Ideally I'd like to have this thing be automated so I just get a report on all the servers.
If that's not possible, I'd like something that I could give to 10 different people for 100 servers and get consistent results.

Does your antivirus have a centralized reporting function?

For all of the others do you use any monitoring products already? We use n-able but I have heard good things about kaseya and nagios.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We use Solarwinds Orion but it's really god drat expensive.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lampey posted:

Does your antivirus have a centralized reporting function?

For all of the others do you use any monitoring products already? We use n-able but I have heard good things about kaseya and nagios.

It really depends on what you want accomplished and how scalable you need it.

I don't have any experience with Kaseya, but Nagios isn't bad for a small to small-medium sized business. The licensing is certainly inexpensive. Support seems a little lacking, but we used it in an extremely limited way and for a small subset of devices we needed specific data from so we really didn't need their support services. But as we're going through a re-design of our architecture with a definite emphasis on delivery and automation, we found it didn't scale to what we needed it to do easily.

We looked at Orion (NPM, NetFlow, NCM modules), but we had some real issues with MIBs that they didn't have pre-created pollers for. You basically have to create your own poller by re-purposing another one in from their MIB blob (you can't add your own) but putting in the OIDs you want the poller to query. HUGE pain in the rear end. Plus there were scalability issues for how we wanted to use it. The licensing wasn't too terrible, but we could amortize the cost into cross charges as part of IT and also bake it into the Managed Services contracts, so cost justification is somewhat less of a pain than some places.

We're actually putting in Netcool with some bells and whistles and Splunk. Netcool does the polling and trap receipt for SNMP, and Splunk is where all our syslog feeds go. In splunk we have some live triggers that will fire off "interesting" events to Netcool for further correlation and automation/escalation. We also plan on implementing NCM in Netcool as well. While you still need to customize the polling for MIBs that aren't pre-loaded, you can actually import your own MIB files. Setting up which OIDs need to be used was less of a pain than in Orion. Licensing is crazy expensive (in my opinion), but at the same time it does exactly what we need it to, is extremely scalable, and the automation and correlation engine is excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid A
Jul 27, 2003

O Captain! My Part Time
Alternate Captain!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

We are using the ELK stack to view our event logs. It's moderately painless to set up, I used this post as a guide. It's free and it's much nicer to look at than actual event logs.