Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ProfessorCirno posted:

I mean by the third movie Luke is just somersaulting and flip-jumping all over the drat place.

It's not exactly the most original idea but you could get some decent mileage out of taking Star Wars and going full wuxia with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Kai Tave posted:

It's not exactly the most original idea but you could get some decent mileage out of taking Star Wars and going full wuxia with it.

Just play a bunch of Teras Kasi students and you're even still in-universe.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So my PCs in a game have just sold off both of their ships (hahahahahahahahahaha) and caught a ride to a mysterious benefactor's home planet because they are under the impression that said mysterious benefactor will, and I quote, "give us a ship."

Now, mysterious benefactor is rich, ridiculously so, but she didn't get that way by giving anything away for free. When they ask, yes, she will definitely offer a ship of some sort. However, I'm thinking of a 20 point obligation for the group at minimum to show how much they owe her, and the incredible amount of power she can bring down on them if they fail to live up to their side of whatever bargain she comes up with.

I'm trying to think of an awesome ship to give them and I'm stumped. It doesn't have to be anything that's directly from Star Wars. It really doesn't. I gave my last group a Reaper (like, from Mass Effect) when they made a ton of successful rolls to find a unique ship, but I don't know exactly where I want to go with the one now.

Here's what I'm looking for:

* Style. This group is very much a style-over-substance type of group at the moment. They want something that looks cool.
* A good floor plan. Something with cargo space/hallways/etc for any boarding gunfights.
* Does not in any way have to be an actual Star Wars ship.
* Can be a cannon ship that belongs elsewhere. Like I've thought of giving them The Crucible because why not.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Give them the Event Horizon and a bunch of helmets with the blast-shields permanently down and tell them, "where you're going, you don't need eyes."

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
For different and cool-lookin’, try an AIAT/i, then steal the plans for a flying boat as a guide for the interior.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
If you want style over substance go for a sleek silver Naboo space yacht like the J-type 327

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Swags posted:

So my PCs in a game have just sold off both of their ships (hahahahahahahahahaha) and caught a ride to a mysterious benefactor's home planet because they are under the impression that said mysterious benefactor will, and I quote, "give us a ship."

Now, mysterious benefactor is rich, ridiculously so, but she didn't get that way by giving anything away for free. When they ask, yes, she will definitely offer a ship of some sort. However, I'm thinking of a 20 point obligation for the group at minimum to show how much they owe her, and the incredible amount of power she can bring down on them if they fail to live up to their side of whatever bargain she comes up with.

I'm trying to think of an awesome ship to give them and I'm stumped. It doesn't have to be anything that's directly from Star Wars. It really doesn't. I gave my last group a Reaper (like, from Mass Effect) when they made a ton of successful rolls to find a unique ship, but I don't know exactly where I want to go with the one now.

* Style. This group is very much a style-over-substance type of group at the moment. They want something that looks cool.
* A good floor plan. Something with cargo space/hallways/etc for any boarding gunfights.
* Can be a cannon ship that belongs elsewhere. Like I've thought of giving them The Crucible because why not.

Firefly with big lasers on it. It's weird drive is now a super experimental hyperdrive that is fast as gently caress.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

A small ship that is bigger on the inside, but also has the most annoying AI that does everything on the ship itself, and is really annoying and paranoid.

Also the AI is slowly unlocking new tech and systems as the crew does menial tasks, like clean that awful smelling paste coating the forward hold unlocks two fighters up front.

So a cross between the following:
Tardis
Marvin the Paranoid Android
Stargate: Universe

Also make it look like a tie fighter.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Lexx

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm so lost at their reasoning. They sold off both of their ships before getting the new ship from the benefactor? Hell, before they even, ever met their benefactor? Why would you ever, ever do that? Why?

Just for kicks, give them The Enterprise.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Covok posted:

I'm so lost at their reasoning. They sold off both of their ships before getting the new ship from the benefactor? Hell, before they even, ever met their benefactor? Why would you ever, ever do that? Why?

Just for kicks, give them The Enterprise.

This is a fair point, they shouldn't be rewarded.

