Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Just curious: why do people care about tail numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

For me, it's honestly just sperging to know if/when/how many times I've been on the plane I'm about to board before.

It's also neat to know how many different airplanes I've been on.

↓↓ Edit: And the really nerdy among us write our own flight log database to do it. ;) Though my actual flights aren't nearly as impressive as yours.

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 19, 2015

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
And for the nerdier among us, we keep track of all the airports, aircraft, seats, etc that we've been on.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got a recommendation for folding laptop?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

caberham posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for folding laptop?

I really like my Lenovo T430, but it is no longer available. I wanted one with a dvd-rom in it. I think the newer T440s are well reviewed.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Does anyone know how big of hard-asses United can be about check-in luggage size? I need to grab some new luggage, and most of the bags that are big enough for 2 week trips seem to run just over United's "62 linear Inches" rule.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What the gently caress are you packing that you need a bag that big for two weeks? Have you decided to forego laundry?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

What the gently caress are you packing that you need a bag that big for two weeks? Have you decided to forego laundry?

I mostly travel to Japan and I want it to hold souvenirs and other crap as well as clothing, toiletries, etc. And I'm talking about 28" bags that like are 1-5" over the official policy, not like huge rear end trunks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

jesus christ I travelled for almost a month across 7 countries and winter/summer seasons and didn't need a suitcase that big.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

A coworker told me that she stopped bringing tooth brushes because her hotels all provide them.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

A coworker told me that she stopped bringing tooth brushes because her hotels all provide them.

And think of the space savings!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

While that is generally true, hotel tooth brushes are poo poo toothbrushes. I generally only hit up the hotel for complimentary toiletries if I had a checked bag that got waylaid (or more often I got waylaid while the bag made it to my final destination) or if I run out of toothpaste the night before I leave.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yet those motherfuckers won't give me a contact lens case.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

sellouts posted:

jesus christ I travelled for almost a month across 7 countries and winter/summer seasons and didn't need a suitcase that big.

You do if you have to hand out boxes of sweets to a ton of people after the trip.

Stores that sell only these things make up like 60% of the country:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenjouUtena posted:

Does anyone know how big of hard-asses United can be about check-in luggage size? I need to grab some new luggage, and most of the bags that are big enough for 2 week trips seem to run just over United's "62 linear Inches" rule.

They're usually not tough on size in my experience. Weight is where they get on you.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Midjack posted:

They're usually not tough on size in my experience. Weight is where they get on you.

Same here. As long as it's not demonstrably bigger, you'll be fine. It's the weight that will kill you if you're over.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TenjouUtena posted:

I mostly travel to Japan and I want it to hold souvenirs and other crap as well as clothing, toiletries, etc. And I'm talking about 28" bags that like are 1-5" over the official policy, not like huge rear end trunks.

It also depends on which airport you are flying out. In my experience, Asian airports tend not to care as much but domestic US or international US carriers are more stringent. As King of useless shopping, there's a much better way to handle this. First of all,

1. Order all your poo poo through your favourite online store and have the items delivered to your hotel. Things like specialty clothing, 2nd hand specialty camera lens, seafood from another region
  2. Get collapsible large tote bags. They look ugly as poo poo like this but they are collapsible. It's for your non expensive food souvenirs like Tokyo Banana, Gremercy New York Cheese cakes, and whatever delicious you can find in Mitsukoshi.

3. Stuff all the Yoichi's you can afford. Remember, duty free recently stopped stocking up Yoichi whisky because all the mainland Chinese have bought crazy boatloads of them. I guess you can have Nikka malt's as well.
  4. If it's non perishable items for your self then use black cat forwarding and ship everything back home in a big box
  5. Bring a large duffel bag carry on like an Osprey Transporter 60 for any last minute shopping in NRT. NRT has the best shopping in the world by far. And the restaurants are actually good.
  6. Meet some Tokyo and Japan goons, they are a cool crowd

Midjack posted:

It's really easy to hit 30 kg in no time. This is from my trip to AMERICA :911: a few years ago. Wish i brought another suit case

Thoguh posted:

While that is generally true, hotel tooth brushes are poo poo toothbrushes. I generally only hit up the hotel for complimentary toiletries if I had a checked bag that got waylaid (or more often I got waylaid while the bag made it to my final destination) or if I run out of toothpaste the night before I leave.

I grab as many hotel slippers and toiletries I can for guests - No one actually visits my home. Ever. I wish hotels offered shaving blades but not all hotels do that :smith:

caberham fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 21, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

I grab as many hotel slippers and toiletries I can for guests - No one actually visits my home. Ever. I wish hotels offered shaving blades but not all hotels do that :smith:

Glad I'm not the only one who does that. The bottom drawer in my bathroom is full of single use stuff from hotels/airlines. I've also got a handful of Delta amenity kits and overnight bags that I give to anybody who is staying over and short something.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who does that. The bottom drawer in my bathroom is full of single use stuff from hotels/airlines. I've also got a handful of Delta amenity kits and overnight bags that I give to anybody who is staying over and short something.

I do the same. My guest bathroom is stocked with so much Holiday Inn Express stuff its crazy.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

we collect them in my office and donate them to homeless children's shelters.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
That's actually a really good idea. Even though I know it costs pennies, I still feel bad using the toothbrush from a kit once and then eventually tossing the whole thing.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

A friend of mine drops their excess toiletry kits/etc off at the USO branch at their home airport at the end of their trips.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

A friend of mine drops their excess toiletry kits/etc off at the USO branch at their home airport at the end of their trips.

