Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

It is 100% this. It's usually middle aged white people with an irrational love of "americana" that they don't really understand at all. This is why here you can buy a 2001 F150 Harley Davidson edition for a mere 35 grand!

Or if you're from the other side of the V8 MATE camp you can buy a 2005 Chevy Silverado SS for only 60 grand!

Finally, a Dodge Ram 1500 2003 for 42,000.

They have no benefits over a australian/NZDM ute whatsoever and, indeed, are actually extra useless here because they don't fit in any of the parking spots and are often too wide for driveways/side roads so literally the only reason to buy one is having too much money, not enough sense and a hard-on for american wankery.*

*:no offence to americans intended.

Don't worry, the idiots buying those trucks in the US are wankers too. maybe 10% of people who own a giant truck ever use it to haul stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ironically, apparently some Aussies pine for US domestic market trucks, while I pine for Aussie domestic market Utes. :(

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

MrYenko posted:

Ironically, apparently some Aussies pine for US domestic market trucks, while I pine for Aussie domestic market Utes. :(

Always the way. :(

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Any aussies reading this: I will trade you all the big dumb american trucks you can handle for a Skyline, PM me, also you pay for shipping

e. yeah throw in a ute too please

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

veedubfreak posted:

Don't worry, the idiots buying those trucks in the US are wankers too. maybe 10% of people who own a giant truck ever use it to haul stuff.

I've hauled more poo poo further in my Justy than probably 75% of fullsize truck owners ever will.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Code Jockey posted:

Any aussies reading this: I will trade you all the big dumb american trucks you can handle for a Skyline, PM me, also you pay for shipping

You're going to be a bit more specific than that or you'll end up with one of these

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/nissan/auction-890108101.htm
130 HP of single cam straight six fury

or perhaps one of these:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/nissan/auction-889488328.htm
215 HP with four speed auto

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

veedubfreak posted:

I own a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab. It has 36k miles on it. It also leaks in the rain, front brakes pulsate when braking, and all of the plastic trim has turned to chalk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dissss posted:

You're going to be a bit more specific than that or you'll end up with one of these

or perhaps one of these:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/nissan/auction-889488328.htm
215 HP with four speed auto

There's a lousy jackass who keeps attending out Cars & Coffee meets and persists in calling them "SkyRINE" every time he talks.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Rhyno posted:

There's a lousy jackass who keeps attending out Cars & Coffee meets and persists in calling them "SkyRINE" every time he talks.

This appeared in my work lot on Monday:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I see he opted for the body-match tow hooks and muffler package...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kastein posted:

I've hauled more poo poo further in my Justy than probably 75% of fullsize truck owners ever will.

I've hauled more poo poo in my Audi Sportback than most people who own trucks. The people at the local lumber yard are always amused at how much I can fit in there and all of the little foam things I put down to save the leather.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DropShadow posted:

This appeared in my work lot on Monday:

That is the direct equivalent to people paying exhorbitant amounts for american pickups here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

That is the direct equivalent to people paying exhorbitant amounts for american pickups here.

not really because, in canada at least, a skyline is about the same price of the equivalent mustang. from the basic clean car for $5k to the clean 400-500hp car at $20k.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'll bet you can't get any R32 Skyline in condition even approaching 'clean' for $5k CAD

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

dissss posted:

I'd love one of these in a clean condition, the outrage from R3X fanboys would be delicious.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Delivery McGee posted:

As far as I can tell, the Ford Ranger/Toyota Hilux-class are the biggest pickups currently available from the manufacturer in Australia. That and car-based utes. Australia is a weird parallel universe where the ute rose to prominence instead of the pickup truck..

Theres a few that are a bit bigger- Nissan Patrol ute and Toyota Landcruiser Ute, but nothing even remotely approaching the size of the US pickup trucks. We tend to use things like Mitsubishi, Hino and Isuzu trucks for that role.

Its hilarious watching idiots buy big US trucks to go offroading in, not realising that every single track in australia was carved by either a Series Landy/Defender, a Landcruiser or a Patrol. They just dont loving fit!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I dunno man, new Landcruisers are pretty god drat massive.

It still amazes me that elsewhere in the world they get turned into rigs. I don't think I've ever seen a post 1990 model here that even had a scratch on it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

iwentdoodie posted:

I dunno man, new Landcruisers are pretty god drat massive.

It still amazes me that elsewhere in the world they get turned into rigs. I don't think I've ever seen a post 1990 model here that even had a scratch on it.

I know a lot of people that wheel the 80 series (91-97) and the 100 series (98-07). The 80 series is insanely capable stock - 35s will fit without lift, the stock solid axles will handle them - or even tires around 37", F/R/Center lockers stock, etc. We always called them Trail Limos because they are really quiet and have nice interiors.

This one has a 3" lift and 37's, otherwise completely stock suspension/diff wise.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 23, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I want to see a picture of that when he's another foot or so forward.

It's either a train wreck or that thing has amazing suspension travel. Hard to tell without seeing how dropped the other side is in this pic.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
80s can flex pretty well for what they are :v:

Not many people in the US know about them doing well off road for whatever reason. They are cheap as gently caress, too. Only real issue on them is the headgasket likes to go around the 6th cylinder around 150k miles but I did the one on mine and it wasn't bad at all. Head is heavy as gently caress, but it is a 4.5l straight 6. Dead nuts reliable, cheap parts, solid axles with F/R/C lockers, nice interior.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 23, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dissss posted:

I'll bet you can't get any R32 Skyline in condition even approaching 'clean' for $5k CAD

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...gationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...gationFlag=true

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BlackMK4 posted:

I know a lot of people that wheel the 80 series (91-97) and the 100 series (98-07). The 80 series is insanely capable stock - 35s will fit without lift, the stock solid axles will handle them - or even tires around 37", F/R/Center lockers stock, etc. We always called them Trail Limos because they are really quiet and have nice interiors.