Give them a Bajoran Lightship

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Does anybody know what the implied timescale of Force and Destiny will be? Obviously it will be flexible, but I'm curious if there will be info on what's going on between VI and VII.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

FishFood posted:

Does anybody know what the implied timescale of Force and Destiny will be? Obviously it will be flexible, but I'm curious if there will be info on what's going on between VI and VII.

I doubt it. The rpgs series seems to have heavily focused on Pre-New Hope -> Return of the Jedi. I would predict that once the new movies are out we will see splat books to cover it though.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

FishFood posted:

The beta rulebook isn't very precise, but it does mention the Rebel Alliance having destroyed the Death Star at Yavin and being taken more seriously around the galaxy now.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Man, so I ran a combat where it was Gozanti cruiser (50 HP, 5 armor) vs the party YT-1300, and then another Gozanti carrying 4 TIEs jumps in, and fires, and while the players are making GBS threads their pants, it turns out the second Gozanti is actually an ally and is firing on the first.

But after about a half round of the Gozanti's six cannons, I just said "screw it, the odds are overwhelming, you win."

So keeping track of 14 NPCs (2 pilots plus 12 gunners) is just kind of awful. There's got to be some way to... abstract that all.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FISHMANPET posted:

Man, so I ran a combat where it was Gozanti cruiser (50 HP, 5 armor) vs the party YT-1300, and then another Gozanti carrying 4 TIEs jumps in, and fires, and while the players are making GBS threads their pants, it turns out the second Gozanti is actually an ally and is firing on the first.

But after about a half round of the Gozanti's six cannons, I just said "screw it, the odds are overwhelming, you win."

So keeping track of 14 NPCs (2 pilots plus 12 gunners) is just kind of awful. There's got to be some way to... abstract that all.

It's called weighing relative fleet strengths, treating all gunnery rolls as a single assisted roll per ship with a difficulty of the opposing pilot's piloting, and lots and lots of narrative for literally everything else. Fun stuff is using Computers for jamming or Mechanics for field repairs. Pilots can do special maneuvers to increase the gunnery difficulty next round or add boost die to their own gunnery roll by getting into a better firing position. That's it.

Done.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
Question RE: Obligation:

Let's say a PC's obligation comes up and that obligation is Criminal wanted in Corellian space. I've gotta get them to Corellian space and do some plotting and such. I get that. But after their little adventure, does the obligation go away?

Another PC has the obligation of Duty to Clan. His obligation comes up and his clan calls on him to do some dirty work for them in attaining some trade contracts. Does the obligation go away now? It just doesn't make sense to me, since he's still part of the clan.

Some I can see going away. If you have an obligation of "Nemesis." and you kill the guy, that one is done. But others, like Wanted by the Empire or something like that, I don't see how they'd just fade away.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Do you have AoR. There are rules for rolling gunnery attacks together.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

FISHMANPET posted:

Try combining them in minion groups, or just making 1 attack roll per weapon type and multiplying by the # firing. The biggest problem IMO is the lack of streamlined 'NPC Actions' like they added for space combat in Rogue Trader- so NPCs can use Damage Control/boost shields/spoof missiles without needing tons of rolls.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Swags posted:

Question RE: Obligation:

Let's say a PC's obligation comes up and that obligation is Criminal wanted in Corellian space. I've gotta get them to Corellian space and do some plotting and such. I get that. But after their little adventure, does the obligation go away?

Another PC has the obligation of Duty to Clan. His obligation comes up and his clan calls on him to do some dirty work for them in attaining some trade contracts. Does the obligation go away now? It just doesn't make sense to me, since he's still part of the clan.

Some I can see going away. If you have an obligation of "Nemesis." and you kill the guy, that one is done. But others, like Wanted by the Empire or something like that, I don't see how they'd just fade away.

If I remember correctly, you can never fully get rid of an Obligation. It can be bought down to 1 point, but it will always still exist.

For something related to a nemesis, even if you kill him, surely he's got friends/family/associates that wouldn't be too happy to see him gone, so an obligation related to him would start referring instead to those people.