I'll have to look into either this, or the women's/children's shelter. I have at least 4x the amount any guest would reasonably need, and I'm still accumulating more.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I just bring home hotel soap, shampoos and conditioners. Keeps the wife and daughters happy for some reason.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

My office travels a lot, so we usually have a bankers box to donate a month.

But I often say gently caress it and don't bring them home. :devil:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Looks like I'll be in China at the end of next month. First trip out there. Any advice regarding laptop/phone/etc? Should I try to find or setup a VPN for my communications prior to rolling out?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Yes. I'm now setting up my VPN stuff after arriving and it's a lot more annoying than it needs to be. Just test everything before you leave Free Internet Land.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bloodnose posted:

Yes. I'm now setting up my VPN stuff after arriving and it's a lot more annoying than it needs to be. Just test everything before you leave Free Internet Land.

Let me know if you find something that works well, mobile + desktop.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Astrill is satisfactory, but I wish I had gone with Vypr.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I've got a Linksys E2500 flashed with the DD-WRT VPN build and HostVPN as a provider (endpoint in Japan). Worked like a boss all last week while I was in Beijing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Happy travel story: I had a reservation at a Marriott booked, but had to take emergency PTO due to an illness in the family. I didn't cancel the reservation until 2 days into the reservation, but emailed Marriott anyways to see if they would waive the late cancellation fee. I received a very kind reply from one of their customer care reps, who took the trouble to call the hotel manager, explain the situation, and get the fee waived.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Doing HKG to DFW on AA's 777-300ER, anyone know if MCE in 16E (the very middle) is easy to get in-out of? All the Aisles are taken up in MCE and I prefer to be able to move around if I want/need to.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
gently caress a middle seat, don't care if it's MCE or Comfort+ or whatever poo poo.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Just booked EK J :getin: on a 772 :getout:

Assuming AS Mileage Plan is the best place to credit the miles to if I don't fly EK frequently enough to make Skywards useful?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Pissingintowind posted:

Just booked EK J :getin: on a 772 :getout:

Assuming AS Mileage Plan is the best place to credit the miles to if I don't fly EK frequently enough to make Skywards useful?

That's what I'd do.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

FunOne posted:

Doing HKG to DFW on AA's 777-300ER, anyone know if MCE in 16E (the very middle) is easy to get in-out of? All the Aisles are taken up in MCE and I prefer to be able to move around if I want/need to.

Here is a quote (not me) from seatguru on your seat

"Row 16 seems the best row in MCE. BUT, I would opt for the lateral seats. DEF seats had people climbing over during the flight to change aisles. The leg room is good, but the latteral seats (ABC & JKL) have tons more leg room."

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_777-300_ER.php

Looks like people will be using that area to cross the aisle to get to the bathrooms. You are in an exit row, so there should be lots of leg room. Entry/exit should be no problem.

I was really considering AA137 to HKG for an upcoming vacation, but I have been reading a lot of bad stuff about American's service. I recently flew them to PTY and was not impressed at all. I usually fly Delta, so I think I will choose DL 281 instead.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 5, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

AA's service on the 773 was better than any I had on Cathay flights of similar length.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Service on nearly any airline can vary widely from crew to crew. Take the flight that works best for you and hope for the best.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So coming up on halfway through the year, where is everyone at status-wise?

Delta: Just hit silver. Got 8 more segments remaining this month, and no signs of slowing down for the next few months with a few West coast trips in there. Should hit gold easily by October-ish and have some carry-over miles and segments for next year since I won't be hitting platinum or diamond.
IHG: I already 15 nights over maintaining platinum for the next year, and I should have enough for whatever this new membership tier is that's coming in July. Also, with this "Share Forever" promotion that they are doing I should hit the maximum number of nights, so that's another 130k or so points in my account. Should finally push me over a million.
National: already maintained executive and I'm only a few rentals away from executive elite for the next year.

I think once this IHG promotion ends I'm going to switch over to Hilton to try and get status with them again, even though I think their points program is worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DJCobol posted:

So coming up on halfway through the year, where is everyone at status-wise?

Delta: Just hit silver. Got 8 more segments remaining this month, and no signs of slowing down for the next few months with a few West coast trips in there. Should hit gold easily by October-ish and have some carry-over miles and segments for next year since I won't be hitting platinum or diamond.
IHG: I already 15 nights over maintaining platinum for the next year, and I should have enough for whatever this new membership tier is that's coming in July. Also, with this "Share Forever" promotion that they are doing I should hit the maximum number of nights, so that's another 130k or so points in my account. Should finally push me over a million.
National: already maintained executive and I'm only a few rentals away from executive elite for the next year.

I think once this IHG promotion ends I'm going to switch over to Hilton to try and get status with them again, even though I think their points program is worthless.

Delta: I've hit Gold and am actually on track to end up Diamond, but I forsee less travel in the second half of the year and expect to re-qualify for Platinum with some rollover. Should hit the miles for Platinum in early July and the MQDs in August.
Hilton: At 54 nights, will re-qualify for Diamond by the end of June
Marriott: At 5 nights, once I hit Diamond on Hilton I'll start moving some stays over to Marriott to re-qualify for Silver, which isn't much, but is better than nothing
National: I'm still not sure how they count days because I should have as many rental car days as I have hotel nights. But I've re-qualifed for Executive already and will miss Executive Elite by 10 or 15 days, I think.

I've got top tier IHG & Hertz Status through credit cards/Delta but I haven't actually used either so far this year.

I should calculate how many fewer RDMs I've gotten from Delta with the 2015 program but that would just make me mad so I'll wait and only do that at the end of the year.