This one has a 3" lift and 37's, otherwise completely stock suspension/diff wise.

I'm assuming IFS?

I knew they were really capable, I've just honestly never seen them like that except online. I've also never once looked into one, as I know they're $lol when new.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm assuming IFS?

I knew they were really capable, I've just honestly never seen them like that except online. I've also never once looked into one, as I know they're $lol when new.

Solid axle front and rear.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

That's a good stuff. Nice.

BlackMK4 posted:

Not many people in the US know about them doing well off road for whatever reason. They are cheap as gently caress, too. Only real issue on them is the headgasket likes to go around the 6th cylinder around 150k miles but I did the one on mine and it wasn't bad at all. Head is heavy as gently caress, but it is a 4.5l straight 6. Dead nuts reliable, cheap parts, solid axles with F/R/C lockers, nice interior.

Like Land Rover, we only got luxury trim models here and in relatively small number. Add to that the market being flooded with lovely and inexpensive domestic SUVs built on pickup truck running gear at the time (mostly with IFS - blah).

Cheap is relative, but you aren't going to have an easy time finding things in the scrap yard. And a lot of the 80s I've seen for sale here are either just about parts cars or someone's kitted out/restored overpriced toy.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BlackMK4 posted:

Solid axle front and rear.

Aaaand now I'm searching.

drat you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

80 series is insanely good off road. They're pretty much unobtainable here for any decent amount of money nowadays because they're considered the last true off-road capable landcruiser. I realise the 100 series is pretty good but live front axle models are next to impossible to find. I've only ever driven a petrol one once; most of the ones around here are an auto 4L diesel. The engine in question is an absolute monster, too.

Powershift posted:

not really because, in canada at least, a skyline is about the same price of the equivalent mustang. from the basic clean car for $5k to the clean 400-500hp car at $20k.

This is all well and true but the number plate says minnesota :ssh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Slavvy posted:

80 series is insanely good off road. They're pretty much unobtainable here for any decent amount of money nowadays because they're considered the last true off-road capable landcruiser. I realise the 100 series is pretty good but live front axle models are next to impossible to find. I've only ever driven a petrol one once; most of the ones around here are an auto 4L diesel. The engine in question is an absolute monster, too.

This is all well and true but the number plate says minnesota :ssh:

and that car was probably purchased in canada and driven over. Next year, you'll be able to buy this thing for 3 grand US and register it in the states http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...gationFlag=true

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

The 100 here came with IFS but there are a few shops (Slee, for one) that put the 80 series axle up front for a reasonable price. drat nice trucks, my friend had one and even with IFS it did really well. The V8 in them (I think it's a 1UZ) sounds pretty cool too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

That R32 will be absolutely made of rust by this point - almost all of the GTS-4s were sold in areas of Japan that got a lot of snow and 90s Nissan didn't exactly cope with that well.

e. As for LandCruisers you can still buy a 70 series brand new, and engine aside not much has changed

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

dissss posted:

e. As for LandCruisers you can still buy a 70 series brand new, and engine aside not much has changed

I really want a chassis cab one of these, it would make an ideal service truck.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Any idea how this damaged was cause? The whole left side was mashed in slightly and the front and rear windows were plexiglass that appeared to be held in place by some sort of rubber cement?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BlackMK4 posted:

They are cheap as gently caress, too.
I think that may be a local market thing. They hold their value very well over here in comparison to other 4x4s. For instance, a 20-year-old 80 series probably cost £30-35k new here, and you could still expect to pay in the region of £4k for one, whereas an equivalent Range Rover (easily 10-20% more new) is more like half that if it's a good one.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

neonbregna posted:

Any idea how this damaged was cause? The whole left side was mashed in slightly and the front and rear windows were plexiglass that appeared to be held in place by some sort of rubber cement?

Sure looks like a rollover to me.

E: Check out the circular arcs on the scratches, had to have spun against a flat surface, ie the road.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

neonbregna posted:

Partial rollover maybe? Or sliding sideways into a wall.

dev/null
Dec 8, 2004

This custom title is not tax-deductible
:froggonk:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251966097066?rmvSB=true

quote:

The amount invested in wasted on this custom professionally built car far exceeds the buy it now price.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

InitialDave posted:

I think that may be a local market thing. They hold their value very well over here in comparison to other 4x4s. For instance, a 20-year-old 80 series probably cost £30-35k new here, and you could still expect to pay in the region of £4k for one, whereas an equivalent Range Rover (easily 10-20% more new) is more like half that if it's a good one.

There is a reason they are worth more.... I've seen quite a few in the $4-5k range. I sold mine with a shitload of body damage from off-roading for 3.5k, iirc.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Volvette? Yuck.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Mooseykins posted:

Volvette? Yuck.

No, this is a Volvette:

(definitely belongs in the other thread)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Negromancer posted:

No, this is a Volvette:

(definitely belongs in the other thread)

If this was a '80s 240 wagon you'd have to separate me from it with a surgical knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

Never been in accident, got hit and run on the driver's side door but replaced it already,

:geno:

quote:

A complete 1992 Corvette and a complete 1967 Volvo 1800 were the starting point for this professionally constructed custom car. A complete 1992 Corvette and a complete 1967 Volvo 1800 were the starting point for this professionally constructed custom car.

Cool