And yeah, a Wanted by the Empire or Debt to Clan has a really good reason to always stick around, but it can fluctuate. Did you just help the Clan out? Then they're more willing to let you keep to your own devices for a few weeks; obligation goes down. Did you just do something big and dramatic that pissed off the Emperor? They're going to be on a manhunt for you for a while; Obligation goes up.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

vuk83 posted:

Do you have AoR. There are rules for rolling gunnery attacks together.

Are these the Barrage attacks in the starship combat section, or is there something else you're talking about?

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Are these the Barrage attacks in the starship combat section, or is there something else you're talking about?

The same.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
So how does mail work in Star Wars? For example, I want my crew to receive a message from a relative... but how would that relative go about getting in contact with a renegade crew during the early years of the rebellion? The holonet is controlled by the Imperials I believe, so that would mean what? Message Droids? An E-mail system I'm unaware of?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well in Rebels, the rebels are able to physically capture a broadcast a communications tower and broadcast a message on the local holonet. The imperials respond by destroying the tower, requiring them to physically shuttle droids between the surface and ships in orbit. There's also a rogue senator that's able to hijack a transmission and insert his own message He's actually working with the imperials, which may explain how he can "hijack" the signal, but the rebel group believe that it's genuine, so it's possible. They're also able to have holo transmissions with a secret rebel contact, but who knows the details of that.

I think the general consensus is "who knows" so do whatever makes the most sense for your story I guess?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Bounce a signal off a deep space communications satellite using your subspace transceiver

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

alg posted:

Bounce a signal off a deep space communications satellite using your subspace transceiver

Make a ΔΔΔ Mechanics check to realign the navigational deflector dish first, and it just might work.

:techno:

:ughh: make it so...

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Looselybased posted:

So how does mail work in Star Wars? For example, I want my crew to receive a message from a relative... but how would that relative go about getting in contact with a renegade crew during the early years of the rebellion? The holonet is controlled by the Imperials I believe, so that would mean what? Message Droids? An E-mail system I'm unaware of?

Via Holonet, though since the Empire owns and controls the network, I imagine Rebellion folks make sure to never mention anything incriminating (or at least, use ciphers of some sort), use extremely powerful encrypytion, slice into Holonet servers, and/or set up something like the Shadowfeed. Or maybe Rebel sympathizers connect mail packets and broadcast the messages themselves on encrypted channels in Rebel systems.

Really whatever sounds coolest to you and your group, I guess.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I prefer to imagine all intergalactic communications are handled via smuggled R2 units

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Azhais posted:

I prefer to imagine all intergalactic communications are handled via smuggled R2 units

drat it! This isn't the letter from Auntie Nora about how Uncle Frank is doing, its just some plans for a planet destroying weapon!

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
Maybe Bothans are galactic mailmen, but they are just really really bad at their job.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
You should be able to bounce signals through hyperspace transceiver systems (think of it like a telegraph relay system), although you run the risk of the message being intercepted and/or arriving too late.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

PantsOptional posted:

You should be able to bounce signals through hyperspace transceiver systems (think of it like a telegraph relay system), although you run the risk of the message being intercepted and/or arriving too late.

alg posted:

Thanks guys, I will probably do something along these lines. I like that Star Wars has weird retro-futurist tech. Wired headsets, Gun batteries straight out of WW2 and "telegram" offices where you have to check in with a hyperspace transceiver when you enter a system in order to retrieve your mail. My crew is out on the fringes so it makes sense that they don't just get their mail conveniently on their ship through the holonet.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Swags posted:

Late to the party but if it actually was the Crucible that would be a huge gold mine of plot hooks and story to pull from.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Maybe Bothans are galactic mailmen, but they are just really really bad at their job.

The service is fine, it's just there are very few senior employees and information security is poo poo.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Swags posted:

If you want even more complications, the benefactor might not actually give them a ship, but help them steal one from an enemy and cover their tracks.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
SWTOR has some really cool looking ships in several distinct styles that would serve a decent size party pretty well. I think they have floorplans up on their website somewhere.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Living starship. Exterior is covered in eyes. Every door is a sphincter.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

echopapa posted:

I didn't realise this was the Dark Heresy thread

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

echopapa posted:

I already suggested the Lexx tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I think in the end I might go with this one because I think it looks neat. I've always had a thing for Lambda Shuttle-esque ships that have to fold up to land.